Microsoft just bought ActiBlizz

Fabulously Olivier

36 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So Sony felt a little left out and bought Bungie. 

Seems like a new era is approaching for the industry. Industry wide consolidation of companies under the big players might become the norm now. Maybe Nintendo can buy some of the more niche companies like Platinum.

Again. Nintendo buy Koei, please. 

I would be beyond upset if Sony or Microsoft were to acquire them in some misguided effort to appeal to Japan.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I really hope not. There's a word for that kind of consolidation: Oligopoly. If the industry gets consolidated down to just a few companies, they will stop competing and instead divide up who has which turf; basically creating all the problems of a monopoly. Prices will skyrocket and quality will degrade even further. This one will be even worse because it's the console manufacturers consolidating the game companies.

Well we can always turn to indie games. If the prices climb too high, people will just stop buying them. The more creative peasants among us will find workarounds.

Maybe one day these anti-consumer practices will finally blow up in the corporations' faces, they'll fall, and a new generation of dedicated developers will rise to replace them.

1 minute ago, Lord_Brand said:

Well we can always turn to indie games. If the prices climb too high, people will just stop buying them. The more creative peasants among us will find workarounds.

Maybe one day these anti-consumer practices will finally blow up in the corporations' faces, they'll fall, and a new generation of dedicated developers will rise to replace them.

It's true that it cannot last long-term, and ease with which indie games have risen is a good sign. I'm more concerned about the damage these companies will do in the meantime before and during their fall.

4 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't accept the premise that games are getting worse, even and especially in the AAA space. Yes, the lows are getting lower, but the highs have also gotten so much higher.

Okay. But my main point was that, if this industry is allowed to become an oligopoly, the quality will degrade.

Crucial quote from Jim Ryan on whether there will be more acquisitions:

"We should absolutely expect more," he concludes. "We are by no means done. With PlayStation, we have a long way to go. I will personally be spending a lot of my time with Pete and the team at Bungie, helping make sure that everything beds down right and that autonomy means autonomy. But elsewhere in the organisation, we have many more moves to make."

So I'm thinking today's news is the tip of the iceberg for 2022. Sony has reportedly been looking into establishing a stronger presence overseas in response to waning interest in Japanese games, so Bungie definitely fits. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be western Studios, just a studio with games that appeal to westerners. If they're willing to spend as much as much money as Microsoft has, I still say EA is the play. Fifa and Madden alone are big money on a yearly basis, and are not subject to concerns like innovation or any standard for quality. Though I still theorize that because EA is safe they have no real reason to sell. And they even renewed a deal with lucasfilm for three more star wars games. Come to think of it, EA's really shaped up since the days of Star Wars Battlefront and Mass Effect Andromeda.

What else are westerners into...superheroes for one. I think it's no accident that Insomniac announces the Spiderman games and Wolverine game many years in advance, while something like Ratchet & Clank is just quietly announced and released within the span of a year. For a couple years now there have been rumors that Warner Bros Interactive might sell one or all of their studios to Microsoft. And the reason why they haven't might be a behind the scenes bidding war involving Sony and other, shadier conglomerates. Developers like Rocksteady still have a huge pedigree, and NetherRealm may be the most talented studio for big budget fighting games on the planet. It's also no secret that Warner Bros (the multimedia conglomerate) has been having its ass kicked for the last decade. Mostly in the realm of movies, but it's likely they'd sell off the video game arm before deciding to restructure away from movies. So my best guess right now is that Sony or Microsoft picks up something from the WB umbrella, if not all of WB Interactive.

I'm really struggling to think of Bungie-sized or smaller studios that might be targeted. Just about everything has a parent company already. I was about to make the years old suggestion that Sony would buy Bluepoint, but that has already been quietly confirmed a few months ago. From Software has also been thrown around as a possibility ever since Bloodborne, but since it hasn't happened yet you can start being suspicious about why not. 

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I just hope Capcom and SEGA don't end up under Sony's umbrella. Mega Man no longer being allowed on Nintendo systems would emotionally hurt me, and both he and Sonic have had a rather spotty track record on Sony systems with some of their worst games being closely associated with those platforms.

I dunno guys, I just feel like my interest in commercial video games is starting to fade. I haven't supported Microsoft for over a decade, I stopped supporting Sony in 2020, and now even Nintendo's losing my faith. Just feels like I have no one to turn to but myself now, you know?

41 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I just hope Capcom and SEGA don't end up under Sony's umbrella. Mega Man no longer being allowed on Nintendo systems would emotionally hurt me, and both he and Sonic have had a rather spotty track record on Sony systems with some of their worst games being closely associated with those platforms.

I don't know about SEGA, but one thing I am certain of is that not even being bought would stop Capcom from releasing their games on multiple platforms.

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

I dunno guys, I just feel like my interest in commercial video games is starting to fade. I haven't supported Microsoft for over a decade, I stopped supporting Sony in 2020, and now even Nintendo's losing my faith. Just feels like I have no one to turn to but myself now, you know?

Being into games shouldn't require "fealty" toward any of these companies. If you don't want their current games, look backward at older games. They're just as good now as when they came out (unless they're, like, MMOs I guess). Once you feel you've exhausted most games you've heard of, move on to fan games and ROM hacks. There is always something new to discover.

7 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

maybe its time to broaden your genre? im sure you start to lose faith because of all this nonsensical corporate action and political bickering between mega company. theres still boatload of games free from that nonsense stuff.

are you console-strict user? since i never consider myself supporter of any major publisher in this 2 decade since i became PC gamer. altho i've owned Sega, PS, 3DS, PSP, never once i thought i was supporting specific company in the past. kinda weird to put loyalty in game company if u ask me.

7 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Mostly in the realm of movies, but it's likely they'd sell off the video game arm before deciding to restructure away from movies. So my best guess right now is that Sony or Microsoft picks up something from the WB umbrella, if not all of WB Interactive

sony buying bungie clearly because they also own business in movies, and Bungie sci-fi product has potential for that. if they are going to buy more studio i also think they will target something with potential for "multimedia" product rather than just "multi-platform" games.

and im waiting for the inevitable irony meme about Bungie. they were under microsoft, for some reason left. after that make another game under Activision, then left again. after being independent for "reasons" and proud of it, now they are under Sony back in the embrace of megacorp again.. its like whatever dissatisfaction they had before now forgotten in front of that sweet-sweet promise of future contract.

48 minutes ago, joevar said:

maybe its time to broaden your genre? im sure you start to lose faith because of all this nonsensical corporate action and political bickering between mega company. theres still boatload of games free from that nonsense stuff.

are you console-strict user? since i never consider myself supporter of any major publisher in this 2 decade since i became PC gamer. altho i've owned Sega, PS, 3DS, PSP, never once i thought i was supporting specific company in the past. kinda weird to put loyalty in game company if u ask me.

sony buying bungie clearly because they also own business in movies, and Bungie sci-fi product has potential for that. if they are going to buy more studio i also think they will target something with potential for "multimedia" product rather than just "multi-platform" games.

and im waiting for the inevitable irony meme about Bungie. they were under microsoft, for some reason left. after that make another game under Activision, then left again. after being independent for "reasons" and proud of it, now they are under Sony back in the embrace of megacorp again.. its like whatever dissatisfaction they had before now forgotten in front of that sweet-sweet promise of future contract.

Bungie is a funny case. They aren't the nice scrappy indie dev purchased by the evil megacorp. Bungie was the evil company all along, as they've repeatedly shown with their own business decisions - while independent.

7 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Being into games shouldn't require "fealty" toward any of these companies. If you don't want their current games, look backward at older games. They're just as good now as when they came out (unless they're, like, MMOs I guess). Once you feel you've exhausted most games you've heard of, move on to fan games and ROM hacks. There is always something new to discover.

Looking backward is something I've been doing increasingly often already. Played through the Mega Man Classic and X Legacy Collections, Crash N. Sane Trilogy, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Link's Awakening for Switch...

I have a feeling Nintendo will always put out something I want, but I'm leaning towards developing my own IPs.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

I hate PC gaming as I prefer controllers over keyboards. I know there exist controllers for PCs, but playing on a PC would be nowhere near as comfortable for me.

I've been loyal to Nintendo for a long time. Always liked their IPs and systems best. My family at one point or another has owned an NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, DS, and 3DS. Their games make up like 90% of our library. I also used to be a Sony fan; we bought every one of their home consoles up to PS4 and picked up the PSP as well. I've never touched a Microsoft console (except that one time I played a store demo of Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex on X Box) and have no intentions of doing so.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Bungie is a funny case. They aren't the nice scrappy indie dev purchased by the evil megacorp. Bungie was the evil company all along, as they've repeatedly shown with their own business decisions - while independent.

as a player of Destiny 2 i know some of their decision is blizzard-level bad at least to some people.  and also hearing that this buying decision was not communicated at all to the rest of the employee until it was decided... yeah i think you're right they are the evil one after all, lol

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I hate PC gaming as I prefer controllers over keyboards. I know there exist controllers for PCs, but playing on a PC would be nowhere near as comfortable for me.

hating pc gaming and loving nintendo platform more often than not goes hand in hand... Understandable. have a good day. 🏃‍♂️

Well, Nintendo has just announced that it has no intention on joining in on purchasing a bunch of game studios; instead, they're apparently putting their money into expanding their 1st-party dev teams.

I think they're making a smart choice. Plus, how typical of Nintendo to look at what Sony and Microsoft are doing and go, "Nope; we're not going to do that."