What are your childhood favourite movies?

Benice

I'm not talking about movies that you'd have watched when you were 12 or 13, I'm talking the true golden age for movies: When you're about 6 or so and your memories are weird and fuzzy; what were your favourite movies as a child?

For me, I loved Cars 1, (CARS 2 IS NOT CANON FIGHT ME) the swan princess and the great mouse detective, and those were basically the three movies that I watched during car trips.

What about you guys? What movies give you nostalgia just from hearing the title?

I do not think I cared about movies when I was 6. Movie appreciation did not come until I got older. I think Tarzan came out when I was around 6, and I did not care too much about it. I remember seeing a lot of Disney movies at my friend's house when I was a kid. I enjoyed all of them for sure, but the reason I like them then and the reason I liked them now are different. When I watched them back then, I like the colors and vibrancy. When I watch them now, I enjoy the wholesomeness.

I did enjoy watching Toy Story when I was a kid, but I am not sure I cared much about it back then, but I do appreciate it to a much greater extent now though.

If we move away from strictly movies to just media on screen, then my favorites would probably Tom and Jerry and Power Rangers. I love Tom and Jerry as a kid because it was really funny, although when I watch it now, I unfortunately outgrew the humor and I do not really get it anymore. I also really liked Power Rangers because of the action and giants robots.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I did enjoy watching Toy Story when I was a kid, but I am not sure I cared much about it back then, but I do appreciate it to a much greater extent now though

Same for me, that was the movie I watched endlessly as a kid, as well as the second.

Now that I'm older I really appreciate how well done those movies were, and I get the jokes, refrences, and the lessons it tried to show you like not giving up when you're at the worst part

And Scooby Doo on Zombie Island, which is on Netflix rn if anyone is curious 

Edited by Captain Karnage

Beauty and the Beast is the first movie I actually remember watching over and over again as a kid (though any kids movies I had were given to me by a grandaunt so I didn't have a bunch of movies).  Aladdin was also one I loved.  

Boy looking back on everything I was a fan of as a kid makes me remember how serious of a movie watcher I was.  I’ll try and list everything up to when I turned 8 and that should be a decent cutoff point, I think.  Anyway, here are the live action ones and animated ones that I have nothing but fond memories of separated for your convenience:

Star Wars Episode IV-VI (I was 11 when Episode 1 came out)
E.T. The Extraterrestrial
Good Burger (Yes, this came out when I was 9 but still.)
Space Jam
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Wizard of Oz
Muppet Treasure Island
The Great Muppet Caper
The Muppets Take Manhattan
The Dark Crystal
Jumanji
Hook
Home Alone
Jurassic Park
The Indian in the Cupboard
Independence Day
Jingle All the Way (Come on, don’t act like the one liners don’t make this movie entertaining.)
Mars Attacks!

Just a bit of an outlier from this list, but Dune ’84 is another one I’d add.  No, not because I thought it was a good movie, rather because this was a “car accident experience” for me when I watched it. Basically, watching this movie was like being in a car accident.  It’s something I found myself wishing I never went through, but it was an experience that I was never able to forget and stuck with me long after getting through it.  How much so?  When I was finally old enough to read and appreciate the book, I still visualized the story with the way this movie did it all those years ago.

Animated time!
The Land Before Time
A Boy Named Charlie Brown
Snoopy, Come Home
The Jungle Book ’67 version
Fantasia
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
The Rescuers Down Under
101 Dalmatians
The Sword and the Stone
The Fox and the Hound
The Great Mouse Detective
Aladdin
The Lion King
We’re Back a Dinosaurs Tale
The Swan Princess
Toy Story (Anything past this one is where it starts to go beyond the threshold.  Toy Story 2 and A Bugs Life would qualify otherwise.)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
James and the Giant Peach
Pocahontas
FernGully: The Last Rainforest (Aw come on, it’s not shallow environmentalist fluff.)

And here’s the stuff that I actually did watch pretty often when I was younger, but I’m not sure how I would react if I returned to it now:

Once Upon A Forest (Probably innocent enough, but I don’t know if it has much else going for it
Thumbelina (I don’t remember anything awful about this movie, but I don’t know if it was that remarkable either.)
The Pebble and the Penguin (I think it was around this movie that Don Bluth’s career had unfortunately started to take a bad turn, I really hope it wasn’t because the movie was that much worse than I remember it being.)
The Return of Jaffar (Iago was my favorite character from the original and I was happy to see him become a good guy.  Not sure I remember a lot else being all that great.)
Aladdin and the King of Thieves (At least this one is considered one of the better direct to video sequels back in the day, maybe the revisit to this one wouldn’t be so bad.)
The Princess and the Goblin (I’d be alright revisiting the animation which by ’92 was definitely dated in here, though I think the story might have been done better elsewhere.)
Casper (I watched this pretty often when I was younger but it seems to have a mixed reception to say the least under current observation.  I’d probably need to see what causes it.)
A Kid in King Arthur’s Court ( I wasn’t old enough to watch Excalibur, so this was one of the few alternatives to the King Arthur legend I had back in the day.)

Man, all you saying you saw Tarzan as wee youngin's are making me feel old, and I'm only 27! 😛 

Anyway, There's quite a few nostalgic movies like this for me. Star Wars 4-6 (special editions), and 1 all hit before I was even 10, so I got quite the Star Wars love when I was young. Other live action things like Home Alone, The Santa Clause, Space Jam, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppet Christmas Carol, Homeward Bound, Born to be Wild, Little Giants, Richie Rich, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and more strike a cord with me.

For animated, pretty much anything Disney did from The Little Mermaid up until The Emperor's New Groove was something I watched frequently, as well as some even older than that, such as Robin Hood, The Great Mouse Detective, 101 Dalmatians, and The Aristocats. Non-Disney movies I watched were All Dogs Go to Heaven, FernGully, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, Pixar's Toy Story, A Bug's Life, and Monster's, Inc. Gumby was another thing I was completely hooked on. When I was 10, I got super into the 2003 Ninja Turtles cartoon. I don't watch all of those things anymore, but quite a few of them (Disney, Pixar, All Dogs, Gumby, Ninja Turtles) are still things I like.

1 hour ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

The Pebble and the Penguin (I think it was around this movie that Don Bluth’s career had unfortunately started to take a bad turn, I really hope it wasn’t because the movie was that much worse than I remember it being.)

Oh, trust me, there were FAR worse things in his catalog at that time. Troll in Central Park comes to mind.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:38 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Man, all you saying you saw Tarzan as wee youngin's are making me feel old, and I'm only 27! 😛 

No need to worry. I will join you soon.

Shrek, the Lion King & the Incredibles are movies that I watched religiously as a child. I also remember watching Paprika at a very young age. Probably shouldn't have watched it so young but in the Netherlands they apparently think it is suited for all ages.