Why isn't Crystal being added to the VC?!

Anacybele

Seriously, why? I see no reason for this...

Some of us were introduced to gen 2 with Crystal, not Gold or Silver, GameFreak... And yet you allowed Yellow to be added with Red and Blue when they were released on the VC.

Can anyone think of why GameFreak would ignore Crystal here? I mean, at first I was like "oh neat, I'll be able to get Crystal again" when the original gen 2 showed up on the screen and then a second later I was like "oh, I guess not. Thanks a lot, GameFreak. >_>"

Sorry, I just...I'm really annoyed at this. I didn't play a lot of my copy of Crystal since HG/SS was announced not that long after I got it (yeah, I got a gen 2 game quite late...), but I think this is so unfair when Yellow got to be added with Red and Blue.

Do you think this means we'll never see Crystal on the VC?

Edited by Anacybele

I have zero doubts it'll come eventually, but I definitely agree they should've released it along side GS.

Maybe they're saving Crystal for when Ultra SuMo comes out, while GS comes out at the same time as Pokken? I dunno.

Unlike Yellow, which completely changed the starter structure (by just making it Pikachu), Crystal was the definitive version of G/S.

If they released Crystal, it would have been almost a waste of time and resources to port G/S, because it's easily the definitive version of the game. I bought Blue/Yellow, but I probably would have only bought Crystal. At that point, G/S version exclusive pokemon would be lost for trading, etc.

I'm sad that there was no Crystal, but I'm a Silver guy all the way.

At first, I thought that It was because Crystal was a GBC exclusive (gold, silver, and yellow are "black cartredge" gameboy games with colors if you plug it into a GBC.) However, that can't be right. There are plenty of gbc exclusive games on the virtual console, like shantae and the zelda oracle games. It might be that the special game boy emulater that the pokemon games use (that has link cable support) can't natively handle gbc exclusive games. In fact, I think that this is the reason. It is also possible that they are intentionaly delaying the release of crystal to get people to buy gold or silver plus crystal, instead of just crystal because they can't wait. (sp the same reason that they waited for third versions origionaly)

It was kinda weird that they didn't add Pokemon Crystal to the Virtual Console yet. I already did beaten Pokemon HeartGold, but I was actually thinking earlier of getting Crystal incase if they planned on adding it to the Virtual Console later on before they announced Gold and Silver Virtual Console titles on the Pokemon Direct, but I wondered if they'll might release it to the Virtual Console service later after September?

I kinda think about it, I know that they kept the changed Suicune route from roaming in Johto to battle in Kanto and Eusine in the DS remakes since those two were in Crystal, but Kris was replaced by Lyra. Speaking of which, what stuff from Crystal that wasn't actually featured in HeartGold and SoulSiver besides the replacement of the female protagonist?

Edited by King Marth 64

9 hours ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Unlike Yellow, which completely changed the starter structure (by just making it Pikachu), Crystal was the definitive version of G/S.

If they released Crystal, it would have been almost a waste of time and resources to port G/S, because it's easily the definitive version of the game. I bought Blue/Yellow, but I probably would have only bought Crystal. At that point, G/S version exclusive pokemon would be lost for trading, etc.

I'm sad that there was no Crystal, but I'm a Silver guy all the way.

Except that the VC releases support trading, and Crystal did not have all the Pokémon in the Pokédex. There are quite a few common ones missing, like Mareep.

There's zero reason for Nintendo to hold back on Crystal's release. I actually think it's related to the phone adapter support, which was absent in the Western releases but was there in the Japanese ones.

5 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

Except that the VC releases support trading, and Crystal did not have all the Pokémon in the Pokédex. There are quite a few common ones missing, like Mareep.

There's zero reason for Nintendo to hold back on Crystal's release. I actually think it's related to the phone adapter support, which was absent in the Western releases but was there in the Japanese ones.

Oh really, was that phone adaptor support suppose to be that Celebi event which it's the first Mystery Gift in the entire franchise? Or is that phone adaptor was just used for something else?

Like others said, I bet we'll see Crystal in the future. I thought it was weird too at first, but then I realized it somewhat counterproductive for them: if Gold and Silver were to be released alongside Crystal, nobody would've bought them. And they can milk more money by releasing it later (by making people buy 2 games instead of one).

I think it wasn't the case with Japanese Blue and Yellow because the Gen I games are essentially the same with minor changes, while Crystal adds quite some features that weren't present in GS.