Dinar87's first battle sprite gallery!!

Dinar87

Uploading another of my old animations...I'm kinda running out lol.
[spoiler=Hitman battle sprites]
OIvr3gR.gif
Normal attack
InjsAnG.gif
Critical
r9BbqSG.gif
Magic sword
95oNiUL.gif
Dodge weapon
tgyaPyc.gif
Dodge no weapon

While I thank you guys for the advice and suggestions, I'm not going to actually be making any new animations for a while now. I just hate doing all this work only for it to be criticized. Therefore, I'm going to be sticking to making normal sprites until I get the basics down fully. However, I will upload the rest of my old animations.

Edited by Dinar87

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uploading another of my old animations...I'm kinda running out lol.

[spoiler=Hitman battle sprites]

OIvr3gR.gif

Normal attack

InjsAnG.gif

Critical

r9BbqSG.gif

Magic sword

95oNiUL.gif

Dodge weapon

tgyaPyc.gif

Dodge no weapon

While I thank you guys for the advice and suggestions, I'm not going to actually be making any new animations for a while now. I just hate doing all this work only for it to be criticized. Therefore, I'm going to be sticking to making normal sprites until I get the basics down fully. However, I will upload the rest of my old animations.

No hate man, I mean some of this stuff is nice, but some of it looks really odd. Also, you don't enjoy doing art because it gets criticized? I think that criticism actually helps a lot when it comes to improvement, posting things of poor quality, and having those issues pointed out by more experienced individuals is what allows you to improve. I honestly think you should do more, even if it sucks, and take that criticism, and use it to become better.

YpjGy3v.gif

Tbh I find it cute.

Down With The Sickness started playing on my TV as soon as I scrolled and saw this, it was perfect. Maybe his unarmed hand shouldn't move so much. Animation's really smooth though, always appreciate that about these animations.

No hate man, I mean some of this stuff is nice, but some of it looks really odd. Also, you don't enjoy doing art because it gets criticized? I think that criticism actually helps a lot when it comes to improvement, posting things of poor quality, and having those issues pointed out by more experienced individuals is what allows you to improve. I honestly think you should do more, even if it sucks, and take that criticism, and use it to become better.

Thanks for the advice. I also hope to get an art tutor to speed up my progress significantly.

What do you think I should work on next? Editing an official sprite like with the rogue class, refining my older sprites or a fully custom class again?

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, July 17, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, July 17, 2016 - No reason given

Update! Uploading the second to last batch of old animations I've worked on!
[spoiler=Robber map sprites]
tQNXozR.gif
Passive
J7ESoWw.gif
Active
c4kirFs.gif
Walking down
ir9iNc9.gif
Walking left
cJ6VEjC.gif
Walking up

You know, I'm actually kinda sad you don't want to keep up with those animations of yours. Personally, I love this cartoonish style. The only problem is that, in order to be included in a game, you need a full rooster of animations, one for each class, since they would clash horribly with the standard animations.

I'd say if you can make a horse animation in your style, you should keep going.

Don't worry about the animations, I'll continue to make them in the future so you WILL see more of them. However, I've decided that, since I've been having issues with proportions and shading in my animations, I thought I'd get better at making individual sprites so that my animations in the future will be 100% better! Speaking of which, here's one of my latest sprites-the fencer....REBORN!
jHxPyAI.png

Essentially, I want to be able to copy the style used in the GBA FE games...all for a potential game I might work on.

Edited by Dinar87

Try to do more customs if you want, I think those really get people's creativity flowing the best.

So you're saying I'll get better naturally if I keep doing customs?

Tbh while I can appreciate that you guys want me to do customs again I still REALLY want to master making FE-styled battle sprites. While I'm grateful for all the advice I've received thus far, I still need a TON more before I'm anyway even close to being 'good' at making sprites. If you'd all be so kind, could you continue helping me?

How about this? I create a custom animation and you can give me advice on how to make my sprites more in line with the official FE battle sprites.

I dunno, still looks kinda cartoony to me. It's definitely more similar to standard FE than the others tho.

How could it be improved? Anyways, it's good that I'm at least making progress then!

I made some edits of the sprite, not professional level edits, but hey:

temp_zps4yyjwbjm.png

Marked some points of interest:

Red- The head looks small, and the white pixels don't work as a 3rd shade for a grey-ish coloured hair

- You don't always need 3 shades for the hair, 2 pixels can work fine most of the time

Yellow- The far hand just looked a bit big to me, the close hand is ok I guess

Green- Nothing notable in particular, the scarf bit just bothered me a tad

Purple- The torso looked a bit big to me, maybe it's just me

Blue- The feet are....odd, the far foot is literally a block of solid colour, the close foot is slightly misshapen and shaded....not-so FE, if that makes sense

Those are just notable things, here's more detailed stuff and things:

-As the great PandaWan said:

as long as you remember to look up references of how the style goes.

You should really reference the vanilla FE sprites for: -How the limbs/arms/feet look

-How the heads look etc.

Your sprites all have very...."Lego"-like feet

-Try using colours that you can use in more than one use....if that makes sense....it can help preserve colour slots for other colours you can use for other details, like how the vanilla sprites use the skin colours for the golden trims

-You could conserve colours for the shirt/shoe colours by sharing a few colours here and there, I'm not very good at it myself but you'd figure it out yourself....eventually....maybe

-Look up any vanilla sprites that looks similar to the sprite you're making, like the Sage sprite if you're making a magic using sprite, or the Fighter sprite if you're making a buff Axe using class etc.

I made some edits of the sprite, not professional level edits, but hey:

temp_zps4yyjwbjm.png

Marked some points of interest:

Red- The head looks small, and the white pixels don't work as a 3rd shade for a grey-ish coloured hair

- You don't always need 3 shades for the hair, 2 pixels can work fine most of the time

Yellow- The far hand just looked a bit big to me, the close hand is ok I guess

Green- Nothing notable in particular, the scarf bit just bothered me a tad

Purple- The torso looked a bit big to me, maybe it's just me

Blue- The feet are....odd, the far foot is literally a block of solid colour, the close foot is slightly misshapen and shaded....not-so FE, if that makes sense

Those are just notable things, here's more detailed stuff and things:

-As the great PandaWan said:

You should really reference the vanilla FE sprites for: -How the limbs/arms/feet look

-How the heads look etc.

Your sprites all have very...."Lego"-like feet

-Try using colours that you can use in more than one use....if that makes sense....it can help preserve colour slots for other colours you can use for other details, like how the vanilla sprites use the skin colours for the golden trims

-You could conserve colours for the shirt/shoe colours by sharing a few colours here and there, I'm not very good at it myself but you'd figure it out yourself....eventually....maybe

-Look up any vanilla sprites that looks similar to the sprite you're making, like the Sage sprite if you're making a magic using sprite, or the Fighter sprite if you're making a buff Axe using class etc.

It seems like the main issues were the head and feat then (with some more minor issues elsewhere) and, as such, I will attempt to fix these issues by essentially stealing being inspired by the official sprites. I'll be using the sage sprite for reference. Wish me luck!

EDIT1: I've remade the custom sprite using the sage's shoes as reference for the sprite's feet. I've also changed the coloring for the head so there's no white pixels anymore! I'd really like to know how you do the shoes of the characters...

VdfWyIP.png

Edited by Dinar87

I've just realised that the eye isn't positioned correctly. move it over to the right by 1 px and it should look much better

IMO one of the most important edits Blaze made was to the leg positioning, where both legs are angled but only slightly. Currently since his left leg is straight and the other one isn't it gives the impression he's leaning way to the left (the scarf emphasizes that even more), but nothing about the sprite looks like it could make for a particularly good counterbalance that would make that a reasonable fighting stance.

I will say though comparing to your older stuff it's much better, and you do seem to have animation smoothness down pat, so yeah keep at it and stuff