Documenting every Fire Emblem game

TwoFigs

Hey everybody, so in my first topic I said I bought the Thracia 776 Deluxe Pack, (thanks to everyone who helped me out with the issue I was having with it by the way, the game works like a charm now!) and this past weekend, I spent some time scanning everything in the Deluxe Pack, because aside from a few videos, the Thracia 776 Deluxe Pack is not documented very well. Heck, hardly at all. It got me thinking: What other Fire Emblem games could use scans or photographs? I did some research, and honestly, there's not a lot of good scans of boxes, instruction booklets, etc. of hardly any Fire Emblem game. There's some good scans of the of Genealogy of the Holy War instruction booklet, along with some other games, but for the most part, they are very poor quality.

Sooo... I was thinking I might take up the daunting task of scanning and documenting every Fire Emblem game. In high-quality. The only Fire Emblem game I don't have in my collection is the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition, but after that I will have a complete collection of all Fire Emblem games (with special editions for the ones that have one), so once I have Fates, I'll be able to complete all of the documentation, but since there's so much to do, I figured I might as well at least get started, right? And when everything is completed, maybe I could start translating the ones that are only in Japanese. I wouldn't be able to do it alone though, I took four years of Japanese in high school but has been over 4 years since then and... yeah I'm not that fluent anymore.

I think it would be a great way to give back to the Fire Emblem community. Heck, I think it would be great if the pages for each of the games here on Serenes Forest had pdfs of all of this stuff in each game under the Media section, if the mods of the site will allow it. The instruction booklets and other media in these games (especially special/limited editions) have so much interesting art and details from these games that are so hard to find anywhere else. Fire Emblem is my favorite video game series, and I want everyone to be able to share and live that passion. I mean, that's why we're all in this forum, right? So, I'll probably continue to scan these games every weekend or so (I'm an art teacher for a living, so it doesn't leave me too much time, especially since I still have video games I want to play), so in the meantime, I wanted to ask, does anyone know the best way to post or publish all of the media I obtain from scanning and taking photos of each game? I'm gonna worry about formatting once I actually have everything photographed and written down, but I kinda just wanted to see the road ahead, and just talk to anyone who is interested in me pursuing this project, or maybe even is willing to help! Well, I already have Thracia 776 done, so that's 15 down, 16 more to go!

4 hours ago, TwoFigs said:

Heck, I think it would be great if the pages for each of the games here on Serenes Forest had pdfs of all of this stuff in each game under the Media section, if the mods of the site will allow it.

Funnily enough I am fairly certain they used to have just that. I am not entirely sure what changed; I know the great Photo Bucket blurring killed a lot of the scans of these booklets online when I was trying to look them up before, but it could easily be due to copyright concerns as well.

Wow, that sounds like a serious undertaking! I can’t actually y’know, help with anything, but I do want to wish you good luck. If you put your mind to it, I know you can do it!

23 hours ago, TwoFigs said:

so in the meantime, I wanted to ask, does anyone know the best way to post or publish all of the media I obtain from scanning and taking photos of each game?

usually i use https://imgbb.com/ to post images. never had issues before, at least in terms of files deletion and/or watermarks.

it's all pretty clean actually, not sure if there's a limit on files size though.

otherwise, people that worked with scans before can probably adress you to better tools/websites.

23 hours ago, TwoFigs said:

The only Fire Emblem game I don't have in my collection is the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition, but after that I will have a complete collection of all Fire Emblem games (with special editions for the ones that have one)

congratulations, i guess getting all the original copies wasn't an easy task( and probably neither cheap ).

also, good luck with your project. scanning tons of paper material will surely take a while, but if it's for knowledge preservation, it might be worth the effort.

instruction manuals have pretty much become relics of ages past. these days, the only visual/physical content left can be found mostly in artbooks of limited/special editions.

Edited by 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ

Thanks for the tips and encouragement everybody! I'll keep creating posts and comments updating my progress over the course of the project, so maybe follow me if you're interested....... Who know's? maybe my scans will be spread everywhere and will be used by lots of different Fire Emblem Wikis to derive official artwork from in the future. I guess all I can do is give it my best shot. I'm gonna make sure the scans are the highest quality possible without sacrificing a compact file size.

@𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ I also think it's a good way to get my money's worth, because while yeah it has been expensive, now I have a huge enough collection that I can actually make a difference to the Fire Emblem community, which definitely makes all the collecting worth it. Obviously the collection alone is worth it for me because I love instruction booklets and such, but this makes things even better! Binding Blade and Sacred Stones were given to me as gifts, but other than those two games, yeah it was pretty tough collecting them all!

Edited by TwoFigs