Anyone else feel like killing Duma with Nosferatu fits the game's themes more?

We all know it was included as an in-joke essentially with Echoes but considering how the theme ends up being a bit about how Valentia is going to stand tall without it's gods anymore, I feel like (Admittingly I could be wrong) killing Duma with the "mankind" Nosferatu spell (Unless it's stated somewhere that mages/clerics get their magic from the gods and I missed that) rather than a Dragon tooth sword passed down from the gods  (AKA Mankind managing to defeat god with mankind's own power instead of something a god gave them.) kinda fits it more.

So having some (in the grand scheme of things) lowly cleric defeat the god with their own power they've had from the start I feel fits the theme significantly more  (Even if Alm's fatality on Duma is amazing and I'm really glad Kaga decided that for once we actually get a unique finisher animation on the final boss.) as mankind manages to on it's own get the power to challenge their own gods.

Edited by Samz707

The in-game description of nosferatu refers to it as "holy magic that absorbs hp from enemies" which makes me assume it is also a god given power, or at the very least derived from the power of Duma/Mila.

Regardless I still think it works- I don't see the themes being so much about complete independence of man from god, but rather that of man gaining the strength to live on their own thanks to the help of the gods, the way a kid gains independence from their parents. They may be on their own now, but its only thanks to the help of the gods that they made it this far A lot of the final quotes, like Celica thanking Duma for everything the gods have given them thus far, Conrad, Nomah, and Silque seemingly giving Duma respect for all he's done, and of course Duma's dying words permitting Alm and Celica to lead Valentia on their own, taking the lessons taught by both gods into account. Killing Duma with Falchion doesn't undermine that message IMO, since humanity is proclaiming its strength thanks to the help of the gods, but its time for them to make their own way in the world.

killing duma with nosferatu is way more epic though

Edited by Anathaco

Magic is a gift from the 'gods'.

Q3: What is magic in the world of Fire Emblem?

Comment: Originally primitive deities existed at Akaneia and people believed these deities existed in all things. To lead mankind, Gotoh utilised the power of these deities. Magic (both offensive and recovery) is about as advanced as the dragon race’s technology, but it was difficult and dangerous for humans to use. Gotoh convinced humans to borrow the deities’ powers and warned them at the same time. So fire magic comes from the deity of fire, wind magic is borrowed from the deity of wind and etc. Magic is thus the technology where one harnesses energy that exists naturally. Spell books and staves can be thought of as vessels that store this energy. To release this energy requires a certain amount of skill, such as by chanting keywords or through mental control techniques. In order to acquire a sufficient skill level, one must undergo self-training. Prayers to the deities seems to reveal the keywords, while it also raises one’s mental capacity. Meanwhile, to protect the most powerful spells, like Aura or Excalibur, Gotoh attached a contract to them so that only the user could wield them. The same kind of protection was also placed on the Falchion.

Gotoh teached it to humans, basically. At least, for those in Archanea. Duma and Mila likely did the same for the people of Valentia. We do know Mila taught the Ragnarok spell to Zofia at least.

1 hour ago, Anathaco said:

They may be on their own now, but its only thanks to the help of the gods that they made it this far A lot of the final quotes, like Celica thanking Duma for everything the gods have given them thus far, Conrad, Nomah, and Silque seemingly giving Duma respect for all he's done, and of course Duma's dying words permitting Alm and Celica to lead Valentia on their own

dont forget, the credit song is basically that too. a parting song not out of malice, but one with blessing to next generation from the previous gods

Edited by joevar

16 minutes ago, joevar said:

dont forget, the credit song is basically that too. a parting song not out of malice, but one with blessing to next generation from the previous gods

Touche, I never considered that. 

2 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Touche, I never considered that. 

what, you didnt listen to end credit song??! heretics !

Heritors of arcadia > edge of dawn, for credit song

Edited by joevar

I think it is more thematically appropriate, but not for that theme: having Duma get finished off by Celica using Nosferatu helps somewhat alleviate her being overshadowed (if only in gameplay), helping with the theme of duality and working together that was all over the marketing and the intro but was negated by how the plot treated Alm and Celica.

I think the Log with Robin as a Knight is most fitting, because the log is hilarious. 

I jest. In reality, while it is interesting, I think it more depends on how you see the series up to that point. Dragons are presented as having both benevolent and malevolent. Killing Duma through mankind's own means represents their ability to stand without the gods, but Naga appears to wish for mankind to exist without her, and gave us the flachion as a means to do so. I personally prefer Robin killing Grima as it kills him for good, and doesn't just leave him to be dealt with at some later date.