How does the game compensate for removing weapon triangle?

Hi, every fire emblem game I've played has included the weapon triangle, as far as I know weapon triangle has been a cornerstone mechanic for the series and a lot of the strategy and decision making involved is based on the weapon triangle, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy the game without it.

11 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

Hi, every fire emblem game I've played has included the weapon triangle, as far as I know weapon triangle has been a cornerstone mechanic for the series and a lot of the strategy and decision making involved is based on the weapon triangle, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy the game without it.

The original Gaiden didn't have it, so it's not like they up and removed it (and the first 3 games didn't have it, in fact)

It doesn't change the game a whole lot, actually. Gaiden definitely wanted you to use and work around terrain though.

You might not like it; having played the games that do and don't have it, it doesn't make a ton of difference. It makes positioning and formations important when you can't rely on dodging/reducing damage due to WTA. On the flipside, you are never at a disadvantage.

This time, terrain has a larger impact. You will want to seek out advantageous terrain and avoid fighting enemies sitting on one.

Also there are the usual weaknesses to consider like bows versus fliers, magic versus most physical units etc.

I didn't really notice the weapon triangle being gone, but I have played games where it's missing before, such as the original Gaiden.

Weapon Triangle isn't that pivotal. And it doesn't. You, the player, simply deals with it. (Or in your case, apparently, go Cold Turkey)

And if it actually did, it must've been too irrelevant for me to notice(or second nature, but who knows).

Also the only FE I've seen where the WT actually makes a hell of a difference is Heroes

Edited by Soledai

I remember reading that the original version didn't have the weapon triangle and that since the original game didn't have axe wielding classes adding weapon triangle to the new version would have been awkward.

I'm worried that if you have 1 or 2 units that are total powerhouses then they essentially have no weakness in battle, nothing would really worry you except for sheer numbers. Thats been my experience with previous FE games that when I just focus on 4~5 units they can clear the whole game without threat so long as they lookout for their weapon weakness or resistance/defense.

But I believe it when you say its not noticeable they probably re-balanced the stats and I remember weapon triangles are most of the time to your advantage rather than the enemy's. I'm willing to give the game a try, I think its good that theres a new installment with a slightly new take on the mechanic but i did like having an extra variable to consider when forming a strategy.

31 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

I remember reading that the original version didn't have the weapon triangle and that since the original game didn't have axe wielding classes adding weapon triangle to the new version would have been awkward.

I'm worried that if you have 1 or 2 units that are total powerhouses then they essentially have no weakness in battle, nothing would really worry you except for sheer numbers. Thats been my experience with previous FE games that when I just focus on 4~5 units they can clear the whole game without threat so long as they lookout for their weapon weakness or resistance/defense.

But I believe it when you say its not noticeable they probably re-balanced the stats and I remember weapon triangles are most of the time to your advantage rather than the enemy's. I'm willing to give the game a try, I think its good that theres a new installment with a slightly new take on the mechanic but i did like having an extra variable to consider when forming a strategy.

Honestly even in other games, the weapon triangle doesn't matter that much to juggernaut characters either, so it's really not that different.

Enemy stats have been buffed from Gaiden, so they can't be trivialized by people like Lukas anymore.

56 minutes ago, Soledai said:

Weapon Triangle isn't that pivotal. And it doesn't. You, the player, simply deals with it. (Or in your case, apparently, go Cold Turkey)

And if it actually did, it must've been too irrelevant for me to notice(or second nature, but who knows).

Also the only FE I've seen where the WT actually makes a hell of a difference is Heroes

Yeah. The way avoid is calculated is way more important. (1RN vs 2RN. How imortant is each stats...) There's more difference between Genealogy and a GBA games than Genealogy and Gaiden...

4 hours ago, Raybrand said:

I'm worried that if you have 1 or 2 units that are total powerhouses then they essentially have no weakness in battle

Yeah, this won't happen. Your units in Echoes are pretty much on the same level as the enemies you fight (up until the last parts of Ch.4 onwards, where enemies take a huge leap in stats). Since your unit's growths are still fairly low, and the RNG is different than recent games, finding a unit that can become a true "powerhouse" is rare. 

Alm is probably the closest thing to the kind of powerhouse you're thinking about.

Gaiden is more about positioning and terrain, as the amount of maps with vast areas will tell you. While there are maps with obvious chokepoints, your concern is mostly about keeping your fragile units from not being exposed from too many attacks and having advantageous terrain if that's the case, even moreso than your average Fire Emblem.

I've only played the first couple of chapters, so I'm not sure if it changes later but a lot of the damage seems really chippy to me as well. Like the enemies are either weak or it's just designed to be a little more back and forth than in some of the newer games. Maybe recoverable is the right word? LIke if I put someone in the wrong spot for a turn the chance they just straight up die is lower.