If you could buff certain characters, how would you do it?

If you could make changes to the game and improve certain characters, who would you improve, how, and why?

These are my own:

Byleth

Add strengths to every weapon/movement rank - Byleth should feel fully and conveniently customizable, not pigeon holed.

Change Faith pool to Heal, Nosferatu, Seraphim, Rescue, Aura.

Change Reason pool to Miasma, Mire, Banshee, Bohr, Death Spikes.

Add alternate unique class called Fell Star, which focuses on Swords, Armor, Reason, and Authority. Unlocked by choosing Crimson Flower path, and then will be available on New Game + for all paths.

Ashe

Better growth rates. Seriously, wtf. 

Add Steal to his personal skill.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d prefer Physic over Rescue, and I don’t think Dark Magic fits Byleth’s character. But yeah, buffing Byleth’s spell list and Magic growth/Magic cap would be a good starting point. Byleth should be able to excel in any area the player wants, especially if the game is giving you a faith proficient unique class for Byleth.

Raphael: Better growth rates nearly everywhere but strength, defense, and HP, because seriously, what in the seven hells were they thinking?

That's all I can think of for now.

More speed base or growth on Dorothea. Hubert is already a slow mage, it would be nice to have one who doubles enemies not in armor on BE route without recruiting outside students.

Caspar could use better defenses.

I think a general buff to Budding Talents would be nice. I feel like most characters who have a budding talent in Reason or Faith lack the spell list to really take advantage of it. Some of them only learn like 2 or 3 spells for their budding talent skill, it feels disingenuous to call that a talent.

1 minute ago, ApocaLips said:

Huh? Hubert’s speed growth is 45. Lysithea’s is only 5 higher and I’ve never heard anyone call her slow. 

I must have been really unlucky, my Hubert had speed less than 20 until the very late game. He hit 20 in chapter 16. He probably also feels slower because of spell weight.

Edited by De Geso

Annette get bolting at like B+. Also get weakness in faith to hammer the point that she should not go gremory and get neutral into heavy armor so she can grap weight-3 easily.

Dedue get budding talent in riding because he is clearly intended to go great knight.

Cyril get a 10% growth boost pretty mich everywhere because Est.

Alois get better bases. Gilbert get even more of those because 2 speed is a meme.

Character buffs are really rng reliant I would most make a NG option to teach a character spells or weapon arts like the crest stones

But I would also buff all the foot classes avances tier and above with one more move and would nerf flying classes to 5 move

9 minutes ago, De Geso said:

I must have been really unlucky, my Hubert had speed less than 20 until the very late game. He hit 20 in chapter 16. He probably also feels slower because of spell weight.

Swarm Z is only one less weight than Miasma, and the rest of the spells are on the heavy end for both of them, so not really. They also have the same base speed. 

Don’t mind me though, I’m just overly protective of Hubert. I think he’s much, much better than most give him credit for. 

allow the player to chose blyeths proficiency and unlock all classes from gender restrictions. if the aim of the system is a high degree of versatility then dont put in arbitrary restrictions that dont make much sense.

other then that no specific buffs in mind but then my characters have been over leveled as shit. maybe give ingrid a bit more attack or speed to begin with?

1 minute ago, NobodiePichu said:

allow the player to chose blyeths proficiency and unlock all classes from gender restrictions. if the aim of the system is a high degree of versatility then dont put in arbitrary restrictions that dont make much sense.

^This one hundred percent. Also allow some similar customization of Byleth’s stat growths, to better suit your intended build (even with a better spell list, 35% Magic Growth is pretty low if anyone wants to go mage as Byleth). 

I feel like a lot of the characters are good, it's just the classes who need work. I only played Golden Deer plus Seteth and Flayn and the only bench material was Flayn. And even I have to admit Flayn's faith spell list is top of the line. One of just two characters who learn Fortify, and unless you're playing LTC, Rescue is easily as helpful as Warp, if not moreso. Maybe just drop her Hit an Run lance art at C+ and replace it with Frozen Lance which is normally at A. She doesn't need higher than C to become a Holy Knight and having a magic strike would make up for her meh Reason spell list. Those spells might be threatening if she could double but her growth rates are Micaiah. Best she could hope for is a lucky crit, and she doesn't have seraphim either for blasting monsters.

11 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

^This one hundred percent. Also allow some similar customization of Byleth’s stat growths, to better suit your intended build (even with a better spell list, 35% Magic Growth is pretty low if anyone wants to go mage as Byleth). 

actually id also like to mention that i would like some way to add new spells to characters if the inherent learned spells make a comeback. say a one time use scroll that can teach a unit bolting or something.

Just now, NobodiePichu said:

actually id also like to mention that i would like some way to add new spells to characters if the inherent learned spells make a comeback. say a one time use scroll that can teach a unit bolting or something.

I was suggesting the other day that one thing they could do was bring back magic tomes, but treat them like the NG+ crest items: instead of being a weapon with durability, they just grant the unit holding them access to a single spell for as long as the tome is in their inventory. You’d probably only have one tome per spell, and probably be limited to one tome per character, but it would allow for some customization which would be really nice. 

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I feel like a lot of the characters are good, it's just the classes who need work. I only played Golden Deer plus Seteth and Flayn and the only bench material was Flayn. And even I have to admit Flayn's faith spell list is top of the line. One of just two characters who learn Fortify, and unless you're playing LTC, Rescue is easily as helpful as Warp, if not moreso. Maybe just drop her Hit an Run lance art at C+ and replace it with Frozen Lance which is normally at A. She doesn't need higher than C to become a Holy Knight and having a magic strike would make up for her meh Reason spell list. Those spells might be threatening if she could double but her growth rates are Micaiah. Best she could hope for is a lucky crit, and she doesn't have seraphim either for blasting monsters.

How in the name of Anankos did you manage to make Raphael useful??? Because at this point, the one reason I have to bother with him is a paralogue that mandates his presence.

1 minute ago, ZanaLyrander said:

I was suggesting the other day that one thing they could do was bring back magic tomes, but treat them like the NG+ crest items: instead of being a weapon with durability, they just grant the unit holding them access to a single spell for as long as the tome is in their inventory. You’d probably only have one tome per spell, and probably be limited to one tome per character, but it would allow for some customization which would be really nice. 

i mean, it would be appreciated anyways. i understand magic tomes dont exactly make sense with the breaking and all but it worked just fine from a gameplay perspective.

Just now, Shadow Mir said:

How in the name of Anankos did you manage to make Raphael useful??? Because at this point, the one reason I have to bother with him is a paralogue that mandates his presence.

Two words: Wyvern Lord. Wyvern Lord has a minimum speed of 20, and provides +4 speed while in the class, for a minimum of 24 speed. And frankly, for a unit with strength, HP, and defense as high as Raphael’s, that’s plenty. He can double slower, armored units, and faster units with low defense he can kill in one hit anyway. Raphael was like my third best unit in my GD run. 

4 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

i mean, it would be appreciated anyways. i understand magic tomes dont exactly make sense with the breaking and all but it worked just fine from a gameplay perspective.

Yeah. I like the limited uses per battle magic system a lot more than the tomes with durability system (a sword that breaks after 20 swings is dumb enough, but running out of book makes absolutely no sense), but I do miss being able to choose what spells my characters had access to.

15 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Two words: Wyvern Lord. Wyvern Lord has a minimum speed of 20, and provides +4 speed while in the class, for a minimum of 24 speed. And frankly, for a unit with strength, HP, and defense as high as Raphael’s, that’s plenty. He can double slower, armored units, and faster units with low defense he can kill in one hit anyway. Raphael was like my third best unit in my GD run. 

If I have to make him an overpowered class just for him to not suck, that just makes it glaringly obvious that the class is what's carrying him, and thus makes it glaringly obvious that he's really bad... I mean, he's still going to be sucking worse than Little Mac's recovery for a non-trivial portion of the game, after all, and you have to go through his awful phase for him to get to his "good" phase.

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Yeah. I like the limited uses per battle magic system a lot more than the tomes with durability system (a sword that breaks after 20 swings is dumb enough, but running out of book makes absolutely no sense), but I do miss being able to choose what spells my characters had access to.

I suppose that could be handwaved away by the durability of a tome being the quantity of magic stored within.

But then we run into a different silly issue - why does each tome only have one spell. What the Hell is on the rest of the pages?

Three Houses magic has it's own ridiculous issue (that being that magic spells somehow have weight despite not coming with any associated physical object), but it's still a much better and more fun system than the tome-based one. Perhaps in future titles, weight (and thus attack speed) could be tied to the staff/wand/orb used by the mage. The mage could get a lot of benefit out of a powerful object like Thyrsus at the cost of attack speed.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

If I have to make him an overpowered class just for him to not suck, that just makes it glaringly obvious that the class is what's carrying him, and thus makes it glaringly obvious that he's really bad... I mean, he's going to be sucking worse than Little Mac's recovery for a non-trivial portion of the game, after all.

Fair, but what I mean is that while you’re correct that Wyvern Lord is overpowered, Raphael makes it especially so: I had several Wyvern Lords in my GD playthrough and Raphael was outperforming most of them. He is so monstrously strong and durable, with the class fixing his lacking speed, he became unstoppable. His low speed was the only thing keeping him from being an absolute monster, with that problem out of the way, he was like a runaway bus, anything in the way was just paste. And even before I got him to Wyvern Lord, he was a good tank, and could shrug off hits like nobody’s business. The one on my team who was useless was Ignatz, who, by virtue of shitty stat growths and bad rng, was completely useless.

51 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

He had natural 40+ strength at the end of the game. I missed Death Blow and he still snowballed to the end. There were several enemies that nobody but him could one round with 90+accuracy. I can see why people make him a wyvern, the just okay speed he nets pairs well with how much his strength drops axe weight and he'll maybe double something with an axe, but gauntlets and War Master were made for his stat line. Every encounter was 33x2 damage with 30+ crit rate on Hard mode endgame. Gauntlet proficiency also provides 20 avoid and Healing Focus (38 HP infinite vulnerary) so he could strike out on his own when bushes are in the equation. Quick Riposte is also allegedly broken but he mastered the class on the final map which was too late to actually equip and try it.

Edited by Glennstavos

19 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

The one on my team who was useless was Ignatz, who, by virtue of shitty stat growths and bad rng, was completely useless.

I made Ignatz into a Swordmaster and he doubles, dodge tanks and crits pretty consistently. There are better swordmasters out there (Petra) but I find that he can be useful...he just needs a lot of babying in the beginning. 

1 hour ago, ApocaLips said:

Swarm Z is only one less weight than Miasma, and the rest of the spells are on the heavy end for both of them, so not really. They also have the same base speed. 

Don’t mind me though, I’m just overly protective of Hubert. I think he’s much, much better than most give him credit for. 

I didn't mean slower than Lysithea, I meant "slower than he actually is." I actually do not think Lysithea is much better than him outside of getting warp, but combat-wise I think they're basically equal until you get Thrysus. She's overrated.

And I agree that Hubert is quite good. Even at really bad speed, his attack is so high that it doesn't really matter much - everything he didn't outright one-shot by the end he was bringing so low that even my weak Linhardt could take them out. He's a great unit.