Balthus King of Grappling - Potential Bug?

ck425

Hi All,

I'm currently on a Maddening GD run using the Ashen Wolves and I noticed something strange with Balthus. If I change his class and inspect his base states it states that his base STR and DEF are 29 and 26 respectively. However the actual stats showing are 23 ad 20 respectively plus class modifiers. The difference is 6 for each stat ie what he gets from King of Grappling. Is this a bug or just the way King of Grappling is implemented? Can anyone else see this on their saves? It's the same on my other saves of the same run but I don't have a save handy to try recruiting him from scratch again. At lvl 28 the STR 29 and DEF 26 look roughly right for his bases and growths while the STR 23 and DEF 20 that are showing look way too low but it is possible he's just badly RNG screwed (I've had terrible RNG this playthrough, Byleth just hit lvl 30 and is on SPD 20 😞 ).

It's a shame because I love the character and fist builds but he's just not pulling his weight atm.

Level 28 Balthus has 11+27*0.5 = 24.5 Str and 7+27*0.45 = 19 Def. Class growths may add a couple points to that depending on how you've built him, but... 23/20 sounds closer to average than 29/26 to me (26 in particular would be incredibly lucky for defence, that's 19 gains in 27 levels!).

Interesting how the display is gumming up. I don't recall noticing that, but it's possible I just wasn't looking (I usually only pay attention if I think the certification might lift Balthus's stats, which isn't likely for str/def). I wonder if it happens if he finished the last fight with King of Grappling active?

Oops, I got KOG mixed up with some other skill. It probably is a bug, and I would guess that units, when outside of battle, probably have a "current value" assigned to their HP which the KOG coding detects as being less than or equal to 50% and is therefore active.

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Level 28 Balthus has 11+27*0.5 = 24.5 Str and 7+27*0.45 = 19 Def. Class growths may add a couple points to that depending on how you've built him, but... 23/20 sounds closer to average than 29/26 to me (26 in particular would be incredibly lucky for defence, that's 19 gains in 27 levels!).

Interesting how the display is gumming up. I don't recall noticing that, but it's possible I just wasn't looking (I usually only pay attention if I think the certification might lift Balthus's stats, which isn't likely for str/def). I wonder if it happens if he finished the last fight with King of Grappling active?

Ah I recruited him at lvl 6 with the stats shown here:

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Balthus/Stats#Chapter_6

The auto leveling for specifically chapter 6 recruitment is significantly more generous than standard growths for some reason. Though 18+17*0.5 STR and 13+17*.45 DEF is admittedly average DEF and only a bit below average STR.

So it may be a quirk rather than a bug. I might do a BL run after this if I'm still enjoying it and check. For my DLC save it's the same but the only way to be sure would be to check a fresh recruitment. In the meantime I'll probably farm some STR boosters for him,

18 minutes ago, Agro said:

Oops, I got KOG mixed up with some other skill. It probably is a bug, and I would guess that units, when outside of battle, probably have a "current value" assigned to their HP which the KOG coding detects as being less than or equal to 50% and is therefore active.

Hmm so by that theory the test would be to deliberately finish a battle with over 50% health and see? When I check the preparation screen where Balthus has full health it still occurs.

6 hours ago, ck425 said:

Ah I recruited him at lvl 6 with the stats shown here:

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Balthus/Stats#Chapter_6

The auto leveling for specifically chapter 6 recruitment is significantly more generous than standard growths for some reason. Though 18+17*0.5 STR and 13+17*.45 DEF is admittedly average DEF and only a bit below average STR.

So it may be a quirk rather than a bug. I might do a BL run after this if I'm still enjoying it and check. For my DLC save it's the same but the only way to be sure would be to check a fresh recruitment. In the meantime I'll probably farm some STR boosters for him,

When you recruit units they use enemy class growths for auto leveling. Switch between the views at the top of the page in the link below and see.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/classes/growth-rates/