What’s your favorite and least favorite “last words”?

The most silliest more for me is Ilyana, hungry to the end.

“No! Ahh... I'm dying... on an empty stomach...”

My favorites death works are the ones where people are more concern about the group succeeding over their own life.

Honestly I don't have a favorite in particular. There are multiple that I really really like. Especially from Radiant Dawn and SoV.

A couple examples of ones I like from RD would be Aran's, Titania's, and Brom's.

Spoiler

Aran: "I’m not a hero… I’m just a soldier. There’s no lesson in this… I knew that’s…how it would be… But still… I…"

Titania: Ike… I’m so happy to have watched over you as you grew older… You don’t need my help anymore… You’re going…to do well… I can rest…peacefully…

Brom: Hey, kids… Your dad, he worked real hard…for everyone… To the very end… Aah…

As for SoV, one particular quote I really quite love is Conrad's. The physical amount of emotion put into it by the voice actor is quite moving. Him removing his mask during the quote is also a nice touch.

Spoiler

Conrad: “Heh… Guess I’m… not quite the hero I hoped to be… Anthiese… Your happiness is… all I ever…”

Edited by CatManThree

Arran: To find my end... in battle... was my one true wish...

I love Arran's character. Despite being an Archanean, both his personality and his backstory are great, and how he actually develops between the two books. I find it interesting how dying before the conclusion of book 2 is a better ending for his character than surviving both books, unlike most others. Think about it: the guy hides how bad his sickness really is so that Marth doesn't send him home, and keeps overextending himself to serve him as he believes he deserves. And in the end, when his weakness and recklessness finally catch up to him, he's happy, for he knows his journey for redemption has finally come to an end. He's finally earned his own forgiveness. It's a simple quote, but it encapsulates this perfectly.

My headcanon is that he recklessly charges at Lang, and when the latter runs him through with his lance, he grabs it and prevents the foul General from pulling it out, sacrificing himself to give someone else the chance to bring him down. The perfect end for a Jeigan: to die Jeiganing. Lang is also the point in the game when he truly starts to drop off (Sirius, I know, but he can still hold his own for a few chapters after Sirius joins), so I think it's a good moment for his "canonical" death.

Raigh: Hngh! In this world... there are only fools...

Raigh's quote is another one I'm rather fond of. It's badass, and it fits his character. I like to think that he's refering to himself as a fool too.

Valter: Urggh... Gaaaaah!

I find this one hilarious. Valter, the pompous murderer, the poetic psycopath, the pretentious manhunter! Valter, the great moonstone of Grado! Valter, he who shall bring death to the twins of Renais, and doom to the whole continent!

...dies with a pathetic scream. He doesn't even get a chance to cry a little like Narcian. Nope. He just screams and dies. How ironic.

Lyon: Where... where did I go wrong?

Oh, Lyon, where indeed. He may've liked to pretend he was in control throughout Ephraim's route, but only in his death he realised, he was mad. No matter how much he tried to think he wasn't, that's sad, unquestionable truth.

I don't recall any I dislike, but for my favorites.

Player unit: Knoll

"In this darkness, I will find peace."

NPC: Limstella

“I am not human. This mind and body are constructs. Yes, as is this sorrow."

I always choke up when I read that.

My least favorite ones are the ones that don't take dying seriously. Some try to play it off or downplay it, which is nice, but characters like Ilyana just take you out of the experience. Owain, as much as I like him, deserves a dishonorable mention as well for that reason - “Ungh... Stupid weapon...doesn't work... Should have...given it...a better name...”

As for favorites, I've got quite a few. Lyon's "Where...Where did I go wrong?" is in the very top, but most of the Awakening kids also have some really sad ones; they also get two because of Future Past.

Cynthia's “No! I...I won't give...up... I still believe...this world...can...” is painful because she's the only one who hasn't lost hope, yet she dies anyway, without you being able to save her in time.

Brady's “Have to...keep going... Gemstones...to Ylisse...” is sad because he probably kept running until his body just couldn't take it anymore without his mind even realizing what was happening.

A favorite one of mine is Tana’s. Everyone keeps saying that she doesn’t know what she is getting into when she says she wants to fight, but her death quote shows that she knew she could die at any moment, and she ready for it.

Another interesting one is Tiki’s in Awakening. She almost seems relieved to die.

Anna’s in Awakening is also interesting because she seems to have an epiphany in her last moments.

"Prince Marth...tell them...I didn't run..." - Cain. Something along the lines of that. Holy cow, this one is powerful, and shows how Cain is plagued by his survivors guilt.

3 hours ago, Ragnellius said:

One of my favorites is Dozla's.

Ha ha ha! I couldn't have asked for a better ending!

Just so fits how crazy awesome he is.

Very unfitting when dying to the Devil Axe being used to break walls.