What new classes would you like to see in the next FE

ciphertul

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a simple man. Stop removing halberdiers (or the equivalents) and I'll be happy.

But in terms of new classes, I would like for fists to become more of a mainstay. Remove the bulky gauntlets of 3 houses and change them to regular armored gauntlets. 

Add an armored fist class. Add a sword & fist class. Add a lance & fist class. And a dagger & fist class. All of the fisting!

Assuming a class structure like Sacred Stones or Fateswakening...

Privateer as a promotion for Pirates and Thieves.

6 move, with all water tiles costing 2 each (so, 3 move across water).

Stat distribution: Great HP, good Attack and Speed, okay Skill Luck and Defense, poor Magic and Resistance.

Weapons: Axes (C), Swords (D)

Class Skill: Steal/Lockpick

Learned skill (lv. 5): Sea Legs, grants +5 Attack Speed when attacking from a water tile. Infantry only.

Learned skill (lv. 15): Shanty, restore all HP after being refreshed (i.e. danced for).

Originally I just wanted a Pirate promotion that uses swords, then the thief utility bit came to me. I figure this could work well if we started getting maps with more water tiles again. In this structure, I'm thinking Berserker would still be good at mountain-walking, but not water-walking. Also it'll definitely be slower than any other Thief promotions.

I fully agree on Haly best class by far.

Kirin Knight (promotes from Valkyrie)

8 move-mounted (no-dismount)

stats- Good Hp and Def, average Str and Mag, Low Skl, high Spd and Res

Weapons- Staffs, Light magic and Swords

skill- Boon, removes status effects and debuffs from adjacent allies at start of turn

Basically a solid and mobile frontline healer

With brawling being an official thing now, can we finally make a proper DnD-style monk class?  I'm talking hand-to-hand, polearm fighting, ki control... the works.  I don't care if people confuse it with the light magic wielding class in the GBA games, DnD monks are badass.  And they'd be especially badass in a 2RN system, because they'd obviously be geared towards dodge-tanking.

Also would like to see them do more with rogue types and knives.  I'm not quite talking like in Fates where knives were throwing weapons that debuffed enemies, I mean as in it's a weak weapon in normal combat but under certain conditions is basically a one-shot-kill.  Maybe akin to Lethality, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a sneak attack critical.  Of course, I don't know how it'd be implemented other than if your unit attacks first.

I'm sure most of the posts will be new classes but I'd be more interested in them scaling back flying classes. 16 games and they're consistently the best units and usually by a huge margin, at least attempt to nerf them at some point.

There's a lot of ways you can try, whether it's lower stat caps (3 houses what were you thinking), lower growths, bringing back ballistas. Obviously dismounting needs to take your action for the turn, super canto needs to disappear again, and they certainly didn't need innate avoid bonuses. I also wish they'd play around with movement penalty "terrain" for aerial units more, but it took 14 games for them to try that so I'm not holding my breath. 

3 minutes ago, Boomhauer007 said:

I'm sure most of the posts will be new classes but I'd be more interested in them scaling back flying classes. 16 games and they're consistently the best units and usually by a huge margin, at least attempt to nerf them at some point.

There's a lot of ways you can try, whether it's lower stat caps (3 houses what were you thinking), lower growths, bringing back ballistas. Obviously dismounting needs to take your action for the turn, super canto needs to disappear again, and they certainly didn't need innate avoid bonuses. I also wish they'd play around with movement penalty "terrain" for aerial units more, but it took 14 games for them to try that so I'm not holding my breath. 

They should do like shining force. +15% defense on pretty much every terrain and 30% on forests. Most terrains gives nothing in fe meaning you rarely have any advantage at all compared to flyers. 

Even WL would look frail when they lack a 30% boost from terrain(to put into perspective, in the lategame of an average FE is around 6 points.)

Well discounting 3H WL and FK I don’t think they are too strong. I hope future FE get rid of dismounting or make it a one and done thing. Like you got of your wyvern in the middle of the battle, that’s it your on foot now.

To my knowledge, I have yet to see a class that explicitly focuses on magic and bows or axes. That would be something. Or bring some of the stranger combos (i.e. armored staff) from Heroes into the main series.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster
Addition

8 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

To my knowledge, I have yet to see a class that explicitly focuses on magic and bows or axes. That would be something. Or bring some of the stranger combos (i.e. armored staff) from Heroes into the main series.

They did do an axe/magic unit the Oni Chieftain from fate, which while a novel idea was very bad in practice... if they changed up the growths and/or skill to make them something different like drop their Def and Res but boost their Str and Mag to make them a dual type glass cannon.

12 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

They did do an axe/magic unit the Oni Chieftain from fate, which while a novel idea was very bad in practice... if they changed up the growths and/or skill to make them something different like drop their Def and Res but boost their Str and Mag to make them a dual type glass cannon.

Thanks. I can't believe I forgot about that. Then again, I only ever officially designated that role to one character, not counting Annette from 3H of course.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster
Thanks

A new class: Commander

Class Proficiency: Lances, Authority

Stat Growths: Balanced stat growths overall, though with the highest growth going to charm. 

Description: A way to bring back Halberdiers while also reimagining them so that they can do more. Basically, this class would specialize in taking advantage of battalions while also being a lance-proficient class with a non-negative speed growth. 

1 hour ago, Boomhauer007 said:

Honestly I've considered a topic that asks, "is it even possible to balance around fliers?" Being able to ignore terrain costs is practically a sanctioned "walk through walls" cheat, and can trivialize otherwise good map design almost as hard as the warp staff. 

Re: penalty terrain for fliers, Radiant Dawn did use clouds in II-P, and Conquest had that one Hinoka map, but there hasn't been much else. Hm... what about a map that used Mr. Fuga's wild winds, but in a way that only affected fliers? Like, if the wind is blowing from the north, then moving north one tile costs 3 move instead of 1. I don't think Fire Emblem has done asymmetric tiles (that cost more to cross one way than the other, or are even impassible in one direction), but I would love to see it.

aside from bringing back halberdiers, im most interested in them bringing in more armoured class variations. no need to overload mind, but if generals are going to lean into lances and axes nowadays i would prefer if they introduced some armoured classes wielding other weapons to balance things out. The possibility of some interesting mixed armoured classes would also be fun, say an armoured flying class or a puppet armoured class thing (aka the mechanist but instead of horse its armour). daggers and fists continuing and having more prominence would be nice as well.

Want Halberdiers/Sentinels back. As for new classes, Necromancer, Swashbuckler (Basically pirate but fast with low def), Elementalist (controls spirits to fight for him/her), Shapeshifter (like laguz but can turn into any animal).

I'd like to see a summoner class

I've always wondered if we could get a class that could temporarily gain control of an enemy for a turn or 2.

Mostly I just want an armored mage class

And yeah, I want some more enemy like classes, like pirates with their water walk ability, but can use swords and maybe have their own weapon type.

Edited by Captain Karnage

I want a pet.  Think of FE8's Mauthe Doogs, but tame, small, and cute.  Feed the little guy, and let him loose.  Super-effective versus cavalry because its movements spook the horse.  Also super-effective versus mages, because it's hard to concentrate when there's a cute little doggy in front of you~!

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

I want a pet.  Think of FE8's Mauthe Doogs, but tame, small, and cute.  Feed the little guy, and let him loose.  Super-effective versus cavalry because its movements spook the horse.  Also super-effective versus mages, because it's hard to concentrate when there's a cute little doggy in front of you~!

How about implementing that as a tamer in a game with an improved version of TH monster mechanics. More monster variety. Use a class skill to tame a monster, and said monster would have its own progression and even suffer from perma-death (on classic).

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

How about implementing that as a tamer in a game with an improved version of TH monster mechanics. More monster variety. Use a class skill to tame a monster, and said monster would have its own progression and even suffer from perma-death (on classic).

Huh, that might work.  Different animals have different specialties.  The hyperactive puppy can ruin cavalry formations, while the armadillo refuses to die.

Perhaps have the different animals join up after certain events, and make it so that you can only take two to battle or something?

Edited by eclipse

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Huh, that might work.  Different animals have different specialties.  The hyperactive puppy can ruin cavalry formations, while the armadillo refuses to die.

Yes. And you could only have one per mission, but could store unused ones to choose in Preparation.

To tame a monster, break its barrier, then use the skill.

And the monsters could range from adorable to cool to scary. Appealing to all tastes.

Edit:

Also, having a kennel at the camp/base/whatever to play with the monsters, train them, etc. would just be great.

Edited by Etheus

That would be hard to get used too. You could give them unique skills that may break the game, like maybe a giant bird could ferry 2 unmounted allies its movement range, that would take its turn but that would really help low movement characters. Ferry not rescue so the ferried units could still acted