Would you play a spiritual successor to the Tellius series?

Dinar87

In other words, Begnion took realistic themes such as slavery and corruption and because of that it felt far more immersive and realistic is that correct? It also seems to resemble real life history as well and that seems to resonate with you.

Also, while there's no need to apologise, I hadn't got to the part in radiant dawn where apparently Sephiran is revealed to be a villain yet (still on part 3 chapter 8).

​I also like the plot of path of radiance as your goals are clear from the start-defeat Ashnard and reclaim your homeland. It's not like awakening where your main goals change almost constantly...

Well, shit. Sorry. In any case, yeah, Bagnion felt the most real in that there were different factions with different intentions. It also has my favorite Tellius character, period in the form of Sanaki. As a Monarchist I also like that the Empress is the good guy and the Senate are bad; its pretty rare in modern fiction.

Slightly off topic but I loved it when in PoR Sanaki said "prepare yourselves peasants!"

Anyways, in would seem that in order to craft a fictional country as interesting as Begnion, you'd have to accurately replicate a real country's struggles and politics. This means not only multiple factions but also a mix of 'good' and 'bad' characters in each. I have some idea of what I want to make now...

​Introducing country 'x', formerly a dictatorship that suffered an uprising that replaced their arrogant, bigoted leader with another terrible one. This happened because the country's main army decided to help the people....only to backstab them and claim the country for their own. While there's people in the army trying to change things for the better, most engage in activities of rape and murder to pleasure themselves. Due to the unfortunate outcome of the revolution, most of the population has given up trying to change things for the better and are now focusing on simply surviving...and most end up victims to the army's brutal leadership strategies including killing and torturing anyone who opposes them. Others end up as prey for the various hunting rounds the army partakes in. However, there's still are group of rebels who are determined to fight for the country's future...while some just want to steal the power the army took for themselves.

​How do you think I did? Does that sound interesting to you? Admittedly I'm terrible at history but I am aware of the Arab uprisings that happened a while back...is it at least somewhat accurate?

Edited by Dinar87

Well, shit. Sorry. In any case, yeah, Bagnion felt the most real in that there were different factions with different intentions. It also has my favorite Tellius character, period in the form of Sanaki. As a Monarchist I also like that the Empress is the good guy and the Senate are bad; its pretty rare in modern fiction.

Is it rare for Fire Emblem though? Most protagonists are benevolent royalty so Fire Emblem as a whole is pretty monarchist. I don't know the specifics of Begnion's senate but considering it's members all have the title of "Duke", it's likely that they're lords themselves. Elibe had plenty of local lords who were corrupt and undermining the central authority, so I wouldn't call it new.

Is it rare for Fire Emblem though? Most protagonists are benevolent royalty so Fire Emblem as a whole is pretty monarchist. I don't know the specifics of Begnion's senate but considering it's members all have the title of "Duke", it's likely that they're lords themselves. Elibe had plenty of local lords who were corrupt and undermining the central authority, so I wouldn't call it new.

I wouldn't say those are the same as the Begnion senators though. The senators acted as politicians rather than just simple lords and they also engaged in far worse activities (like slavery and attempted genocide).

Okay, fair enough I guess its just that there's the popular perception of Roman history of the "democratic" Senate being good and the Empire being bad when in reality there were good Senators and bad Senators and good Emperors and bad Emperors. More often than not, though, the Emperors took the side of the common people and the Senate were more elitist. Its good to see a fictional equivalent of the Roman Empire (I could write a whole essay on this, trust me) get this aspect right. You are correct, though, that its hardly unique for FE.

Slightly off topic but I loved it when in PoR Sanaki said "prepare yourselves peasants!"

Anyways, in would seem that in order to craft a fictional country as interesting as Begnion, you'd have to accurately replicate a real country's struggles and politics. This means not only multiple factions but also a mix of 'good' and 'bad' characters in each. I have some idea of what I want to make now...

​Introducing country 'x', formerly a dictatorship that suffered an uprising that replaced their arrogant, bigoted leader with another terrible one. This happened because the country's main army decided to help the people....only to backstab them and claim the country for their own. While there's people in the army trying to change things for the better, most engage in activities of rape and murder to pleasure themselves. Due to the unfortunate outcome of the revolution, most of the population has given up trying to change things for the better and are now focusing on simply surviving...and most end up victims to the army's brutal leadership strategies including killing and torturing anyone who opposes them. Others end up as prey for the various hunting rounds the army partakes in. However, there's still are group of rebels who are determined to fight for the country's future...while some just want to steal the power the army took for themselves.

​How do you think I did? Does that sound interesting to you? Admittedly I'm terrible at history but I am aware of the Arab uprisings that happened a while back...is it at least somewhat accurate?

So something like Cromwell in England, then? I had an idea myself for a French Revolution type war where the protagonist's allies commit atrocities too. Good references for conflicts like this would be the Vendee Rebellion, the Rhodesian Bush War, and absolutely the Arab Spring. It would be a good coming of age story as the protagonist realizes that both sides are horrible.

Here's a new idea for the story...picture an Elician figure desperately trying to keep the peace and serve the poor against some of the senators who wish only to make themselves powerful and wealthy (unknown to the queen of course)...often at the expense of the rest of the population. The queen takes the blame for the problems as she doesn't yet know that the senators' themselves are to blame. The senators' meddling's angers the public and you and a few good senators have to quell it to stop the revolution from destroying the empire. You eventually fail as, like early Elincia, the queen can't bring herself to harm her own citizens. Then it devolves into something like FE4 with a liberation army fighting against the empire. You'll travel to a few different countries fleeing and trying to get support before you can eventually take back what is rightfully yours. It ends with the queen executing the senators and anyone who wishes to start a rebellion...all in the name of keeping the peace and stopping more atrocities from happening. In other words, it would be an expanded part 2 of radiant dawn.

​I'll also look into those events you mentioned...might be good source material.

By the way...does anyone know the exact style of music used in Radiant Dawn because, if I'm going to pass on anything about those games to mine...it'd probably be the excellent soundtrack!

...ok is it a specific type of orchestra though? I know dubstep alone as tons of sub genres like, uh, bruhstep or shitstep. Does orchestra have anything like that or is it just one type. I'm only asking because google failed me.

Do you guys think that a combination of GBA graphics and battle animations, combined with the storytelling and orchestral qualities of the Telius series, would make a good game? Would you guys play it or would it fail miserably?

Edited by Dinar87

3D seems to be the future of Fire Emblem so I don't see why they would go back to sprites now. That said, I'd definitely play the game.

I asking because I hope to eventually make my own FE game one day and I need all the advice I can get. That being said, it's still a VERY long way away before I can even attempt such a thing so yeah. So far people have been friendly enough about things and it seems that the general consensus is that most people who commented would try out such a game (depending on the quality of the product of course). Despite all this, I'd really appreciate as much ideas and tips as possible though obviously you can just completely ignore this whole thing if you want to.

​On the subject of whether IS would return to sprites I actually think that's be a good idea as I vastly prefer the battle animations of the GBA games to the other FE games. Also, if the 3d feature stays, I just think it'd look nicer with sprites.

​Sorry if I unintentionally misled anyone by not making it clear that this whole topic was related to a game I might make.

If anyone even cares why I'm even making an FE game when the series is still going strong well it's because it's likely we'll never get another Tellius game again and that depresses the fuck out of me. My only options are...

​1. Somehow influence or get Nintendo to make one (virtually impossible)

​2. Somehow try and make my own Tellius inspired game (very difficult to achieve)

​Faced with the possibility of never getting another FE game like the Tellius series, and considering I love those games more than any other videogames I've ever played, I don't really have much of a choice other than to make it myself.

I really hope I didn't offend anyone...

Edited by Dinar87

Did I do something wrong because it seems no one cares to post anything here anymore. Granted it could just be that no one cares anyone (which is fine) but I'm just wondering if I've annoyed anyone with what I've said...

Just going to throw a few cents into the ring.

The Tellius games have very strong worldbuilding. We really get a feel for Crimea, Daein, Begnion, even Goldoa - in terms of how they're run, what they look like, and what the people are like. It's this exposure that makes the case of Hatari so frustrating to me - namely, that we never get to see it! Moreover, we get to see conflict from different angles, that even the bad guys aren't always that bad (Shiharam), and in RD we even get to be the bad guys for a few chapters. So a spiritual successor of Tellius should really provide a window into who the various involved parties are, and what defines life in the different countries.

Yes! The Tellius games were my favourite games, mechanically wise and story wise, and they feel like the Fire Emblem games that had the most effort put into them. I would definitely play another Tellius-style game.

Just going to throw a few cents into the ring.

The Tellius games have very strong worldbuilding. We really get a feel for Crimea, Daein, Begnion, even Goldoa - in terms of how they're run, what they look like, and what the people are like. It's this exposure that makes the case of Hatari so frustrating to me - namely, that we never get to see it! Moreover, we get to see conflict from different angles, that even the bad guys aren't always that bad (Shiharam), and in RD we even get to be the bad guys for a few chapters. So a spiritual successor of Tellius should really provide a window into who the various involved parties are, and what defines life in the different countries.

I assume when you mean world building you mean stuff like chapter 11 of PoR where we see a port town of Crimea that directly shows the racism embedded in the country with how they attack Ranulf. They also posses a unique mind-set that "as long as those filthy sub humans don't come near us who cares who rules us?". Of course, they learn the errors of their ways when Daein rule is more oppressive that they realised. Another example of world building would be Begnion as a whole where it resembles a real country's issues and struggles...or is that wrong?

​So in other words...

1. Actively show the good/bad qualities of a country in chapters. If some of the population are selfish bigots then actually show this happening.

​2. For each faction, have some sympathetic and truly evil characters in them. Begnion had (what looked like) a good senator (Sephiran) and bad senators (Oliver, Lekain, etc...).

3. Describe in detail how the wars affect the civilians and different members of the population.

Edited by Dinar87

I love Tellius for their world building but there are a number of game mechanics I wouldn't want to see back.

1. Biorhythm: Stats shouldn't fluctuate as turns pass. Granted, it doesn't affect too much but it's still a negative feature.

2. 3rd tiers: I know some really like these but I don't think they add much value. There just isn't much to give 3rd tiers besides skills to make them ridiculous. Radiant Dawn, with the exception of the Dawn Brigade, effectively had 2 tiers anyway.

3. Laguz transformation: Admittedly, Radiant Dawn did some things to improve on the system (no automatic transform) but having characters occasionally be reduced to an extremely vulnerable form isn't very fun.

Things I do like: Full canto, shove, ledges, custom character outfits.

I love Tellius for their world building but there are a number of game mechanics I wouldn't want to see back.

1. Biorhythm: Stats shouldn't fluctuate as turns pass. Granted, it doesn't affect too much but it's still a negative feature.

2. 3rd tiers: I know some really like these but I don't think they add much value. There just isn't much to give 3rd tiers besides skills to make them ridiculous. Radiant Dawn, with the exception of the Dawn Brigade, effectively had 2 tiers anyway.

3. Laguz transformation: Admittedly, Radiant Dawn did some things to improve on the system (no automatic transform) but having characters occasionally be reduced to an extremely vulnerable form isn't very fun.

Things I do like: Full canto, shove, ledges, custom character outfits.

The only thing I disagree with you on is 3rd tiers as I thought they were extremely fun to use. It could've been better though as it'd be nice if most of the enemies could access it as well so it didn't feel so broken.