OMG, Why in the hell are they all alive??? *INSAAAAAAANE SPOILERS!!!!*

DarkWind

Could someone explain to me why in the fucking hell in the Paralouges that all my freaking enemies that i've worked so damn hard to fucking kill are suddenly just "alive" for no damn reason?  Oh my God, could you completely render a characters heart crushing tale of sacrifice and horror completely mute by making Emmeryn fucking alive! What the hell is going on??? There is no fucking way Emm survived that fall, let alone the other prick bosses.

WHAT THE FUCK!??? This totally kills all the motivation and drive I had to finish this game, and for being my first Fire Emblem, I am NOT happy about this direction!

Edited by DarkWind

It's implied all the Spotpass paralogues are not canon...

Furthermore, Emm's sacrifice was not made moot by her paralogue... If anything, the outcome when she's alive is worse because she can't speak that well, may or may not have regressed mentally, and will never remember her siblings or her people, her child (if she gets married over the course of the game), and never return to her homeland ever again (as is revealed in her ending). It's made even sadder that if she dies in Classic Mode, she remembers her everything, but it's too late to do anything about it...

Gangrel's fate is pretty bad too... He's alive, but his country is in ruins and has lost everything... Not to mention his ending states he died anyway...

As for Walhart, it heavily implied that he's not completely alive when his paralouge is accessed, which is why he's able to command Risen when he couldn't before.

The Yen'fey you recruit is not the same one that you fight in the game. This one is a broken shell, not accepting the deal with Walhart, and having his sister (your version of which has to be alive in your party to trigger is his recruitment, by the way) killed. He joins your party having nowhere else to go, and trying to ensure something else doesn't happen to her...

It's unknown how Aversa survived, but her fate is not all that great. She finds out she was manipulated and brainwashed by the main bad guy, but he's already dead, so she can't even take revenge. She hopes to atone, but realizes that the only way to do so at this point is by going forth in the charge against Grima...

Really, all the paralouges (other than Parim's) are quite sad... I think it's meant to answer the question "what if x survived?" But they show that that might not be the best thing...

If you're wondering about other Fire Emblems having problems with the secret characters, they don't. Most of the characters are not recruited in the chapter, instead being recruited after beating the main game a certain amount of times or, in the case of Sacred Stones, beating some of the extra maps a few times or up to a certain point. And there's no chapter or storyline behind the secret characters appearing. In Sacred Stones, there's a notification that they are added to your party, but other games don't even have that.

Secret characters are also only available in Binding Blade, Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Heroes of Light and Shadow, and Awakening.

Yeah, in terms of the story, it's dumb. Luckily for you though, the Spotpass paralogues are even more optional than regular paralogues, seeing as you have to add them to the map yourself.  I assume they were added as an option for those who want a "golden ending".

Long story short, don't add the Spotpass paralogues, and those characters will stay dead.

26 minutes ago, DarkWind said:

Oh my God, could you completely render a characters heart crushing tale of sacrifice and horror completely mute by making Emmeryn fucking alive!

How does it? You find Emmeryn alive after the two year timeskip that follows Gangrel's defeat, at a point where her "sacrifice" is no longer relevant to the story.

12 minutes ago, wheelsonfire said:

It's implied all the Spotpass paralogues are not canon...

By who, exactly? IS certainly hasn't said anything to imply that they aren't canon.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

They haven't, but it's hard to imagine that those chapters are canon... Gangrel was explicitly killed, and so was Aversa... And then there's the fact that you can't even get them through normal gameplay... So the general consensus is that they aren't canon, even if IS has he said anything...

Did any FE9 player ever complain about a unit like Ashnard among others suddenly joining the endgame team alive and well after beating it several times? I seriously doubt it.

Recruiting dead characters from the main story has been a thing since the trial maps in The Binding Blade and Path of Radiance, and the Creature Campaign in The Sacred Stones. The only difference here is that Awakening tries to give some little story reason for them being there. It hardly matters since most if not everyone beat the endgame before recruiting these characters, which leaves them as simply extras like in the previously mentioned games. Besides, technically they're not part of the base game unless you consider Spotpass data to be such.

So kindly calm the hell down. Turn of Spotpass for the game and don't summon the bonus maps, so it's like it never happened.

7 hours ago, wheelsonfire said:

They haven't, but it's hard to imagine that those chapters are canon... Gangrel was explicitly killed, and so was Aversa... And then there's the fact that you can't even get them through normal gameplay... So the general consensus is that they aren't canon, even if IS has he said anything...

I have to disagree with both of your points here. We see Gangrel and Aversa fall in battle, so we assume they're both dead, but nobody actually kill confirms in the following scenes. In the main game Basilio was able to take a crit to the face from Walhart while wounded and still be healthy enough to play dead and come back later in the story. There's no reason to believe that Gangrel and Aversa were any more "dead" after their fight with the Shepherds than Basilio was after his fight with Walhart. A lot of people are irked that we're never given a reason for the survival of these characters, and that's fair enough, but these guys surviving never struck me as impossible or story breaking.

In regards to your second point, I'm not totally sure I understand why chapters being DLC makes them any less likely to be canon by default. There are tons of games that use DLC to expand upon the story of the main game so you're gonna have to explain the problem to me.

8 hours ago, wheelsonfire said:

Knowing what happens in the parallels though, can even be considered a golden ending? If anything, it's an earn your bad ending, considering having those characters survive doesn't improve their lives in any way...

I will admit that many of the character's endings are really bittersweet if not outright depressing, but if you like one of them enough you can easily win them an unambiguously happy ending by S-supporting them, since this will overwrite their default ending anyway.

Think Gangrel is a well-intentioned extremist who doesn't deserve to die for his mistakes? S-support him and save Plegia together.

Think Aversa is a victim whose main crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time? S-support her and give her the love she's always wanted. (#Puffpuff)

So yeah, I consider the spotpass chapters to be 100% canon personally. I like what they offer and am glad they exist. But all of this being said...if you think characters that you thought were dead coming back is a logical leap or you simply want them to stay dead, it really is as easy as just never playing the chapters. It's like how I pretend a certain second gen girl never existed by not playing her recruitment chapter...

I think I figured out how Emmeryn survived:

Plegian Soldier 1: For the last time, we did not order a giant trampoline!

Plegian Soldier 2: You could have told me that before i set it up.

*Emmeryn falls and bounces off the trampoline, hitting her head on a rock.*

Yeah, this is why we harshly claim "Nobody dies in Fire Emblem". Though to be fair it's not the first fake out death for a major character in this series. A certain ice dragon comes to mind. And there's Creature Campaign in Sacred Stones. And Him from Radiant Dawn. Probably more I'm not thinking of. Explanations are typically given for these revivals, but never satisfying ones.

Personally what I find more baffling than their survival is the fact that Chrom randomly decided to go a tour of two continents to recruit them all while Grima just sat there not destroying the world in the meantime.

the spotpass characters all feel like trial map units, like shiharam or ashnard in path of radiance. like "what if these characters who die in their story roles would be like as playable units." can't really take them seriously as part of the narrative. 

only priam doesn't have a story role of going away so he fits in my head canon, but of course hes intended to be more fan service than as part of the story (fan service I'll gladly take!).

7 hours ago, Not_The_NSA said:

But hey, you can bang amnesiac Emmeryn now (I know people who have and made me cringe when they married their Avatar to her) while Chrom, Lissa, and Frederick have no support with her.

That's funny, because by that logic Robin shouldn't bang anyone.

Also, who's to say she won't get better? The supports with Male Robin clearly show her being able to focus her thoughts more and more, and despite her old memories not returning, the new ones are sticking. Her personality is the same, and she wants to love and be loved.

There are people in real life with special needs (or whatever that correct term is), but they still live a normal life (obviously it's a case by case scenario).

This is a far cry from taking advantage of someone brain-dead, or someone who can't make decisions for themselves (a certain templar "took advantage" of Tranquil, who feel no emotion and all that entails, in Dragon Age II)

5 hours ago, Not_The_NSA said:

What are you even talking about? I simply stated you can bang Emm (and the rest of the villains) while she has no support with the rest of the cast, even her two siblings. I skimmed your three paragraphs and you sound triggered over a fact.

Also, when you start off your post with "that's funny, because by that logic..." when there was only a fact and no conducted reasoning makes you look silly.

I wasn't triggered over anything, I simply had a different opinion that I wanted to share or even debate. If anything is going to trigger me, it's someone replying after skimming over something that I took time to write for a specific individual, which in this case is you.

When you use the words amnesiac and cringe specifically for if Robin marries Emmeryn, one would assume that your opinion of the matter is one of distaste. Perhaps I should have removed the part of your quote involving Lissa, Chrom and Frederick (on that matter, it's a huge shame they don't have supports with Emmeryn, I agree) to have made my reply more clear.

The "that's funny" line was half a joke, half a I'm-trying-to-point-out-a-double-standard, because Robin has amnesia, just as bad as Emmeryn does. Perhaps it was too hostile to phrase it that way, so for that I am sorry.

• 2 years later...

I do kind of agree with you. Maybe it has something to do with her being saved by gods or Naga or something idk. Or it could have been some sort of Miracle. Some people do survive falls like that.

Or its just bullsh*t. 😕

Edited by SilverFox15