Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rex Glacies

Ah, great, so it does fit into the timeline somewhere. That rules out the alternate dimension theory. I'm also starting to think it could fit somewhere in the child or downfall timelines. But that still doesn't explain why the Koroks are here.

I never liked voice acting and so no dual audio doesn't affect me.

So, how about the world? It's been a while, but I think I heard somewhere that the Great Plateau is only .2 percent of the entire world (or 2 percent. I sorta forget.). I've recently discovered my love for open-world adventure games, so this sounds awesome to me, provided it isn't rather empty like in Twilight Princess.

And with the map, there are approximately 14 different "providence," of Hyrule, so what do you think they will be? We know the Great Plateau, and I can guess there will be one for Hyrule Field, Death Mountain, Lost Woods, Gerudo Valley, Lake Hylia (and surrounding area), and Snowpeak (or equivalent). But that still leaves 7 more providences, and I have no idea what they would all be.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

No Dual Audio. Shit.

That was one thing I actually liked about FE13, was that it gave me the option for the Japanese dub.  I like Zelda's Japanese voice so much more than the English one.

I understand why it's not there, it's just disappointing.

... Damn. For once I wanted it (literally, first time), it's not there. The trailer was so much better, Zelda is not even crying in English! I know they probably chose that because she may be exhausted, but the despaired tone in Japanese was so much better. This vulnerability of Zelda, who's always so perfect really caught me. And Japanese is closer to Hylian (at least in my ears, I don't understand a word), or a least closer to the noises characters did until then than English that sounds weird in a Zelda. Same for others characters, Zelda's father's voice seems to young, etc.

But I don't understand why, if the audio is really on the cart (it is since you apparently can change it in the settings), the script to pick it is already there, so put in the settings instead of in a variable determined by the console's settings is probably easy to do. 

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

1 hour ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

... Damn. For once I wanted it (literally, first time), it's not there. The trailer was so much better, Zelda is not even crying in English! I know they probably chose that because she may be exhausted, but the despaired tone in Japanese was so much better. This vulnerability of Zelda, who's always so perfect really caught me. And Japanese is closer to Hylian (at least in my ears, I don't understand a word), or a least closer to the noises characters did until then than English that sounds weird in a Zelda. Same for others characters, Zelda's father's voice seems to young, etc.

But I don't understand why, if the audio is really on the cart (it is since you apparently can change it in the settings), the script to pick it is already there, so put in the settings instead of in a variable determined by the console's settings is probably easy to do. 

I assumed it was contracts with the VAs or something being in the way

Makes no difference to me, I never would use Japanese voices anyway.

On another note, did anyone else hear that this game will have an alternate ending? I'm going to play through it twice to see both endings! Zelda's never had this before as far as I know, so it's really interesting!

Usually I always pick English, but the way Zelda is not crying wastes the scene that must be a major moment in the story, so I was really hoping we could choose. Same for the Mojo Tree, Zelda's father and the Goron.

Yes it was confirmed by Anouma! The game seems pretty long, I won't get to see it immediately.

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, I remember hearing Zelda cry in the English dub. Maybe you're talking about a different scene?

Just before that, she says "All I have done until now... It was all for nothing" that is badly acted IMO, she doesn't sob, cries or anything and her tone is really bad. Then she slightly cries but I found that the scene had a much better impact in the Japanese trailer. I understand that it was maybe a choice from the team, making Zelda sound more "mature" and exhausted after all she's gone through, but I find that it kills the moment. Especially because I'd like a more human and less distant Zelda, and it was something that really stood out in the Japanese one because she seems more vulnerable than in the older games, but it's not caricatural and completely overacted like the Japanese voices in manga/anime (and I never could get into anime). And I found that the other voices better fit their characters too, especially the voice of the Mojo Tree and Zelda's father.

Our artwork on the box in Europe really sucks too by the way. Seems like Link got surprised by a paparazzi ...

I found Zelda's Japanese voice to be "anime girl #407805", especially the cry. That's not an argument for not having dual audio, of course, but I'm baffled by just how many seem to think that screaming louder equals more emotion.

I hate animes and I like her voice, I don't think it sounds like a standard one, and usually I'm the first to criticize these voices and pick English dub. It's not only a matter of crying louder, but it's what it draws, especially in the scene before we see her crying (we assist a scene of destruction and there's a guardian). I did not felt any tears or anything behind the english one. Even the few other voices I listened too in other languagues seemed better.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Makes no difference to me, I never would use Japanese voices anyway.

On another note, did anyone else hear that this game will have an alternate ending? I'm going to play through it twice to see both endings! Zelda's never had this before as far as I know, so it's really interesting!

Would Majora's Mask count since if you complete all the sidequests you get the "true" ending?

1 minute ago, DragonLord said:

Would Majora's Mask count since if you complete all the sidequests you get the "true" ending?

Uh, what? I've completed all the sidequests in the game before beating it and later finished it without doing so (because I don't like a lot of the sidequests and I don't even like most of the game in general) and the ending never changed.

Edited by Anacybele

32 minutes ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

I hate animes and I like her voice, I don't think it sounds like a standard one, and usually I'm the first to criticize these voices and pick English dub. It's not only a matter of crying louder, but it's what it draws, especially in the scene before we see her crying (we assist a scene of destruction and there's a guardian). I did not felt any tears or anything behind the english one. Even the few other voices I listened too in other languagues seemed better.

I guess it's a simple matter of taste. To me, Japanese Zelda doesn't really sound like a regular person, and her cry sounds more like she'd stand at the top of a mountain and shout, not collapse into someone's arms. 

This is no exact science, obviously, but to me it sounds forced and fake. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, what? I've completed all the sidequests in the game and later finished it without doing so (because I don't like a lot of the sidequests and I don't even like most of the game in general) and the ending never changed.

I just checked and the requirements are that you get all the masks in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhivoyveuJA

Aside from that, I can see why English Zelda's cry isn't as dramatic, more soft sobs than anything. She's a level headed princess, and Aonuma said not to take that scene out of context. The Japanese version seems waaay too over the top. It was kind of cringey.

Edited by DragonLord

2 minutes ago, DragonLord said:

I just checked and the requirements are that you get all the masks in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhivoyveuJA

Which I've done, and the ending did not change. I got all the masks because I wanted the Fierce Deity's Mask (which turned out to be quite useless in the end, unfortunately).

I remember now, the first time I beat the game I didn't get all the masks, because I gave up on the stupid Goron mini dungeon. Later I finally managed to do it, and I completed the game again. No change to the ending, just more masks disappearing, I believe.

Edited by Anacybele

Personally I like the Japanese crying being an outright bawl over the more subdued English crying due to Zelda's personality.  Zeldas are normally rather calm, seeing her break down so badly just adds to the general despair of the scene via the contrast.

Also, on alternate endings: there was a slight change to the ending in Spirit Tracks depending on what Link tells Zelda when she asks what he wants to do after they beat Malladus.  If Link answers with "engineer" there's a train whistle, if he says "warrior" there's clanging sword noises, and if he says "I don't know" or the cutscene is skipped then Zelda simply sits there and thinks about her journey with Link.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Which I've done, and the ending did not change. I got all the masks because I wanted the Fierce Deity's Mask (which turned out to be quite useless in the end, unfortunately).

I remember now, the first time I beat the game I didn't get all the masks, because I gave up on the stupid Goron mini dungeon. Later I finally managed to do it, and I completed the game again. No change to the ending.

It's not so much a completely different ending, I believe it's a slight difference in the credits for certain NPCs. You probably didn't notice because it's not substantial or anything. Regardless, I look forward to seeing the alternate ending in BotW.

That still doesn't change the general ending though.

I think what Aonuma is referring to is something more like what we see in FE7. The ending can actually change if Eliwood has an A support with Ninian. If he doesn't, Ninian leaves with Nils, but if she does, she stays with Eliwood and the ending itself is actually different.

Little dialogue differences, small sound effects, etc. don't count because they're not actually literally changing events in the ending.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

I guess it's a simple matter of taste. To me, Japanese Zelda doesn't really sound like a regular person, and her cry sounds more like she'd stand at the top of a mountain and shout, not collapse into someone's arms. 

This is no exact science, obviously, but to me it sounds forced and fake. 

She's despaired, but yes, this is how I felt it. Some of my friend agree, some others don't. That comes from the fact I never really loved Zelda as a character, she's too calm and almost always appears late-game, and I thought it would be a good idea to change her. I don't want her to date Link, just being less distant, you know, like compagnions, a bit like brother in arms or friends that went through a lot of ordeals together and share a real complicity. There's a scene like that in the trailer, we saw them waiting near a sort or cavern or house.

My issue is that we have no choice whereas it could be easily implemented. I'm not a expert developer, but I know some stuff about programmation (C and Mips mostly), and it could be easily implemented by using an array of adresses that "aim" to the good sound clip thanks to a setting. That must be like that for games in PAL anyway, but instead of a variable determined by the Switch settings, it could use a setting in the game settings. Or maybe the architecture of the switch prevents that, and then we're screwed.

7 minutes ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

My issue is that we have no choice whereas it could be easily implemented. I'm not a expert developer, but I know some stuff about programmation (C and Mips mostly), and it could be easily implemented by using an array of adresses that "aim" to the good sound clip thanks to a setting. That must be like that for games in PAL anyway, but instead of a variable determined by the Switch settings, it could use a setting in the game settings. Or maybe the architecture of the switch prevents that, and then we're screwed.

Haha, funny you say that. In the middle of doing some online exercises for my university System Tools programming course. Currently working on Allocating and Deallocating memory for pointers on the heap in C. Aside from that though, I doubt it's based on the architecture or anything. It could possibly be a licensing issue with the Japanese VAs that prevents the Japanese voice options from coming to other regions.

Edited by DragonLord

3 minutes ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

She's despaired, but yes, this is how I felt it. Some of my friend agree, some others don't.

Despaired and exhausted, which I think would favor a more muted approach like we see in the English version, but even if she had all the energy in the world, I don't think I've ever heard someone cry like that outside of babies. Again though, that's all up to interpretation.

As for the dual audio, there's zero chance it's a technical limitation. I know very little about such things, but I would assume it's a deal struck with the voice actors or somesuch.

That did not seem unnatural for me, I already heard persons crying like that. Depends on the persons and situations.

It's more the line before that that completely bugs me. It sounds so silly "it was all for nothing".

We used to have dual audio before. I want to support these "english" voice actors that usually do a great job, but sometimes I'd like to have the choice.

I prefer Zelda's English crying than her Japanese. She sounds more like she's in physical pain in Japanese than she is crying. :/ There's a difference between regular crying and crying in pain.

However, I think the Spanish (Latin) one did it even better than the English. I didn't listen to the rest, since I don't really care to.

Edited by Anacybele