Has anybody here ever lost on casual?

Alastor15243

Battle saves are more than worth it IMO. Kinda wish it wasn't a casual-only thing.

Yeah, I sometimes forget about it, but it is a really nice thing. Valkyria Chronicles - which, for the uninitiated, also has perma-death - lets you save in battles, which is almost necessary for some maps if you don't want to lose your goddamn mind. It really should let you do it in Classic, especially for the long ass levels in Revelation (or the really difficult levels in Conquest), just in case you mess up and lose a unit. I don't like doing the same crap over again if it took an hour or so before. Goddamn Chapter 16 and 17 in Revelation...

Instead, we have to make our own Meta-Classic. Which I guess isn't too bad, but I'd rather it be an option or something.

Yeah, I sometimes forget about it, but it is a really nice thing. Valkyria Chronicles - which, for the uninitiated, also has perma-death - lets you save in battles, which is almost necessary for some maps if you don't want to lose your goddamn mind. It really should let you do it in Classic, especially for the long ass levels in Revelation (or the really difficult levels in Conquest), just in case you mess up and lose a unit. I don't like doing the same crap over again if it took an hour or so before. Goddamn Chapter 16 and 17 in Revelation...

Instead, we have to make our own Meta-Classic. Which I guess isn't too bad, but I'd rather it be an option or something.

But Valkyria Chronicles just has a really good system for that as well. You can still revive people by calling a medic when people are downed. It's not like Fire Emblem where "WHOOPS A CRITICAL AT 1% HAPPENED AND HIT YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HEALTH." The problem I have with FE Classic for the most part is that it still hasn't fixed this problem.

Battle saves are more than worth it IMO. Kinda wish it wasn't a casual-only thing.

Oh god, yes, especially during the final boss chapters and Revelation chapter 17 in which the game doesn't even let you save normally.

Casual mode may have possibly saved my life, actually, not because the lord can now die (I'm not a fan of this change myself), but because of the battle saves. Losing units I love in classic mode and forcing myself to restart for them has given me intense emotional breakdowns.

I'm not a fan of battle saves because it kinda kills the point of deaths in FE.

Like, when one of your characters die, you have to chose if you continue or you restart. Either you let him/her die, and then you lose a character that you probably trained, or may need later for any reason, for a children for example, or not. Or you restart, and you lose every progress you got on a chapter, it's really painful when you got quite lucky (with level-ups or you went far on a difficult chapter thanks to luck or skill but you're not sure you'd be able to do it again, etc.) and frustrating because you have to do it again.

@eggclipise

Yeah, I don't know how many people have to escape to trigger this, but I do know about half my army did... I remember I was terrified, b/c I was right near the exit when my last unit (Odin) was defeated...

Edited by wheelsonfire

But Valkyria Chronicles just has a really good system for that as well. You can still revive people by calling a medic when people are downed. It's not like Fire Emblem where "WHOOPS A CRITICAL AT 1% HAPPENED AND HIT YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HEALTH." The problem I have with FE Classic for the most part is that it still hasn't fixed this problem.

Yeah, I liked that you still have a chance to save 'em. IMO, original VC is too easy, but the battle saving (which I hardly utilized except for in DLC maps) and medic systems aren't responsible for that; it's the poor balancing between your troops and the enemy troops. A chum can run directly at a tank, flank it, and shoot its backside with a submachine gun once or twice and destroy it. The balance is totally broken in your favor. Though I got a mod for the PC version of the game that balances it, and I've definitely had to use battle saves with it.

Like, when one of your characters die, you have to chose if you continue or you restart. Either you let him/her die, and then you lose a character that you probably trained, or may need later for any reason, for a children for example, or not. Or you restart, and you lose every progress you got on a chapter, it's really painful when you got quite lucky (with level-ups or you went far on a difficult chapter thanks to luck or skill but you're not sure you'd be able to do it again, etc.) and frustrating because you have to do it again.

Perhaps, but at the same time, a lot of people despise Revelation because, more often than not, they'll be forced to redo 50+ turns because some asshole who just spawned in last second with an axe landed a 1% crit on an underleveled mage or healer who couldn't run away in time, or be put in a similar situation because of some minuscule BS. If they're gonna keep you from saving during a map on Classic, they shouldn't make the maps such a chore in the first place.

The other paths and most other FE's are okay because most of their maps don't take any more than 30 turns to complete unless you're hardcore grinding (that and they're more fun and don't give you an army of Ests), but Revelation can go suck a fat one in this regard.

Also, IS already killed the point of death in FE when they made it so that more than half the members of your army (the non-Corrin royals and all fathers) don't actually die when defeated in Fates and when they revived practically everyone who supposedly died in Awakening. For the former, sure, you still can't use 'em, but you'll still get their kids and they'll still be available for comments when need be as if they never even got hurt outside of plot wounds.

Battle saves preserved the RNG state (at least in Awakening, didn't really try to exploit this in Fates). Besides saving time, it also allows me to scramble moves in order to mess with the RNG. Still, it doesn't really make sense for it to be causal-only, since classic benefits more from it.

VC2 and VC3 removed that battle save abuse.

VC3 is more balanced with it, but damn some levels are frustrating compared to VC1.

Edited by shadowofchaos