Characters that you found yourself liking? (Some spoilers)

Abysswalker25

When I first played Conquest and later played through Revelations, I found myself liking characters that I didn't really pay too much attention to originally.

An example of this would be Shura. At first he seemed pretty.. meh to me, but I ended up liking his supports with Corrin, and the fact he is a very useful archer/healer right off the bat when you get him. Another would be Felicia. I didn't care for her at all but she kind of grew on me the more I played the game.

Anyone else find a character that surprised you enough to be likable?

Charlotte. I thought she'd be a one-note, gimmicky fan service character (well, that part is still partially true) but she's got very nice supports that you wouldn't necessarily expect.

Another one would be Saizou. I thought "edgy ninja" when I saw him, but he's surprisingly important for a minor character in the main story and has good supports as well (just avoid the one with Hinoka as if it were fire).

And lastly, Flora. I'm not big on maids nor player worship, but she's more important than all the princesses combined in the main story, has her own motivations and cares about her backstory unlike her sister (I don't hate Felicia, I just find it sad that they made her unnecessarily bland by focusing too much on her gimmick). She's very cool, zing.

Edited by Thane

Characters who I thought I wouldn't like or were ambivalent to, but enjoyed after playing would be:

- Shura: I was expecting to be underwhelmed because I didn't think much of his design, but I rather liked his recruitment chapter in Conquest and found his backstory engaging. He's more complex than I would have originally given him credit for.

- Elise: I already gushed a bit about how much I liked her when I didn't think I would. Basically, she's an absolute ray of sunshine whose actions actually kind of make sense given her character, and embodies the theme of strong personal bonds trumping everything else - which is (sorta kinda) at the heart of Nohr's . . . whatever.

- Charlotte: Like Thane said, I knew I was getting a fanservice-y character, I just didn't know I was getting a pretty charming and surprisingly nuanced one. She's easily one of my favorite characters in the game.

- Flora: Again, I second that it's her personal motivations that make her so appealing. I figured she'd be as bland as Felicia or even worse for her lack of supports, but she's actually one of the only (the only?) character who is enhanced due to story junk rather than neutered by it. Good for her.

- Forrest: I was mostly worried with how his "gimmick" was going to be played out, and I've never been so pleasantly surprised.

- Shura: I was expecting to be underwhelmed because I didn't think much of his design, but I rather liked his recruitment chapter in Conquest and found his backstory engaging. He's more complex than I would have originally given him credit for.

You explained this better than I could, but it is exactly why I found myself liking Shura so much.

When they were first revealed I didn't really like Orochi (I thought she looked weird) or Kagero (BOOBS ninja), although they are now two of my absolute favourite characters. Orochi's design grew on me and Kagero isn't as boring as I originally thought she'd be.

I agree with this too, although I really like his design. In a sea of special snowflakes, he sticks out by not having all the colors of the rainbow on his clothes.

I also like that there are more older people in this game so we don't just have a ragtag band of hot teenagers saving the day. While they're not the most complex and are all kamuisexuals, I still appreciate it.

Beruka, Niles, and Felicia were almost instant for me. I get that Felicia's clumsiness is overplayed, but her strengths are also understated, especially that loyalty. Ch. 7, you're surrounded by Faceless, and the king orders you to go alone. She's like, "Um, yeah, no," and joins the fight right away. Very casual about how strong she is in combat, and just wants to be good at her job. Not timid at all and quick to disagree, even with Corrin. I'm still learning about her through supports, but the groundwork for an endearing character is there.

Beruka, because she reminds me of MGS, and I really like MGS

Camilla, didn't like her at first, thought she was going to be Tharja/Aversa 2.0, but she REALLY grew on me unlike those other two

Soleil, When I heard her gimmick, I swore I was going to hate her, but the game establishes well enough for me that she only does it for Laslow's attention, which somehow makes it endearing to me

And finally, the one that will make me lose friends, Conquest Corrin. This guy/gal is a teddy bear, and I love him/her

I felt nothing towards Elise until I played Fates. She's way better than Takumi in my opinion, who I expected to like, but honestly never did. Elise acts like an actual little sister does (which was the point in the jpn version bc fetish pandering, probably) and I find it really endearing.

Pretty much Silas and Camilla

Camilla's personality is somewhat of a hit for me, and i used to dislike her before playing the game

Silas is basically me going from "he's plain" into "Oh god he had Black Armor, this is cool actually" into "Why is his personality so nice holy shit" and then "He's pretty overpowered too!"

Seriously nice guys are the best kind of characters

Edited by JSND

Saizo, Oboro, Camila, Elise, Takumi, Kaze, and Charlotte

Elise is weird - when she was first revealed I didn't like her. She grew on me quickly.

Camilla is weird in that I still don't much care for her pandering to Corrin or armor design, but I ended up liking her more then Hinoka.

Oboro went from absolutely no opinion to best gen 1 girl.

Saizo was at first 2 edge ninja and his brother just seemed... to exist... they grew on me fast.

Takumi also didnt' stand out at first, now he's one of my favorites.

Charlotte... others have said.

I still dislike Camilla as a character, but i've found a new respect for her because of how useful she's being on my Hard conquest run. I managed to kill Ryoma in Chapter 12 because she hit him with a 19% and a 49% hit.

Benny is my boy. I didn't care that much about him at first but he's a pretty cool guy and Benny + Defense/HP Tonic + Effie pair up + Boots = hilarious

Female Corrin - I've never felt more drawn to a character than I have Corrin. Just like everyone else in the game, she instantly draws you in. I've tried a few times playing as the male version and it just has never seemed right. Also female Corrin seems to have the better animations.

The Three Amigos (Odin, Laslow, Selena) - I thought I'd lose what I loved about these three, but nope. They are great and even feel like better versions of than the Awakening version. Selena's not living in the shadows, Odin's still the way he is, and Laslow's got even more confidence now.

Also, the talents of each confirm who their parents are, which was a nice thing to find out.

The Nohr Royals - I didn't think I'd like this group as much when I played, as I didn't originally want to side with Nohr (wanted to play Birthright first). However, they've all grown on me. Leo's a nice rival who's a good brother. Xander really looks out for Corrin, not being overbearing yet also being tough when needed to. Camilla's the smothering older sibling I've never known (I'm the oldest), while Elise is the one who demands to be loved all the time (like my cat Gambit).

Kaze - The man is a person who knows peace and wise to have it all the time. Loyal without a fault and a great father to his daughter, Midori. He also surprisingly gets along great with Peri and sees Peri for what she is (a great woman), not what she's great at (killing). And yes, I realize that Midori's mom is Mozu.

Peri - It was her interactions with Kaze what made me realize how good of a person that Peri is. Yes, Peri is a little broken, but she's a really good person who probably is an outstanding mother. While I've hooked her up with Kaze for her first run, I think I'll go looking for her proper pairing next time.

Charlotte - I didn't think I'd like her because the moment I saw her, it was like "oh Gods, one of these characters", but I hooked her up with Jakob and I suddenly understood everything about her. I still need to figure out how to make her a better character for fighting, but she grew on me the more she interacted with Jakob.

Arthur - I thought his schtick would grow old, but surprisingly I like him. Though after finding out him and Azura are childhood friends(?), I want to try hooking them up and seeing what happens. Also him being a hero because of what happened to Azura suddenly make so much sense.

Thank you person!

I forgot about Peri. I didn't like her in the original version, and I still detest her design, but she's a lot more tolerable in the localization.

I can't pry her and Hinata apart tbh.

I recall telling people I *hated* Takumi before the game released. ...He ended up becoming my first promoted unit in Birthright and is one of my favorite characters now. I also like Sakura a lot more then I thought I was going to. She seemed like she was just 'there' in the promo stuff but she's probably my favorite of the sisters at this point. Charlotte is another character that I ended up liking more than expected (others have went into this already) and I felt nothing toward Oboro either way but now she is probably my favorite female character in the game.

As for who let me down? Niles, you are a mocktail next to Takumi. Sorry. I know life's not fair but that's the truth of it. Camilla, what happened? I saw you and figured you'd be interesting, but you and Hinoka are duking it out for the bottom spot on my list (with regards to the royals). Kaze ... I don't hate you, but I don't love you the way I thought I would, either. Saizo is better. And Kagero, what am I suppose to do with you? I already have two ninjas.

Your welcome person. @ Ebony

I think that Peri would be a lot better if they had a different voice actor or perhaps a different way she speaks. I can't see her being as quite as she is. She shouldn't be like Henry, but she should be louder.

Oh, I also need to give props to Avel. That horse is doing his best to win me over.

Edited by DorianS

Wasn't expecting to like Saizo, and now I can't really go a BR/Rev plathrough without marrying the guy.

Another one would be Charlotte, who is now one of my favourites. Many people would say she's best as a pairup bot but I made sure to pour just enough favouritism into her to get her hitrate and defense up to MVP status.

And I guess I've got a thing for Shura as well which is weird because I'm usually not drawn to most Kamui/Robinsexuals, and it would be even stronger if he gave Kana black hair instead of white.

Better than expected? Hmm.

Beruka - I didn't really know what to expect with her, but I found her backstory combined with her current demeanour touching. Also, this hit my "d'awww" button:

Camilla: That is all I ask, dear. But don't throw yourself away in the process. I don't want to lose you. You're too important to me to watch you die on my behalf.
Beruka: ...Is that an order?
Camilla: Yes. Yes, it is.
Beruka: Understood. My employer's orders are absolute.

Odin and Selena - I liked Owain in Awakening but the problem the non-Lucina kids have is that they kinda exist outside the plot and only support other such characters (and in Owain's case, Lissa, whom I dislike). So getting to see him be part a real cast was a lot of fun. Selena's similar, except I'm pretty apathetic towards Sevara. Neither are favourites in this game and I still think their existence is weird, but I was kinda expecting to hate them and I definitely don't.

Laslow is still boring, though, just like Inigo was.

Elise - Although she's still my least loved Nohrian royal, I was expecting to outright dislike her. I haven't liked any of the previous "little sister" characters... Mist, Lissa, and I think I'm now far enough in Birthright to officially add Sakura to that list. Elise has some fire to her which makes her much more endearing, and her bubbly nature contasts to the dark themes which consume her siblings.

Izana - Is silly fun. It's good to be the archduke.

Most of my other favourites (Arthur, Percy, Niles, the other three Nohrian royals) are people I liked immediately.

Im surprised to not see anyone talking about my favorite fighter, Arthur... sure he feels like a joke character but honestly, he is a preety likeable and a fun person, trying his best to do somethign good for others, heck he started this since he was a child, where he helped Azura to escape and he took the blame of her dissapearence

Honestly its hard to decide a favorite character, I felt that most of the Fates cast was great and likeable, sure the main story might not be so great but damn, the characters were likeable

Another example is Benny, such a calm and nice person that has a preety damn cool voice and a cool looking armor

Also Peri... she is just so damn adorable dammit, even if she is abit problematic,she is still a character I liked.... and she was my first waifu...

Oh and one more because why not ? Charlotte, at first she seems like somekind of generic brute lady or something like that but, some of her supports are kinda interesting, showing that she is more then just some weird fan service

Im surprised to not see anyone talking about my favorite fighter, Arthur... sure he feels like a joke character but honestly, he is a preety likeable and a fun person, trying his best to do somethign good for others, heck he started this since he was a child, where he helped Azura to escape and he took the blame of her dissapearence

I think it's because "found yourself" implies you didn't like them at first. I don't know a single person who didn't like Arthur at first sight.

Speaking of surprises: is it just me, or is Laswlow often portrayed as a well-written Inigo? I never liked him much in Awakening, and I'm still not sure I necessarily want him in thi game, but he's got some good supports here - I feel like I like Odin less than Owain though. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

I'm excluding the DLC from this assessment.

I'm going to go off a bit and say that the father/children supports are MUCH better than Awakening's. Two of my favorite supports are Azama/Mitama and Laslow/Soliel. Not keen on the men themselves, though.

As for actual characters. . .I either hit all of Niles' amazing supports, or he's better than the ass that I thought he was. His interactions with Nina make me smile, too.

Edited by eclipse

I'm going to go off a bit and say that the father/children supports are MUCH better than Awakening's. Two of my favorite supports are Azama/Mitama and Laslow/Soliel. Not keen on the men themselves, though.

Strange, many times I've been thinking the opposites. I know I give this game a hard time, but I consider some supports in Fates to be better than the best ones in Awakening. However, I often feel like the family supports are essentially "by the way, child, as your father/mother, you should X, and I will always be there for you because I'm your father/mother".