E3 2021 Hopes/Predictions

I just remembered an E3 2021 hope that I forgot to put on my original list:

I hope for a Valkyria Chronicles 5. Valkyria Chronicles 4 was the game that introduced me to the series, and I thought VC4 was fantastic: the gameplay, the story and the characters were really good, and I'm actually considering getting the remastered version of the first game (once I've finished some of the games that I need to finish) so that I can see how the series began. The game wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it enough that even after I had to stop playing for several months because of university, it was the first game on my list that I went back to and actually finished (I even played the disappointing final mission twice to get the good ending).

For a long time, what little information there was about how well 4 sold suggested that it was a flop, and I really hoped that wasn't the case; I finally just started the series; I didn't want it to end after the game that introduced me to it. The good news is that, apparently, it was revealed in June of last year that the game has sold over 1 million copies worldwide. That's pretty good; hopefully good enough for them to make another game in the series.

Personally, I'm particularly hoping for a game that takes place over 30 years before the rest of the series and takes place in the first Europan War, as I think there's a lot that they can do with that and they've done most of what they can do with the second Europan War stories. But I'd honestly just be happy if a new game gets announced.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Fire Emblem game, be it a remake or a new one, is all I really want shown. (Although I'd really hope for either FE 4, 5, or 6/7. I don't want a Tellius Duology remake until after I can play Genealogy, Thracia, or BB in a remake.) 

Other announcements...I'd love a Rune Factory 5 U.S. and UK release date. I know Dark Deity is coming to E3, so I'm curious as to what they'll share there. (Maybe a Switch version of the game? I know the creators were aiming for that, and while I "helped" Kickstart the game and will receive a copy of said game, I'd prefer to play it on a console.) 

For non-Nintendo stuff, I'd love a Horizon: Forbidden West release date, and maybe a Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order sequel trailer and info. I'd also like information on Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 game, but I feel like it's a little too soon for that. The same goes for EA and anything about the new Mass Effect. It was just announced, so I don't expect to see any updates on that for a couple of years at the least. 

If my final bets are any indication I don't anticipate much from Nintendo. It doesn't sound like MercurySteam is at all still working with Nintendo, so that dashes my hopes of 2D Metroid entirely. And I'm not the type of person to bet on Nintendo bringing back a dead series like F Zero or Star Fox. But I'm sure they'll have one announcement that's not exactly surprising but still excites us. This is the first E3 in years where Pikmin 4 doesn't sound like a joke. A mainline Kirby with new gameplay feels imminent. This feels like the first and last opportunity for us to see Fire Emblem Echoes of The Holy War if that's happening. Or maybe there's a new Ubisoft collaboration game getting announced today. Let them make Star Fox, Nintendo.

Update: well, A mario rabbids sequel is certainly the next best thing. I'll take it.

Edited by Glennstavos

The Squenix presentation was a big oof for sure. I think Gearbox may have the most boring/uncomfortable show so far, but with Square there was real expectations there for most people. The trailers following Guardians of the Galaxy are just bad across the board with their decision to remove the music rather than replace it. I think I heard that companies were encouraged to remove licensed music so that streams of the event wouldn't get copyright claimed, but there had to be a better solution than this. Square owns the music they're using after all. I came into this show with zero hopes and still was disappointed, particularly in the Final Fantasy 1-6 re-releases, and FF Origin game. Because those are immediately likeable ideas that just become miserable moments later in the trailer. And as one final insult the demo for the latter is borked. Nobody can play it.

The rest of E3 today was pretty okay to great. The Outer Worlds 2 Teaser is spot on, and the PC Gaming Show has somehow evolved into a sort of Develolver Digital thing with its own continuity.