Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Or something like that. Even if their names are different, they're still the same on the inside. Unless they got Henry'd.

you can argue otherwise. depends on how strict you want to be though. like most of the Awakening cast, you can argue they're slightly different because of how they speak or what they say (like critical lines). that viewpoint almost definitely means localized chars are always different from the originals though so you don't have to take it

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too bothered with the name changes. I mostly prefer the original Japanese names, but the localized ones aren't anything I won't get used to.

--Changes I like--

Tsukuyomi > Hayato: Less of a mouthful, and I kinda like the latter name for some reason.

Benoit > Benny: The latter just sounds so cute, matching his truly gentle nature, and I like that.

Eponine > Nina: The Les Mis reference was neat, but I think Nina is really cute.

Yuugiri > Reina: Very pretty name, I like it.

Crimson > Scarlet: Again, I just plain like the new name a lot.

--Changes I plain don't like--

Marx > Xander: Marx just sounds far more mature, and the character is like the definition of mature.

Leon > Leo: Leon sounds more regal. When I think of "Leo", I think of a more wild guy, which he totally isn't.

Joker > Jakob: I'm just not a fan of the name Jakob.

Zero > Niles: Thanks to 90's television, I associate the name Niles with someone who's either high class or prim and proper, which is not at all like Zero.

Mozume > Mozu: What kind of name is Mozu?!

Matoi > Caeldori: I'm expecting it to be pronounced like "Kayl-dohri" and what kind of abomination is that?!

--Changes that just kind of bug me, but I'll get over it--

Tsubaki > Subaki: Like it just seems unnecessary and changes the meaning.

Harold > Arthur: I don't understand why they didn't just leave it alone, I mean they left Charlotte. Why not Harold?

Pieri > Peri: Curse you, Peri the platyp-- I mean, uhh...

Nishiki > Kaden: Just... why?

Syalla > Rhajat: Like... how do you pronounce this even. I'm just saying it like the tiger from Aladdin.

Macbeth > Iago: I just can't think of anything else other than a loudmouth parrot.

The rest I'm pretty much okay with. Although it bothers me seeing Ryouma, Saizou, and Kagerou without the "U's" I can see why they changed them in order to make things more in-line with how English speakers pronounce stuff. I know enough people who butcher their pronunciation of Japanese names as is. Either way, I'm not gonna let any name changes ruin anything for me.

Just some possibly reasonings/name pronunciations for some of your dislikes/not-preferred names.

Leo, I presume was chosen due to the zodiac sign, which is a lion, which is usually associated with someone who is regal. Makes sense given Leo is a Nohrian prince.

Caeldori, I'm guessing it'll be Kale-door-ee due to Cael being pronounced like the horribly tasting bland leafy green.

Iago, comes from Othello, which is a Shakespearean play same with Macbeth. Plus if you know Othello, it makes sense for Iago (Macbeth works as well, however)

Nina: Given Zero's name change, I think this is kinda cute.

Wow. I did not realize this. This makes both Niles and Nina so much better! Great catch.

Niles, while I preferred Zero, it is going to take some time to get used to, but it does contain "Nil" so it keeps the "Zero" reference.

Eponine to Nina is also alright, it stays close enough to the original name and is a cute name in it's own right.

But when you make the connection between both, that's just so clever.

It's nice to see that at least some of the name changes had some thought put into them.

Leo and Xander got changed because communism. Marx and Leon? Even if it wasn't intended, the connection is pretty obvious. I kinda wish that they actually ran with it though and made Nohr actually communist in ideals. Garon's father could've written the Nohrian Manifesto and Garon could've been the Stalin-expy, with Marx and co. eventually overthrowing him and restoring the Motherland to it's full glory!

During the speculation period, people put a lot of stock into the "muh communism" theory, even though they had at most two names that fit the pattern. Would it really be that bad if Marx brought to mind communism? It's not like the elder brothers were named Hitler and Goebbels.

Half the time I hear the name Marx I think of the kirby villain.

On the bright side regarding Kaze, Hana, and Mozu, they're still Japanese names, just shortened. While they're unnecessary changes, they still remained Japanese names like Reina and Hayato. Which I feel Yuugiri was changed to Reina due to the double U thing. Just a wild guess, though.

You can honestly blame the Japanese version for the anagram names. It wasn't necessary that they made anagrams of the Japanese names, but they did. NoA probably did that just to follow the unfortunate trend that caused some rather unfortunate looking/sounding names.

It's not like they HAD to use anagrams like the Japanese version. The purpose of a localization is to change things that sound dumb or unfitting. Now they did it in reverse. At least Matoi is a real Japanese name, and Shara sounds like it could be Japanese. Caeldori sounds like a pasta dish.

Edited by NekoKnight

During the speculation period, people put a lot of stock into the "muh communism" theory, even though they had at most two names that fit the pattern. Would it really be that bad if Marx brought to mind communism? It's not like the elder brothers were named Hitler and Goebbels.

I'm pretty sure those were the only two names known at the time (maybe Camilla to, but I don't remember that well). There were also the details going around that Nohr was a barren land with very little resources to go around with the common class supposedly suffering the most. Hell, the main goal of Nohr is to invade a Japanese-inspired nation (Eastern Front shout-out?), so there was more than just names to it. In hindsight, I actually really wish Nohr had more of a communist feel to it, if only because it might've made Conquest more interesting.

Just some possibly reasonings/name pronunciations for some of your dislikes/not-preferred names.

Leo, I presume was chosen due to the zodiac sign, which is a lion, which is usually associated with someone who is regal. Makes sense given Leo is a Nohrian prince.

Caeldori, I'm guessing it'll be Kale-door-ee due to Cael being pronounced like the horribly tasting bland leafy green.

Iago, comes from Othello, which is a Shakespearean play same with Macbeth. Plus if you know Othello, it makes sense for Iago (Macbeth works as well, however)

Thanks for the insight, I like these reasonings. I just wish my own personal mental associations wouldn't ruin everything, lol. Ah well, there are very few names which I would truly call "bad," just ones that I'm not all that happy about thanks to personal preference. I'm glad that the localization team actually did their homework with many of these.

Lmao, I never thought about this, but now I can't unthink it. Thanks so much...

Don't really understand why they changed a cool fitting name for a spellcaster "Tsukuyomi" and give him a cool but common name like "Hayato".

And Yuugiri was my favorite name of the game. (Even if I like Reina too)

Don't like Caeldori and Rhajat.

Benoit to Benny is stupid (maybe because I'm French and Benoit is a French name)

Pieri to Peri is unnecessary.

Crimson > Scarlet is normal I think.

I'm scratching my head over Nishiki > Kaden.

I'm not gonna comment on Laslow... -_-

The rest is cool. But I'm not to confident for Flannel and Asyura.

I've been formulating a theory regarding some of the shortening of the Japanese names. Perhaps it's because they sounded to similar to other names. People might mix up Kazahana with "Kaze". As for why they changed Suzukaze, maybe it's to differentiate it from a name yet to be revealed (maybe they changed Shinonome) or possibly Saizo.

My problem in general is that they seem a bit too trigger happy with the name changes. I mean, Harold -> Arthur,.. come on really!? The only reason I can think of for the change is that they only know the names as they are written in Japanese and couldn't discern that ハロルド was Harold. But that's really unsettling if that was the case.

A few more specific name changes: Benoit -> Benny. I'm fine with having it be his nickname, but it bugs me that it is his official name I mean, look at Donnel. He's called Donny, but is still officially Donnel.

Berka-> Beruka. I thought it was dumb at first, but then I started pronouncing like "Veruca" and I've been fine with it. I wish they used a "C" though. Otherwise it just looks like Engrish

Edited by Pete-of-the-Forge

The only one I really like is Selena, and I think Benny's pretty cute for him (even though I hated it at first - I still wish he remained just Benoit). I don't care too much about the others, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Hana and Subaki irk me a little because of Sakura's flower themed team, and Beruka is somewhat weird, but the only name that actually irritates me is Caeldori. It doesn't mean ANYTHING, it's not even an actual name. If they wanted to use anagrams to choose her name why didn't they just pick Doralice? It's a name and still an anagram of Cordelia...

I'm kinda preoccupied about what they'll name not!Gaius at this point. Usagi for the win

I'm irritated about the name changes.

Tsubaki to Subaki is the most cringe worth for me because, as someone pointed out, we have the word "tsunami" in our vocabulary. At the very least, most that have a decent grip of English would be able to pronounce it--with or without the subtle ts sound.

Suzukaze and Kazahana irk me a bit because, while a mouthful, they are not hard whatsoever. If they change Shinonome, I will shake my head. Yuugiri's name was awesome; I don't really like Reina. Matoi to Caeldori? What will Gurei's name be? Gusai? Iguas? Some other inane combination that will make me cringe into oblivion?

For Nohr, I'm neutral. The amount of irritation and satisfaction balance each other out.

Benoit to Benny irks me. Are they going to change Ignis to Iggy? Will they change Siegbert to Sieggy? Zero to Niles, I like. Joker to Jakob, I liked. Marx to Xander, I like. Leon to Leo, I'm neutral--it's only one letter. What was the point?

Belka to Beruka? What the flip? They changed it to the Japanese character pronunciation? Should it not be the other way around? Should it not have been left alone?

Lazward to Laslow?

Are you serious? It took me forever to get used to Lazward, now you change it to something even worse?

What irks me the most isn't the changes, it's the fact that it makes it seem like were are unable to read relatively simple names. If one does not know how to pronounce a word, one sounds it out, as one should have been taught in Elementary school. There is no need to "localize" the names on the Hoshido side; they have a feudal Japan (sort of) motif and the names should reflect that.

It reminds me of when Relvelations: Persona was localized and they changed entire physical aspects of characters to "westernize" them. What? Why would you even do that?

Honestly, this is probably what's going to happen to me when it finally releases and I see all the changes they've made, for better or for worse: https://giphy.com/gifs/6DrYAtQYRWpWg

Edited by SaiSymbolic

The Japanese sound "tsu" being changed to just "su" is bugging me more than I want it to.

But my only real grievance is Laslow. Should've been spelt as Laszlo but even with that I don't think the name suits Inigo's face well.

-Liam <-----

-Lars/z

-Leslie

Would have been more suitable alias choices for Inigo.

Edited by JasonsOrigin

Corrin: Kamui rolls off the tongue better

Azura: I like it, but I have been saying Aqua for so long it will be hard to shift

Jakob: Why do I find myself loving the silly name of, "Joker" better?

Silas, Scarlet, Benny: No comment, indifferent

Kaze: Oh, they shortened his name.

Mozu: Oh, they shortened her name.

Hana: Oh, they short- wait a sec.

Ryoma: ...Unnecessary?

Kagero: ...Unnecessary???

Saizo: Why??? His name looks so weird without the u at the end now! Unnecessary!

Azama, Rinkah, Leo, Fuga: Refer to the above 3 posts

Subaki, Gunter: These are ones I actually like, but it is still unnecessary

I'm just going to leave this list for now, everyone else I'm either confused at or I enjoy them.

My least favourite is definitely Tsubaki->Subaki. I didn't like it way back when it was first revealed and I still don't like it. Harold->Arthur is also up there for me. Being a history nerd, the removal of historical references irks me for sure.

For Zero->Niles, I'm okay with it but I like Zero more.

For Eponine->Nina I liked Eponine more and with this change I feel like Ophelia will also be changed to "Lia" or "Leah" or something. The names themselves are fine but it takes away the literature references.

I actually kind of like Tsukuyomi->Hayato because I feel like it suits him somehow?

I literally laughed out loud when I saw Laslow. I knew Lazward would be changed but really? Lazarus would have been waaay better. Or even Montoya to go with the Princess Bride reference.

I like Rhajat but I don't know about Caeldori. Surely there are better anagrams of Cordelia they could have gone with. Lol I wonder what Gaius will be.

I 100% expected Pieri to be changed to Peri. Thought as much as soon as her name was first revealed.

The idea of Benny being a nickname made me actually like it, even if it's just a headcanon.

I liked Belka better than Beruka, I like Azura, Reina and Scarlet but I don't like the shortening of Kaze, Hana, and Mozu and the overall removal of the letter U.

I desperately need to know what Flannel will be changed to.

Edited by Champion of Cookies

I actually kind of like the name Corrin. My issue with their name (Corrin as well as Kamui) is that I immediately think of Cardfight Vanguard, since there is a character in the show named Kamui and one named Kourin.

I also like Laslow a lot better than Lazward, but I wish it was spelled differently

First, let's talk about the names I don't like:

Personally the Nohrian name changes are mostly just pet peeves to me.

Marx -> Xander reminds me of the Zander fish. The name sounds a bit incomplete, and yes, they were trying to match mouth flaps, but Alexander just sounds much more regal. At least they didn't go with Alex. Otherise it is fine.

Leon -> Leo, such a small change, but it feels really unnecessary. Leon is a normal name were I come from. Leo sounds like his parents were too cool for school and tried to be edgy. It's still alright however.

Lazward -> Laslow, the one name I actually wanted to be changed. My idea was something like Lapis. Instead they went for an even weirder name.

Zero -> Niles, one I find really awful. Niles is a name I expect on people aged sixty and up.

Harold -> Arthur, I have no idea why they didn't want him to be named Harold. That would have worked much better than yet another Arthur.

Benoit -> Benny, the headcanon helps, but it still feels too on the nose.

Now with the Hoshidans, some of them actually tick me off a lot.

Kazahana, Suzukaze and Mozume -> Hana, Kaze and Mozu, It feels slightly insulting and in Mozu's case it makes her sound like a guy to me (and a very male Boss Number 3 was named like this in Japanese).

Tsubaki -> Subaki, again with the insults to our intelligence.

Nishiki -> Kaden, just why. This is literally the worst. A japanese fox spirit named like a wasp boy.

Shara -> Rhajat, ugh unfitting and unnecessary. I dislike names based on anagrams.

Caeldori -> Like above, only worse.

But I do like Nina for Eponine. Even with the lost literary referance, I just really love that name.

The rest I am either fine with in the end, or I just don't care.

I actually kind of like the name Corrin. My issue with their name (Corrin as well as Kamui) is that I immediately think of Cardfight Vanguard, since there is a character in the show named Kamui and one named Kourin.

Having Kamui as Kamui is fine - Kamui Katsuragi is pretty funny, and he sort-of grows up over the series. But Corrin as Kourin. . .NO (source: season 4). I think Sheena's pet is more fitting, and equally unacceptable.

Caeldori might look silly but it feels a lot better if you consider it a homage to Caeda

That would be wonderful, if she was born in Nohr.

Glad there's a lot less rage over Cyrus/Silas!

Caeldori might look silly but it feels a lot better if you consider it a homage to Caeda

New headcanon: Selena is her mother, so the name is a tsundere way of showing her love for her mother.

Rhajat wanted to sound special, and Gurei's localized name will be an attempt at identity theft gone horribly wrong.

I'm fairly certain that they're going to change "Shinonome" and probably "Hisame" as well.

"Sir, what about these names?"

"What are these? 'Shin-no-gnome' and 'Hee-saym'? Chage 'em."

Hopefully they keep them Japanese, at least, if they do alter them. I'm still confused about Nishiki's new name...

The only one I really hate is Crimson called Scarlet. I loved that Name! The rest is fine with me

I feel your pain. I liked the name Crimson as well. But I can live with Scarlet and still plan to marry her. At least her name is still a shade of red to match her armor.

I like most of them so far (even though it's going to be hard to remember their new names), but I can't stand Caeldori and Rhajat.

I mean, I know they couldn't do much, having to anagram names like Cordelia and Tharja, but they could have dropped that quirk entirely, instead of using those names.

I'll just have to get used to it, since I can't really pirate the game or anything (not that I would for something as little as a name change)

I hope NoE won't make other changes for Italy.

Edited by ThatDamnDuck