Fates Character Design Opinions (Final Day #37 - Arete, Sumeragi, Anankos)

Naturesshadow

Fuuga (Buff Rick Harrison) - he is going to take you for a wild ride! (Curse that obnoxious wind). He looks pretty solid, I guess.

Anna (Nurse Joy) - I suppose she is sort of cute, but I really dislike the fact that she is basically Nurse Joy. I liked that she was a reoccurring character in the series, but ever since IS introduced science fiction elements via an effective multiverse, they felt the need to have a whole bunch of Annas (but it just serves to make things more stupid). I also dislike how the many Annas have made Larabel irrelevant and how Jake is pretty much forgotten.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now onto the 2nd generation characters, starting off with Kana and Shigure:

#47 - Kana

A cute little design, perhaps a bit too little. I felt bad fielding these guys as they just look waaaay to young to be fighting (not helped by their personality that confirmed their rough age). Design wise they're pretty much the same as Corrin, even FKana has those thigh holes, which is rather off-putting for such a young girl. I do prefer FKana over MKana though, she's just cuter and the hair bun works well for her, plus the way she say's papa s quite adorable.

#48 - Shigure

Alot of blue and gold on this guy. The fringe does look a bit silly but otherwise his design is pretty solid. Pretty much like Subaki's but with different colours. The blue/gold combo works well and suits his character. His voice is nice and soothing, he does pretty well with the singing too.

Kana - tries too hard to be cute and ends up being obnoxious; his/her design reflects this.

Shigure - to be honest, I often forget he even exists. He just lacks any presence in the standard game (although, that is a trait he shares with most of the children characters). If he started with a more notable class, like oni savage, then I would probably remember him better. (And no, I do not bother with most of the DLC, so he is just a character who does little else but exist, in my opinion).

Next up we have 3 children to look at, due to the numbers would have left me with 1 to do on one of the day so that ain't gonna happen, Dwyer, Sophie and Midori:

#49 - Dwyer

The one thing that caught my eye with Dwyer's design the first time I saw him was his facial expressions. He looked like such a paranoid fella, even though his personality isn't like that. Design wise is pretty solid. Slick black design looks nice and I dig his wild hair style. Also I noticed the spade symbol on his little shield there, which is a nice touch. I wasn't expecting the voice he got but overall it works, especially considering his personality. That slow, can't be arsed feeling it portrays works well for him and is amusing to listen to.

#50 - Sophie

A decent design held back by the lack of pants (again, just sticks out with all the heavy armour). Her hair design is interesting, in fact I just found the support where she talks about having her hair like that on purpose. Another heavy black coloured theme which is common with the Nohrian characters. I like her cheery, bubbly voice, it suits her.

#51 - Midori

Mighty Midori! I like this one. I love the green twin tailed hair (a personal favourite combination) and Midori's facial expressions are quite cute. Her clothes are also nicely designed, with the green/tan complimenting each other, the little gold circles adding flair, and the wooden box on her back where she keeps all her herbs, spices and everything nice. Her voice also adds to the charm and I like her crit quotes, particularly with them medicine puns. I suppose I have a weakness to green things due to it being my favourite colour. Overall one of my favourites of the children designs. Also I like the apothecary animations, while the standard attacks are what you expect from an archer class, the other animations from the shooting and falling backwards (sometimes a long roll) and the aerial cartwheel are quite amusing to watch and I like her victory animation, she's just so happy to win.

Dwyer is basically L from Death Note with a variable hair color in terms of looks, plus basic male Troubadour outfit. TBH, I have zero problem with this, haha. I dig.

Midori is adorable, and... well... There's not really much else to say there... .3. ; She's designed to be cute, and I believe it's a successful design.

Sophie is fine, but doesn't stick out to me that much. Her hairdo and hair ornament are pretty cool, and she's cute enough. Lack of pants is... well... yeah... Everyone complains about it for a reason, haha.

The artist of those images must have had a bad day because Deere's face looks really off-model and the proportions of the other two look...off.

My comments on their designs are pretty much the same as BANRYU's, so I will leave this at just that.

Edited by KoimanZX

Shura

Another classic seeming design. I like his poofy hair.

Izana

It's a fine design. I would like it better if his personality was more serious to go with the royal air he gives off.

Fuga

One swole ugly dude.

Anna

Cute design. Better than her Awakening design for sure.

Kana

It's better than Kamui, but still weird.

Shigure

Everything is cool until you get to the hair. Get this scene kid back to the 2000s.

Dwyer

Knockoff L.

Sophie

Looks like an annoying character.

Midori

When lolis go too far.

Shura

I like his design, reminds a lot of Priam

IZANA, THE IZANA

His design fits his royal status, reminds me of Libra. Also, that fab hair.

Christian Von Koenigsegg Fuga

The muscular build fits him. He look like what one expects a chieftain to look.

Anna

I'm not a fan of the chibi look she has in this game, I much prefer her Awakening design, it seemed more fitting.

Kanna

Feels under-designed in comparison to Corrin.

Shigure Miyamoto

I don't care what anyone says, his design and hairstyle fit him, though he should have been a Spear Fighter.

Dwyer

Looks like L? Idfk

Sophie

Someone giver her pants or shorts or something!

Midori

That backpack must look heavy, though at least she ditches it when promoting.

Next up, the Hoshidan royal kids, Shiro and Kiragi:

#52 - Shiro

I like this one. He looks to be following in his father's footsteps in growing that mighty mullet of a hair (Albeit it he still has a long way to go on that). While not as flashy as his father, it makes sense considering his lack of knowledge of his father's position in his world. He does carry on his father's colour scheme though which suits him well and it also it looks like the spear fighter uniform is of a unisex kind being exactly the same as Oboro's minus the colour scheme. Voice wise he sounds more cocky and headstrong in comparison to his father.

#53 - Kiragi

Similar to Takumi but minus the ponytail hair, but like Shiro may follow in his footsteps one day. His design is interesting, he has the same kind of clothing as Takumi but with some differences, those being the brown fur over the white fur around his waist that also looks more raw and not as polished as his fathers and his blue theme that is darker than his. Simple but solid design, I Also like the enthusiasm in his voice and I get a chuckle out of his celebrations in a victory after plucking someone with arrows.

Next up, The Nohrian royal kids, Siegbert and Forrest:

#54 - Siegbert

Unlike Shiro, Siegbert definitely looks like he's taking after his father. He's got similar clothes to him and the hairstyle is similar but lacking the locks, in fact the hair is rather flat (literally). Considering his personality it makes sense that he'd follow in his father's footsteps so it works in that regard.

#55 - Forrest

Another edition to the "beautiful men" variety that we've seen from characters like Lucius and Libra. He's certainly the most feminine of this trope I've seen in this franchise and hell when I first saw him I did legit think he was a woman, Which I didn't even think of with Lucius and Libra. Clothes wise he looks very similar to Maribelle, in fact it's almost like a gender bent Maribelle which is....rather off-putting now that I put it like that. The difference in his design comes from the brown colours, the pink beret and the bronze shield. It works for him considering he's all about fashion but the Maribelle comparison make's it feel a bit less original now.

And now we move on to the shape shifting children, Selkie and Velouria. And what timing this is as it just so happens to be Selkie's birthday as well as mine. For this special occasion an extra picture shall be added:

post-22836-0-22214100-1476917697_thumb.png

#56 - Selkie

A cute little fox girl. She's another favourite of mine of the kids designs. Her red/white dress is simple but nice to the eyes and rocks the blonde hair and fox ears well. Her voice certainly stood out for me, being very squeaky and exited, which is appropriate for her character but was quite bizzare at first, It has grown on me over time. I do find it amusing to see her yelling "weeeeee" as she missle dives into the enemy.

#57 - Velouria

Another nice design, although there was something about her design, particularly her portrait in-game that was eerily similar to Nah. Her hair was almost similar in style (minus the braids), her long pointy ears are similar to the manakete ears, discluding her black pants her colour scheme was similar and even her voice seems similar. It also didn't help that I liked Nah with white hair so it made it hard to distinguish them. However when it comes to copy and paste designs this one doesn't come anywhere near the level of plagiarism that characters like Hayato and the clone kids achieve so it's a bit of a nitpicky thing for me. Apart from that it's a solid design and the red hood is cute.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Siegbert - not too bad. He does, however, have the same problem that Shigure does in that he does little more than just exist.

Foleo (dude looks like a lady) - I guess his design is not too bad. Of course, I would like to see this sort of character design for a more manly class, like fighter or pirate. It would create an interesting contrast.

Kinu (touch fluffy tail) - I suppose she looks cute, I guess.

Velour (Little Red Riding Hood) - (see above).

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was the other thread here that lists two characters from Fates and asks peoples' opinion of them.

Do voices count with regards to design?

Selkie's appearance is alright, but her voice is so unbelievably terrible.

Velouria, on the other hand, I absolutely love that outfit of hers. She looks really adorable, but her map sprite actually looks pretty badass.

Edited by Alastor15243

Next up, The magic slingers, Ophelia and Rhajat:

#58 - Ophelia

Same affair as Nyx, the battle bikini is silly and obvious pandering. But like Nyx I like her head's design. The long blonde hair is nice as is the headpiece and I noticed her face is similar to Lissa, which would make sense considering she's her grandmother. Her voice is cute and she delivers some amusing lines.

#59 - Rhajat

The first of the three clone characters. I'll put it out there, It really bothered me that they cut and pasted 3 Awakening characters into this game and claims them to be "original" characters because I ain't buying it. I look at Rhajat here and it's just Tharja, but with a Hoshidan twist. I do find Rhajat to be the better designed of the three because of this though, hell it's better than Tharja's design. The slick black/maroon colour scheme makes for a nice contrast in comparison to the more bright coloured one's Hoshido usually get's. But voice wise and hair wise she's just Tharja.

Ophelia is adorable and I generally like her character way better than her design, owing mainly to the unnecessarily pandering outfit lol. I'm not against fanservice on principle and nothing else, but it could be revealing and still more tasteful than it is. I think the outfit is actually worse on her than Nyx, because at least Nyx is an adult in SOME sense... pretty sure Ophelia hasn't quite hit age of consent yet.

Rhajat is like... the inverse situation lol. Lacking most of the charm that made me really like Tharja, but she's pretty (I love her face and all her expressions) and her outfit is nice (interesting enough to outweigh the skin shown IMO). On principle of design, she's one of my favorite characters, ripoff of Tharja or no.

Eh, fanservice doesn't bother me much at all as long as it also looks cool and as long as the character seems like the sort of person who would actually choose to wear it.

Neither of these really qualify for, like, any of the dark mages, though I think the male outfit looks better than the female one. The female one is just kinda weird, not sure why.

Rhajat's design is way better, even if I despise Tharja and anything resembling her with a fiery passion unfathomable by any measure.

Definitely prefer Ophelia, I liked her design quite a bit overall. Her lines were fairly amusing, as were her support conversations. Sadly my opinion of her is likely colored simply by how amazing of a unit she is, as well as how good her paralogue is.

Didn't like Tharja before, don't like her now either. Yandere has always been a crap trope in my opinion, her paralogue is boring, and her new appearance doesn't really evoke much for me. Loses points for being a clone, as well.

Next up the wooer of ladies and the calm samurai, Soliel and Hisame: (I had to post this in a hurry to go out somewhere so I won't post my opinions on these characters until tomorrow)

#58 - Soliel

I remember being rather off-put by her face the first time I saw her design as it looked very similar to her father's. It's not so much of a problem now though. Her mercenary design isn't much different from the others but she does rock it well. The colour scheme of black/gold is also nice on that outfit and I'm diggin her long' flowing pink hair. I also like that she has the same headband that Olivia had, I'd like to think that it's the same one that she wore that Inigo held onto as a memento to his deceased mother. She has a lot of enthusiasm in her voice which suits her personality along with some low key ones when she gets flustered that are quite cute.

#59 - Hisame

A blue variation of the samurai design, suitable for his calm attitude. I like his hairstyle, it's a nice contrast to his father's wild hair. It's a simple but nice design that does it's job.
Edited by Naturesshadow

Shiro

One of the best designs. It's a shame he is locked behind the marriage system, should've been a normal unit.

Kiragi

Too poofy like his dad, however he looks even weirder because of his short hair.

Seigbert

A very classic design like his dad. I like it a lot, he looks like he could be a lord from a past FE game.

Forrest

I love him as a character, but from a design standpoint he's nothing special to me.

Selkie

Another annoying looking child.

Velouria

The red riding hood is great. She looks too much like Nah.

Ophelia

While this outfit suits my headcanon gypsy fortune teller version of Nyx, I think something different would've been better for Ophelia, like a superhero based outfit.

Rhajat

Ignoring the fact that she's a Tharja clone, I like the design a lot.

Soleil

Solid design, the hair and headband are nice touches.

Hisame

So plain and dull.

Edited by Book Bro

Hisame is pretty plain, but I guess he's meant to be more of a foil to his dad in terms of like hair and face and whatnot.

Contrary to her character, Soleil is pretty good. Not much to be said for the oufit since it's just the Merc outfit, but her hairdo is cute, the Ophelia headband is a nice touch, and she has a good face (although they pretty much all do lol, with the possible exception of Corn and some others).