Unpopular Smash Opinions; again, be civil

Perkilator

Have an unpopular opinion on the Smash series? Well, here, you can express any thoughts you have that others don't. My only request is that you are civil about and don't start any unnecessary arguments.

One of mine? Creating a unique Target Test for each character as the roster increases would be a waste of resources that could be used for quality control.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a option to disable smash attacks from ''smashing'' control stick. Just a option. I know how it is a series classic and all but..It just sucks when you try a quick react and it ends up being a smash attack (but I'm a Smash Newbie, so it might as well be lack of practice).

While having character from other franchise is fine, having character that simbolize a direct competitor goes againist the celebration of Nintendo's History theme of Super Smash Bros.

Cloud in smash is like UK celebrating the 4th July as a national holyday.

Edited by Flere210

Link should be left-handed. I know that it was to match him being right-handed in Breath of the Wild, but he should never have been right-handed in Breath of the WIld. Link is the left-handed hero; he's the only hero people actually know about who is left-handed. 

I don't mind the amount of FE swordsmen in Smash Bros; I just dislike that the majority of them have movesets derived from Marth. Marth, Roy, Lucina, and now Chrom. At least Corrin, Ike and Robin bring something different to the table. I'm not sure if this one counts as unpopular. 

22 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I like to play 4-Player Free-for-alls, with items and stage hazards on. Also, competitive smash is boring as hell to watch.

Basically this, but the only item for me is the Smash Ball, since the CPU LOVES to spam those.

20 minutes ago, Etheus said:

It's not Sakurai's fault that so many relevant protagonists wield swords, and there is no such thing as too many of them.

It kinda is when there are alternatives. Like why Corrin and not Azura for example. He could have made Alucard or Soma as the castlevania rep, but instead we got simon. And i don't know well DQ fanbase, but i am quite sure that there are more popular characters than the featureless protagonist.

I get that some franchise don't have any option other than swordsman(like, if it was not Cloud, it would be Terra, WoL, Cecil or Chrono. Everyone is an anime swordsman), but exactly for this reason there is no reason to use them when you have alternative. But then, i kinda hate the "protagonist always use a sword" trope.

As for my unpopular opinions, imo "everyone is here" was a terrible decision, because some characters are just meaningless and shouldn't exist, or just be skins. Like, you can make half of the lords Marth's skins and the other half Ike's skins. 

Also, due to the cartoonish and childish nature of most nintendo's IPs, mascottes usually would fit smash better than protagonists, on top of being better rapresentative of a Saga instead of a game.

33 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

It kinda is when there are alternatives. Like why Corrin and not Azura for example. He could have made Alucard or Soma as the castlevania rep, but instead we got simon. And i don't know well DQ fanbase, but i am quite sure that there are more popular characters than the featureless protagonist.

I get that some franchise don't have any option other than swordsman(like, if it was not Cloud, it would be Terra, WoL, Cecil or Chrono. Everyone is an anime swordsman), but exactly for this reason there is no reason to use them when you have alternative. But then, i kinda hate the "protagonist always use a sword" trope.

As for my unpopular opinions, imo "everyone is here" was a terrible decision, because some characters are just meaningless and shouldn't exist, or just be skins. Like, you can make half of the lords Marth's skins and the other half Ike's skins. 

Also, due to the cartoonish and childish nature of most nintendo's IPs, mascottes usually would fit smash better than protagonists, on top of being better rapresentative of a Saga instead of a game.

It's easy to poke at Corrin, because Corrin was the one obvious misstep. No one even likes Corrin. It should have been Azura.

Edited by Etheus

On 9/2/2019 at 7:14 PM, Etheus said:

It's easy to poke at Corrin, because Corrin was the one obvious misstep. No one even likes Corrin. It should have been Azura.

At least Corrin is relatively creative though, because of all the dragon-shapeshifting in his attacks. Don't get me wrong, Azura would have been even more creative. 

On 9/2/2019 at 6:40 PM, Flere210 said:

But then, i kinda hate the "protagonist always use a sword" trope.

To an extent; I hear you. It is pretty much everywhere. Plus, most heroes start off as complete newbies when it comes to combat, and swordsmanship requires a lot of training. I should know; I'm a HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) practitioner. 

However, there is one thing about the sword that separates it from almost every other melee weapon and kind-of justifies the trope: it's a sidearm. It's one of few melee weapons that a person can reasonably carry around with them at all times. 

Still; I agree that it would be good to see more protagonists using other weapons instead. 

Expanding on the Target Test thing I said earlier; I would only want to make unique Target Tests for Piranha Plant and the 5 Fighter Pass characters. And I say that knowing full and well there are possibly 10 more DLC fighters on the way.

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion: The canon reason of the fighters being toys is better than the actual fighter showing up. Smash has fucked continuity and it makes no sense why 98% of the roster don't do more than their limited moveset. Them being toys remedies the size inconsistencies ((wtf is Little Mac)), character inconsistencies, ability inconsistencies, strength inconsistencies, all of that.

On 9/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, Flere210 said:

Corrin is the main character. Azura does not compare, she does nothing but spam plot devices out of the ass. She doesn't even get a personal plot relevant weapon. Azura was the ad character briefly and then she dropped out of that. Corrin is the default representation of Fates. 

Hero are the main protagonists. No other character compares in DQ.

Also fuck no is Alucard ever getting in over a Belmont. A Belmont is significantly more popular, iconic and the entire franchise hinges on the Belmont v Dracula legacy. Alucard's nothing but a byproduct of that.

• 4 weeks later...

DK Rap should’ve gotten a new remix to make up for its Melee remix’s butchering in Smash 4. I even made lyrics for it:

Spoiler

D.K. Rap (Modern) Lyrics

He-he-here we go!

So they’re finally here,

Performin’ for you;

if ya know the words

you can join in too!

Put yo hands together

if you want to clap

as we take ya through

this monkey rap! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

He’s the leader of the bunch

you know him well;

he’s finally back

to kick some tail!

(Monkey screeching with bongos)

His coconut gun

Can fire in spurts

If he shoots ya

It’s gonna hurt!

He’s bigger, faster,

And stronger too

He’s the first member

Of the D.K. crew! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong is here!

(Saxophone blare)

This Kong’s got style

So listen up, dudes!

She can shrink her size

To suit her mood

(Saxophone break)

She’s quick and nimble

When she needs ta be

She can float in the air

And climb up trees!

(Saxophone break)

If you choose her

You’ll not choose wrong

With a skip and a hop

She’s one cool Kong! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

(Weak trumpet plays with bongos)

Ain’t got no style

Ain’t got no grace

But this Kong’s

Got a funny face!

He can handstand

When he needs to

And stretch his arms out

Just for you

(Weak trumpet blare)

He inflates himself

Just like a balloon

This crazy Kong

Just digs this tune! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

(Guitar riff with saxophones)

He’s back again

And about time, too!

And this time—

He’s in the mood!

When he flies up high

With his jet pack on

And with his pistols out

He’s one tough Kong!

(Guitar and saxophone break, with a hint of Stickerbrush Symphony)

He’ll make ya smile

When he plays his tune

But Kremlings beware

‘Cause he’ll stomp on you! Huh!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Diddy Kong!

(Drums interrupt with a backing triangle)

Finally,

He’s here for you!

It’s the last member

Of the D.K. crew!

This lug’s so strong

It isn’t funny

He’ll make a Kremling

Run for his mummy

(Triangle break with backing drums)

Pickin’ up boulders

Is relative ease

Makes crushin’ rocks

Seem such a breeze

Can’t move too fast

Or jump up high

But this Kong’s

One hell of a guy! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong is here!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong is here!

(Come on Cranky,

Take it to the fridge!)

W-w-w-walnuts, peanuts,

Pineapple smells

Grapes, melons, oranges,

And coconut shells!

Ah yeah!

W-w-w-walnuts, peanuts,

Pineapple smells

Grapes, melons, oranges,

And coconut shells!

Ah yeah!

(A Klump blows up the set, and the songs starts over)

10 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Chrom and Lucina shouldn't have been added and Robin should be the only FE Awakening rep.

As a Chrom main, I kind of agree.

But then, I'm hoping that if we get another Smash and it reboots the series, it will treat Fire Emblem characters with the same weapon type the same way it treats Dragon Quest's Hero.

37 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

May I ask why you think this? Honestly curious, really.

Because Awakening didn't need three characters when there are several FE games in the series that have little to nothing in Smash. Also, they're more Marth (based) clones while Robin is unique. Chrom may be considered a Roy echo, but Roy was originally a Marth clone and is now more Luigified. If anymore FE clones had to be in, it should've been Black Knight as an Ike echo instead imo. Not just because of my Tellius bias either. Awakening having one or two characters and Tellius having one or two characters as well is more even. And for unique movesets, Hector or Ephraim are popular options. A unique character would obviously take more time to make than a clone, but I'm willing to sacrifice two clones for one unique character.

Also, I just don't like Chrom or Lucina as characters either, honestly. Robin I'm cool with.

46 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Because Awakening didn't need three characters when there are several FE games in the series that have little to nothing in Smash. Also, they're more Marth (based) clones while Robin is unique. Chrom may be considered a Roy echo, but Roy was originally a Marth clone and is now more Luigified. If anymore FE clones had to be in, it should've been Black Knight as an Ike echo instead imo. Not just because of my Tellius bias either. Awakening having one or two characters and Tellius having one or two characters as well is more even. And for unique movesets, Hector or Ephraim are popular options. A unique character would obviously take more time to make than a clone, but I'm willing to sacrifice two clones for one unique character.

Also, I just don't like Chrom or Lucina as characters either, honestly. Robin I'm cool with.

Tbh, not every FE game has a legacy worthy of Smash representation (at risk of angering people, Thracia, Geneology, and Sacred Stones currently don't unless future remakes warrant it), and that would only make the Smash community more angry.

Lucina would have also been a really good addition as a Marth alt costume. In every sense, it is fitting for her character.

Personally, when Smash 6 rolls around, I'm hoping that this will be our FE roster:

Lord/Fast Sword: Marth (alt Lucina)

Great Lord/Heavy Sword: Ike (alt .... I don't know... maybe Mareeta)

Axe: Edelgard (alt Hector)

Spear: Dimitri (alt Azura)

Bow: Claude (alt. Lyn)

Tome: Robin (alt. Celica)

That would be a pretty damn good balance of male/female versions of each moveset and game representation, with all unique movesets.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Tbh, not every FE game has a legacy worthy of Smash representation (at risk of angering people, Thracia, Geneology, and Sacred Stones currently don't unless future remakes warrant it), and that would only make the Smash community more angry.

Lucina would have also been a really good addition as a Marth alt costume. In every sense, it is fitting for her character.

Personally, when Smash 6 rolls around, I'm hoping that this will be our FE roster:

Lord/Fast Sword: Marth (alt Lucina)

Great Lord/Heavy Sword: Ike (alt .... I don't know... maybe Mareeta)

Axe: Edelgard (alt Hector)

Spear: Dimitri (alt Azura)

Bow: Claude (alt. Lyn)

Tome: Robin (alt. Celica)

That would be a pretty damn good balance of male/female versions of each moveset and game representation, with all unique movesets.

This sounds good to me. Though as I said, I'd make the Ike alt BK. They literally share the same sword style because Greil taught them both.

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Would honestly prefer to have BK as a boss. His legacy deserves it. 

That's true, but we don't have a playable FE antagonist yet while several other franchises have playable antagonists. And I just really like BK, I'd love to play as him. xP