Corrin's Lifespan

Wind Sage

Corrin's Lifespan  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you believe Corrin's lifespan is?

• Thousands of Years
    • Length of a Normal Human
    • Few Hundred Years

I feel as though this question has been asked before, but I never found a definitely answer. Will Corrin out live everyone? 

Corrin being the child of a first dragon should have a longer lifespan right? I mean Anankos has been alive for thousands of years, even if Corrin doesn't live as long as Anankos Corrin's lifespan should be much longer than a normal human.

Edited by Wind Sage

The half dragons we've seen in the past (Sophia, Ninian, Nils, and Nah) can apparently live a very long time, so under the assumption Fateslandia runs under similar rules to Elibe and Archanea I assume so.

The writers seem to have forgotten that Corrin was a manakete after Chapter 6 or so, so they'd probably just make him/her have a regular lifespan.

Conversely, if Kana is canon, Corrin will tragically die for some reason by the time Kana is 17, give or take a few years.  Parents have a lifespan that is often all too short.

11 hours ago, Rezzy said:

The writers seem to have forgotten that Corrin was a manakete after Chapter 6 or so, so they'd probably just make him/her have a regular lifespan.

Conversely, if Kana is canon, Corrin will tragically die for some reason by the time Kana is 17, give or take a few years.  Parents have a lifespan that is often all too short.

Kanna will then go on a super cliche adventure or something like that.

There's no indication that Corrin or Kana have aged abnormally (Manaketes seem to stop aging normally when they're still young, and Corrin appears to be in their late teens at youngest), so either:

• Half-human offspring of the First Dragons operate differently from other half-Manaketes and just have a normal human lifespan.
  • Whether or not a child inherits their dragon parent's lifespan is random or dependent on dominant/recessive genes.
  • Children inherit the lifespan of their mother (Sophia, Ninian, Nils, and Nah all have Manakete mothers, while Mikoto is human so Corrin inherits her lifespan). Maybe longevity is all in the mitochondria?

34 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

There's no indication that Corrin or Kana have aged abnormally (Manaketes seem to stop aging normally when they're still young, and Corrin appears to be in their late teens at youngest), so either:

• Half-human offspring of the First Dragons operate differently from other half-Manaketes and just have a normal human lifespan.
  • Whether or not a child inherits their dragon parent's lifespan is random or dependent on dominant/recessive genes.
  • Children inherit the lifespan of their mother (Sophia, Ninian, Nils, and Nah all have Manakete mothers, while Mikoto is human so Corrin inherits her lifespan). Maybe longevity is all in the mitochondria?

Is it ever established that Mikoto isn't a Manakete too?  For all we know, she could be.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is it ever established that Mikoto isn't a Manakete too?  For all we know, she could be.

She definitely has dragon blood, but I don't think she can transform. She doesn't have the pointed ears and purple eyes that Corrin has.

59 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

She has dragon blood, being a member of the Vallite royal family and being able to use Dragon Veins, but she doesn't have any draconic characteristics (pointed ears, slit pupils, turning into a dragon) like Corrin does so probably not (and if she was, the game probably would've said so or implied it in some way). If you use the "for all we know she could be" argument, you could potentially rationalize that most Fire Emblem characters are actually Manaketes.

Edited by Lightchao42

10 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

She has dragon blood, being a member of the Vallite royal family and being able to use Dragon Veins, but she doesn't have any draconic characteristics (pointed ears, slit pupils, turning into a dragon) like Corrin does so probably not (and if she was, the game probably would've said so or implied it in some way). If you use the "for all we know she could be" argument, you could potentially rationalize that most Fire Emblem characters are actually Manaketes.

Normally absence of evidence would be good, but Fates is particularly bad about never explaining or expanded on things, so I never give it the benefit of the doubt.

I just assume that for whatever reason:

• in the Fates universe (in the canon case where it's treated as separate from Akaneia/Elisbe/Tellius anyway), or
  • for the breed of manaketes originating from Fates (in my headcanon case (such as my current LP) where Ylisse and Fates-continent exist together on the same planet), 

...An exception to the rules is set from the normal FE proceadures, where Manaketes there have the same aging pace as normal humans. I mean, otherwise I can't really find a way to explain Corrin's age difference with his siblings.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 01/05/2017 at 4:19 AM, Lightchao42 said:

Is Mikoto a member of the Vallite royal family by birth, though? I thought it was Azura's father (otherwise Anankos's killing him wouldn't have put him in a position to usurp the throne, since the queen regnant was still alive). But yeah, Mikoto has no Manakete characteristics, so. And even if she did, Corrin ages faster than most other half-Manaketes; maybe they're going to turn out more like Roy?

20 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Nowhere is it ever said that Corrin will live significantly longer so I'm going to assume he just doesn't. 

This is my assumption, too.

Although in general nothing is ever really said about Corrin's dragon abilities...

21 minutes ago, Res said:

This is my assumption, too.

Although in general nothing is ever really said about Corrin's dragon abilities...

Almost nothing. Hanz does tell Corrin his dragon abilities make him a freak though a character like him being the only one to adress the issue just highlights how little importance it has. 

On 5/3/2017 at 0:24 PM, Mori-no-Majou said:

Is Mikoto a member of the Vallite royal family by birth, though? I thought it was Azura's father (otherwise Anankos's killing him wouldn't have put him in a position to usurp the throne, since the queen regnant was still alive).

Actually, the game does say that Mikoto is Vallite royalty:

Spoiler

590b8b12829cb_FatesStuff.jpg.c760d89cd710e9c24b7f09719512c43b.jpg

But even disregarding that for the sake of argument, Mikoto can use Dragon Veins so she was most likely born into royalty. She also says that Arete is her sister after explaining that Corrin is Vallite royalty, but she wouldn't have any reason to do that if those facts weren't related. Cipher calls Arete a "Princess of Valla", so by extension Mikoto should be one too.

If Azura's father was born into royalty he would have been able to sing for Anankos to suppress his power, and if that was the case he probably wouldn't be killed and the plot would never happen.

(And I don't think that "killing the proper ruler" is important when you're an insane dragon god that can just kill everyone, and otherwise Anankos wouldn't be able to consider himself king unless he killed Azura too.)

On 5/3/2017 at 0:52 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Nowhere is it ever said that Corrin will live significantly longer so I'm going to assume he just doesn't. Its a different continent and Anankos is a different dragon. Different aspects, different rules. 

I'm afraid I have to disagree, It does say that Kana would live a long time doesn't that mean Corrin will as well since Kana is only 1/4 dragon and Corrin is 1/2 dragon. Also how is Anankos a different dragon than corrin, there design is similar I would say Anankos looks different because he has degraded and Corrin hasn't.

Kana - Dragon Spawn (竜の御子 Ryū no Miko lit. Child of Dragons)

Generations on, people would call him the dragon god incarnate and tell stories of how the divine Kana would transform into a dragon to save people. But really he was just a boy who loved his mother.

"Generations on," can mean "generations of people after Kana was long dead".

Corrin's dragon aspect was shoehorned in, thus Corrin's lifespan is likely normal.

I did like Manakete powers in gameplay, though it would have been better with a ranged attack. Or, they could have gone the Laguz route/FE3 Manakete and instituted a transformation gauge/turncount.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 8:44 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Roy CAN have 1/4 dragon blood but he looks about 15 at the beginning of the game. So, unless the ship is non canon there has to be another factor than just the mother.

I'm going to agree with others and say that if the plot wanted him to have a longer lifespan, they would have brought it up. I mean, that's a pretty big thing, to outlive your spouse and every member of your family besides (or even including) your child.

3 hours ago, ThatOneWeakArcher said:

Roy CAN have 1/4 dragon blood but he looks about 15 at the beginning of the game. So, unless the ship is non canon there has to be another factor than just the mother.

I don't think that Roy's mother was intended to be part dragon when The Binding Blade was created but, that aside, its possible that heritage from the mother only matters for half dragons and quarter dragons (being mostly human) age relatively normally regardless of parentage.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:32 PM, ThatOneWeakArcher said:

Nah, who is 1/2 dragon, seemed to age at the rate of a normal human and physically looked the same age as Nowi

15 hours ago, Midnight Torch said:

Nah, who is 1/2 dragon, seemed to age at the rate of a normal human and physically looked the same age as Nowi

Nah does actually age slowly, she's about the same age as the other kids but still looks like a child. Compare to Morgan who is probably the youngest of the kids, and is at least the youngest-looking, aside from her but still looks older than her.

Anyway, Kamui ages like a normal person, because if she was truly aging like a Manakete she'd look about ten years younger. Plus you'd think they'd point that out at some point if it was the intention. (Well, ignoring that the writers forgot that Kamui was half-dragon, so we probably wouldn't have gotten confirmation either way regardless.)

"It is not your time to die, Avatar! Not for another 72 years and 19 days..."

-Azama in Birthright.

I don't know how accurate Azama is but if he is correct, Corrin will die within his/her 90s. Seems to be fairly long but reminiscent of a normal human's lifespan.

4 minutes ago, Fryer said:

"It is not your time to die, Avatar! Not for another 72 years and 19 days..."

-Azama in Birthright.

I don't know how accurate Azama is but if he is correct, Corrin will die within his/her 90s. Seems to be fairly long but reminiscent of a normal human's lifespan.

If our Lord and Savior declares it, it must be true.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 0:11 PM, AzureSen said:

Nah does actually age slowly, she's about the same age as the other kids but still looks like a child. Compare to Morgan who is probably the youngest of the kids, and is at least the youngest-looking, aside from her but still looks older than her.

Anyway, Kamui ages like a normal person, because if she was truly aging like a Manakete she'd look about ten years younger. Plus you'd think they'd point that out at some point if it was the intention. (Well, ignoring that the writers forgot that Kamui was half-dragon, so we probably wouldn't have gotten confirmation either way regardless.)

I think the writers didn't mention it in the plot was because they either forgot about it or didn't do it since it would spoil that Anankos was the avatar's father. I find it hard to believe that the father could live thousands of years, but Kamui couldn't since based on past Fire Emblem games all half-dragon could life for at least hundreds of years.

On 6/3/2017 at 3:41 PM, Midnight Torch said:

If our Lord and Savior declares it, it must be true.

I don't remember this conversation, when was this in the game?

Edited by ShadowPaladin