Death by Bottomless Canyon? (SPOILERS)

*Haku

People often ask the Avatar and Azura if jumping down into the bottomless canyon will kill you. They say it won't and that it's a portal to Valla.

But remember that cutscene where you follow Azura into the canyon? There are tons of rocks and stuff sticking on the side and I was really surprised you didn't splat right into one on your way down. Unless of course there is like a current that pulls you a specific direction and around the rocks. otherwise how did you not just fall right into a rock and die? LOL

If you don't remember what happens in the cutscene: https://youtu.be/nF7JP8YboUI?t=1524

Edited by *Haku

People often ask the Avatar and Azura if jumping down into the bottomless canyon will kill you. They say it won't and that it's a portal to Valla.

But remember that cutscene where you follow Azura into the canyon? There are tons of rocks and stuff sticking on the side and I was really surprised you didn't splat right into one on your way down. Unless of course there is like a current that pulls you a specific direction and around the rocks. otherwise how did you not just fall right into a rock and die? LOL

If you don't remember what happens in the cutscene: https://youtu.be/nF7JP8YboUI?t=1524

Plot Armor most likely. If the game doesn't designate that you will die in cutscenes or in the game itself, you'll survive with just a few bruises from landing on the ground once the cutscene ends.

To be fair, Gunter survived when he fell into a hole though the bridge which was in a different spot from where the Avatar and Azura dropped...I'm guessing that when you fall, you kinda home towards Valla? (I'm guessing the real reason is bad writing though.)

A "current" sucking you towards Valla makes enough sense, given nobody gets killed except that certain someone and that wasn't even by the canyon itself. I wondered the exact same thing when I saw that cutscene.

LOL. I agree with the OP. Just the implications and, after watching that cutscene several times, it makes it even more hilarious that your siblings would just randomly hurl themselves off a cliff for you.

Talk about sheeple.

I would have told Corrinmui to kiss my butt crack if he thought I was going to do that. Fate of the world be damned.

To be fair - the Nohrian siblings may be entirely aware of Gunter's fall into the canyon, so his presence is proof that the fall isn't fatal. As for the Hoshidan siblings, I'd imagine they trust Azura as much as they trust Corrin, so both of them agreeing that it's fine may well be enough.

LOL. I agree with the OP. Just the implications and, after watching that cutscene several times, it makes it even more hilarious that your siblings would just randomly hurl themselves off a cliff for you.

Talk about sheeple.

I would have told Corrinmui to kiss my butt crack if he thought I was going to do that. Fate of the world be damned.

"Jump off the cliff"

"Why should I do that ? I could die."

"I can't tell you."

"...WTF ?"

" ...just jump off the cliff"

"No"

"Jump off this cliff pls"

"Oh, okay then."

Replace "jump off the cliff" by "believe in me", it's the same. :p

I headcanoned that the jagged walls were part of the illusion to discourage people going down there. You won't actually hit anything on the way down.

That makes sense, make an illusionary outcrops on the canyon walls to scare off anyone who would try to enter Valla. Of course, out of all the characters in the game, only Azura is calm and not even concerned about jumping into the canyon. Even Corrin showed hesitation and doubts about surviving (Jakob and Felicia had more hesitation) the fall. What's odd is that during the initial fall scene is that it shows up a few times where Corrin could have been hit during their descent, the same applies for Azura.

I headcanoned that the jagged walls were part of the illusion to discourage people going down there. You won't actually hit anything on the way down.

oh yeah you have a point :o I never thought of it that way.

Cuz I noticed Corrinmui LOOKED like he hit some of the outcrops

oh yeah you have a point :o I never thought of it that way.

Cuz I noticed Corrinmui LOOKED like he hit some of the outcrops

Makes you wonder how clever the Vallites are to put up a realistic illusion that works on just about anyone who thinks that the outcrops are real.