First full play through, any tips?

Dieck is definitely better than Gonzales (idk why I brought up Rutger since he gets the first hero crest, while Gonzales competes for the second one), agreed, I just think if the player wants to use him for whatever reason, they shouldn't shy away from it due to axe hitrates. Also, the western isles feature pretty many low avoid enemies, so while being an unpromoted axe user is irksome, it's not the end of the world.

Personally, even if I wasn't intent on using Dieck, I'd have a hard time seeing Gonzales in the running unless I also wasn't planning on using Fir or Oujay.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

There's very little merit in promoting Fir. Past the Western Isles, sword users (Rutger included) are pretty underwhelming. Oujay's bases are totally atrocious compared to Gonzales, there isn't much competition there.

Gonzales can clean out the lategame Wyverns better than most units in the game, at the very least. He is really bad in Sacae though.

The biggest issue is the third Hero crest comes stupidly late, Gonzales would be pretty great promoted when he caps strength.

Edited by General Horace

There's very little merit in promoting Fir. Past the Western Isles, sword users (Rutger included) are pretty underwhelming. Oujay's bases are totally atrocious compared to Gonzales, there isn't much competition there.

Gonzales can clean out the lategame Wyverns better than most units in the game, at the very least. He is really bad in Sacae though.

The biggest issue is the third Hero crest comes stupidly late, Gonzales would be pretty great promoted when he caps strength.

Still, Gonzales would need more than being amazing in chapter 21 to justify putting up with him and his trust issues, and as is, that's his sole claim to fame. Anyway, I mentioned Fir because as good as Rutger is, his tendency to face crit chances can get irritating. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I'm new to fire emblem games and have play FE 7 and FE 8 on hard now. Moving on to FE 6 and surprisingly I like it. Hard Mode in FE 6 is quite a bit more challenging but it doesn't feel too unfair as to be a drag. I think I'm already liking FE 6 more than FE 7. FE 7 felt a bit too bland. FE 6 has some nice maps right at the start of the game. Ch 2's use of forts to survive a huge wave of enemies and a boss with a javelin makes for some fun challenge without being overly punishing.

Roy is LOLbad but I've gotten in the habit of feeding my other units EXP instead of my lord so its not a big deal. I just keep him behind the frontlines. Dieck is pretty powerful for a unit gained so early.

Edited by wissenschaft

• 1 month later...

I mean, I'm coming into this a bit late, but I recommend using Clarine (totally biased) and/ or Cecilia. Their high movement and healing are very useful throughout the game. Granted, Cecilia has a shaky start, but Clarine has plenty of time and she usually gets around 20 magic by level 20 Valkyrie, so I usually use her for Forblaze. Her skill, speed, and luck are peerless, so regardless, she is good for mid/late game arena grinding because none of the enemies can hit her or double her (except for the wonky valkyries in there that double her, implying their speed cap is 29 compared to her 25). So if you get some bad luck in terms of her gaining some necessary magic, she's worth bringing along, since she can easily push your gold amount through the roof, since the only thing that can get close to hitting her in the arena are the swordmasters (with 41-47 accuracy).

Ah, the first FE game that I've played, and possibly the hardest one too. Yes I do have a couple of pointers:

• The never-ending question of Lugh vs Lilina. Quite honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference between the two. I used Lilina though, because Roy x Lilina for the shipping win, and you'll get an extra cutscene at the end if you A-support them together. Her speed could be of an issue, but that's really it. Her low Skill growth isn't a dealbreaker at all, considering that Anima magic has high base accuracy in the first place, and her high Luck growth would help make up for that too.
  • I would be actually wary of low Luck in this game. Okay, we don't have any Knolls (Sacred Stones) or Arthurs (Fates), but the Swordmasters and Berserkers have the highest critical hits in both the games and the entire franchise. They get a 30% boost in their critical hits, and the latter also has some ridiculously high Attack power. Attack from a distance for the former, and use your highest dodge units for the latter. Don't bother tanking them at all - the Defense stat isn't much of use on its own. I think there were also enemies with killer Weapons with boosted crit rates...
  • I would not bother with Ax units except for a promoted Alan/Lance/Dieck. Or maybe Perceval.
  • Of course use Marcus sparingly. Actually use any prepromotes as little as possible. Perceval and Karel are the two exceptions.
Edited by henrymidfields