Summoner Duels

XRay

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

A Save tank can be used to help get multiple of your own units into more forward positions or to cover an attacking unit's retreat, allowing you to sacrifice your Save tank in exchange for keeping your attacker alive and potentially opening up the unit that killed your Save tank to be killed in return.

Ah, I see. I have not thought about that before. But I guess my counter argument would be that would not another nuke still be better, since they are more mobile and have better offensive range? Sure, the Save tank can better protect forward positions of your nukes, so if it is going down, your most forward nukes are still there to exert pressure, but would not replacing the tank with another nuke accomplish similar results? With all nukes, if the opponent initiates, you will most likely lose your most foward nuke, so the amount of space you can pressure gets pushed back a bit, but at the same time, you might be in a more forward position in the first place since you are not waiting for your Save tank to catch up.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

In Summoner Duels S, where you're forced to spread out your good units over multiple teams, it's easier to fit Save tanks into your teams since you're less likely to have enough of the completely overbearing offensive units to completely fill out all of your teams with them.

That is true too. And if the player is bringing a Save tank, I assume the best Save tanks right now would be Edelgard: Adrestian Emperor and Edelgard: Snowfall Future since they do not need their C slot for mobility? On the other hand, since Enemy Phase combat performance is almost irrelevant, can it be argued that almost any Save tank is about as good the first two, since they do not need their Sacred Seal slot for perfomance and can just run Armored Boots instead? I mean, the HP condition on Armored Boots hardly matters at this point, since if you are getting damaged at all, you are probably going to die  very soon within the same round of combat.

The main difference separating those two Edelgards and the rest is that those two Edelgards are less affected by out-of-combat damage from Blazing nukes and Savage Blow, but I am not sure how common out-of-combat damage is. I do not remember Blazing nukes being super common since most players prefer flying and cavalry nukes for better mobility. While I remember I used Savage Blow a bit because I could not outfit everyone with Def/Res Smoke, feels like most opponents I face have Def/Res Smoke on almost everyone.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/13/2024 at 7:42 AM, XRay said:

Ah, I see. I have not thought about that before. But I guess my counter argument would be that would not another nuke still be better, since they are more mobile and have better offensive range? Sure, the Save tank can better protect forward positions of your nukes, so if it is going down, your most forward nukes are still there to exert pressure, but would not replacing the tank with another nuke accomplish similar results? With all nukes, if the opponent initiates, you will most likely lose your most foward nuke, so the amount of space you can pressure gets pushed back a bit, but at the same time, you might be in a more forward position in the first place since you are not waiting for your Save tank to catch up.

This requires you to have another offensive unit that is as good as the one that you just lost.

Additionally, having your Save tank keep up with your team is typically not an issue. Units with Canto can Reposition the tank more forward and still advance their full movement range themselves. Units with Guidance 4 and similar effects, like Legendary Elincia, allow you to teleport the tank forward quickly. Yuri's Foul Play is a relatively popular mobility tool in Summoner Duels.

That is true too. And if the player is bringing a Save tank, I assume the best Save tanks right now would be Edelgard: Adrestian Emperor and Edelgard: Snowfall Future since they do not need their C slot for mobility? On the other hand, since Enemy Phase combat performance is almost irrelevant, can it be argued that almost any Save tank is about as good the first two, since they do not need their Sacred Seal slot for perfomance and can just run Armored Boots instead? I mean, the HP condition on Armored Boots hardly matters at this point, since if you are getting damaged at all, you are probably going to die  very soon within the same round of combat.

As mentioned above, mobility isn't an issue for Save tanks, so you do still want to go for performance. Even if the best offensive units in the game will still kill them, not all offensive units can do so, and not all players are using the best offensive units, so you still want to limit your opponent's options as much as possible.

Duo Male Byleth is probably the best Save tank currently in the game due to his ability to drain up to 3 points of the opponent's Special charge before their first attack, making him one of the few units that can actually deal with Winter Dimitri.

Ninja Zelgius and Valentine Ephraim both being able to drain a huge amount of the opponent's Atk stat is also pretty good.

Brave Corrin has Divine Vein (Stone), which is actually decent in Summoner Duels. The problem with Divine Vein (Stone) in Aether Raids is the fact that you can't respond in between rounds of enemy-phase combat, but you can in Summoner Duels, which helps mitigate some of the issues with Divine Vein (Stone) being nullified by offensive Divine Vein effects.

Fomortiis has the Sleep effect on Nightmare, which won't help him survive a one-round kill, but will absolutely discourage an opponent from trying to kill him by chipping away at him.

Freyr with Assign Decoy is comically tanky in addition to providing a really good support effect.

The main difference separating those two Edelgards and the rest is that those two Edelgards are less affected by out-of-combat damage from Blazing nukes and Savage Blow, but I am not sure how common out-of-combat damage is. I do not remember Blazing nukes being super common since most players prefer flying and cavalry nukes for better mobility. While I remember I used Savage Blow a bit because I could not outfit everyone with Def/Res Smoke, feels like most opponents I face have Def/Res Smoke on almost everyone.

Blazing Wind is common enough, with both versions of Yuri being surprisingly common users of it. Duo Thorr and Harmonized Sonya will also frequently carry it.

• 4 weeks later...

As always, my friends and I help each other in staying in the tier by giving a win to each other.

But after securying my tier, I tried a match just because, in maybe a hope in increasing my current tier.

A new cancer was unlocked, however: Dagr & Wind Tribe Dagr on the same team, having pathfinder on 4 units at the same time. Not fun!

I know something similar could be done with Duo Dagr before, but that required using the duo skill. Now they can have the effect for free right away.