Scaled map of Fodlan

Willow-21

1787718380_Fodlanmapsm.png.3cea4a21ac569feaf09ace55ce0d0a1c.png

So this took a hot minute. I took the statement by the creators to do some calculations about area and distances (drew a circle approximately the same area as the map, calculated the diameter based on the stated area of 2/3rds the size of Europe, and then transferred that diameter into distance across the continent) and came up with a roughly to-scale map of Fodlan for distance and travel calculations.

Who doesn't like to do math for fun?

The actual calculations led to a scale of 1in. = 500km rather than 300km, but that would mean a 30 day journey from Garreg Mach to Fort Merceus. So I made it 40% smaller. It's a wonder we're able to get anywhere at all. Based on the fact that thru-hikers typically travel 10 mi (16km) a day, each small box (1/10in) is equal to approximately 2 days of travel on foot or 1 day of travel on walking horseback.

(I also fiddled with the rivers to make them geographically probable.)

I'm also including a version with the approximate locations of different settlements and landmarks.

2022946428_Fodlanmapsmnames.png.29a7d878fa927b027af022f1c1a3bf33.png

I will update as I add more details and refine the project.

Great work The size of Fire Emblem continents is a project I like to dedicate some brainpower towards every now and then. Though in Fodlan's case, the creators can say whatever they want, but the truth presented in the game is that I can travel to Brigid to forge an alliance, fend off an entire invasion from Almyria and take a visit to Sreng all in the same weekend. So Fodlan is at best the size of Fiji.

27 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The only way that what Jotari said makes sense is a fuckton of Warp useage. And that's just silly.

That's some solid math there though, good work @Willow-21

Well an aerial pony express could be a possibility too, if anyone wants to attempt to work out some kind of metric for that. Course that would mean absolute tonne of Pegasus to transport all the battalions too (actually that could have been something interesting to make Paralogues more distinct experiences, since they all reuse maps, Battalions are disabled to highlight that it's a smaller battle taking place further away, well usually, Edelgard repels an entire invasion, which sounds like it's a game unto itself, in hers).

Another travel time metric is that Edelgard does canonically travel to Enbarr from Garrek Mach during the holy tomb month, which does skip over a certain amount of time on the calendar (I can't remember exactly how much even though I've played through this game half a dozen times and always tell myself to check). Paralogues can be dismissed as happening in nebulous time, but her journey to Enbarr is a pretty major part of the plot, so it's travel time should be considered pretty immutable. Course we don't know what travel method Edelgard and Byleth used or exactly how much time they spent hanging around there before heading back, so it does provide some wriggle room. It does provide a maximum size though if you assume they went there and headed straight back.

Edited by Jotari

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Another travel time metric is that Edelgard does canonically travel to Enbarr from Garrek Mach during the holy tomb month, which does skip over a certain amount of time on the calendar (I can't remember exactly how much even though I've played through this game half a dozen times and always tell myself to check).

She uses a week.

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

(actually that could have been something interesting to make Paralogues more distinct experiences, since they all reuse maps, Battalions are disabled to highlight that it's a smaller battle taking place further away, well usually, Edelgard repels an entire invasion, which sounds like it's a game unto itself, in hers).

Imagine!

That actually sounds like an amazing compromise and balancing choice.

55 minutes ago, Whitfield1999 said:

I really hope they set another game in the world of Fodlan.

The fact that they made Judith a Lord baffles and intrigues me. I'd like to see a Thracia 776 style game set during the time skip featuring her as the protagonist just to make sense of this. I have no clue what it would be about since there's basically no established material to work with there (unlike Leif) and her role in Three Houses is pretty minor, nonetheless my need for Lords to be protagonists demands it.

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The fact that they made Judith a Lord baffles and intrigues me. I'd like to see a Thracia 776 style game set during the time skip featuring her as the protagonist just to make sense of this. I have no clue what it would be about since there's basically no established material to work with there (unlike Leif) and her role in Three Houses is pretty minor, nonetheless my need for Lords to be protagonists demands it.

Heck yea dude. A linear fire emblem set in Fodlán would be so sick. I'd buy it in an instant. Probably not very likely, but it would be cool to get a midquel set inbetween the 5 year time skip, like you said! For protagonist, I'm partial to dimitri, cause it sounds like he did a bunch of fighting against the empire in between those 5 years. 

Edited by Whitfield1999

8 minutes ago, Whitfield1999 said:

Heck yea dude. A linear fire emblem set in Fodlán would be so sick. I'd buy it in an instant. Probably not very likely, but it would be cool to get a midquel set inbetween the 5 year time skip, like you said! For protagonist, I'm partial to dimitri, cause it sounds like he did a bunch of fighting against the empire in between those 5 years. 

Doesn't sound like he did a bunch of fighting that would have him a cabal of allies hanging around though. My impression is that he was pretty much fighting solo.

Yeah, FE seems to have a thing for early game route splits now...

Oh and nice job OP! Very well thought out.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well an aerial pony express could be a possibility too, if anyone wants to attempt to work out some kind of metric for that. Course that would mean absolute tonne of Pegasus to transport all the battalions too (actually that could have been something interesting to make Paralogues more distinct experiences, since they all reuse maps, Battalions are disabled to highlight that it's a smaller battle taking place further away, well usually, Edelgard repels an entire invasion, which sounds like it's a game unto itself, in hers).

Those would be some pretty fast Pegasi... *flash back to Ingrid* yeah I can believe it.

Edited by Sooks

9 hours ago, Dayni said:
10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Another travel time metric is that Edelgard does canonically travel to Enbarr from Garrek Mach during the holy tomb month, which does skip over a certain amount of time on the calendar (I can't remember exactly how much even though I've played through this game half a dozen times and always tell myself to check). Paralogues can be dismissed as happening in nebulous time, but her journey to Enbarr is a pretty major part of the plot, so it's travel time should be considered pretty immutable. Course we don't know what travel method Edelgard and Byleth used or exactly how much time they spent hanging around there before heading back, so it does provide some wriggle room. It does provide a maximum size though if you assume they went there and headed straight back.

She uses a week.

I mean, we know that Edelgard and Hubert have access to various warp technology when she's acting as the Flame Emperor (traveling to Remire village, etc. in the middle of a mission) so that probably reduces travel time when they're involved. I would say that there could be a network of warp pads, except that the students don't seem to recognize them in the underground chamber mission when they're rescuing Flayn. 

That said, we do know that a person using the Warp spell can transport both the target and any battalion equipped to them, so that may actually be a possibility for getting people through difficult terrain.