Future Legendary Heroes (September~December)

Diovani Bressan

21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

This makes sense for spoken lines, but this simply doesn't apply to any text that isn't linked to audio. In fact, the only lines in Heroes where you have English audio at the same time as there is the corresponding text on the screen is in the Special activation cut-in.

Also, this would not be a valid reason for any game that has zero voiced lines, like the GBA Fire Emblem titles.

Like I said, they probably just don't want to mix and match different translations for consistency's sake. If they translated a weapon from it's Japanese title instead of the English one, they might run into trouble later if it suddenly got referenced in voice lines by an alt or something. Not that I am saying this would happen constantly, but they probably just want to be on the save side. It's also more convenient to work with one translation, rather than trying to reconcile two different language versions into one elegant final product. As for why they still pull this with non-voiced games, even if it's not necessary there, I am guessing they've just decided to stick to English wholesale on all fronts. 

I am really not an expert on the industry, and aside from what I read about the FFX debacle, I am mostly making educated guesses based on my own translation experiences.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Like I said, they probably just don't want to mix and match different translations for consistency's sake. If they translated a weapon from it's Japanese title instead of the English one, they might run into trouble later if it suddenly got referenced in voice lines by an alt or something. Not that I am saying this would happen constantly, but they probably just want to be on the save side. It's also more convenient to work with one translation, rather than trying to reconcile two different language versions into one elegant final product. As for why they still pull this with non-voiced games, even if it's not necessary there, I am guessing they've just decided to stick to English wholesale on all fronts. 

I am really not an expert on the industry, and aside from what I read about the FFX debacle, I am mostly making educated guesses based on my own translation experiences.

The probability of voice lines appearing in The Sacred Stones is exactly zero.

The probability of a character referencing their inheritable weapon in their voice lines in Heroes is exactly zero.

This absolutely does not explain why character titles actually have some variation between languages as those are actually more likely to be reference in voice lines than almost anything else in the game other than character names.

And it also absolutely does not explain why character names have a decent amount of variation between languages (usually to avoid names that are weird in that language) because those are literally the most likely words to be referenced by voice lines.

A few examples of changed names:

• Haar is "Darahan" in German because "Haar" in German means "hair".
  • Mist is "Alja" in German because "Mist" in German means "dung".
  • Innes is "James" in Spanish because "Innes" is similar to "Inés", which is a feminine name.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The probability of voice lines appearing in The Sacred Stones is exactly zero.

The probability of a character referencing their inheritable weapon in their voice lines in Heroes is exactly zero

Read my last sentence again.

When did I talk about inheritable weapons? Maybe I should have clarified better, since that's what the conversation was about earlier, but I meant weapons in general. And translator aren't going to go case by case. They'll either go with a wholesale solution or nothing. It saves time.

Someone, at some point, decided to switch to English as the base to translate from since most games feature voice acting nowadays. The Japanese translation department for NoE likely experienced some downsizing as a result and so even games that could be completely translated from Japanese are translated from English because they have more people who can do that.

I am not saying the reasoning is perfect. I am not saying they couldn't do it otherwise. All I am saying is that to my knowledge they decided to translate everything from English after voice acting became more prominent in games in general.

Since we just got a blue Dagger and bow, I'll guess that we won't get either. We also already have two Legendary lances, so that leaves us with tomes and dragonstones. 

I'll predict Corrin. Either male Corrin as a Hoshidan Noble or female Corrin as a Dark Blood, like how they're often portrayed in things like Warriors. I'd love to see Micaiah but would rather see her as a Legendary colorless staff. Then again, if it's Earth then I guess that would fit Micaiah better. 

Edited by Thane