Look at Veld's shiney red tome (remember when free units were special?)

Jotari

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

See that's why I'd prefer he be colourless, because we only have a few units of that status and as far as potential units for that weapon type, he's the perfect fit having a weaponi nThracia that literally has the same name as one of the colourless tomes already existing (well, at least as far as fan translations go).

That's something else that you can chalk up to the localization team in Heroes.

Veld's tome in Thracia is ストーン (sutōn), "Stone".

Veld's tome in Heroes is ストーン (sutōn), "Stone", but was named "Petrify" in English to not conflict with the existing Stone weapon.

The Stone weapon in Heroes is ロック (rokku), "Rock", but was named "Stone" in English because the localization team has zero foresight.

51 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's something else that you can chalk up to the localization team in Heroes.

Veld's tome in Thracia is ストーン (sutōn), "Stone".

Veld's tome in Heroes is ストーン (sutōn), "Stone", but was named "Petrify" in English to not conflict with the existing Stone weapon.

The Stone weapon in Heroes is ロック (rokku), "Rock", but was named "Stone" in English because the localization team has zero foresight.

In their defense Petrify is a better name than Stone for Veld's weapon. At least in English. Suton not being a Japanese word obviously wouldn't sound as basic to its audience as it does to English ears. Just like how they changed the Erefanto ballista to Pachyderm to convey the same idea without sounding silly.

Edited by Jotari

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

In their defense Petrify is a better name than Stone for Veld's weapon. At least in English. Suton not being a Japanese word obviously wouldn't sound as basic to its audience as it does to English ears. Just like how they changed the Erefanto ballista to Pachyderm to convey the same idea without sounding silly.

The main point is that Veld's weapon's name is not the same as the basic colorless tome's name in either language, even if the Japanese name of Veld's weapon matches the English name of the basic colorless tome.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The main point is that Veld's weapon's name is not the same as the basic colorless tome's name in either language, even if the Japanese name of Veld's weapon matches the English name of the basic colorless tome.

Not exactly the same, but stone, rock and petrify are all still quite related ideas. The name isn't the thing in question, it's whether it'd be fitting to have turning something to stone be grouped with hurling stones.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Not exactly the same, but stone, rock and petrify are all still quite related ideas. The name isn't the thing in question, it's whether it'd be fitting to have turning something to stone be grouped with hurling stones.

The point you made in the original post I quoted was solely about the name. The tome effect and animation were not even mentioned until Parrhesia's post, which was posted 10 hours after the post I quoted.

40 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The point you made in the original post I quoted was solely about the name. The tome effect and animation were not even mentioned until Parrhesia's post, which was posted 10 hours after the post I quoted.

Well that's why I mentioned Atlas as well as (the basic) Stone to show that it was more about the idea. Guess I could have made it a bit clearer.

Edited by Jotari