Full-Time Job and Gaming falling by the wayside

Sentacotus

No this is not a goodbye thread. That being said I've been working a full time job for the past 4 months in IT. I love where I'm at, work with great people, and I'm learning new things everyday my work schedule is pretty standard and I have no qualms about it. Although I seem to notice that I don't necessarily have time for well gaming. I recently started going back to the gym after work since I quickly realized sitting 8 hours a day in an office isn't exactly conducive for your health (something I vastly underestimated from where I was previously at was how active it kept me). Additionally, I have to put more time towards professional development in studying for certs and so on. I was wondering if any of you all out there working the 40 hour work week have found this? Do you too have a growing backlog of untouched games you just don't have time to play? Is it worth it to you to keep playing them how do you find the time?

Edited by LordTaco42

I always found it hard to play single player stuff (Fire Emblem, for example) with not much free time- I mostly kick it to weekends or something, if it all.

I hardly touched anything since finals. Between studying and transitioning from a 20 hour in-semester work schedule to a full time 40 hour week and maintaining my more productive hobbies (ex. art, programming harder) I don't find myself having much time for entertainment that isn't something i can concurrently do with productive things.

I just play on days off/weekends and when I have free time. The thing about video games is they are for fun and I don't mind waiting to play if real life gets in the way, it gives me something to look forward too. Of course I don't have a "real job" right now but there is a lot of stuff that gets in the way and I know once I get a job I will only be playing when I have free time.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Well for me right now college (i'm a full-time student, though I'm looking for a job) is not in session but when it is.... I find myself loving really short games, and equally disliking games that want to waste my time. I recommend investing into shorter indie games, I also find myself playing on handhelds more often as I just don't often have time at home to do stuff. But if I really want to play something I can always make time for it by cutting out other fat (this usually only means 3 or less Days a week later in 2-3 hour intervals but going slowly thoughs games or just something you will get used to thankfully many modern games are sensitive to the fact that some people don't have time to play them at regular intervals). Because of the fact that I don't often have time to really dedicate to a game I also find myself just playing bits and pieces of old games, as I know those games usually by heart I and don't really need to invest in them.

Edited by Locke087

I play on handhelds, because no one really cares if I whip out my 3DS on the bus.

Weekends are for longer jams, if I'm not doing something else.

I don't work currently, but there was a time period when I was working full-time (or more), and although the time I had available to spend gaming was overall less than I have now, I still played a decent amount of games. Like eclipse, I mostly played handheld games, both GBA and DS (as this was before the 3DS era), as it's easy to fit in some time during a lunch break or so and then continue at home or whenever when I had the time. A lot of it also just depends on priorities, too. I've always enjoyed playing games, so I did make it something of a priority, and as an introvert, I had more fun staying home and playing games or reading rather than going out.

I work about 35-38 hours and I still game a lot, but I don't really exercise much. I also sometimes game during breaks if I'm not getting something to eat (we usually only have 1 person on break at a time so I don't really socialize with coworkers during my lunch). But even if I did exercise say 1 hour a day, I'd still get some gaming in.

My commute is pretty short (15-25 mins).

Lord taco, I can relate, though the main reason I don't have time to game anymore is because I recently started a family. Also, I see each year about a hundred new games just flying out of the woodwork, and when I was younger and had all the time in the world video games just didn't come out sat the same rate.

Exercise, a full time job, being a parent, whatever it is, it definitely cuts down on your ability to, say, finish all the side content in Final Fantasy 7 over a week. Being a productive member of society and playing video games at the same time is hard.

On the other hand, you might find like many others do that your gaming waxes and wanes like the phases in a lunar cycle. For example, I started staying up a little later than I should playing the Witcher games recently. It has led to a few rough mornings, but I can't help but be jazzed to boot up steam as soon as my wife and kid go to bed each night. In about a month, though, my soft, aging body will come to collect on its sleep debt, and it'll be back to early bedtimes for me.

Lord taco, I can relate, though the main reason I don't have time to game anymore is because I recently started a family. Also, I see each year about a hundred new games just flying out of the woodwork, and when I was younger and had all the time in the world video games just didn't come out sat the same rate.

Exercise, a full time job, being a parent, whatever it is, it definitely cuts down on your ability to, say, finish all the side content in Final Fantasy 7 over a week. Being a productive member of society and playing video games at the same time is hard.

On the other hand, you might find like many others do that your gaming waxes and wanes like the phases in a lunar cycle. For example, I started staying up a little later than I should playing the Witcher games recently. It has led to a few rough mornings, but I can't help but be jazzed to boot up steam as soon as my wife and kid go to bed each night. In about a month, though, my soft, aging body will come to collect on its sleep debt, and it'll be back to early bedtimes for me.

Yeah I know what you mean I had a brief episode of playing World of Tanks too much as a history buff it was just my thing especially since that was what my history thesis was about lol. But yeah thats part of it too games really do seem to come out fast these days.

You will soon realize gaming is not the only thing falling by the wayside when you start working on full-time schedule.

I assume you're talking from personal experience? Please don't say its the hair that goes away

Edited by LordTaco42