Why do people overuse periods, online?

Junkhead

.................................................................................................................................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Periods are overused? Hm. I never noticed.

No, seriously, I never noticed. Or in the least I don't pay attention. I figure it's better to overuse periods than to not use them at all.

22 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Silly Soul, the most overused punctuation is no punctuation!

true

20 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

We need a Tier list for punctuation.

Don't. 

10 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Periods are overused? Hm. I never noticed.

No, seriously, I never noticed. Or in the least I don't pay attention. I figure it's better to overuse periods than to not use them at all.

not sure if ironic

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I think the comma in the thread title is probably not needed.

I'm sure it works there. 

7 minutes ago, Augestein said:

I'd rather there be too many period than none!

nah, it's funny when people type like that

Semicolons exist too; they bridge what would be two sentences into one when the topic of both sentences would be better suited as just one. Also helps with Run-on sentences.

Also the comma in the title is completely unnecessary. Commas, period, semicolons, and other punctuation marks tell you when you can take a breath (if reading aloud) or just signals the brain to stop for a second. There's no need for a break before saying online in that sentence.

But if you were referring to something like "..." then that's actually got a name! It's ellipsis, and they usually represent the removal of a word ( or words). Also the one thing that JRPGS have a fetish for.

I agree that the comma in the title is probably superfluous

I actually get more annoyed (although annoyed is a strong word for how I feel about it) by overused commas than overused periods because the overused commas are often from people not knowing how commas work and meanwhile the overused periods are generally from people purposely doing so for emphasis (although sometimes people overuse commas for that same reason as well)

though I've seen multiple reasons that people intentionally overuse periods and commas. Since text doesn't translate the same way as speaking does, it really helps to morph/evolve the language rules to make up for that fact just like bolding/italicizing do

meanwhile the lack of punctuation also helps get certain meanings across........ buuuuut is also often just laziness ^o^ as long as you get your point across there isn't that much of a reason to?? I only use periods if I need separation but otherwise, as you can see at the end of my paragraphs, I don't bother

and hey there's also what I did just now, which was end a declaration with a question mark. It's just like.... all stuff making up for a lack of vocal communication

judging by how long this post got I guess I'm enjoying talking about this too much

1 hour ago, Freohr Datia said:

I agree that the comma in the title is probably superfluous

I actually get more annoyed (although annoyed is a strong word for how I feel about it) by overused commas than overused periods because the overused commas are often from people not knowing how commas work and meanwhile the overused periods are generally from people purposely doing so for emphasis (although sometimes people overuse commas for that same reason as well)

though I've seen multiple reasons that people intentionally overuse periods and commas. Since text doesn't translate the same way as speaking does, it really helps to morph/evolve the language rules to make up for that fact just like bolding/italicizing do

meanwhile the lack of punctuation also helps get certain meanings across........ buuuuut is also often just laziness ^o^ as long as you get your point across there isn't that much of a reason to?? I only use periods if I need separation but otherwise, as you can see at the end of my paragraphs, I don't bother

and hey there's also what I did just now, which was end a declaration with a question mark. It's just like.... all stuff making up for a lack of vocal communication

judging by how long this post got I guess I'm enjoying talking about this too much

yeah

4 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

But if you were referring to something like "..." then that's actually got a name! It's ellipsis, and they usually represent the removal of a word ( or words). Also the one thing that JRPGS have a fetish for.

I use them in writing when a character trails off in dialogue. Sometimes outside of dialogue, but not as often.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I use them in writing when a character trails off in dialogue. Sometimes outside of dialogue, but not as often.

I think he means when they've literally nothing to say.