Let us talk "waifus" and "husbandos" (Fates-related)

The topic of having them at all, what your own Waifu/husbando is, discussing who is the best, etc. I'm honestly curious to see what the people have to say on the subject of "Shippings Lord and also a war or something 2016" or as my sister thinks it is, "waifu emblem"

[spoiler So does Xenomata have anything to say on the subject?]

I'll be honest, I don't have one. I have favorite characters (Setsuna, Selkie, Benny, Arthur, etc.) and the characters my avatar have married I have no regrets over (Felicia, Selkie, and Ophelia), but it never felt necessary to have a favorite character on that level.

I feel like there is a line between having a favorite and having a "waifu". When you have a favorite,that means you like them. It doesn't necessarily mean the subject has to like you back, so it's okay to like them without having a proper relationship between the two.

But going into levels of having a waifu... maybe it's not what "having waifus" is about, but to me it feels like imposing a relationship status on someone who never agreed to it, and I feel like if the subject of the "waifu" were to try and get to know me even after getting past the whole "ur mai waifu" thing... they would hate me. Maybe I'm giving life to pixels on a screen that doesn't even reflect the character, if the fact that I'm giving life to pixels on a screen isn't worrisome enough, but that really is how I feel on the subject.

...though in real life I've already declared I would never get into a relationship like that, so it probably carried over or something.

Edited by eclipse

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problems on using the terms jokingly. When I say "Tharja is my waifu" it simply means that I married Robin to her in my first Awakening run. It doesn't mean anything past that.

I just use it as a way of saying that my character married another, apart from that it really doesn't have any other meaning. I guess in terms of Fates, Iago would be Teresa's Husbando - but god damn it villain status cock-blocked my unit.

Yeah, what the others have said. It's a term I use very lightly and for fun.

But since that'd be a boring answer, I'll say that I pretty much either go for Flora (a kamuisexual unit and the best female character in the game that isn't Oboro, but the game ships her with Takumi for me) or Velour, who has the best design in the game.

I haven't ever met people who call a character their ''waifu'' unironically. I married Scarlet, Beruka and Rinkah because I just thought there were cool and good looking.

To be honest, I've grown to personally dislike using the word ''waifu'' even jokingly because there's a certain possessive undertone to it.

Edited by LeDom

just like others have said, waifu/husbando is more of a joke term, either referring to someone you married(or plan to marry) in the game(usually someone you like enough but not exactly limited to them) or favorite characters(but not limited to the point you have to marry them).

I usually marry characters that I like, which I did with Libra in FE13, and I'm planning to marry Flora on FE14 Rev(could've been Shigure but I'm playing as male and I've already gone too far to reset everything and marrying him is incest) but then again people ship Corrin/Azura so

from those, you could say I'm referring Libra to the former meaning of husbando, while Shigure is the latter one.

Edited by singularity

Beruka and Scarlet are mai waifu, anyone disagree with these terms and my pretend relationship with pretend people can take their lesser of value opinion somewhere else.

it's a fun thing, nothing more, nothing less...

Most of the time the term is used in a joking sense, which is fine. However, I disagree when people call Genealogy a waifu game or say that FE has always been about waifus.

Edited by DeoGame

I think most people consider it as a joke, and that goes for a lot of other areas or sites outside of serenes forest. I don't think I have seen the term waifu/husbando used as something serious outside of a few extreme circumstances like that guy on youtube singing happy birthday to his "waifu". But that is either a troll or someone with some serious mental/emotional issues.

If this is a post about the characters I have married in my profile then it would be Nyx, Azura, and Selena so far. No particular reason why I went with them outside of I just liked either their design or personality.

Edited by Tolvir

If this is a post about the characters I have married in my profile then it would be Nyx, Azura, and Selena so far. No particular reason why I went with them outside of I just liked either their design or personality.

Nyx

design

Why+don+t+you+have+a+seat+over+there+_41

Why don't you have a seat over there?

[spoiler= So does Xenomata have anything to say on the subject?]

But going into levels of having a waifu... maybe it's not what "having waifus" is about, but to me it feels like imposing a relationship status on someone who never agreed to it, and I feel like if the subject of the "waifu" were to try and get to know me even after getting past the whole "ur mai waifu" thing... they would hate me. Maybe I'm giving life to pixels on a screen that doesn't even reflect the character, if the fact that I'm giving life to pixels on a screen isn't worrisome enough, but that really is how I feel on the subject.

Well, the way Fates has been written, Corrin's not coercing/blackmailing anyone into a relationship, so no worries there. :)

Add me to the list of 'I don't like/use the terms, but if I were to use them, it'd be entirely ironically'.

On the matter of pairings for Corrin, that's Leo for me on the Conquest/Revs routes. (I actually married Corrin/Niles first time through on Conquest, though).

I think of the term as a joke and laugh, but I know some people take it a little too far. As to who I married my Avatar to in Fates I always end up marrying Kaze because he is the only character I like the supports and who is not a sibling. As to Awakening I marry Priam just because I ended up liking him the best, but I like the supports with most of the guys.

Yeah, among FE fans who like the most recent games, it's used jokingly. For those who dislike the most recent games, it's supposed to be demeaning, I believe. I think it's alright; the romance in this game is definitely better than lots of games that are oriented towards that sort of stuff. Then again, I tend to be irked by heavy-handed/extremely flowery romance, so the more modest it is, the better. Of course, I've barely scratched the surface as far as marriage options go, so how do I know there isn't some overly cheesy love scene?

As far as a "waifu" or "husbandu" for me? If I were to officially pair Corn-bread with anyone, it'd have to be the corn-sexuals, because I don't like robbin' others of a chance at love. That pretty much limits me to the women only, 'cuz all the men except maybe Izana are way too old. That being said, I've also paired Corn-on-the-cob with Oboro and Female Donnel Mozu, the former because I like her and the latter because of the aptitude skill. Also tried Rhajat and didn't like it. But in all honesty, I just don't care. I just like seeing the supports and learning how all these characters interact with one another.

I think it's alright; the romance in this game is definitely better than lots of games that are oriented towards that sort of stuff.

As bad as some supports and pairings can get, to me it'll never top Persona 3's mandatory harem in case you want to obtain more than one ultimate persona and other bonuses.

Yes, mandatory; you automatically enter a relationship with all the women who happen to be in your age range (you'll have to make do with your teacher getting a crush on you) by choosing a few dialogue options and saying nothing during the confession scenes.

As bad as some supports and pairings can get, to me it'll never top Persona 3's mandatory harem in case you want to obtain more than one ultimate persona and other bonuses.

Yes, mandatory; you automatically enter a relationship with all the women who happen to be in your age range (you'll have to make do with your teacher getting a crush on you) by choosing a few dialogue options and saying nothing during the confession scenes.

Oh, Persona 3... I didn't even like half the girls but they still made me date them. Interestingly, Persona 3 Portable did the opposite with the girl MC; she technically only got to date one dude (two, if you don't mind being a shota lover).

As for me, I have several husbandos and waifus but I say it more in the line of, "I like this character/I married this character in game."

In Fates, my husbando is Shura and my waifu is Setsuna.

In Awakening, my husbando is Yen'fay and my waifu is Emmeryn.

In PoR, my husbando iss Stefan and my waifu was Ilyana.

n BS, my husbando is Hector and my waifu is Florina.

I don't think I've ever encountered a person that meant it literally or were obsessed over a particualr character.

I'm fine with shippers using those words. As long as you're not obnoxious with your, er... "shipping" and try to bend reality so your stuff can be canon, we cool.

What I'm not cool with are the people who get obsessed with their waifu/husbando and will go out of their way to attack anyone who critizice or just talk about said character. it's not only cringy as fuck, but also creepy. And so, my general perception of those words is that they always carry a negative connotation.

Edited by Ken Masters

Oh, Persona 3... I didn't even like half the girls but they still made me date them. Interestingly, Persona 3 Portable did the opposite with the girl MC; she technically only got to date one dude (two, if you don't mind being a shota lover).

I know right? It's too bad that it's essentially the objectively better route since she can actually support the guys in the group, meaning that Akihiko's character development doesn't stop at "speaking in clichés and likes to train".

In Persona 4 you at least got the choice, but you were never punished for having more than one, barring a bonus scene that was supposed to be sad but amounted to nothing. Ugh, every time I think about Rise's confession scene I cringe a bit; how can even the most desperate of otaku get into the main character just standing there saying nothing like a useless piece of cardboard when she confesses?

Yet it has to work since the waifu wars in that fandom is worse than in Fire Emblem; hell isn't there a "Church of Chie" or something?

I'm fine with shippers using those words. As long as you're not obnoxious with your, er... "shipping" and try to bend reality so your stuff can be canon, we cool.

What I'm not cool with are the people who get obsessed with their waifu/husbando and will go out of their way to attack anyone who critizice or just talk about said character. it's not only cringy as fuck, but also creepy. And so, my general perception of those words is that they always carry a negative connotation.

I think most of the time, the people that do that are trolling or joking with each other. Very rarely do I even see the word Waifu/Husbando used in any serious way outside of your serious nutcases and hikikomori (mostly japanese males that are shut ins and never interact with the outside unless it is absolutely necessary). Though there are some extreme obvious cases like this one Sonic fansite dedicated to having relationships with sonic characters as if they were real, including marriage certificates and all. I am still trying debating if said site was a troll or not, but considering how depraved and down right disturbing people can get on the internet, I wouldnt be surprised if it was real. Crazy what anonymity can allow people to do.

I do agree with the whole shipping thing though. Dont have a problem with it until it starts bending already established rules to get what they want, like the RWBY fandom loves doing.

Why don't you have a seat over there?

Don't you like Velouria? Corrin was likely there to see her born, and then she was in the deep realm for what, 2 years tops? So technically speaking, she is barely even 2 years of age at most.

How the tables have turned.

Edited by Tolvir

I know right? It's too bad that it's essentially the objectively better route since she can actually support the guys in the group, meaning that Akihiko's character development doesn't stop at "speaking in clichés and likes to train".

In Persona 4 you at least got the choice, but you were never punished for having more than one, barring a bonus scene that was supposed to be sad but amounted to nothing. Ugh, every time I think about Rise's confession scene I cringe a bit; how can even the most desperate of otaku get into the main character just standing there saying nothing like a useless piece of cardboard when she confesses?

Yet it has to work since the waifu wars in that fandom is worse than in Fire Emblem; hell isn't there a "Church of Chie" or something?

Oh my goodness. Yes! The shipping wars the P4 is absolute doodoo!

Church of Chie? I have you witnessed the Order of Naoto? I understand the popularity of her character but her support made me squint a bit with the "flags" you have to answer correctly in order to romance her; it seemed like they disregarded an aspect of her personality just to make her dateable, if that makes sense. I could be reading into wrong, though.

I feel like the only person that actively only dated Ayane and snubbed the other girls. LOL. And, in P3P, I went single as a means to strike against the game because they wouldn't let me be with Junpei or Theodore.

On topic, I also agree that I don't like it when hardcore shippers twist the story or characters just to appease their mental image of a relationship. It gets a little annoying. Also hate it when hardcore shippers bash your ships for no reason other than it not being the same as theirs.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

My real life wife would commit me to the loony bin if I ever had a waifu or husbando in FE. She already thinks I'm obsessed with Awakening/Fates (she can't tell the difference).

My favorite characters to get hitched to in game (to Corrin or otherwise) though are:

Girls: Azura, Setsuna, Kagero, Selena

Guys: Laslow, Odin, Lobster, Niles, Saizo, Kaze

I've really enjoyed most of these characters support convos even if the Awakening 3 are one-note characters in some ways.

Edited by kcirrot