+spd or +atk Hector is the current meta?

Ewwgene

So i have seen a few threads in gamefaq talking about how +spd Hector could help with avoiding getting doubled while gamepress would recommend +atk -spd as spd is already very low in hector so it is a useless stat to him.

Is -res a good bane? 

I like to know your opinion. If you say it depends on my playstyle, then my playstyle would be like this. Hector is my current only atker with Ninian and a healer as supporter and a Blue Tome killing all the red.

Edited by Ewwgene

This probably could have been asked in the 'I just want to know 1 thing' thread.

But uh, I think it depends. -Speed could be good if given Wary Fighter, but given Armads' effect I think that could be kind of a waste. I assume the possibilities here are Atk+/Spd- VS Spd+/Res-? 

3 minutes ago, Ewwgene said:

So i have seen a few threads in gamefaq talking about how +spd Hector could help with avoiding getting doubled while gamepress would recommend +atk -spd as spd is already very low in hector so it is a useless stat to him.

Is -res a good bane?

Both have their advantages.

+spd Hector can naturally double a surprising number of units, including some Chroms, Seliphs, and other mid/slow spd units.

+att Hector does even more damage than he already does naturally (which is a ton), but doesn't really open him up to any one shots he doesn't already have. Lilina, Linde, Tharja, etc, all die in one hit, meaning they can't kill him anyway. It also doesn't let him kill anything he couldn't otherwise.

I have a +res Hector, which proved amazing on F.Robin GHB, as he could effectively tank all five enemy units and survive (though with 2 hp, lol),

but generally +res Hector doesn't add a ton. Tiki still kills him anyway, and he can still kill Lilina and Tharja without it.

+spd on Hector has a slight #'s advantage in that the difference between spd neutral and spd+ is 4 stats instead of 3 (whereas atk neutral vs. atk+ is 3 stats).

If you're planning on taking advantage of Armads (thus forgoing the standard wary fighter build for armored units), the spd+ stat can be very useful in protecting against certain mages, e.g. Lilina, Julia, etc. who have mediocre ~30 speed by giving Hector 28 and preventing him from being 1 shot by these mages. However, it doesn't provide any benefit against other threats against Hector, e.g. red melee units [most of which have >35 spd] and fast mages a la Tharja/Nino, and in these cases +atk would be strictly better.

Either way, Hector is a strong unit, just the situations in which he excels changes slightly depending on whether or not you have +spd.

Just now, BANRYU said:

This probably could have been asked in the 'I just want to know 1 thing' thread.

But uh, I think it depends. -Speed could be good if given Wary Fighter, but given Armads' effect I think that could be kind of a waste. I assume the possibilities here are Atk+/Spd- VS Spd+/Res-? 

Ops sorry, my bad.

Yep that's pretty much my question

2 minutes ago, ZXApocrypha said:

+spd on Hector has a slight #'s advantage in that the difference between spd neutral and spd+ is 4 stats instead of 3 (whereas atk neutral vs. atk+ is 3 stats).

If you're planning on taking advantage of Armads (thus forgoing the standard wary fighter build for armored units), the spd+ stat can be very useful in protecting against certain mages, e.g. Lilina, Julia, etc. who have mediocre ~30 speed by giving Hector 28 and preventing him from being 1 shot by these mages. However, it doesn't provide any benefit against other threats against Hector, e.g. red melee units [most of which have >35 spd] and fast mages a la Tharja/Nino, and in these cases +atk would be strictly better.

Either way, Hector is a strong unit, just the situations in which he excels changes slightly depending on whether or not you have +spd.

3 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Both have their advantages.

+spd Hector can naturally double a surprising number of units, including some Chroms, Seliphs, and other mid/slow spd units.

+att Hector does even more damage than he already does naturally (which is a ton), but doesn't really open him up to any one shots he doesn't already have. Lilina, Linde, Tharja, etc, all die in one hit, meaning they can't kill him anyway. It also doesn't let him kill anything he couldn't otherwise.

I have a +res Hector, which proved amazing on F.Robin GHB, as he could effectively tank all five enemy units and survive (though with 2 hp, lol),

but generally +res Hector doesn't add a ton. Tiki still kills him anyway, and he can still kill Lilina and Tharja without it.

Thanks Guys for the clarifying! :D

So basically,

+spd will allow me to avoid getting doubled and one shot by several units while +atk would be able to deal more dmg but unable to OHKO any units that +spd  is unable to.

Last question before i close this thread. 

For the bane, -res would be recommended because hector will get OHKO or 2HKO by almost any mage anyway right?

1 hour ago, Ewwgene said:

Ops sorry, my bad.

Yep that's pretty much my question

Thanks Guys for the clarifying! :D

So basically,

+spd will allow me to avoid getting doubled and one shot by several units while +atk would be able to deal more dmg but unable to OHKO any units that +spd  is unable to.

Last question before i close this thread. 

For the bane, -res would be recommended because hector will get OHKO or 2HKO by almost any mage anyway right?

There is no mage in the game that can OHKO or 2HKO a Hector at full HP right now.

Actually, to be more specific, no mage can OHKO hector, and no mage that can 2HKO hector can survive his counter attack.

Now, this doesn't take into account external buffs/debuffs, inherited skills, or activated abilities (such as Dragon Fang)

-Res also does not make a difference when it comes to fighting dragons. Tiki still slaughters him, Nowi and Ninian do almost no damage, and Fae does very little damage.

Edited by dragonlordsd

31 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

There is no mage in the game that can OHKO or 2HKO a Hector at full HP right now.

Actually, to be more specific, no mage can OHKO hector, and no mage that can 2HKO hector can survive his counter attack.

Now, this doesn't take into account external buffs/debuffs, inherited skills, or activated abilities (such as Dragon Fang)

-Res also does not make a difference when it comes to fighting dragons. Tiki still slaughters him, Nowi and Ninian do almost no damage, and Fae does very little damage.

Pretty sure a Neutral/ATK+ Sanaki w/ Triangle Adapt can OHKO a Neutral Hector.

1 hour ago, ExpendableExtra said:

Pretty sure a Neutral/ATK+ Sanaki w/ Triangle Adapt can OHKO a Neutral Hector.

Lol, forgot she had that. I've never seen one in the arena, so I had no idea. And, again, mine is +res, so I didn't notice.

Ok, I'll add the disclaimer: Of the units of which I'm aware.

Edited by dragonlordsd

1 hour ago, dragonlordsd said:

Lol, forgot she had that. I've never seen one in the arena, so I had no idea. And, again, mine is +res, so I didn't notice.

Ok, I'll add the disclaimer: Of the units of which I'm aware.

Tharja can actually survive a full round against Hector, assuming all neutral Boon/Banes. Yes, not even the second Armads hit will kill her. Her double attack will always kill Hector though, and if you run Sharena + Azura (a common team to go with Tharja), she just one-shots him completely.

36 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Tharja can actually survive a full round against Hector, assuming all neutral Boon/Banes. Yes, not even the second Armads hit will kill her. Her double attack will always kill Hector though, and if you run Sharena + Azura (a common team to go with Tharja), she just one-shots him completely.

She can't one shot him, even with the Sharena + Azura, he still survives the first hit.

y = 48

x = (y+(4*2))

((x+(x*.2))-19= 48

Hector's HP is 52. Assuming I did the math right.

But you're right, he only returns 38 damage (assuming no buffs and all neutrals), and her neutral hp is 39.

Of course, much of this is academic now, with the whole trading skills around.

Edited by dragonlordsd

14 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

She can't one shot him, even with the Sharena + Azura, he still survives the first hit.

y = 48

x = (y+(4*2))

((x+(x*.2))-19= 48

Hector's HP is 52. Assuming I did the math right.

But you're right, he only returns 38 damage (assuming no buffs and all neutrals), and her neutral hp is 39.

Of course, much of this is academic now, with the whole trading skills around.

With Sharena and Azura, Tharja gets +4 Attack, +4 Def and +4 Res.

Neutral Tharja has 45 Atk at 5* Lv 40. Her tome gains 4x3 = 12 Might, and the +4 Atk also buffs the stat itself, effectively giving her +16 Atk for 61.

Neutral Hector has 52 HP, 19 Res.

61 x 1.2 = 73
73 - 19 = 54

Dead.

Also, damage is always rounded down iirc, so one hit from Hector only does 18 instead of 19.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Also, damage is always rounded down iirc, so one hit from Hector only does 18 instead of 19.

Modifiers to damage are always rounded down. If the modifier is negative such as with weapon triangle disadvantage, the resulting damage is rounded up.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Modifiers to damage are always rounded down. If the modifier is negative such as with weapon triangle disadvantage, the resulting damage is rounded up.

Hm, okay. So it is 19.

As others mentioned + or - attack almost never changes the outcome of a hector encounter because his attack is so high to begin with.  There are a few melee red matchups where  the extra attack can make a difference but they're extremely situational and just generally shouldn't be occurring in the arena.  Though arguments could be made for +Att, vantage Hector being very Juicy.  

As folks mentioned + spd can change a few encounters with doubling.

Personally I think + def, + res or +hp are probably some of the strongest options on Hector.  Each can cause you to survive or win unfavorable fights or come out of favorable fights more cleanly.  This is especially true if you go with a renewal/sol/noontime build where hector could last rather long in the arena taking hits and healing up.

15 hours ago, Ewwgene said:

Is -res a good bane? 

I like to know your opinion. If you say it depends on my playstyle, then my playstyle would be like this. Hector is my current only atker with Ninian and a healer as supporter and a Blue Tome killing all the red.

You have the numbers available.  The FE Heroes wiki has the damage formulas available.  Rather than asking around, take the time to do some manual calculations. And yes, this belongs in the "Ask a FE Heroes question" thread.  Which is why I'm locking it. . .

58 minutes ago, Katrisa said:

As others mentioned + or - attack almost never changes the outcome of a hector encounter because his attack is so high to begin with.  There are a few melee red matchups where  the extra attack can make a difference but they're extremely situational and just generally shouldn't be occurring in the arena.  Though arguments could be made for +Att, vantage Hector being very Juicy.  

As folks mentioned + spd can change a few encounters with doubling.

Personally I think + def, + res or +hp are probably some of the strongest options on Hector.  Each can cause you to survive or win unfavorable fights or come out of favorable fights more cleanly.  This is especially true if you go with a renewal/sol/noontime build where hector could last rather long in the arena taking hits and healing up.

. . .because this is about right.  The +Spd is fairly negligible, since mostly everything that Hector wants to avoid will double him anyway (with the notable exception being non +Spd Young Tiki).