Jump to content
Gerd0

Is the Final Boss Well Designed?

Recommended Posts

So I recently finished FE12 for the first time on Hard, and I'm not sure how I feel about Medeus. I get that he's supposed to be difficult, but he was able to one-round or one-shot literally everyone on my team except Est (because she had enough speed). I basically had to suicide a bunch of people on to him to take him down.

 

I feel like his speed being that high is absurd. Since stat caps are tied to the class, this basically makes it so only a few classes are actually viable against him. I'm sure the intention here is to encourage you to mess around with reclassing, but I think locking entire classes out of being usable against him is pushing it. Worst case scenario, I can see this boss becoming completely unbeatable (on harder difficulties at least) if you don't have the right resources with you.

 

Thoughts? Or am I just being salty because my Palla died to a 2% crit halfway through the map? (I was recording for my LP and didn't want to reset, but this killed my plan of triangle attacking him.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The map is  decently designed for a final boss encounter but I can't say the same for a boss that requires crit rigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you completely neglected Marth and didn't recruit the princesses around Medeus, you should be able to eke a win out somehow.

Falchion's strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never forget that you could have played on a lower difficulty. Unfortunately they give you the option, but don't show you how powerful the enemies will be.

Edited by Fates-Blade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is an extreme boss to deal with if you aren't ready for him, but if are expecting this monstrosity at the end there are ways of preparing for him. One thing that helps is saving those speed bonds and speed potions just for this map to bring more classes into the usable range. Medeus has even been beaten on a 0% growths no crit rigging Lunatic reverse run, which I take as a solid indication that the fight isn't too broken, but it is a challenging fight.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, eclipse said:

Unless you completely neglected Marth and didn't recruit the princesses around Medeus, you should be able to eke a win out somehow.

Falchion's strong.

I only kinda neglected Marth. He was able to help with some of the other dragons on the map, but he didn't have enough speed to not get one-rounded by Medeus. I did recruit the princesses, but all of the people needed to recruit them were huge liabilities in during the map since I wasn't really using them much aside from Sirius who I had stopped using extensively around the halfway point.

 

10 hours ago, Fates-Blade said:

Never forget that you could have played on a lower difficulty. Unfortunately they give you the option, but don't show you how powerful the enemies will be.

True. I did Shadow Dragon on H3 for my first run, so I formed my expectations somewhat around that. But at least in that game you can cheese the final map pretty easily. Wasn't ready for this on top of needing to recruit 4 people and somewhat unpredictable ambush spawns happening every turn next to him.

 

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

He is an extreme boss to deal with if you aren't ready for him, but if are expecting this monstrosity at the end there are ways of preparing for him. One thing that helps is saving those speed bonds and speed potions just for this map to bring more classes into the usable range. Medeus has even been beaten on a 0% growths no crit rigging Lunatic reverse run, which I take as a solid indication that the fight isn't too broken, but it is a challenging fight.

 

 

Aren't you not able to break caps by using those items? I'm pretty sure I tried that. I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gerd0 said:

Aren't you not able to break caps by using those items? I'm pretty sure I tried that. I could be wrong.

Oh shoot it looks like you are right. With the way it displays as a plus on the side I thought it would break caps like other bonuses that display the same way, like star shards, the star sphere, the shield of sealing, dragon stone buffs, and pure water but it doesn't. Even if you cheese things by class swapping into one that they aren't capped on a stat use it and swap back it drops the bonus to 0 (or if you only need 1 to cap and use it or class change over to one that only needs 1 it will only give +1).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gerd0 said:

I only kinda neglected Marth. He was able to help with some of the other dragons on the map, but he didn't have enough speed to not get one-rounded by Medeus. I did recruit the princesses, but all of the people needed to recruit them were huge liabilities in during the map since I wasn't really using them much aside from Sirius who I had stopped using extensively around the halfway point.

If you can recruit the princesses, you can staff-abuse heavily.  Warp/Rescue/Again are NOT to be underestimated (but check everyone's staff ranks).  Marth's biggest hurdle is his speed, followed by his HP/Def.  If he can survive a round with Medeus, you can patch him up and have him go again.

Not sure if Nagi's Divinestone is capable of chunking Medeus (it did in SD).  You can always shove every last stat booster on her if you don't mind turning her into a sacrifice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eclipse said:

 

Not sure if Nagi's Divinestone is capable of chunking Medeus (it did in SD).  You can always shove every last stat booster on her if you don't mind turning her into a sacrifice.

Divinestone isn't effective against Medeus in New Mystery, and at speed cap Manaketes get doubled on Maniac and above if they use it (on Maniac it is possible to use the Wyvernstone to avoid doubling and still deal some damage, but on Lunatic and Lunatic Reverse the Wyvernstone isn't available, and he deals exactly the HP cap damage after doubling against a Manakete with capped Def using the Divinestone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Divinestone isn't effective against Medeus in New Mystery, and at speed cap Manaketes get doubled on Maniac and above if they use it (on Maniac it is possible to use the Wyvernstone to avoid doubling and still deal some damage, but on Lunatic and Lunatic Reverse the Wyvernstone isn't available, and he deals exactly the HP cap damage after doubling against a Manakete with capped Def using the Divinestone).

I believe this is a Hard run.  Still not sure if it would be doable for TC, though - requires visiting a secret shop only accessible via Warp.

Edited by eclipse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, eclipse said:

I believe this is a Hard run.  Still not sure if it would be doable for TC, though - requires visiting a secret shop only accessible via Warp.

Yeah, I didn't visit any secret shops since I was playing blind. Was not about to guess on every mildly suspicious tile in every map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...