Jump to content
BastienSoul

FE16 Same-Sex Relationship Discussion

Recommended Posts

I feel kinda crushed right now. A lot of my excitement for this game is gone.

If Edelgard didn't have one, I'd hope that the arrows might have meant a secret S support that was revealed when you reached that level. As it is, I think they might be signals that you can't advance past or to that support level until post time skip. Though edelgard having a C gets in the way of that idea as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Well, that looks like the M4M options figured out. Is there any confirmation of the F4F pairings?

The twitter confirmed Edelgard, Dorothea and Mercedes so far and said overall there was 5 however those 3 (plus Linhardt for the guys) were the least spoilery.

Spoiler

According to Thani, Sothis, Rhea and Manuela are options though I am leaning more Sothis and Manuela since I can see Rhea getting the chop

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:
  Hide contents

Alois' wife is 100% going to die during the timeskip (or before, I guess). I'm personally fine with Gilbert and Alois, but they're no Claude that's for sure.

Linhardt's grown on me a lot, so he's probably my favorite of the bunch (though that might change later).

It would be cool if more S supports are unlocked after the timeskip, but I'm not going to get my hopes up (again). Maybe there will be other characters that they aren't allowed to talk about though.

 

Spoiler

I have no doubts in mind that some terrible fate is gonna befall his wife but it's the thought of swooping in like a fucking vulture after she's gone that has me reeling honestly. I've always hated those types of plots.

Yeah I'm also not gonna bank too much on S supports unlocking later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kind of weird that they would show all the support pairings like that on the extras screen from the start, instead of revealing them as you advance in the story.

Unless of course these are only pre skip supports and there's more that haven't been unlocked yet. Which always opens up the possibility of there being 2 male same-sex options that are only available after the skip, for a total of 5 just like the women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Book Bro said:

It's kind of weird that they would show all the support pairings like that on the extras screen from the start, instead of revealing them as you advance in the story.

Unless of course these are only pre skip supports and there's more that haven't been unlocked yet. Which always opens up the possibility of there being 2 male same-sex options that are only available after the skip, for a total of 5 just like the women.

Except for the fact that S-supports themselves are all locked until after the timeskip, yet they're still listed. Maybe more convos could be locked behind quests or something, but I doubt that they would suddenly open up a same-sex relationship behind a quest. The only way I could really see more pairings added would be through DLC or later patches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some people aren't totally happy with the distribution of MLM relations, but I'm fucking GIDDY that not all the same sex options are young, twinky archetypes. And regarding Alois's wife and kid, you can totally write it in a way where Alois and his wife split off amicably, or she dies and he and Byleth get together after the fact, with Byleth being a wholesome step-parent. Whether or not IS has the writing chops remains to be seen, but if you seriously think a 2nd party Nintendo title will have the protagonist be an abject homewrecker you need to seek help.

Also, if the speculation of 

Spoiler

Gilbert being Annette's dad, and the confession box of him having left their family is correct,

I wonder if they're going to go the route of him having left because of him being an MLM. Could be intriguing to see unfold.

Edited by aaronarium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Except for the fact that S-supports themselves are all locked until after the timeskip, yet they're still listed. Maybe more convos could be locked behind quests or something, but I doubt that they would suddenly open up a same-sex relationship behind a quest. The only way I could really see more pairings added would be through DLC or later patches.

I think Book Bro meant that some characters might only appear after the timeskip and they might be same-sex candidates. Not necessarily unlocking S supports for existing characters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn gay options are soooo underwhelming. I like Linhardt but just one student and the rest 2 old dudes with sons/daughters... Meanwhile lesbian options are better and also more abundant... Wtf were they thinking 🙄 I'm seriously pissed off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, aaronarium said:

I know some people aren't totally happy with the distribution of MLM relations, but I'm fucking GIDDY that not all the same sex options are young, twinky archetypes. And regarding Alois's wife and kid, you can totally write it in a way where Alois and his wife split off amicably, or she dies and he and Byleth get together after the fact, with Byleth being a wholesome step-parent. Whether or not IS has the writing chops remains to be seen, but if you seriously think a 2nd party Nintendo title will have the protagonist be an abject homewrecker you need to seek help.

Also, if the speculation of 

  Hide contents

Gilbert being Annette's dad, and the confession box of him having left their family is correct,

I wonder if they're going to go the route of him having left because of him being an MLM. Could be intriguing to see unfold.

I'm glad that there are older, more traditionally masculine options.

Spoiler

I'm very pleased to have Alois as an option (I also don't think he's as old as everyone is making him out to be). 

But it does bother me that there aren't any traditionally attractive "anime pretty boy" options (Linhardt is a bit too femme to fit that niche). I'd much rather have had Caspar or Claude instead of Hilbert, to at least cover that base. Gilbert is so unappealing he's essentially a non-option in my eyes. 

 

Edited by EJ107

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyan Surr said:

Damn gay options are soooo underwhelming. I like Linhardt but just one student and the rest 2 old dudes with sons/daughters... Meanwhile lesbian options are better and also more abundant... Wtf were they thinking 🙄 I'm seriously pissed off.

To be fair, the wlw relationship were gonna be rock solid no matter who they picked. There isn't a single girl who isn't conventionally attractive or looks like they have a 40 year age gap with the MC. I can't help but share your bitterness tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It honestly just seems strange to me that they'd have multiple gay options and have the male side be like...this. I mean, it's not terrible, and it's certainly better than Fates, but it just confuses me that no one like Claude or Felix was chosen.

Still, it's nice after all this time with rumors to get real confirmation on these things. And hey, it's not just Linhardt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kyan Surr said:

Damn gay options are soooo underwhelming. I like Linhardt but just one student and the rest 2 old dudes with sons/daughters... Meanwhile lesbian options are better and also more abundant... Wtf were they thinking 🙄 I'm seriously pissed off.

I guess it just means that Intelligent Systems is going through its Mass Effect stage of handling same-sex relationships.

37 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I think Book Bro meant that some characters might only appear after the timeskip and they might be same-sex candidates. Not necessarily unlocking S supports for existing characters

Ah. Well, we know so little about the post-timeskip game in general, so that certainly could be a possibility.

38 minutes ago, aaronarium said:

I know some people aren't totally happy with the distribution of MLM relations, but I'm fucking GIDDY that not all the same sex options are young, twinky archetypes. And regarding Alois's wife and kid, you can totally write it in a way where Alois and his wife split off amicably, or she dies and he and Byleth get together after the fact, with Byleth being a wholesome step-parent. Whether or not IS has the writing chops remains to be seen, but if you seriously think a 2nd party Nintendo title will have the protagonist be an abject homewrecker you need to seek help.

Spoiler

I agree completely, and, to that point, I'm certainly coming around to going with Alois on my first playthrough. But, I would have also liked to have at least one conventionally attractive option as well, in addition to someone much more crucial to the plot like how F!Byleth has Edelgard.

 

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

After stewing over it a bit, I kind of like Alois and Gilbert. I'm still disappointed that Claude (and any of the Blue Lions, but that ship has sailed) isn't an option, and livid with that article that implied that he was (and the author for taking it even further), but I think the three we got are OK. Who knows, maybe post-time skip Linhardt will be just as hot as Claude.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly the choices for mlm are quite insulting. If you want to marry someone your age, your only choice is someone that looks like a girl already. If you want to marry someone more masculine, you have to marry someone that already have an established family previously and also be around your dad’s age.

Combine the fact that wlw gets 5 of the most popular female characters (among straight men), you cant help but think the gay options included in the game are  included to please the straight yuri fans first and not the lgbt community. The mlm options were just thrown in so that they can be ‘equal’.

Heavy sigh.

Edited by zuibangde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp color me disappointed though again that was probably my own fault.

13 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Honestly the choices for mlm are quite insulting. If you want to marry someone your age, your only choice is someone that looks like a girl already. If you want to marry someone more masculine, you have to marry someone that already have an established family previously and also be around your dad’s age.

Combine the fact that wlw gets 5 of the most popular female characters (among straight men), you cant help but think the gay options included in the game are to please the straight yuri fans and not the lgbt community. 

Heavy sigh.

Honestly, I kinda feel like this too. Not only is F!Byleth given the option of SEVERAL conventionally attractive girls (who shouldn't be too far from her age range it looks like) but a MAIN LORD. The least they could've done is given us Claude or an option that wasn't a man several times our age who's already married.

I have absolutely no idea why they'd be able to pick the female options so well (though to be fair none of the girls have an equivalent to Alois or Gilbert) and almost completely flop when it came to picking guys. Linhardt's okay but I feel like he might seem to effeminate for most people, at least that's what I've heard. Like, Alois I can kinda get- he looks decent and I can understand how someone who's into older guys can like him- but Gilbert's already married, had a child and looks like he's even older than Jeralt. Not trying to diss his character here, but I fail to see how most people would find that appealing when you put him next to any of the other male students. And they literally could've picked ANY OTHER male student.

I guess I won't be going for any pairings this game which is disappointing since the support system and character customization was how I got into Fire Emblem. The options are more... nonsensical from a marketing perspective than they are outright terrible. To the very least Niles had a fun, attractive, and interesting character that I probably would've gone for even if they gave us more options.

Again though, someone said it looked like a photo from only the Black Eagles Route, so there could be more in the other routes we aren't seeing.

Edit: Added more and put spaces for clarity.

Edited by Cyan1456

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cyan1456 said:

And they literally could've picked ANY OTHER male student. 

I don't think it's even necessary to get rid of Gilbert.

They could have just given us 2 more options to be on par with the female options and have those two options be Claude and Dedue or something like that. But nooooo. They just had to cut the male options short.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I think Book Bro meant that some characters might only appear after the timeskip and they might be same-sex candidates. Not necessarily unlocking S supports for existing characters

Exactly, like how in the GBA games characters were grayed out on the support menu until you recruited them. Can't remember atm if that was also the case in the later entries.

It's really baffling that Claude at least isn't an option though, like everyone was hoping/speculating he would be since the first trailer lol. Pretty tone deaf of the developers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Exactly, like how in the GBA games characters were grayed out on the support menu until you recruited them. Can't remember atm if that was also the case in the later entries.

Awakening and Fates darkened the map sprites of units you had yet to recruit. Which was responsible for Interface Spoilers in the former.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have all these screenshots and preview players only tried out the Black Eagles route? Is there any chance that supports are different depending on what house you chose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My God the exaggeration and overreaction in here is way too much.

We dont even know if those are all the gay options. Thani even said some options are big spoilers. We need to wait and see post time skip stuff and even other houses options.

CALM DOWN AND WAIT. STOP WHINING.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

I guess it just means that Intelligent Systems is going through its Mass Effect stage of handling same-sex relationships.

If they're going through Mass Effect stages, I hope they don't go through whatever one that invoked the whole "my face is tired" nonsense, lmao

But really though, I find it interesting that we seemingly have the male same-sex relationships that we do.  Not who I would've thought.  Seems like instead of going the whole flamboyant boy route, they're going the Dream Daddy route + one other.  I do have to wonder if what we've heard is truly 100% accurate, especially considering how flirty a number of characters supposedly are according to Gaymar.

Any confirmation regarding the female same-sex options?

3 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Exactly, like how in the GBA games characters were grayed out on the support menu until you recruited them. Can't remember atm if that was also the case in the later entries.

In the 3DS games the unrecruited characters would show up in the support menu as shadowed sprites named as "???" and the support levels wouldn't even show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nio said:

My God the exaggeration and overreaction in here is way too much.

We dont even know if those are all the gay options. Thani even said some options are big spoilers. We need to wait and see post time skip stuff and even other houses options.

CALM DOWN AND WAIT. STOP WHINING.

It's already been confirmed they are the only options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EJ107 said:

It's already been confirmed they are the only options. 

This is NOT true, stop saying this stuff cause people would get a wrong idea.

One screenshot from the Eagles is not a confirmation for S supports to other houses, also, we "know" (from Leaks) that there are more S supports after the time skip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...