The next FE?

AmericanBuizel

It's kind of an hard argument to make. Most games do tend to have imbalances, with some units just being plain bad, but I don't think that's an intrinsic aspect to having a lot of characters. Ideally they'd made units varied and viable. Think about how Kaze, Saizo and Kagero are all the same class but are unique in their function. If the devs put the time and effort, they could do that with every character. There is really no excuse for giving characters class sets that don't match their growths, or growths that don't let them perform well in their default class (ex Tsubaki).

Could be worse, could be Ronan in FE5 who is an archer with like a 25% strength growth along with a stupidly high magic growth, and theres no magic bows, although magic is also resistance in that game so I guess mage killer? But it makes little sense even then.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite Ronan being a thing I'm going to draw attention to the fact of how incredibly well balanced Thracia is. Yes, there are quite a few units with ridiculously good pro weapons that most players will probably use a lot, but the mere fact tat their strength comes from over powered weapons means you probably won't be soloing the game with them since those weapons will break eventually. On top of that every unit in the game is good at something (even Ronan, though his niche is certainly more questionable than most. Point of fact though he has pretty high movement stars from what I can remember so he has that going for him too) and very commonly something that few other units can replicate. Even the absolute joke character who's useless in combat (Shanam) still has some reason to use him since he comes with Bargain. It also gives you the ability to modify growth rates thanks to the crusader scrolls so you have a lot of control over how your units develop. Then, the thing that ties it all together and ensures most players will be training more units than they can field, is the fatigue system which stops you over using units and actively encourages you to give them a chapter's rest and swap out another character. Thracia has by no means a small cast, 50 playable characters, and some characters are slightly odd but everyone is diverse and unique. It's probably my favourite playable cast in the series in terms of gameplay. Just imagine how crazy great it would be if you threw branched promotions on top of it.

Despite Ronan being a thing I'm going to draw attention to the fact of how incredibly well balanced Thracia is. Yes, there are quite a few units with ridiculously good pro weapons that most players will probably use a lot, but the mere fact tat their strength comes from over powered weapons means you probably won't be soloing the game with them since those weapons will break eventually. On top of that every unit in the game is good at something (even Ronan, though his niche is certainly more questionable than most. Point of fact though he has pretty high movement stars from what I can remember so he has that going for him too) and very commonly something that few other units can replicate. Even the absolute joke character who's useless in combat (Shanam) still has some reason to use him since he comes with Bargain. It also gives you the ability to modify growth rates thanks to the crusader scrolls so you have a lot of control over how your units develop. Then, the thing that ties it all together and ensures most players will be training more units than they can field, is the fatigue system which stops you over using units and actively encourages you to give them a chapter's rest and swap out another character. Thracia has by no means a small cast, 50 playable characters, and some characters are slightly odd but everyone is diverse and unique. It's probably my favourite playable cast in the series in terms of gameplay. Just imagine how crazy great it would be if you threw branched promotions on top of it.

Yeah aside from Ronan, the 5 cast is actually pretty well rounded, although there are some game breakers as usual.

It's kind of an hard argument to make. Most games do tend to have imbalances, with some units just being plain bad, but I don't think that's an intrinsic aspect to having a lot of characters. Ideally they'd made units varied and viable. Think about how Kaze, Saizo and Kagero are all the same class but are unique in their function. If the devs put the time and effort, they could do that with every character. There is really no excuse for giving characters class sets that don't match their growths, or growths that don't let them perform well in their default class (ex Tsubaki).

Are you talking about my argument being hard to make, or yours? (Sorry for being so thick).

I see what you mean and it would be nice to have a wide selection of balanced characters. The problem is that games with larger casts tend to be harder to balance. I guess I prefer quality over quantity, but having more quality characters is always a bonus. I also figured that less characters would mean that the writing team would have more time to spend developing each individual character and tying them into the plot better (maybe).

I am not sure if a game like Thracia 776 would be viable in this day and age, but I guess there is something to be said about the games mechanics if characters are that well balanced.

Are you talking about my argument being hard to make, or yours? (Sorry for being so thick).

I see what you mean and it would be nice to have a wide selection of balanced characters. The problem is that games with larger casts tend to be harder to balance. I guess I prefer quality over quantity, but having more quality characters is always a bonus. I also figured that less characters would mean that the writing team would have more time to spend developing each individual character and tying them into the plot better (maybe).

I am not sure if a game like Thracia 776 would be viable in this day and age, but I guess there is something to be said about the games mechanics if characters are that well balanced.

I was talking about my own argument. I'm basically saying "It's hard to say that big rosters don't hurt game balance when most games suggest otherwise, but it's theoretically possible if the devs put the effort in". That said, it might make for good characterization if there were a smaller cast. It would be a worthy experiment, even if larger casts stay the series standard.

I was talking about my own argument. I'm basically saying "It's hard to say that big rosters don't hurt game balance when most games suggest otherwise, but it's theoretically possible if the devs put the effort in". That said, it might make for good characterization if there were a smaller cast. It would be a worthy experiment, even if larger casts stay the series standard.

Thanks for clarifying.

I have an idea (well, more like fleshed-out concept!) for a new FE game. Also, WARNING: this idea is quite specific, so this is going to be loooong! The important part is in chapter 5.

Firstly, you start the game and you set a difficulty. There are 3 scales, each with 4 settings.
The first has permadeath: true classic (dead = dead for good); classic (death is permanent on the battlefield, but fallen units can still be involved in the story); casual (revive every chapter); and phoenix (because I needed a fourth mode...)
The next has difficulty: Normal (few enemies with few skills), Hard (you face more units in each chapter. Also, some chapters have more complex level mechanics to worry about. Also, slightly tougher bosses), Lunatic (like hard mode, but enemies have more skills, and some have forged weapons! Also, more enemies of higher levels and slightly tougher bosses), and Lunatic+ (like lunatic, but enemies have even more powerful skills, and you WILL get dogpiled!)
The final one is grinding: Off (you can only fight in chapters, paralogues and the arena); limited (Similar to fates); classy

(similar to awakening. WARNING: broken Morgan incoming!); and unlimited (like fates, but there's no level cap. Cue maxed out units!)
There would also be 6 default settings that can be chosen as "recommended" options. Newcomer (classic/normal/limited grinding); old (true classic/normal/grinding off); modern (classic/normal/classy grinding); puzzling (casual/lunatic/grinding off); cinema/easy (phoenix/normal/unlimited grinding); and challenging (true classic/hard/grinding off).

So, you start the game. Firstly, there is a prologue. You see two countries (I'll call them A and B for simplicity's sake) who are at war. There's a cutscene of them fighting. I'm thinking of something similar to the battle of sword valley in Xenoblade. At this point, you take control of some weak units, and are given a "seize/escape" mission. At this point, you are introduced to movement across the board and the idea of a dnager zone, and you have to make it to a specific space. The enemies are WAY out of your league, and you have to run out of the battle. After you do this, there is another cutscene, and the game FINALLY starts proper. Note: the game is set 1,000 years after awakening.

Chapter 1 starts. You are in a small village, playing as 3 poor travelers (the avatar, a pre-promote [merchant class], and another traveller [thief class]) who are in a border village when country B attacks! You then get a tutorial on how to fight. The enemies are weak (even on lunatic+) and the tutorial is given by your pre-promote. This chapter is a simple rout the enemy, but there are a couple of villages if you're in hard mode or above. After you kick ass and take names, you are introduced to the first few members of your army. Except for the tutorial pre-promote, you are very weak. The village gives you gifts and honor for your bravery, and you continue your journey. 2 of the villagers join you as you move on to the next chapter.

Chapter 2 starts very shortly after chapter 1, as you move on to the next village. However, country A attacks. It's another tutorial level, but this time you are introduced to things like pair-up (which works like in fates), activation skills (one of your new units has rend heaven), among other mechanics. This chapter is a beat the boss chapter. After you win this chapter, you gain another 2 units (meaning you now have 7 in total) and some more equipment. Additionally, you get your first chance to shop for new weapons (because some of your weapons may be a bit close to breaking) and you meet your first Anna.

Unless you set grinding to off, this would be your first chance to explore the map and participate in free battles. The arena will open later.

Next is chapter 3 (for those who haven't stopped reading because of how much detail I'm going into!) In the next village, you see a noble from country A. However, as is to be expected, country B attacks. The noble introduces you to dragon veins, which make a return from fates. This mission will be a defense mission (protect an area for X turns) as you try to beat back the B army. On higher difficulties, you could be outmatched! The noble joins your team (as she's the only person you have that can use dragon veins with, it's a game over if you lose her. Also, you have to take her to all subsequent chapters. She would essentially be this game's Chrom.)

On your way to chapter 4, you find the arena, which works like it did in older fire emblems. You also find some peaceful merchants to shop with as you explore the map.

In chapter 4 you go to a large field on the border, where country A attacks you. The noble is shocked by how country A is attacking the border, and you get a defeat the boss mission. You are then introduced to how strategy works on open terrain. Also, fliers and their weakness to bows is introduced.

Now chapter 5, this is where things get creative! You reach a town, and BOTH countries attack you. The objective is "???" as there are 4 ways to beat this chapter. The countries will attack both each-other and you (but if they kill each-other, you lose the potential for large EXP gains...) Now, this is where things get clever. If you kill 15 units on a certain side, the other country will offer to make an alliance with you. If you accept an alliance, you will be in the path corresponding to that country (A or B), and you will have to rout the enemy with your new allies. If you reject an alliance, you will have to defeat both bosses, and you are sent down route C. If you last 10 turns without being offered an alliance, you are sent down route D, and must survive a further 5 turns. Note that your behavior is what decides your path!

Chapters 6~25 are route dependent. On route A, you have to take over country B. Country B is stronger than country A, but has problems with rebellion. Thus, you help the rebel forces overcome country B, and you side with army A. You eventually seize the capital of B, and unite the land under the rule of A. You also gain access to the nobles of A (for dragon veins). On route B, you must first quell the rebellions, then win the war to put A out of their misery. Your units almost all contrive of people from B, including their nobles. On route C [rejected alliance] you must form your own country, and take over both A and B. You start by buffing the rebels in B, destabilizing the area, then you take over both capitals. Units will join your cause, as you keep a persona of peace and change: a way out of the war. The nobles will generally be those of lower rank who feel betrayed by their homelands. On path D [do jack shit] you defend both A and B against each-other. Your missions mainly revolve around defending traders and villages. Nobles from both sides join your cause. Eventually, both countries give up, and you put them into peace.

However, there will be some shared chapters and paralogues. There will be three paralogues and a chapter to defend against invading dragons; a paralogue chain to gain the 5 sacred weapons (Ragnell, Falcion, Omega Yato, The sword of seals, and the fire emblem itself as a shield) There would also be an Anna recruitment paralogue at some point. Also, the arena won't change regardless of your route.

Here are some ideas for some random chapters. The enemy sets your camp on fire, and you have to GTFO. Any units that failed to escape in 10 turns die. There are some helpless villages to defend (as long as the villagers don't suffer from derp AI...) There is a surprise attack from the other nation which you must defend against for X turns. There may be a ballista-filled bridge (WITHOUT the infuriating traps) to be crossed to reach B (in the A and C campaigns). There would also be many standard chapters, and many units to be gained in them. Maybe have more incorporation is breakable walls in seiges, and more application of dragonveins.

However, after chapter 25 (where you deal a final blow) the routes converge. Regardless of which route you chose, the two countries will be at peace, and united. Chapter 26 has you defend against some bigots in B, who don't agree with the peace. However, chapters 27~40 (this is a long game) are against another threat. The only difference between the routes is which units you do/don't have, and the occasional bit of flavor text. Starting in chapter 27, you gain grandmaster seals, that give you access to 3rd tier classes. When in these chapters, you play as the united countries A and B against an outside threat that involves the dragons you beat earlier.

The villain of chapters 27~40 would be M!Kana and F!Morgan. Yes, the same ones from fates and awakening. Morgan would live a very long time thanks to the fell dragon's genes, and Kana is a manakete. Their motive would be the fact that, as they've seen the "good" side win EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. they would want the dragons to win for once to change things. Cue 4th wall breaking, references, and shots fired everywhere (especially at the previous 14 games).

In chapter ~37, you would face Morgan. She has the skill class fluidity, meaning she changes class every turn in a set order. She also has galeforce, among other OP things. She also has maxed out stats and a high movement. This would make her a very dangerous and unpredictable unit. However, the game would tell you what class she is about to switch to, so you essentially have to plan around two classes.

However, the final boss is Kana. He is a very powerful dragon boss with a crapton of HP and attack. He also has access to dragonveins. A general hard boss. However, he also gains the skill "invincible", which does exactly what it says on the tin! The only way to beat him is the avatar's personal skill (which you have from the start!) "observation: when this unit is attacked first, negates the opponent's defensive skills." This includes invincible, and the player has to figure that one out for themselves. Kana wouldn't be able to move, but he would always attack the avatar if given the choice (so you can be shown that observation works on Kana).

Once Kana is defeated, if you don't have the 5 weapons from the [potentially hidden?] paralogues unlocked in ch6~25, the game ends with a neutral ending. If you lose to Kana, you get a bad ending. However, if you beat Kana and have the 5 weapons from the paralogues, you get an extra chapter 41. In this chapter, you have to battle through a sacred cavern to seal the 5 weapons away, so no-one can abuse them for the next few millenia. (But not forever, we need another game)

Here are some other miscellaneous ideas to be in the game:

-Limit fanservice to being nods to previous games or wider culture. No blatant body parts, PLEASE!
-Any manaketes from previous games could make their appearance here, because fanservice.
-Nyx could be a dark mage and assistant to Morgan
-The summoner class (a third tier branch of dark mage) would summon units which have their own level -5. This allows them to summon strong units, while not being OP.
-A new weapon type could be shields. These can't attack, but greatly increase defense and have a chance of blocking attacks (0 damage)
-A new mechanic exclusive to some classes (especially high tiers) would be dual wielding. This would lower defense greatly, but give you two attacks. You would also only be able to use low-level weapons (current skill level -2. This restriction would be removed with a skill) This would make shields useful.
-More focus on capturing units. This would let you use A's army in the B campaign etc.
-A defender skill. This would give a high chance of doubling your defence/resistance. It's basically the opposite of Luna.
-An astrology skill. This would be reserved for Morgan, some lunatic/lunatic+ enemies and a third tier class. It would combine the effects of Sol, Luna and Astra with activation of skillx0.3%
-Attacking staves. (to replace light magic)
-Healing tomes.

-Life magic (ie plants). They would be very powerful magic tomes, but they would lose to both materia and dark on the weapon triangle. We saw a glimpse of this with Brynhildir in Fates. Maybe the summoner could use one to summon more/more powerful units? Also, these tomes may give buffs/healing to the user.
-The different dragonstone types from older fire emblems.
-A "casual" staff. Lets you revive a unit on classic mode. (seen in fates)
-The "my castle" idea from fates.
-Forging weapons like older games.
-Being able to get 2 Annas. I'd like to see their support!

-Remove children. They have long overstayed their welcome. However, LOOSELY keep the S support idea. That being said, the avatar won't be able to marry everyone, and there won't be Avatar only units. Also, have them be best friends/love intrests, not instantly married!

-The avatar should be a Robin-esque tactician character (though not necessarily tactician class), but should be flawed. They may not be kind in all cases, and would make mistakes. Think Phoenix Wright. Also, the avatar would have no inherited plot-relevance apart from the observation skill. The only reason they're in the story is because of the strength the player gave them.

-Weapons triangle should involve all things. So: swords outmaneuver axes, which break lances, which ourange swords; wind magic extinguishes fire, which is lighted by thunder, which is made by wind; dark beats materia, which beats light (which includes attacking staves) which beats dark; bows outrange magic, which attracts to swords/lances/axes, which break bows. Finally, dragonstones beat magic and bows, but lose to swords, lances and axes.

-Add unarmed combat. Maybe with a skill for spies/ninja? It would always lose the weapon triangle, but wouldn't use weapon durability.

-Bring back the idea of many chapter objectives (escape or beat the boss) and perhaps have some of those affect the story(?)

-Characters you must work to obtain. Maybe you have to go through paralogues for these characters? (instead of child characters)

-Hidden objectives/chests everywhere. You DO have a thief from the start!

-Have dragonstones be powerful again. They're DRAGONS, for crying out loud!

-The five weapons be guarded by the relevant bosses. The black knight guards ragnell, Tiki guards Falchion etc.

-Have supports give small buffs to your units (training would increase strength etc.) They don't have to be big, required or game breaking. Just a small buff (or debuff!) to show that your actions in supports may have consequences. Maybe even have some supports that would bring a character back in classic mode (but not true classic)

-Ballistas can kill units and gain EXP.

-Amiibo compatability. (all FE smash characters. Also, Shulk would have a level of his own with mechon as the enemy)

-Make miracle put you on 0HP (but alive), instead of 1HP

And that's my idea of a good fire emblem. Have a nice day and thanks for reading my insanely long-winded idea!

I have an idea (well, more like fleshed-out concept!) for a new FE game. Also, WARNING: this idea is quite specific, so this is going to be loooong! The important part is in chapter 5.

Firstly, you start the game and you set a difficulty. There are 3 scales, each with 4 settings.

The first has permadeath: true classic (dead = dead for good); classic (death is permanent on the battlefield, but fallen units can still be involved in the story); casual (revive every chapter); and phoenix (because I needed a fourth mode...)

The next has difficulty: Normal (few enemies with few skills), Hard (you face more units in each chapter. Also, some chapters have more complex level mechanics to worry about. Also, slightly tougher bosses), Lunatic (like hard mode, but enemies have more skills, and some have forged weapons! Also, more enemies of higher levels and slightly tougher bosses), and Lunatic+ (like lunatic, but enemies have even more powerful skills, and you WILL get dogpiled!)

The final one is grinding: Off (you can only fight in chapters, paralogues and the arena); limited (Similar to fates); classy

(similar to awakening. WARNING: broken Morgan incoming!); and unlimited (like fates, but there's no level cap. Cue maxed out units!)

There would also be 6 default settings that can be chosen as "recommended" options. Newcomer (classic/normal/limited grinding); old (true classic/normal/grinding off); modern (classic/normal/classy grinding); puzzling (casual/lunatic/grinding off); cinema/easy (phoenix/normal/unlimited grinding); and challenging (true classic/hard/grinding off).

So, you start the game. Firstly, there is a prologue. You see two countries (I'll call them A and B for simplicity's sake) who are at war. There's a cutscene of them fighting. I'm thinking of something similar to the battle of sword valley in Xenoblade. At this point, you take control of some weak units, and are given a "seize/escape" mission. At this point, you are introduced to movement across the board and the idea of a dnager zone, and you have to make it to a specific space. The enemies are WAY out of your league, and you have to run out of the battle. After you do this, there is another cutscene, and the game FINALLY starts proper. Note: the game is set 1,000 years after awakening.

Chapter 1 starts. You are in a small village, playing as 3 poor travelers (the avatar, a pre-promote [merchant class], and another traveller [thief class]) who are in a border village when country B attacks! You then get a tutorial on how to fight. The enemies are weak (even on lunatic+) and the tutorial is given by your pre-promote. This chapter is a simple rout the enemy, but there are a couple of villages if you're in hard mode or above. After you kick ass and take names, you are introduced to the first few members of your army. Except for the tutorial pre-promote, you are very weak. The village gives you gifts and honor for your bravery, and you continue your journey. 2 of the villagers join you as you move on to the next chapter.

Chapter 2 starts very shortly after chapter 1, as you move on to the next village. However, country A attacks. It's another tutorial level, but this time you are introduced to things like pair-up (which works like in fates), activation skills (one of your new units has rend heaven), among other mechanics. This chapter is a beat the boss chapter. After you win this chapter, you gain another 2 units (meaning you now have 7 in total) and some more equipment. Additionally, you get your first chance to shop for new weapons (because some of your weapons may be a bit close to breaking) and you meet your first Anna.

Unless you set grinding to off, this would be your first chance to explore the map and participate in free battles. The arena will open later.

Next is chapter 3 (for those who haven't stopped reading because of how much detail I'm going into!) In the next village, you see a noble from country A. However, as is to be expected, country B attacks. The noble introduces you to dragon veins, which make a return from fates. This mission will be a defense mission (protect an area for X turns) as you try to beat back the B army. On higher difficulties, you could be outmatched! The noble joins your team (as she's the only person you have that can use dragon veins with, it's a game over if you lose her. Also, you have to take her to all subsequent chapters. She would essentially be this game's Chrom.)

On your way to chapter 4, you find the arena, which works like it did in older fire emblems. You also find some peaceful merchants to shop with as you explore the map.

In chapter 4 you go to a large field on the border, where country A attacks you. The noble is shocked by how country A is attacking the border, and you get a defeat the boss mission. You are then introduced to how strategy works on open terrain. Also, fliers and their weakness to bows is introduced.

Now chapter 5, this is where things get creative! You reach a town, and BOTH countries attack you. The objective is "???" as there are 4 ways to beat this chapter. The countries will attack both each-other and you (but if they kill each-other, you lose the potential for large EXP gains...) Now, this is where things get clever. If you kill 15 units on a certain side, the other country will offer to make an alliance with you. If you accept an alliance, you will be in the path corresponding to that country (A or B), and you will have to rout the enemy with your new allies. If you reject an alliance, you will have to defeat both bosses, and you are sent down route C. If you last 10 turns without being offered an alliance, you are sent down route D, and must survive a further 5 turns. Note that your behavior is what decides your path!

Chapters 6~25 are route dependent. On route A, you have to take over country B. Country B is stronger than country A, but has problems with rebellion. Thus, you help the rebel forces overcome country B, and you side with army A. You eventually seize the capital of B, and unite the land under the rule of A. You also gain access to the nobles of A (for dragon veins). On route B, you must first quell the rebellions, then win the war to put A out of their misery. Your units almost all contrive of people from B, including their nobles. On route C [rejected alliance] you must form your own country, and take over both A and B. You start by buffing the rebels in B, destabilizing the area, then you take over both capitals. Units will join your cause, as you keep a persona of peace and change: a way out of the war. The nobles will generally be those of lower rank who feel betrayed by their homelands. On path D [do jack shit] you defend both A and B against each-other. Your missions mainly revolve around defending traders and villages. Nobles from both sides join your cause. Eventually, both countries give up, and you put them into peace.

However, there will be some shared chapters and paralogues. There will be three paralogues and a chapter to defend against invading dragons; a paralogue chain to gain the 5 sacred weapons (Ragnell, Falcion, Omega Yato, The sword of seals, and the fire emblem itself as a shield) There would also be an Anna recruitment paralogue at some point. Also, the arena won't change regardless of your route.

Here are some ideas for some random chapters. The enemy sets your camp on fire, and you have to GTFO. Any units that failed to escape in 10 turns die. There are some helpless villages to defend (as long as the villagers don't suffer from derp AI...) There is a surprise attack from the other nation which you must defend against for X turns. There may be a ballista-filled bridge (WITHOUT the infuriating traps) to be crossed to reach B (in the A and C campaigns). There would also be many standard chapters, and many units to be gained in them. Maybe have more incorporation is breakable walls in seiges, and more application of dragonveins.

However, after chapter 25 (where you deal a final blow) the routes converge. Regardless of which route you chose, the two countries will be at peace, and united. Chapter 26 has you defend against some bigots in B, who don't agree with the peace. However, chapters 27~40 (this is a long game) are against another threat. The only difference between the routes is which units you do/don't have, and the occasional bit of flavor text. Starting in chapter 27, you gain grandmaster seals, that give you access to 3rd tier classes. When in these chapters, you play as the united countries A and B against an outside threat that involves the dragons you beat earlier.

The villain of chapters 27~40 would be M!Kana and F!Morgan. Yes, the same ones from fates and awakening. Morgan would live a very long time thanks to the fell dragon's genes, and Kana is a manakete. Their motive would be the fact that, as they've seen the "good" side win EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. they would want the dragons to win for once to change things. Cue 4th wall breaking, references, and shots fired everywhere (especially at the previous 14 games).

In chapter ~37, you would face Morgan. She has the skill class fluidity, meaning she changes class every turn in a set order. She also has galeforce, among other OP things. She also has maxed out stats and a high movement. This would make her a very dangerous and unpredictable unit. However, the game would tell you what class she is about to switch to, so you essentially have to plan around two classes.

However, the final boss is Kana. He is a very powerful dragon boss with a crapton of HP and attack. He also has access to dragonveins. A general hard boss. However, he also gains the skill "invincible", which does exactly what it says on the tin! The only way to beat him is the avatar's personal skill (which you have from the start!) "observation: when this unit is attacked first, negates the opponent's defensive skills." This includes invincible, and the player has to figure that one out for themselves. Kana wouldn't be able to move, but he would always attack the avatar if given the choice (so you can be shown that observation works on Kana).

Once Kana is defeated, if you don't have the 5 weapons from the [potentially hidden?] paralogues unlocked in ch6~25, the game ends with a neutral ending. If you lose to Kana, you get a bad ending. However, if you beat Kana and have the 5 weapons from the paralogues, you get an extra chapter 41. In this chapter, you have to battle through a sacred cavern to seal the 5 weapons away, so no-one can abuse them for the next few millenia. (But not forever, we need another game)

Here are some other miscellaneous ideas to be in the game:

-Limit fanservice to being nods to previous games or wider culture. No blatant body parts, PLEASE!

-Any manaketes from previous games could make their appearance here, because fanservice.

-Nyx could be a dark mage and assistant to Morgan

-The summoner class (a third tier branch of dark mage) would summon units which have their own level -5. This allows them to summon strong units, while not being OP.

-A new weapon type could be shields. These can't attack, but greatly increase defense and have a chance of blocking attacks (0 damage)

-A new mechanic exclusive to some classes (especially high tiers) would be dual wielding. This would lower defense greatly, but give you two attacks. You would also only be able to use low-level weapons (current skill level -2. This restriction would be removed with a skill) This would make shields useful.

-More focus on capturing units. This would let you use A's army in the B campaign etc.

-A defender skill. This would give a high chance of doubling your defence/resistance. It's basically the opposite of Luna.

-An astrology skill. This would be reserved for Morgan, some lunatic/lunatic+ enemies and a third tier class. It would combine the effects of Sol, Luna and Astra with activation of skillx0.3%

-Attacking staves. (to replace light magic)

-Healing tomes.

-Life magic (ie plants). They would be very powerful magic tomes, but they would lose to both materia and dark on the weapon triangle. We saw a glimpse of this with Brynhildir in Fates. Maybe the summoner could use one to summon more/more powerful units? Also, these tomes may give buffs/healing to the user.

-The different dragonstone types from older fire emblems.

-A "casual" staff. Lets you revive a unit on classic mode. (seen in fates)

-The "my castle" idea from fates.

-Forging weapons like older games.

-Being able to get 2 Annas. I'd like to see their support!

-Remove children. They have long overstayed their welcome. However, LOOSELY keep the S support idea. That being said, the avatar won't be able to marry everyone, and there won't be Avatar only units. Also, have them be best friends/love intrests, not instantly married!

-The avatar should be a Robin-esque tactician character (though not necessarily tactician class), but should be flawed. They may not be kind in all cases, and would make mistakes. Think Phoenix Wright. Also, the avatar would have no inherited plot-relevance apart from the observation skill. The only reason they're in the story is because of the strength the player gave them.

-Weapons triangle should involve all things. So: swords outmaneuver axes, which break lances, which ourange swords; wind magic extinguishes fire, which is lighted by thunder, which is made by wind; dark beats materia, which beats light (which includes attacking staves) which beats dark; bows outrange magic, which attracts to swords/lances/axes, which break bows. Finally, dragonstones beat magic and bows, but lose to swords, lances and axes.

-Add unarmed combat. Maybe with a skill for spies/ninja? It would always lose the weapon triangle, but wouldn't use weapon durability.

-Bring back the idea of many chapter objectives (escape or beat the boss) and perhaps have some of those affect the story(?)

-Characters you must work to obtain. Maybe you have to go through paralogues for these characters? (instead of child characters)

-Hidden objectives/chests everywhere. You DO have a thief from the start!

-Have dragonstones be powerful again. They're DRAGONS, for crying out loud!

-The five weapons be guarded by the relevant bosses. The black knight guards ragnell, Tiki guards Falchion etc.

-Have supports give small buffs to your units (training would increase strength etc.) They don't have to be big, required or game breaking. Just a small buff (or debuff!) to show that your actions in supports may have consequences. Maybe even have some supports that would bring a character back in classic mode (but not true classic)

-Ballistas can kill units and gain EXP.

-Amiibo compatability. (all FE smash characters. Also, Shulk would have a level of his own with mechon as the enemy)

-Make miracle put you on 0HP (but alive), instead of 1HP

And that's my idea of a good fire emblem. Have a nice day and thanks for reading my insanely long-winded idea!

Not crazy about previous characters in the series suddenly turning up to be the final boss but that aside there are some quite good ideas here. You can work on your presentation a little. I can summarise your first 10 paragraphs or so into two lines of text. Grinding as an extra rule option on top of difficulty and classic/new comer. Play through five neutral chapters with your actions and kill count in your final chapter determining your route. Obviously you don't need to explain yourself in one line but that sheer amount of text is bound to turn people off reading it as you're no doubt aware.

Edited by Jotari

Definitely an idea with some merit, although do you think for the fourth path your army that the protagonists should be repeatedly dragged into the conflict? But anyways i definitely like the idea of two enemy armies, like a red army and a black. Its something i feel like they should have done a long time ago. Kudos to you for the great idea though.

*edit: Reduced quote length.*

Edited by valieruswanderer

Please, when quoting a long post, cut it down (or just hit quote, delete all the text, and type in -snip- or something followed by your thoughts.)

Realistically (What will probably happen)

1: DLC will likely return for future installments. I'm sure that the "EXP DLC, Weapons DLC, and Gold DLC" will become standard, with each game putting its own spin on the formula. I would also hazard a guess that there will be "Special CG" maps as well.

2: I see Avatar character sticking around. However, I would like to have game where the Avatar unit, while amazing, is not the main focus of the story. For example, I think of Xenoblade Chronicles X's player avatar, while he/she is "the awesome Rookie", the main story actually revolves around Elma (and Lin, and Tatsu). The player just plays as a bad*** character that just happens to tag along with the important people.

3: My Castle functionality will likely return. I see this feature being the evolution of Base Conversations back from Fire Emblem 9 and 10 and the Barracks functionality from Awakening. Personally, I would like to see more personalized Base Conversations again, so hopefully they can implement this feature alongside the generic dialogues.

4: I see the "S" Rank support system returning, but I hope that instead of just plain up marriage that "S" Ranks just mean a paired, personalized ending like in Sacred Stones. Also, I would rather see a low amount of quality supports than a lot that rely on cliches. Lastly, there doesn't have to be an "S" option for all characters, some characters just go up to A.

5: I am unsure if children will return, and I hope they do not unless there is a justifiable reason for them to return. While I enjoyed them for what they were, there can be far more variety in character designs. In addition, as of late, the FE games need a little more world building instead of character building, and having a child character trying to build up the character of the parent gets old rather quickly. New recruitable characters can add in more information about the world instead of kids that are shoved away in another dimension.

6: I think the new weapon system (Updated Triangle and addition of Daggers) may stick around and get its own evolution. I have a feeling that Fate's weapon system will become the new norm, unless they end up hybridizing durability with different weapon effects. I really hope they change Silver weapon's functionality, mostly because I'm more of an Enemy Phase player instead of setting up killzones for the Player Phase. Alternatively, upgrade the Forge to also allow for "weapon skins", so if I want my "Iron Lance" to look like a "Silver Lance" and vice versa, let me do so!

7: Skills and Personal Skills will likely return. I love both, and Personal Skills is a great way to make a character different from others in that class.

Dream Fire Emblem (What I would like to see)

1: It is released on the Nintendo Switch. Console FE on the go!

2: It had 3D models, animations, and graphics similar to Radiant Dawn, improved of course.

3: The return of the Pegasus Knight Trio Attack. Sure, I may never use it, but it's a fun thing nevertheless.

4: Improved lore and character motivations. What is the history of the world and each nation? Why are the characters fighting, and what do they treasure or fear?

5: Practical armor designs sprinkled with some fanservice. Take Radiant Dawn for example, it had practical armor designs like Jill and Titania, but then you have Calil who wears an outfit that reveals her entire leg, Ilyana with a short skirt, or Nephenee as a Sentinel. As long as the outfit makes sense for that character and it is not blown out of proportion, the fanservicey designs are fine. (An example of fanservice done wrong is Camilla from Fates. The breasts are overly emphasized and there are battle panties. It doesn't help the game also intensifies her outfit when portraying her character. Nailah from RD does it better when portraying women with large breasts.)

6: Removal of My Room and cheesy Confession scenes.

7: Character Specific Paralogues. I would like these to expand on that character's story, or even a group of characters if they are all often together. If they remove children characters, they can replace the kid paralogues with this instead.

8: Gameplay with varied objectives, like FEConquest and the Radiance series. Also include skirmishes and side areas like in Sacred Stones (Tower of Valni, Ruins). I would love a postgame challenge area that is accessible on the base game without DLC.

9: A primary antagonist who is mortal. Sure, this person can be hungering for overworldly power, but the big bad is still just a simple man or woman. Yes, the final boss can be some insane monster, the big bad ascended, or something to deliver on that, but I want an antagonist who is just a normal human the majority of the game and NOT having redeemable values. I want a straight up villain who the player will hate, not sympathize with.

10: Playable Transform characters, such as Manaketes and Laguz. Make sure they also have sufficient lore and backstory too!

11: Playable Soldier class, like in the Radiance series.

12: Expanded Magic like in the Radiance series. I want Light magic back, with proper Dark magic! While it would be cool to see a subset of Anima magic again (Fire, Lightning, Wind), I much rather have different classes that wield different variants like Light + Sword, Dark + Axe, Anima + Spear instead of Fire Mage, Wind Mage, Thunder Mage.

13: Fog of War. Bring it back! Maybe even have one map in pitch darkness if one wants to be evil.

14: World Map with Narration. Seriously, some of the narration builds on what is going on and expands the world, and offers a different perspective than just pure characters.

Taken from Realistic List: Non-intrusive Avatar, Improved My Castle, Base Conversations, quality Support Conversations, expanded Character Endings, Weapon Skins, Skills, Personal Skills

I'll stop here before I end up thinking of any more and start adding in the smallest details. Man, sometimes I just want to go out and make my own Fire Emblem like game, but then there is so much involved as well as a lot of other projects I need to finish...

I've already read a few of the things I want (smaller more fleshed out cast, better story etc)

but one thing I'd like changed is the legendary weapon thing.

I'd like it if the weapon the "great hero who saved the world back then" used was in the hands of the main antagonist, and he/she used the "I am the chosen one" talk to bring people to their side.

And then the main hero/heroine would be someone who ignores this, goes on their quest for revenge or whatever and generally acts on their own interests, until realizing/deciding that the "chosen one" needs to be stopped. And then an arc about how to challenge the wielder of such a powerful weapon, and the answer is to forge a new legendary weapon for the MC. Have side quests like gather this rare mineral, obtain this rare magic tome for us to seal in the weapon, etc.

As nice as it is to recreate/surpass the legendary hero's exploits, I feel this could be a very nice change.

Oh, and since the avatar is seemingly here to stay make them either a very close friend of the MC, or someone the MC just hired for tactical purposes.

Edited by TheInternetExplorer

Fire Emblem on Nintendo Switch though? That would sound amazing.

- No need for Marriage right (I mean, I'm fine either way but it's getting old with the whole... kids schematic).

- Characters with more unique personalities.

- Maybe the lack of an avatar for once would actually be appealing too.

Fire Emblem on Nintendo Switch though? That would sound amazing.

- No need for Marriage right (I mean, I'm fine either way but it's getting old with the whole... kids schematic).

- Characters with more unique personalities.

- Maybe the lack of an avatar for once would actually be appealing too.

I concur. I never saw the point in marriage if the mothers and fathers are themselves powerful than the child. Maybe if done like Holy war, it makes a lot of sense.

I guess marriage is more of replay value rather than an interesting mechanic.

-Get rid of infinite durability for weapons (although it can be kept on some of the special ones). It made things way too easy by slapping things with few debuffs on units and destroying things... Not to mention the whole system with them raising and lowering stats were too confusing... Rather, I prefer to bring back the repair system from FE4...

-Make all classes relevant again... If I want to use magic users, I should be able to do so without them being gimped... Same thing with situations like Nosfertu being the only dark tome... Give me an incentive to vary my units, and also a wide range of enemies combat...

-Make Griffins and Knisi (sp?) their own separate classes... I'm fine with any new classes, but having them randomly promote from a Pegasus Knight seems odd...

-Get rid of fan service and expies....

-Don't use 2nd Gen unless they are relevant to the plot

-Keep the classes not gender exclusive, but for the ones that don't match the gender (e.g. male Pegasus Knights), can we at least have a different name? It seems odd having someone be a male and a Troubadour, when Troubadour is traditionally used for females...

-Get rid of DLC and make the extra missions accessible in game, but by difficult conditions (mainly thinking of Revelations, but Awakening was a offender too...)

-Get rid of the more complicated weapon triangle, and have the extra weapons ( e.g. hidden weapons) either follow their own triangle or not be part of it at all...

-Keep the classes not gender exclusive, but for the ones that don't match the gender (e.g. male Pegasus Knights), can we at least have a different name? It seems odd having someone be a male and a Troubadour, when Troubadour is traditionally used for females...

Well... Actually the term also applies with males (in fact, in real life is mostly used with men)

Exclusively actually. Female Troubadors were called Trobairitz.

I know the term was mostly male used... But I don't know about Trobairitz... Why we have never used that term before? The class was Female Exclusive before Fates (and in the JP Version they changed the name to be ironically Unisex)? It's so ironic

I know the term was mostly male used... But I don't know about Trobairitz... Why we have never used that term before? The class was Female Exclusive before Fates (and in the JP Version they changed the name to be ironically Unisex)? It's so ironic

Critical research failure?

There's no other explanation I can think of, haha.

The better question is why mounted healers were even called Troubadours in the first place.

The better question is why mounted healers were even called Troubadours in the first place.

Kaga had weird ideas, I guess :p

So I'm currently playing FE6 right now and honestly, even Conquest is a lot better than this game for a simple reason that maps are lengthy for a handheld game like this.

Sure, Conquest also has long maps but atleast there, units have proper base stats and growth stats unlike FE6. And it has casual mode so that helps....still I feel having long maps is a bit stressful.

While I can understand that its difficult to lower enemy stats to compensate for the map layout, why can't we have any short maps in this series if the first few chapters could have short maps to begin with?

Wouldn't that help into adding more chapters than adding the same chapter layout? Don't get me wrong, the maps are very creative both in Conquest and FE6 but I simply feel that unless IS decides to have enemies with lower stats, I think I would like it if they had many short maps and one or few long ones. Atleast its less stressful and more fun that way.

Edited by Harvey