Smash 5 possible characters and stages?

Sentacotus

Lucina and Roy are very un-unique (especially Lucina) representatives of a very oversaturated series that's almost guaranteed to get a new rep in Smash 5 (they're going to want to advertise whatever the latest FE game is at the time). Lucina's odds of returning are on par with Cloud's, and Roy's are only slightly better. Hell, if Sakurai doesn't return to make Smash 5, I'd say even Ike is vulnerable (though much less so than Roy or Lucina. And he's safe as long as Sakurai returns). And Dark Pit might not have the same problems as they do (Kid Icarus might not even have a new game by the time Smash 5 comes out),but his inclusion in Smash 4 was more despised than any other character on the roster's.

As for newcomers, like I said this will be very hard to predict. I'm trying not to fall into the trap of assuming that a character being relevant now means that they'll still be relevant 5+ years from now. However, like most people here, I think the Inklings are pretty likely. Splatoon isn't really my type of game, but it's hard to deny that it's basically the most successful new IP Nintendo has had in years, and I'm not going to be the one making the new Smash game anyway so who cares what I think (and even if I was, I'm not enough of a self-centered asshole to exclude highly popular characters just because I personally don't like them). In addition, representatives from whatever the latest FE game and Pokemon generation are at the time are both virtually guaranteed, along with maybe a rep from a new IP or two. Maybe Metroid and Donkey Kong will finally get proper representation, but probably not with Sakurai at the helm because he has a huge hate boner for those series. Yacht Club Games needs to establish Shovel Knight as a series if they want him to have a chance, because a one-off indie game that will be at least seven years old by the time Smash 5 comes out doesn't have a chance in hell of having its star represented in Smash. I think another Xenoblade rep may be possible,especially since Xenoblade Chronicles X has a clear sequel hook at the end (hopefully that's not too much of a spoiler) that makes it look likely that the series will grow from here. However, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn ended with a clear sequel hook, too, and nothing ever came of that. If no more Xenoblade games come out between now and Smash 5, I'll have to agree with RFoF and say that another rep is unlikely. And, even if more games do come out, no way in hell are we getting a third rep for the series (unless Sakurai himself becomes a huge fanboy of the series, since we all know how good he is at not letting his biases get the better of him).

bolded: the stuff of my nightmares

also yes, hopefully sakurai gets a deep passionate love and I get gifted Fiora and Elma

(also Starfy and Andy because I will never forget)

(also Chibi-Robo but he's dead and that's that because at least Starfy and AW have some appeal and a chance ;_;)

EDIT: also "Sakurai bias" has always been to my benefit so it doesn't exist

Edited by Freyjadour

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucina's odds of returning are on par with Cloud's

Yo, that's a bit too pessimistic. Lucina is a first party Nintendo character, Cloud is from a company that apparently didn't want him to even speak English in Smash.

While I'm unsure of Lucina's chances, I think she stands a better chance of returning than Roy. I also don't think we'll see a Fire Emblem newcomer in the next Smash regardless of whether or not a new FE comes out in time (Especially since any candidate will probably just be another blue-haired swordsman). Sakurai has already gone on record saying he worried that 6 FE characters might be overdoing it.

I'd like to see Cloud return. I'd like to see Terra join him.

but considering opening - bombing mission, beware the forest mushrooms, and the chocobo theme couldn't even be licensed for more than a direct or trailer the outlook seems bleak

Honestly, other than Shovel Knight, I have no idea who a fourth character would be. Sakurai emphasized industry trends with the choices of this game and in interviews, and so Shovel Knight is the only other game that fits in with this "industry trend" stuff. Maybe Dixie Kong, but guys like K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac, etc are all old school and not "trendy".

Xenoblade will likely only get a second character if we get a third game between Smash U and Smash 5, and it will be the main character of that game. We could have gotten Elma (or more realistically Cross) instead of Corrin as the "advertise a recent game" slot than Corrin filled.

Inkling might be similar but the chances for a sequel are much higher given that Nintendo is in charge of developing it, and not a second studio. In my mind, having Spla2n will only further confirm Inklings as Smash calibur. Most of the Miiverse posts in Splatoon following its launch were about how much they'd fit in Smash, which was right after the ballot came out.

Also, what does Elma have that Inkling does not have, besides the ability to not be downloadable on a basic 8GB Wii U?

I'm quite confident that most of the newcomers for Smash 5 will be from games developed on the Wii U, NX, 3DS and 3DS successor, given that they will be "trendy".

I also don't think we'll see a Fire Emblem newcomer in the next Smash regardless of whether or not a new FE comes out in time (Especially since any candidate will probably just be another blue-haired swordsman). Sakurai has already gone on record saying he worried that 6 FE characters might be overdoing it.

Nah, we'll get another white-haired avatar character with the male as the default so we can't get the female amiibo.

While I enjoy how most of the characters in Smash 4 play, I feel if there is a Smash 5, they need to take their time with every character to the point of care that Megaman, Ryu and Bayonetta have gotten, make them all feel like how they absolutely should, and not be afraid to change up movesets from the past.

Maybe thats too high of expectations.

I think if they used the next game to refine what we have here, we'd be in good business. I think the cast of Smash 4 for as big as it is, is highly workable other than a few exceptions.

The only character I truly want more than anybody else is Samurai Goroh.

Who will never get into Smash, not even if Sakurai developed the next F-Zero.

Anyway, I too expect a Smash for NX! (aka a Smash 4 NX version)

And hopefully K. Rool and/or Dixie will get in... right? ... right?

Well, at least the Inklings are a given, go inklings!

I'd also like a second Xenoblade rep, like Elma! Althought in my deepest impossible dreams, that is Melia, because she is the best. <3 Melia <3

Then I'd love to see Takamaru along with a Nazo no Murasame Jo revival... hmm... Smash needs a sexy handsome samurai, c'mon.

Maybe... I dunno.. throw us F-Zero losers a bone and put in Black Shadow as a Falcon clone...

As for new third party reps, even if I'm pretty sure we will get new ones, I'm not really keen on them, even if I do like some of the third party reps very much.

If I must talk about other things other than characters...:

• Splatoon stage! Anything goes for me except Arowana Mall, fuck that, grumble grumble.
  • Oblivia (Xeno X) stage!
  • A new F-Zero stage made from ground up D: it is all I ask for, as an F-Zero fan... sob...
  • Rhythm Heaven stage.

I'd also like a better single player experience. The board game in the Wii U version is terrible and certainly not for casual play with people who never touched Smash before. I'd love the return of Adventure Mode, or a Subspace Emissary with Nintendo levels and enemies.

EDIT: also "Sakurai bias" has always been to my benefit so it doesn't exist

Oh, I understand everything now :facepalm: I kind of regret writing that long ass post in that other thread now.

Oh, I understand everything now :facepalm: I kind of regret writing that long ass post in that other thread now.

Don't worry, we'll get good discussion between you and I, I hope.

Personal request for Smash 5, my inner child desires a stage based on the Spirit Temple from Ocarina of Time

Looking forward to it!

I have a lot of opinions on Smash, as of late, so I have a feeling it might drag for a bit, hahahah.

As long as you give me time to reply ^^. I'm good with it, I always enjoy a good discussion about smash.

Looking forward to it!

I have a lot of opinions on Smash, as of late, so I have a feeling it might drag for a bit, hahahah.

There may be bias, but I honesty cannot see why you'd complain if you got who you voted for the ballot. I mean, if Shulk wasn't in the base game and was a ballot character, any complaints I have would be completely gone whatsoever.

I don't see the whole Sakurai bias thing; my post was sarcasm. Most of the KI stuff is terrible ripped content in the 3DS version. Mother has two assist trophies. KI had zero assists in Brawl unlike almost every other series. Pit only got a few new moves in the first place, being Upperdash, Guardian Orbitars, and Power of Flight. By that merit, Falco in Brawl got more differences than Pit did now. Palutena has unique custom specials yes, but they all are KIU Powers. It's highly likely it didn't take very long. Considering how Palutena's standard specials are garbage, this is better than her being irredeemable. The KI content is pretty much nonexistent. There are few trophies. There are two stages in Skyworld. That's just the same as a bunch of DK Jungle stages. All that's left are one slightly changed veteran, one newcomer, and one cloney clone.

also I totally would love hades too but w/e

Kirby got stuff from Super Star which is bad. That's actually a negative. Both GCO and Halberd are from SS, and Dream Land GB and Dream Land 64 are both based on Kirby's Dream Land. It pretty much crushed my dreams. I wanted a Patch Land stage more than any other stage or even just some Epic Yarn music or CROWNED. Dream Land 64 brought really good music though.

Fire Emblem got a ton of characters but almost nothing else. Lyn's model looks bad and all the new music are medleys. I really would rather have Chrom than Robin and Lucina and then have Roy like he is in the DLC in the base game. Then, the DLC for June could have been Lucas, Wolf/Squirtle/Pichu(?), and Ryu. Corrin could have been default Female. My favorite Lord is Chrom, so Marth, Ike, Chrom, Roy, and F!Corrin sounds pretty great to me.

Guess some smart / possible additions could be ...

Darmani, the Goron Leader from Zelda OoT

Bomberman

Banjo-Kazooie

Shovel Knight and Shantae too?

As for Stages, I think one relative to each character, like ...

Goron City?

A typical bomberman level with many brick blocks and random bombs destroying them. You know, like in Bomberman levels ... w/e.

Spiral Mountain. Careful with Gruntilda when lands some of her terrifying spells!

Etc ...

And perhaps, the most astounding, incredible, yet essential character ...

One-Punch-Man-PV.jpg

Screw Goku and company. Anime was a mistake.

Edited by Edrall

As a lot of others have said I imagine a new smash would be the same "system" as 4. I don't see Lucina and Dark Pit returning since they are just reskins of Marth and pit. I unfortunately don't see cloud returning either, but hope I am wrong. If not I am hoping for at least Cecil Harvey in his place. I don't see a new fire emblem rep coming, unless it's a non sword user. Which I say it's about time. Fire emblem has more weapons than swords and has an entire weapon triangle that needs two more weapons that need representatives.

As a lot of others have said I imagine a new smash would be the same "system" as 4. I don't see Lucina and Dark Pit returning since they are just reskins of Marth and pit. I unfortunately don't see cloud returning either, but hope I am wrong. If not I am hoping for at least Cecil Harvey in his place. I don't see a new fire emblem rep coming, unless it's a non sword user. Which I say it's about time. Fire emblem has more weapons than swords and has an entire weapon triangle that needs two more weapons that need representatives.

hector or ephraim plox

Yeah, more characters the roster has, the more likely each character will be less effort put into them. Same reason Pokemon gens keep getting less new Pokemon. Only so much they can add

Neither of these are even true.

Smash 4 newcomers are some of the most unique. The ones just brought up (Megaman, Ryu, Bayonetta) are all newcomers, with one being the literal last character to join. As for Pokemon, gen 6 had the least added of any gen, but gen 5 had the most added of any gen, even beating out gen 1 (the odd gens have always added more than the even gens).

I wouldn't mind some older characters getting different stuff, but I think Sakurai wants to keep everyone's moveset mostly the same to keep fans of each character happy. That's probably why we still have Falcondorf.

I wouldn't mind some older characters getting different stuff, but I think Sakurai wants to keep everyone's moveset mostly the same to keep fans of each character happy. That's probably why we still have Falcondorf.

Yet we have changes like Bowser and Pit in this game, among other little things. I really think they need to look over Zelda and actually figure out how to make her actually work, instead of making her a glass cannon who can't approach.

The only character that I can expect are Inkling and a new Pokémon (heck, after that Sakurai's post, I doubt that he puts a Fire Emblem Character for the relevance/recency sake unless (s)he is really unique and Sakurai can't resist). Maybe Takamaru has a good shot now... And... that is all.

It will be hard predict the new characters with most of the popular series and "All-Star" Characters already represented in Smash Bros.

But I will continue supporting Micaiah anyway :3

Yet we have changes like Bowser and Pit in this game, among other little things. I really think they need to look over Zelda and actually figure out how to make her actually work, instead of making her a glass cannon who can't approach.

They were redone a bit, but they weren't completely revamped. They still play rather similarly.

As others have said, another Pokemon and Inklings are the only shoo-in candidates, as far as I'm concerned.

Zelda didn't get any new characters in Sm4sh so I think they'll get someone. Maybe they'll have Impa based on her Hyrule warriors portrayal. I think it likely the Fire Emblem roster will shrink to Marth, Ike, Robin and Kamui but it's possible the next FE protagonist will get in if Sakurai is still in charge,

Isaac, Andy or Krystal would be neat.

I will continue to advocate for Ridley and continue to be disappointed.

Lucina and Roy are very un-unique (especially Lucina) representatives of a very oversaturated series that's almost guaranteed to get a new rep in Smash 5 (they're going to want to advertise whatever the latest FE game is at the time). Lucina's odds of returning are on par with Cloud's, and Roy's are only slightly better. Hell, if Sakurai doesn't return to make Smash 5, I'd say even Ike is vulnerable (though much less so than Roy or Lucina. And he's safe as long as Sakurai returns). And Dark Pit might not have the same problems as they do (Kid Icarus might not even have a new game by the time Smash 5 comes out), but his inclusion in Smash 4 was more despised than any other character on the roster's

if they decide to make them palette swaps again and have spare time then all the clones have a decent chance of returning and please don't be one of those people that says roy is still a clone.