What is the appeal of V-Tubers

ciphertul

So I keep getting V-tuber videos in my recommended on YouTube and after trying to watch a couple I just can’t get what people like about. I really can’t find any reason why they have suddenly exploded as of late. Can anyone give me a rundown about why?

6 hours ago, Florete said:

What is the appeal of [anything]-tubers?

Curses, you stole my exact thought process. Are you one of them? A perfect forum poster? A V-user! I have the measure of you robot.

14 hours ago, Florete said:

What is the appeal of [anything]-tubers?

That + cute/sexy anime girl.

It's not that complicated.

Maybe not complicated, but it's worse then how most people use face cam.  The complete lack of shame in what they do is revolting.

48 minutes ago, FailWood said:

Maybe not complicated, but it's worse then how most people use face cam.  The complete lack of shame in what they do is revolting.

How so?

1 hour ago, FailWood said:

Lack of shame? What?

44 minutes ago, Jotari said:

How so?

The fact that they'd rely on cheap sex appeal to draw in people and become successful instead of having the courage to show their true face.  It's the same as those who constantly use women in their thumbnails to get more views.

Florete, do you think they do feel shame?  What they do is disgraceful.

11 minutes ago, FailWood said:

No, I don't, and I don't think they should. I think you should feel shame for having such an opinion.

19 minutes ago, Florete said:

I think you should feel shame for having such an opinion.

I should feel shame for stating such an opinion and for not being a degenerate like those who follow that garbage?  Never.

1 hour ago, FailWood said:

I should feel shame for stating such an opinion and for not being a degenerate like those who follow that garbage?  Never.

"I don't understand this, therefore it's stupid and shameful" is all I'm getting from you.

3 hours ago, FailWood said:

Glad that you don't see the appeal.  If you can't keep your opinions civil, then this isn't the thread for you.

Anyway, exactly zero people posted what the heck a V-tuber is (if I didn't know any better, I'd ask what kind of potato we're dealing with).  I can see why people would want to create videos in this way, because putting your face online opens up all sorts of possibilities, and not the good kind (the people who harass/stalk others are the ones that deserve contempt, for intentionally making someone else's life miserable).  I don't think this sounds like the kind of thing I'd watch, but I might listen to the music if I like it (idol music is more miss than hit for me, so I'm not in a rush to find out).

4 hours ago, FailWood said:

The fact that they'd rely on cheap sex appeal to draw in people and become successful instead of having the courage to show their true face.  It's the same as those who constantly use women in their thumbnails to get more views.

Cheap sex appeal to draw people in has been a staple of advertising since the advent of advertising in itself. Is that good? Well I don't necessarily think so. I think it's mostly neutral, but the only point that really matters is that it works.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Cheap sex appeal to draw people in has been a staple of advertising since the advent of advertising in itself. Is that good? Well I don't necessarily think so. I think it's mostly neutral, but the only point that really matters is that it works.

A sad reality.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Glad that you don't see the appeal.  If you can't keep your opinions civil, then this isn't the thread for you.

Sorry officer.  Curious to know who or what this "potato" you speak of is.

I think the appeal is simple. The appeal of streamers in general is mainly watching a live "event" so to say or live entertainment and being able to interact with the person on the screen either through chat rooms or donations or whatever. It can be very entertaining depending on what you're into. Now, there are also people who really like anime and Japanese games who really enjoy that aesthetic and the characters in those shows/games. V-Tubers are like a combination of those two things. It's an opportunity to watch and interact with what is essentially an anime character live on YouTube (or Twitch).

As to why it's been so popular recently, probably quarantine. Everyone is (or was depending where you are) stuck inside so really all online content creators saw substantial boosts to their audiences.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Anyway, exactly zero people posted what the heck a V-tuber is

A V-Tuber is a person or even an actor, sometimes represented by a talent agency, who uses facial recognition software (think like Snapchat) or sometimes full body rigs that allows them to appear on screen as a 3D model of whatever they want. Usually these models are anime characters and they stream as those characters instead of as themselves.