This needs to STOP

Anacybele

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure that wall is still a joke?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-would-seek-to-block-money-transfers-to-force-mexico-to-fund-border-wall/2016/04/05/c0196314-fa7c-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html

Because this article talking about how Trump is going to make Mexico pay for it sounds EXTREMELY legit to me.

Well gee if you ask me, I feel like he should pay it considering he can so easily get a SMALL loan of a million dollars. This guy is so far up in his own rich privileged life it's unreal.

Then don't say make claims like that if you're not willing to source them. It's insanity that you expect me to believe your memory when you're not willing to put forth the work to actually find a claim that's extremely dubious.

Meanwhile, this exists. You're free to look through this. The idea behind BLM is that police should be held accountable for these things and there needs to be systematic reform in the police training to take care of this, because it happens too often. It's not an anti-police campaign like the majority of people like to paint it as. It's not a black people vs police thing, either.

Another, more recent case, was of a man who was shot by a cop inside his car because he was presumably reaching for his license, which the cop mistook as reaching for a gun.

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/07/485049343/minn-man-shot-by-police-while-inside-a-car-with-a-woman-and-child

Edited by Jave

tbh after reading that article that seems incredibly dumb and the only positive thing I can glean from it was "at least they were polite" because they're canadian

a dumb float is not a problem

Yeah, it isn't really a problem, but the principle of them pushing their views (because this was leaders of the movement in Toronto and Vancouver, and in a way that directly disrupted the parade - which I'm not sure why people at the parade even agreed to) on an unrelated thing in an unprovoked manner (unless they are offended by seeing anything to do with police) isn't okay with me.

"We acknowledge that in certain contexts police presence to perform a job of civil service may deter acts of homophobia and violence, especially at designated queer events such as Pride," the letter said.

"However, we cannot divorce the policing institution from its historical and continued violence against Indigenous and (minority) communities, racial profiling, or inaction around our missing Indigenous women."

So yeah, they pretty much just forced their views on it. This is what makes me apprehensive to support BLM, because when leaders support things like this, it turns me away. I just hope it's an isolated incident, but I've heard other things like this.

Edited by Tryhard

A new civil war in the US would be interesting to see, honestly. It's something you'd have never imagined being possible in the 21st Century.

I hope things never reach that level though. A civil war in the US now would, probably, make the Syrian Civil War pale in comparison.

You can bet anybody and everybody around the world would get involved, and that's not even getting into what kind of groups would emerge in the US itself.

I guess time will tell. I'm only 26; who knows what things will look like by the time I'm 65 or 70.

Police do not hate black people, Lord Raven. You're becoming as deluded as those Black Lives Matter idiots. Not every cop is a saint, but for every one that isn't, hundreds more are good people. I see more people sharing good cop stories these days to show people that they can't lose faith in police. Another reason I defend them is because of how helpful they were when my brother died.

It might be a good idea for you to look at the lyrics of Jay-Z's "99 Problems". Or "Early" by Run The Jewels. Or "Clap" by Pharoahe Monch.

Black men have always been treated like criminals by the vast majority of cops. This isn't just a claim; it is documented fact over decades.

And besides, since when do I have to be pro-cop or pro-black? Why are they mutually exclusive?

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

I support BLM on most things but removing everything remotely police-related in a gay parade is not one of them. But I have this sort of view on many of the groups I support who sometimes go off the deep end, political party being one of them. So a chapter of BLM getting upset at police floats does not really make me apprehensive in supporting them even if I think they're being ridiculous on than front. They're bigger than that. Your mileage may vary.

As for Ana I have a feeling this is going to turn into:

34xn7d4.gif

With the opposition being the only party bothering with linking articles.

I don't think this is going to result in a Civil War. You will get people lashing out violently, but the condemnation is swift and widespread. I wasn't THERE in the 1950's when the Civil Rights movement was at it's peak, but I'm pretty sure it was more intense than this.

Yeah, it isn't really a problem, but the principle of them pushing their views (because this was leaders of the movement in Toronto and Vancouver, and in a way that directly disrupted the parade - which I'm not sure why people at the parade even agreed to) on an unrelated thing in an unprovoked manner (unless they are offended by seeing anything to do with police) isn't okay with me.

Speaking as a Torontonian, since the leaders/organizers who agreed to the policies that BLM asked for only to keep the parade moving, I'm inclined to believe that the only reason they agreed to allow BLM to speak was to avoid any potential backlash from them that might disrupt the day of the parade if they said no.

I'm kind of in the middle as well from that since, it really felt like BLM tried to make the parade more about them rather than about the LGBTQ as a collective group. I know their intentions were to bring awareness to the minority groups of people who are suffering and getting killed, but do you really need to reserve part of the parade for that? Not to mention they would have sit down during the whole duration of the parade if their policies weren't promised. The Pride Parade is a celebration for LGBTQ to have fun and be themselves so to have part of that taken away, it seems kind of selfish. But this is mostly coming from my own ignorance of not knowing how these groups of people feel so the only reason I can say and feel like that is because I've never been in the position where I felt oppressed.

Edited by carefreejules

I support BLM on most things but removing everything remotely police-related in a gay parade is not one of them. But I have this sort of view on many of the groups I support who sometimes go off the deep end, political party being one of them. So a chapter of BLM getting upset at police floats does not really make me apprehensive in supporting them even if I think they're being ridiculous on than front. They're bigger than that. Your mileage may vary.

True.

Speaking as a Torontonian, since the leaders/organizers who agreed to the policies that BLM asked for only to keep the parade moving, I'm inclined to believe that the only reason they agreed to allow BLM to speak was to avoid any potential backlash from them that might disrupt the day of the parade if they said no.

I'm kind of in the middle as well from that since, it really felt like BLM tried to make the parade more about them rather than about the LGBTQ as a collective group. I know their intentions were to bring awareness to the minority groups of people who are suffering and getting killed, but do you really need to reserve part of the parade for that? Not to mention they would have sit down during the whole duration of the parade if their policies weren't promised. The Pride Parade is a celebration for LGBTQ to have fun and be themselves so to have part of that taken away, it seems kind of selfish. But this is mostly coming from my own ignorance of not knowing how these groups of people feel so the only reason I can say and feel like that is because I've never been in the position where I felt oppressed.

Well, I wouldn't mind if they approached and asked if they could join as a Black Pride section, but their demand seemed weird. Anyway, it's just one thing up in Canada of all places that I was just using as an example and I wasn't trying to dilute the discourse as I pretty much agree with what almost everyone else said aside from not being particularly enthusiastic about supporting BLM. Edited by Tryhard

You sure that wall is still a joke?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-would-seek-to-block-money-transfers-to-force-mexico-to-fund-border-wall/2016/04/05/c0196314-fa7c-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html

Because this article talking about how Trump is going to make Mexico pay for it sounds EXTREMELY legit to me.

Well gee if you ask me, I feel like he should pay it considering he can so easily get a SMALL loan of a million dollars. This guy is so far up in his own rich privileged life it's unreal.

He doesn't mean Mexico will literally pay for it, he means that any earnings or revenue that the US gets from Mexico, like for things that have "made in Mexico" written on them, will go towards building the wall. And I don't think Trump is serious on it because it won't really help a lot in keeping illegal immigrants out. They can just come by boat instead, unless Trump plans on walling the entire country, which will never fly and probably isn't even possible.

No way would Mexico just give the money to us. That's beyond stupid.

Um, you've clearly thought about it more than him.

Let's just say Trump kind of sucks at making his point. But when you do your research, you learn a lot. That's why I became one of his supporters. I like where he's going with things.

EDIT: And as stated above, he doesn't seem to be good at critical thinking either.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd still be searching forever and I'm not wasting my time doing that.

Let's just say Trump kind of sucks at making his point. But when you do your research, you learn a lot.[/b]

?????

This thread has nothing to do with Trump, but if it's gonna take you forever to find something then are you sure that proof exists? Or do you only find things to re-affirm your own viewpoint?

Exactly, it doesn't have anything to do with Trump, so let's move away from that topic. There's a difference between doing research and digging up old as hell articles and TV recordings.

No... that's how research works, Ana. There is no difference. You have a viewpoint? You do research on it by digging up old articles and TV recordings.

Your viewpoint - which isn't a viewpoint, you're just stating a fact - is that many of these (black) men were armed. I find that dubious, because many were not armed (and look through the link I provided and you may be surprised or even disgusted). You do research to confirm your side in order to beat my side. This is how debate/discussion works.

No... that's how research works, Ana. There is no difference. You have a viewpoint? You do research on it by digging up old articles and TV recordings.

Your viewpoint - which isn't a viewpoint, you're just stating a fact - is that many of these (black) men were armed. I find that dubious, because many were not armed (and look through the link I provided and you may be surprised or even disgusted). You do research to confirm your side in order to beat my side. This is how debate/discussion works.

I know how this all works, you don't have to act like I'm stupid.

There is a difference. If I want to do research, I'm going to click links I find right away. I'm not going to spend hours finding a certain article I remembered reading long ago.

I really need to start making drafts, because my dumb hands keep making me change pages or Xing out the page

Here's something to think about... Crime based on Class and Gender.

For Class...

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

Base on this gov site, it seems that black and white crime rates are very similar in the lower class and the lower class has the highest crime rate.

Does it not seem that class play a big role in which a Cop would apprehend a citizen? That's also something to think about

For Gender... and a bit on Race...

https://youtu.be/O0zQf5NMG8E?t=25m58s go to around 29min mark.

It's a Karen Straughan video, so men's right activist. I do recommend watching the whole video because she makes good points about how men are often the victims and women are not.

Think about whether it's actually because of race only, or because of race and gender. Are you sure that a asian/black/hispanic/etc women would be treated the same way in the same situation that a man would be in? Are police targeting you because of mainly your race, or because of your gender too?

Seriously, look at those two links!

Edited by Hli Tshiab

[spoiler=Small trump tirade]

The thing about Trump is that he is a liar. He is a bad liar. And he lies all the god damn time. Even when you don't consider all the racist, homophobic, frankly fascist rhetoric he's been vomiting, he has sprouted hundreds of contradictions not just in this presidential campaign, but in his entire life. I don't think you can trust a candidate who is not only so willing to lie, but doesn't even try to lie in a convincing way. But then again i blame the toxic rhetoric he spouts on a daily basis on the fact that mindset has been encouraged over many many years by pandering politicians looking for votes.

But enough about the racist pumpkin.

What needs to happen, is that there needs to be proper oversight put in place to punish police officers who do stupid shit so that people don't feel like the police are above the law, and violence especially lethal violence has to be kept to a last resort.

Edited by Aquamarinechu

There's more to that first point.

http://stateofworkingamerica.org/fact-sheets/poverty/

Among racial and ethnic groups, African Americans had the highest poverty rate, 27.4 percent, followed by Hispanics at 26.6 percent and whites at 9.9 percent.

Now, let's take a look at conviction rates.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/08/22/chapter-3-demographic-economic-data-by-race/

First off, this affirms the first source. Second, this quote is telling.

In 2010, the incarceration rate for white men under local, state and federal jurisdiction was 678 inmates per 100,000 white U.S. residents; for black men, it was 4,347. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black men were more than six times as likely as white men to be incarcerated in 2010.

So while the rate is similar the quantity is larger, and the incarceration rate is much much larger for blacks than whites.

Could you summarize the second video?

[spoiler=Small trump tirade]

The thing about Trump is that he is a liar. He is a bad liar. And he lies all the god damn time. Even when you don't consider all the racist, homophobic, frankly fascist rhetoric he's been vomiting, he has sprouted hundreds of contradictions not just in this presidential campaign, but in his entire life. I don't think you can trust a candidate who is not only so willing to lie, but doesn't even try to lie in a convincing way. But then again i blame the toxic rhetoric he spouts on a daily basis on the fact that mindset has been encouraged over many many years by pandering politicians looking for votes.

But enough about the racist pumpkin.

What needs to happen, is that there needs to be proper oversight put in place to punish police officers who do stupid shit so that people don't feel like the police are above the law, and violence especially lethal violence has to be kept to a last resort.

...I think you're confusing Trump with Hillary.

I do agree with the second part of your post, though.

In addition, Sterling Brown was executed with a gun in his pocket.

I've done arrests before. And we were more worried about bombs. But I never shot anyone.

There was no reason for Sterling Brown to be executed. The video shows as much.

...I think you're confusing Trump with Hillary.

No, he's not. If he meant Hillary, he would have stated that at least Hillary tries to lie wholeheartedly. Trump just spouts vitriol everywhere. Edited by Pharoahe Monch