Does incest have a place in Fire Emblem?

No it doesn't , Shanan is like twice Lakche's age and practically raised her.

He's like 10-13 years older than her, and a 28 or so year old marrying his 16 year old cousin isn't unheard of, especially in those times. I think the issue is we're applying modern/western ethics to non-modern (and in some cases) times and that's why we see cousin incest as something on par with sibling incest.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's like 10-13 years older than her, and a 28 or so year old marrying his 16 year old cousin isn't unheard of, especially in those times. I think the issue is we're applying modern/western ethics to non-modern (and in some cases) times and that's why we see cousin incest as something on par with sibling incest.

It's frowned upon in modern society, but cousin marriage was very common historically. Many settlements only had a few hundred people, so the odds that you were at least somewhat related were very high.

I wouldn't say "modern" society. I have a ton of family members in Pakistan who married cousins, and while it's not something that westernized south asians/middle eastern people do people do it quite a bit out east... Clearly not frowned upon there, though.

Edited by Lord Raven

There is literally no incestuous implications between Eirika and Ephraim. The only way you could possibly interpret any of their interactions (mainly their C support, since that's where most Eirphraim shipping comes from) as romantic is if your mind is stuck deep in the gutter.

There are implications in their supports, but the main hint at their incestuous relationship comes from their Sacred Twins: Siegmund and Sieglinde are characters in the play Die Walküre, where they are twins in an incestuous relationship. So while Eirika and Ephraim are not in a similar relationship, the game does make hints at it.

Incest should be in the next Fire Emblem game as a part of the plot. Maybe low key throw it in as a cultural aspect of a kingdom or something. I don't see why people are disgusted with mere mentions of incest but are completely okay watching innocent people getting slaughtered.

Oh, you little modern hipster non-conformist you

There are implications in their supports, but the main hint at their incestuous relationship comes from their Sacred Twins: Siegmund and Sieglinde are characters in the play Die Walküre, where they are twins in an incestuous relationship. So while Eirika and Ephraim are not in a similar relationship, the game does make hints at it.

I hardly see that as significant, especially since most mythological/classic literature references in FE are just there for the sake of being references and lack a greater meaning to them. Eirika and Ephraim are never implied to be anything but close siblings.

Fwiw, I don't really have a problem with cousin incest, but sibling incest is fucking disgusting and should stay the hell out of FE.