Three Hopes surpasses 1 million units shipped

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

I never played the original FEW, but the story of Three Hopes is one of the most appealing parts of the game imo. In many ways, I prefer it to the story of Three Houses, though I do miss S rank supports and romance in general.

They both have their advantages. They're so different. FEW feels like Samurai Warriors plus the weapon triangle from DW8. FEW3H feels kind of like how people nostalgically describe oldschool Warriors games feeling - just polished to a mirror shine with lots of RPG mechanics.

FEW had better objective pressure, side battles, and postgame.

FEW3H has a better story, world, maps, roster, replayability, progression, mechanics, game balance, and soundtrack. 

13 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

They both have their advantages. They're so different. FEW feels like Samurai Warriors plus the weapon triangle from DW8. FEW3H feels kind of like how people nostalgically describe oldschool Warriors games feeling - just polished to a mirror shine with lots of RPG mechanics.

FEW had better objective pressure, side battles, and postgame.

FEW3H has a better story, world, maps, roster, replayability, progression, mechanics, game balance, and soundtrack. 

FEW1 had lots of postgame sure, but the characters all felt very samey and the supports were bad leading to flatness. There also felt like there was no real reason to do the History mode campaigns as the maps all felt samey (once again). They essentially have the history mode campaigns in FEW3H but it is tied to the story much better. I do agree that the objective pressure was far better in FEW1.

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm not even sure why people want a Warriors 1 sequel. Focusing on a single continuity and a single story seems, to me, way better an idea than basically trying to do Heroes but with less capacity to fulfill the idea. I think even if it were a setting I don't like I'd still prefer they focus on one continuity at a time (though there is no real setting I don't like in Fire Emblem, except maybe TMS, but feck it, while I wasn't behind the idol stuff the character designs still looked good, so bring on TMS: Warriors).

I want the old cast and movesets back, and interactions between characters from different games can be really entertaining. The Frederick and Leo support had me laughing my ass off.

However, it's not that I think crossing over multiple games is inherently better than focusing on one, I really just think Three Hopes was awful and a proper FEW2 that added characters from Fodlan, Tellius, and Elibe would have been a hell of a lot more fun. The story probably wouldn't have been anything worthwhile, but it's not like I play these games for story, and Three Hopes' story wasn't any good, either.

On 8/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, Archeleon said:

I actually had the opposite experience.  I expected to get buyer's remorse but now I have over 300 hrs in the game and I've only finished 1 (technically 2) route. 

I'm so glad to hear another person is near the same boat as me. I remember back being 100+ hours in and I read some people's posts in these threads suggesting they were already done with multiple play throughs/routes and I was just baffled. My first route (Scarlet/Recruit Byleth) took somewhere between 170-190 hours and my 2nd run (Azure/no Byleth) was at 130-ish hours. Now I'm on my 3rd run (Azure/Recruit Byleth) and I'm past chapter 10. I was just shocked other people could move so fast thru the game. But then again I took a break for two weeks after the game came out and then when I was back I was doing research so I can help fill some pages on the wiki. In fact I'm still doing that but more slowly now. 

I have to say, I'm still disappointed these games sell well, but the effort into these games being made so is piss-poor. Like can't Koei or IS do better? I noticed they recycled so much. Like for example during the meals, most the guys tend sit the same all hunched over with just a few sitting upright and during the tea-time/expeditions the little gestures between the girls are almost all recycled. I tend to notice the effort as far as animations go in these games is absolutely non-existent. With less than about 6 variations; they stand the same, they sit at the dinner table the same, they wave their hands the same during tea time, during important discussions revolving around the story its always just them all standing in a little cluster taking turns talking and my list of criticism goes on. Does nobody else notice they recycle their assets so much? What can't they animate them sitting at a conference table discussing these things or something different? Like for example an informant walking up to Hubert and handing him a folder he opens up and reads the content of a report. I remember vividly in 3 Houses, after a few select cutscenes such as after the mock battle of Gronder Field, before the ball the night you promise to reunite, and some more, everyone just randomly makes a step sound effect and they appear out of nowhere surrounding you and the house leader and the cutscene starts just like that. They couldn't even animate them walking down the hall or turning a corner before arriving to talk with you. Don't get me started on how they walk away so easily. They literally pivot their body and take one step at most and because of the camera angle they get offscreen just slightly and then they are gone. You don't contine to hear footsteps or see their back, let alone an actual walking animation. Only a step and turn/pivot animation. They simply use clever camera angles to take people on/off screen when needed and that's it. An even more glaringly obvious flaw is the the always empty spaces where they talk. Take chapter 8/9 for example when rescuing Dimitri. You actually get an anime style cutscene and see him sitting on a bed, but when screen goes black and returns back to the normal style cutscenes they appear in a empty room with no furniture and are all standing in a little cluster talking. I'm just gonna stop there. I feel like it's pointless to bring this up since neither of these studios will ever rectify these low budget animations/scenes. It just bothered me so much to see so little effort. Even FEW1 was like this. Only the anime style cutscenes bring it to life and even then, it's still low quality compared to other game franchises. 

There is a reason why both FEW1 and this one took up less than 15-ish GB each meanwhile a game modified greatly like The Witcher 3 still ended up taking more than 32 GB. Heck even some Tales games were larger than these and they hard more variety to their animations. I don't think these games should be priced at 60 like those other ones when they clearly exert significantly less effort and are lower quality. Dragon's Dogma is less than $60 and had richer environments/scenes. I definitely experienced massive buyer's remorse with this game and outside of the Tellius games being port overed for the switch, I'm dropping this franchise. As far as spin offs go. Unless they price them appropriately at $30 or 40 they won't get me again with these low quality games. I expect more and that isn't unreasonable. Especially when other games franchises are priced at $60 and the effort in them matches or justifies that tag. I'm sad about this decision cause it'll mean less exposure to the stories I really like but Nintendo needs to step up with quality if they want to get away with $60 tags. Emphasis on spin offs. I'll stick with the core series

Edited by Tediz64

2 hours ago, Florete said:

I want the old cast and movesets back, and interactions between characters from different games can be really entertaining. The Frederick and Leo support had me laughing my ass off.

However, it's not that I think crossing over multiple games is inherently better than focusing on one, I really just think Three Hopes was awful and a proper FEW2 that added characters from Fodlan, Tellius, and Elibe would have been a hell of a lot more fun. The story probably wouldn't have been anything worthwhile, but it's not like I play these games for story, and Three Hopes' story wasn't any good, either.

Three Hopes' story was pretty decent for Fire Emblem standards and it was leaps better than the garbage story we got with Warriors.

Edited by Seazas

2 hours ago, Florete said:

Do you play Heroes? Because forging bonds has you covered on crossover conversations. Other than that there's just Rowan and Lilianna that are unique to Warriors, and I don't think they're consider particularly masterful characters (and even they might get into Heroes some day, hell they probably would have literally been Alfonse and Shareena had there been slightly more communication between departments).

34 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Three Hopes' story was pretty decent for Fire Emblem standards and it was leaps better than the garbage story we got with Warriors.

I really don't care if your shit smells better than mine. It's still shit.

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Do you play Heroes? Because forging bonds has you covered on crossover conversations. Other than that there's just Rowan and Lilianna that are unique to Warriors, and I don't think they're consider particularly masterful characters (and even they might get into Heroes some day, hell they probably would have literally been Alfonse and Shareena had there been slightly more communication between departments).

I do, but Heroes doesn't have Warriors gameplay or voice acting (in Forging Bonds). I also just don't find most of the interactions in Forging Bonds to actually be all that good. I liked the Warriors ones much better.

Edited by Florete

16 minutes ago, Florete said:

I do, but Heroes doesn't have Warriors gameplay or voice acting (in Forging Bonds). I also just don't find most of the interactions in Forging Bonds to actually be all that good. I liked the Warriors ones much better.

Well the gameplay will be the same with minor changes no matter whether it's a crossover or a single continuity. Obviously you'll have case of more specific inspiration being taken from the target game like in Three Houses, but at the core the series is trying to replicate Fire Emblem gameplay in a Warriors style. As for qriting quality? Well there's absolutely no guarantee that a Warriors sequel would have writing any better than Forging Bonds. That's just down to the quality of whomever they hire to create the conversations.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Standards on what's good or not change and Fire Emblem stories were never all that great to begin with. Three Hopes' story is solid for FE and actually enjoyable since our main lead isn't insufferable or so boring that it makes me hate them like the lemon twins. Three Hopes story was definitely good especially if you're comparing it to Warriors like you were earlier.

Edited by Seazas

1 minute ago, Seazas said:

Standards on what's good or not change and Fire Emblem stories were never all that great to begin with. Three Hopes' story is solid for FE and actually enjoyable since our main lead isn't insufferable or so boring that it makes me hate them like the lemon twins. Three Hopes story was definitely good especially if you're comparing it to Warriors like you were earlier.

What? I never compared their stories. I don't care to, because I don't think either of them are good enough. You can go ahead and have Three Hopes's story being better than FEW1's if it's so important to you. I don't give a lick what your opinion on any of their stories is and I don't know why you're bothering to repeat it.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

What? I never compared their stories. I don't care to, because I don't think either of them are good enough. You can go ahead and have Three Hopes's story being better than FEW1's if it's so important to you. I don't give a lick what your opinion on any of their stories is and I don't know why you're bothering to repeat it.

You directly brought it up when talking about a potential Warriors story. It felt like a comparison. It's not important to me, I just disagree with you that Hopes' story was bad. Was it necessary to respond with "I don't care about your opinion" when this entire thread is consisting of everyone throwing their opinions out there about Warriors games? You're doing the same thing, sharing your opinion about those stories and games. 

Edited by Seazas

16 minutes ago, Seazas said:

You directly brought it up when talking about a potential Warriors story. It felt like a comparison. It's not important to me, I disagree with you that Hopes' story was bad. That's so random and rude for no good reason to randomly throw out "I don't care about your opinion" when this entire thread is consisting of everyone throwing their opinions out there about Warriors games. And you're doing the same thing, sharing your opinion about those stories and games. 

I said, and I quote, that a potential FEW2 story "probably wouldn't have been anything worthwhile." I don't know where from that you're getting that it would be better than Three Hopes or that FEW1's was better than Three Hopes.

I told you I don't care about your opinion because you responded to me, directly, twice to tell it to me. I didn't respond to any post of yours that didn't quote me.

19 minutes ago, Florete said:

I said, and I quote, that a potential FEW2 story "probably wouldn't have been anything worthwhile." I don't know where from that you're getting that it would be better than Three Hopes or that FEW1's was better than Three Hopes.

I told you I don't care about your opinion because you responded to me, directly, twice to tell it to me. I didn't respond to any post of yours that didn't quote me.

Then you directly brought up Hopes saying it wasn't good. Which I said that I disagree with and said in my opinion that it's pretty good to decent for FE standards.

It literally doesn't matter that I responded to you. You're "directly" telling your opinion to multiple others too, that's the whole point of discussion centered websites like this. I'm not here dissing you or how you feel, relax.

Edited by Seazas

I don't think we need dedicated single-game stories to have a good story. And Three Hopes does just factually have a good story. I think they could absolutely pull off the crossover style story if they really wanted to, but they need to embrace conflict and not be afraid to have playable characters fight eachother rather than all come together for the big happy ending. Conflict is the essence of good storytelling, and the motivations that make characters from the different games tick are often incompatible.

20 minutes ago, Florete said:

That's not how facts work.

Stories also don't magically become bad the moment your preferred character is revealed to not be the protagonist. That isn't how stories work. You came at the game in bad faith, looking for reasons to personally dislike it from the precise nanosecond trailer 2 dropped, so you're going to have to understand why others don't agree with you.

And for the record, I also think that FEW1 deserves a followup, and in some ways, it does suck that they went the route they did.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

6 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Stories also don't magically become bad the moment your preferred character is revealed to not be the protagonist. That isn't how stories work. You came at the game in bad faith, looking for reasons to personally dislike it from the precise nanosecond trailer 2 dropped, so you're going to have to understand why others don't agree with you.

...What? Where the hell did this come from? It has nothing to do with what I think of it. I think Radiant Dawn has the best story in the series, but I would never say it's a fact that its story is good. A story's quality is subjective and therefore can't be considered fact.

And you also need to get off your high horse. I did not come at the game in bad faith. I had enough time between trailer 2 and release to sort myself out. I mean, for fuck's sake, I bought the game. You're the one coming at me in bad faith, trying to discredit my opinions like that.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

And for the record, I also think that FEW1 deserves a followup, and in some ways, it does suck that they went the route they did.

They're right though. That's not how facts work.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

They're right though. That's not how facts work.

know. I was being facetious.

But when most of the stories we've had recently for literally over half of the franchise's lifespan (yes - the post-Awakening time is now greater than the pre-Awakening time, don't you feel old yet) have been actually bottom of the barrel terrible by any reasonable franchise's standards, it does annoy me when someone singles out the good ones.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

know. I was being facetious.

But when most of the stories we've had recently for literally over half of the franchise's lifespan (yes - the post-Awakening time is now greater than the pre-Awakening time, don't you feel old yet) have been actually bottom of the barrel terrible by any reasonable franchise's standards, it does annoy me when someone singles out the good ones.

Aww, boohoohoo, someone doesn't like the same story you do. So sorry I'm going around constantly shitting on Three Hopes' story instead of this topic being the literal first place I've ever even said anything about it.

And, while I'm sure you'll hold to it, I don't believe you when you say you were being facetious. I think you're just trying to save face.