River City Girls: A new Kunio Kun/RCR made by Wayfoward and arcsys

Jedi

As a huge fan of this franchise it's awesome to see this. Such smooth animation, such nice sprites. Hype! Not that I needed EVEN more to buy this year but hey.

I played RCR GBA version when I was younger. Kinda repetitive, slow to gain money, no save feature inasmuch as I could tell, and it left me lost about where to go. But, particularly with knowledge of the cheats to get all moves and go crazy with my character's appearance, it could be fun.

I haven't played anything else in the Kunio-kun series, but I'm not aware of much more of it leaving Japan, where it has its following. I know a dodgeball game came over, but I never bought it.

RCG's graphics are a little weird, not chibi 8-bit, but not 16-bit either. It's somewhere between 8- and 16-bit pixellation, with unusually large sprites and scenery for 8-bit. On the other hand, I have to commend it for not just unoriginally copying RCR's original or polished graphics. And in motion the game looks better than stills would portray it. I can adjust to being fine with this.

I'm not particularly big on beat em' ups, though I did really like Odin Sphere, I enjoy Musou games, and romped through VJ a few times in my youth (I wasn't good when it came to ratings, and Fire Leo walled me from completion every time).

I could consider getting this at some point.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

My friend has already called dibs on Kyoko.

This game was announced similar to the new Shantae with just the title and no teaser footage or artwork. Glad we didn't have to wait long though. Double Dragon Neon so of course I have faith in WayForward and their many classic revival games. How did they even nab the license for River City Ransom? Between this, Battletoads, and Streets of Rage 4, this is a goood year for beat em ups.

I don't mind the new designs for everyone. Heck Kunio even looks kind of badass 

90e924ed4cdf2ac0eac0c0a2c93006d5.jpg

Even if the vibe I got from him was "Anime Viktor Krum" and "Lance's long lost brother"

Woah, did not expect this.

Played the GBA rivercity but it was kinda boring and I was confused on where to go at times. The SNES Kunio kun game however, I had fun with, even if it was pretty difficult.

Hopefully this game turns out great.