It's probably too early to suggest this but

Aurabolt

Do you think we could see Fire Emblem games split between the 3DS and the Switch? I can imagine the Switch being used for massive games ala PoR and RD but the 3DS being used primarily for remakes, prequels and in some cases sequels of older games. Nintendo's gonna want to push the Switch HARD so I think the untitled FE will be a huge draw. What's not to say they won't continue to make FE titles for the 3DS?

Echoes is a remake of Gaiden. I think what we could see in 2019 or 2020 are new Fire Emblem games being released on the Switch but remakes, prequels and sequels to other Fire Emblem games being released on the 3DS. It could be a great way to expand the lore with certain games and still make new ones at the same time.

For example, Sacred Stones. Enough Lore exists to make a prequel that would cover the first war with Fomortiis and the founding of the kingdoms of Magvel. Likewise, we could see an Awakening/Fates crossover. I'll save my idea/headcannon for that for a separate thread in the Awakening board though.

Thoughts?

Isn't New Mystery of the Emblem just as long as Path of Radiance though? The only time I really think that pattern holds true is with Radiant Dawn, and even then it isn't really by that much.

I don't really think the 2018 will end up over 4 chapters longer than the annouced Gaiden game. The maps will likely be bigger, but that's a gaiden issue imo. I expect this game's maps to be smaller than awakening/fates, at least in the dungeon segments, the main story battles will probably be more generic. 

That is what I am thinking, as I have said a few times, Nintendo is supporting the 3ds, especially the new 3ds, through 2018. I can see the main Fire Emblem series being brought to the Switch, while the 3ds has a spin off series for the hand held until it is no longer supported, which is what I think Echoes is. 

I can see maybe some more Fates related releases too, maybe a prequel or a sequel. Then again, IS seems to be dropping almost everything related to Fates other than characters, considering there has been no word on dlc for Fates since last year. So probably not, but I wouldn't be extremely surprised by it either.

I don't have a problem with that.

I mean, I know a lot like to think the 3DS should just exit right now, but it's got a huge user base. Perhaps Nintendo would be wise to not abandon it so quickly. The Switch and 3DS may both be portable but I can see a place for both. It's not like both systems do the same thing despite both having portability. 

I mean, I am certainly not abandoning my 3DS anytime soon. I love it too much.

There wouldn't be anymore split after 2017. Switch is pretty much the successor to the 3DS and the announcement of the next FE mainline title on it pretty much a proof of it. 2017 will the last hurrah for the 3DS before Nintendo finally abandon it for the sake of Switch. The next Echoes game probably will used the mainline title new engine for the Switch and released on that platform without too much differences in level of presentation.

6 hours ago, Aurabolt said:

Do you think we could see Fire Emblem games split between the 3DS and the Switch? I can imagine the Switch being used for massive games ala PoR and RD but the 3DS being used primarily for remakes, prequels and in some cases sequels of older games. Nintendo's gonna want to push the Switch HARD so I think the untitled FE will be a huge draw. What's not to say they won't continue to make FE titles for the 3DS?

Echoes is a remake of Gaiden. I think what we could see in 2019 or 2020 are new Fire Emblem games being released on the Switch but remakes, prequels and sequels to other Fire Emblem games being released on the 3DS. It could be a great way to expand the lore with certain games and still make new ones at the same time.

For example, Sacred Stones. Enough Lore exists to make a prequel that would cover the first war with Fomortiis and the founding of the kingdoms of Magvel. Likewise, we could see an Awakening/Fates crossover. I'll save my idea/headcannon for that for a separate thread in the Awakening board though.

Thoughts?

More like there's not enough lore so they have the freedom to make a game set back then. Sacred Stones was frustratingly vague about what was going on hundreds of years ago. Course given Morva that might have been the point.

Edited by Jotari

I can only hope that main entries in the series are released on the Switch and the 3DS so fans can choose which platform they play these Fire Emblem titles on. This is what I would prefer personally. Nintendo have said that the Switch is not intended to replace the 3DS so I think this could still stand. Even if main entries alternated between both consoles, I would be okay with that; as long as the 3DS got main entries too, that would be fine because it would mean people would not miss out. Heck, maybe the New 3Ds could have main entries released on it, given that it has little in the way of exclusives as far as I know. I can see Nintendo maybe moving on to the New 3DS for Fire Emblem games in future in terms of handhelds.

Edited by phoenixmiko

6 hours ago, Shengar said:

There wouldn't be anymore split after 2017. Switch is pretty much the successor to the 3DS and the announcement of the next FE mainline title on it pretty much a proof of it. 2017 will the last hurrah for the 3DS before Nintendo finally abandon it for the sake of Switch. The next Echoes game probably will used the mainline title new engine for the Switch and released on that platform without too much differences in level of presentation.

You're wrong: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/switch-is-a-home-console-at-heart-not-a-3ds-replac/1100-6446967/

What's likely to happen instead is the New Nintendo 3DS, which was prettymuch pushed to the side since its launch will be getting alot of attention now. Nintendo is doing to do with the 3DS and N3DS what they did with the Game Boy and Game Boy Color: Release games that can only be played on the newer console but mostly release games that can be played on either.

8 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I don't have a problem with that.

I mean, I know a lot like to think the 3DS should just exit right now, but it's got a huge user base. Perhaps Nintendo would be wise to not abandon it so quickly. The Switch and 3DS may both be portable but I can see a place for both. It's not like both systems do the same thing despite both having portability. 

I mean, I am certainly not abandoning my 3DS anytime soon. I love it too much.

The Switch is a Home Console. The 3DS Family is a Portable Console. Nintendo announced the other day you can only play Breath of the Wild Undocked for 3 hours.

So, all this talk of the 3DS being replaced can stop now. LOL. See the above link for more direct from Nintendo of America. Seriously doubt Reggie wouldn't say the 3DS has a long future ahead of it if it wasn't actually true.

8 hours ago, Tolvir said:

That is what I am thinking, as I have said a few times, Nintendo is supporting the 3ds, especially the new 3ds, through 2018. I can see the main Fire Emblem series being brought to the Switch, while the 3ds has a spin off series for the hand held until it is no longer supported, which is what I think Echoes is. 

I can see maybe some more Fates related releases too, maybe a prequel or a sequel. Then again, IS seems to be dropping almost everything related to Fates other than characters, considering there has been no word on dlc for Fates since last year. So probably not, but I wouldn't be extremely surprised by it either.

I'm pretty sure there's no more DLC planned for Fates at this point. Feels like there were should be at least one more DLC Pack based on what's been datamined, though. We could see a crossover DLC map involving Echoes if we're lucky =O

6 hours ago, Shengar said:

Nintendo is supporting the 3DS through 2018, after that its fate is unknown. It still has 2 years of life or more. The 3DS has a very large user base, and the Switch is going to need some time to build up to that point. Just dropping 3ds support the minute the Switch releases would be one of the absolute worst decisions they could make. The PS3 lasted 2 years into the PS4s release before it got stopped. Same with the PS2. Older systems typically retain a bit of life going into a new console release until the new console has most of that user base.

Hell, the PS3 still gets new games from time to time, they still are porting over a lot of jrpgs that were Japan exclusive to the PS3 even 3-4 years into the PS4 being out. The Switch releasing doesnt mean the 3DS needs to be dropped on its head and stomped on for the Switch to make it anywhere.

EDIT: Yeah, unfortunately it looks like Fates is done. Which is unfortunate because there is still a lot of room for DLC much like Awakening's. I think the constant complaining the fans did about how bad Fates was really made IS drop it as fast as they could, even if it was before it was done.

Edited by Tolvir

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

. I think the constant complaining the fans did about how bad Fates was really made IS drop it as fast as they could, even if it was before it was done.

Pretty sure you're right, which is a shame since the door's been slammed shut on balancing patches more or less. I know it's not Nintendo's thing to patch games unless alot of people ask for it but there were a few areas I felt some patching could have helped extend Fates and Awakening's lifespans.

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

Nintendo is supporting the 3DS through 2018, after that its fate is unknown. It still has 2 years of life or more. The 3DS has a very large user base, and the Switch is going to need some time to build up to that point. Just dropping 3ds support the minute the Switch releases would be one of the absolute worst decisions they could make. The PS3 lasted 2 years into the PS4s release before it got stopped. Same with the PS2. Older systems typically retain a bit of life going into a new console release until the new console has most of that user base.

Hell, the PS3 still gets new games from time to time, they still are porting over a lot of jrpgs that were Japan exclusive to the PS3 even 3-4 years into the PS4 being out. The Switch releasing doesnt mean the 3DS needs to be dropped on its head and stomped on for the Switch to make it anywhere.

2018 being said is mainly PR babble to not make potential 3DS buyer wouldn't hold back their purchase due to the oncoming new console. Switch isn't released yet, and the last thing Nintendo wanted to happened is people jumping off the ship because they view 3DS as an already abandoned platform. 3DS is a last resort emergency exit for Nintendo in the case of Switch becoming a catastrophic failure, sustaining them until they can take any action to prevent themselves from bankruptcy. Perhaps there would be 3DS release in 2018, but it wouldn't be big titles game like FE Echoes or mainline Pokemon series. It would be niche game made by small developer that isn't ready with HD development yet.

The thing about Japanese is that it's currently undergoing a massive shrink. Japan population are known to have massively low birthrate, and with their overwork culture, the young adult just don't have enough time to play their game on console anymore (hence why mobile is so popular and FE Heroes try to take portion of the cake). On the subject of PS3 version being still released alongside a PS4 version, it's not take very long for the PS4 to massively outsold PS3 version despite the latter much bigger userbase. The PS3 was overstaying its welcome, and people are craving for new experience. PS3 version in the very late phase of its life is a pragmatic steps taken by developer and publisher as a failsafe measure for worst case scenario, nothing more.

1 hour ago, Aurabolt said:

You're wrong: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/switch-is-a-home-console-at-heart-not-a-3ds-replac/1100-6446967/

What's likely to happen instead is the New Nintendo 3DS, which was prettymuch pushed to the side since its launch will be getting alot of attention now. Nintendo is doing to do with the 3DS and N3DS what they did with the Game Boy and Game Boy Color: Release games that can only be played on the newer console but mostly release games that can be played on either.

It's a PR to sell Switch on the western audience. I bet $5 buck that they gonna say the totally different thing to the Japanese audience that Switch is first and foremost a handheld, and it just happened to have ability to connect to a TV.

I'm going to be real serious here. Switch is the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS. They combined their hardware line because each of them have main problem that complemented by the other strengths. The Wii U have abysmal 3rd party support, which have become one of the main reasons of its demise. Meawhile, 3DS was quite a success but compared to its predecessor, 3DS is pretty underwhelming (3DS sold 62 millions unit as of September 2016, the DS sold 150 millions in its lifetime. At this point, I'm even doubt it that 3DS is going to surpass PSP sales number at 82 millions).  This happened because the handheld market is being siphoned by mobile phone as playing game on the go doesn't require a peripheral on its own anymore. As such, 3DS and its successor have looming problem ahead of them on the shrinking market. Nintendo couldn't go handheld exclusive because that wouldn't only limiting the creative capability of their first grade 1st party studio, but it's going to kill them in the long run.

They need the Switch to be marketed as a console because that's the only way to sold it to western audience where handheld since the time of GameBoy never taken seriously as a gaming platform. But its design completely shows otherwise. If it's a home console, then why the hell Switch docking mode would only serve as a connector to the TV and charging (alternate link)? If it's truly a home console, shouldn't docking mode give more extra power to the Switch that it would make the portable feels like a secondary experience? The thing is that was not the case as Nintendo themselves have emphasized over and over again that switching from portable to TV mode and vice versa will be seamless with none of your experience compromised. They showing the ability for you play on the go much bigger than you able to dock shows how much the Switch is a handheld device. If it's truly a console, then Nintendo would have made the docking ability more relevant than its portability.

And no, the N3DS wouldn't prolonged the 3DS life line longer than it should. N3DS was released back in the 2014 and how many N3DS exclusive have we got so far? Only thr, with one still in development as we speak. That is not something you would do if you're going to make a revision version of your hardware to completely replaced your old one. Nintendo clearly try to sell it as an upgrade, not replacement in the way it would upgrade the perfomance of some 3DS games like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Majora's Mask, and FE Fates. But it's clearly not enough to make people replace their old 3DS as no further games after them take the advantage of the increased N3DS power as Monster Hunter Generation doesn't even bother to have a better performance on it and its revision title is still a 3DS title. 

I'm happy that older FE games going to have serious remake. But I'm baffled with the notion that the 3DS, a handheld that released five years ago will be actively supported by Nintendo and IS to the 2020 with Echoes title. That only means the Echoes title will always be the inferior game than the Switch main title, and it's further imply that the remake is a secondary thing for IS. No, I don't want Echoes title to be severely limited by 3DS absolutely awful hardware capabilities.

You must have seen Echoes artwork that being done by Hidari right? It's beautiful, but it's clear that the 3DS doesn't have the capability to put her beautiful design outside the sprites. Hold on a minute though, do you know that she also done a series of games called Atelier Dusk Trilogy? All of the three games are released on the PS Vita and it's able to make the design to life with its completely detailed 3D model. The Switch is much stronger than the Vita, and I want that Hidari drawn Sigurd come to life with all of the detail remains, not compromised into low resolution texture on a outdated hardware.

Nintendo made it clear the Switch is a Home Console. This has been said to death. that can be played on the go. They were very clear in saying it's NOT a portable AND the 3DS/N3DS will continue to be supported. The Switch won't be a handheld any more than the Wii U was. Nintendo purposely said they will continue to support the 3DS Family Consoles not for PR but BECAUSE it's the stronger market. Think about it: If they wanted to phase out the 3DS, that's basically giving up on the New 3DS too. They certainly wouldn't have done a dual release of Fire Emblem Warriors, which is sure to drum up sales for the New 3DS alone.

....You're clearly trying to argue fact with your opinion here. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree at this point.