Jedi's Smash 4 Character analysis Project (Currently Bowser)

Jedi

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good matches Ana, my Pit obviously needs some work haha, and that damn Misfire was perfect timing :P:

Kirbys need to approach properly or mac destroys

Also yeah, basically.

Ugggh, sorry I left so soon, Jedi, my stepdad wanted the TV...

And yeah, after I was just telling you about Green Missile being a good move on the stage. XD I also got you with a couple Fire Jump Punches, but neither KO'd you. That first one was likely due to it being airborne since it's weaker in the air, I think. But yeah damn that last misfire. lol

So, was my Ike better than the one you faced? I don't know, since I royally KO'd myself... I did that with Luigi too. I need to stop mistakenly thinking I have second jumps.

Edited by Anacybele

I think you have a better grasp of Ike then that Ike I faced as Mario for sure. Everyone SD's heck I've done it as even Lucario before. IceSage can tell you of the hilarious time I Extremesped over the entire stage and dunked myself on the complete other side.

Edited by Jedi

Yeah, but I feel like I do it a lot more than others... Maybe not though, who knows?

But good, glad to know I was a bit more of a challenge! I don't want to be a boring opponent...or a bad player. :P But I think my Luigi is better, probably due to his higher tier placement, which means he's not as hard to get good with.

Yeah, but I feel like I do it a lot more than others... Maybe not though, who knows?

But good, glad to know I was a bit more of a challenge! I don't want to be a boring opponent...or a bad player. :P But I think my Luigi is better, probably due to his higher tier placement, which means he's not as hard to get good with.

Playing with people often, helps like I'm sure if you did 1 v 1's alot, you'd get a better grasp on what works. Heck videos help. Maybe mine can help when I get to other characters of yours I know better such as Ike.

Marth's tipper is pretty dangerous as i'm sure you realized :P:

Also It may be since you've been playing Luigi for more games too.

Edited by Jedi

Tiers mean nothing in casual levels, otherwise why would my Samus be better than my Diddy :D

Edited by Elieson

Oh yeah, I've gotten tips from videos! They're definitely helpful! And yes, I look forward to seeing your videos on Ike, Robin, Toon Link, and Mii Swordfighter, who are the rest of my gang. :3 (well, if you plan to to do the Miis)

Yes, that god damned tipper... >_<

Yeah, that too, though I actually didn't play Melee much, so I haven't been a Luigi player for that much longer than an Ike player.

If I don't do the Mii's via videos, which in FG you can't I'll find something to do with em, I'll do write ups at least.

Speaking of which I need to go back and do those for G&W and Pac-Man.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you can't use Miis online except vs friends. Yeah, you're gonna have to do something else if you want to do videos on them... >.<

Maybe someone here can volunteer to play against one of your Miis? I would, but I'm afraid of embarrassing myself... xP

Sounds like you and Anacybele had some really fun matches. So how did most of them result, victory and stock-wise.

Also, I'll be taking my tips I posted in Jedi's and my PM (I'm pretty sure he's okay with it, since there wasn't anything personal there) and post them here (I'm interested in hearing what others think of the tips as well):

The only contribution I can think of so far is for Luigi: the Super Jump Punch is definitely risky, but in situations like opponent recoveries that don't end in the them grabbing the ledge or landing from a relatively laggy aerial/special move, that's a really good opportunity to run to the opponent and strike with it. That Diddy didn't really leave too many opportunities like those, but I thought it'd be worth a mention in your write-up.

As for Game & Watch, his Up B can actually make for a surprisingly decent edge guard. When the opponent is trying to recover and has already used their mid-air jump, if you hit them with it so that they go away from the stage, it'll actually hit them just enough so that most characters can't recover with their up B, and it's definitely not a tactic most people would see coming (it can be quite risky, specifically if the recovering opponent catches on quickly and meteor smashes you).

For your R.O.B. and Duck Hunt writeups, I've got plenty of pointers for both of them if you want since I main them (like tipping Duck Hunt's forward and backward aerials and uncharged gyros being surprisingly effective and probably overall better than charged gyros since they don't require charging time and the charged gyros' slight increase in power and range not being worth the charge time).

Edited by Randoman

As a Kirby main, this guy is a disappointment (much like other FG Kirbys). First off, you don't ever abuse Stone, even after a throw (bc it doesn't ever combo). I only use the Stone if my opponent is trying to carry me to the upper blastline and they expect me to fall into their moves. Also, you can't just hide inside the Stone thinking you're invincible, because really strong moves will snap that defense clean in half.

And secondly, many of Kirby's moves are surprisingly not safe on shield, so if he mindlessly throws out moves, there's a good chance you can retaliate no problem.

Edited by Kiseki

Sounds like you and Anacybele had some really fun matches. So how did most of them result, victory and stock-wise.

Ah, hey Rando! :) Jedi and I only got to have three matches, sadly. First one was my Ike vs his Marth. He won, partly because I SD'd, though I wound up almost making a comeback and KOing him twice before he could take off my last stock.

Second was my Luigi vs his Ike. I SD'd again... But for some time, I was ripping him apart, then he started to rip me apart and it eventually ended with him winning.

Third was my Luigi vs his Pit. I won that one. I don't know much about Pit, so I had some trouble. And then that perfectly timed misfire on Green Missile took off his last stock, and I was like "OH ho ho wow, that came out of nowhere." XD

I'm thinking I'm kind of inconsistent... I mean, I feel like I can't consistently be good. Sometimes the same person will thrash me badly, and other times I'll come close to winning or actually win...

Edited by Anacybele

As a Kirby main, this guy is a disappointment (much like other FG Kirbys). First off, you don't ever abuse Stone, even after a throw (bc it doesn't ever combo). I only use the Stone if my opponent is trying to carry me to the upper blastline and they expect me to fall into their moves. Also, you can't just hide inside the Stone thinking you're invincible, because really strong moves will snap that defense clean in half.

And secondly, many of Kirby's moves are surprisingly not safe on shield, so if he mindlessly throws out moves, there's a good chance you can retaliate no problem.

Yeah, this Kirby was pretty weaksauce, and I mostly used this video to highlight how punishing Mac can be and to talk about the Match Up honestly.

Kirby's main strengths are his ability to combo, but he only has a few moves that do so.

Have you checked out the Gimpmaster's mac gimp?

1. Mr. Game & Watch (April 28, 1980)
  2. Pac-Man (May 22, 1980)
  3. Mario (July 9, 1981)
  4. Donkey Kong (July 9, 1981)
  5. Luigi (July 14, 1983)
  6. Little Mac (February 1984)
  7. Duck Hunt (April 21, 1984)
  8. R.O.B. (July 26, 1985)
  9. Peach (September 13, 1985)
  10. Bowser (September 13, 1985)
  11. Link (February 21, 1986)
  12. Zelda (February 21, 1986)
  13. Samus (August 6, 1986)
  14. Pit (December 19, 1986)
  15. Palutena (December 19, 1986)
  16. Ryu (August 30, 1987)
  17. Mega Man (December 17, 1987)
  18. Marth (April 20, 1990)
  19. Dr. Mario (July 27, 1990)
  20. Yoshi (November 21, 1990)
  21. Captain Falcon (November 21, 1990)
  22. Sonic (June 23, 1991)
  23. Kirby (April 27, 1992)
  24. King Dedede (April 27, 1992)
  25. Wario (October 21, 1992)
  26. Fox (February 21, 1993)
  27. Falco (February 21, 1993)
  28. Meta Knight (March 23, 1993)
  29. Ness (August 27, 1994)
  30. Diddy Kong (November 21, 1994)
  31. Mewtwo (February 27, 1996)
  32. Pikachu (February 27, 1996)
  33. Charizard (February 27, 1996)
  34. Jigglypuff (February 27, 1996)
  35. Sheik (November 21, 1998)
  36. Ganondorf (November 21, 1998)
  37. Villager (April 14, 2001)
  38. Olimar (October 26, 2001)
  39. Roy (November 21, 2001)
  40. Bowser Jr. (July 19, 2002)
  41. Toon Link (December 13, 2002)
  42. Zero Suit Samus (February 9, 2004)
  43. Ike (April 20, 2005)
  44. Lucas (April 20, 2006)
  45. Lucario (September 28, 2006)
  46. Rosalina (November 1, 2007)
  47. Wii Fit Trainer (December 1, 2007)
  48. Shulk (June 10, 2010)
  49. Dark Pit (March 22, 2012)
  50. Robin (April 19, 2012)
  51. Lucina (April 19, 2012)
  52. Greninja (October 12, 2013)
Edited by Elieson

I'm laughing so hard at those two kirby KOs

fuckin little mac lol

also lol he gave up inhale to copy little mac's shitty neutral b

e: also, wouldn't KO punch have broken through stone without waiting for him to leave the stone state?

Edited by Euklyd

e: also, wouldn't KO punch have broken through stone without waiting for him to leave the stone state?

Yes, it's like asking "Will Warlock Punch break this Stone?"

Yes, it's like asking "Will Warlock Punch break this Stone?"

not really

KO punch goes through shields as if they didn't exist, and iirc it goes through various armor as well just as easily

warlock punch going through the thing wouldn't kill the kirby

just tested: it does, and kills kirby

two fsmashes goes through but without knockback

e: oh, warlock punch goes through with knockback as well

Edited by Euklyd

Since Duck Hunt is up next and you probably don't use him too much, I'll give you a few pointers with him:

- Hitting with the tip of the back air animation makes for a really good edgeguard KO move.

- Using the can on a midair opponent with high percentage when you're very close to them is actually a good way to get a KO on them. Sure, you'll take damage as well, but it comes out really fast, they'll have little to no time to dodge it, and even if you're both at the same percentage, you'll take less knockback from it than the enemy due to only taking the area of effect damage from the can and not the direct explosion (I don't really know how to word it better).

- Use the can for stage control, and unless you're going for that strategy I mentioned in the previous tip, avoid hitting both you and the enemy with it by jumping backwards then using it in midair.

- The up air is surprisingly useful for both juggling and getting KOs when the opponent is around 120%.

- The down air meteor smash is relatively quick and easy to hit with, but weak compared to most meteor smashes. What I actually do is hit the opponent with it once without personally using a midair jump, hit them with it a second time when they're already struck downwards from the first hit (you likely will need to use the midair jump for the second down air), then using his up B to get back on the stage.

- Alternatively, you can use a tipped back air to hit them towards the stage if they recover low and stage spike them that way.

- The multi-shot nature of his Smash attacks make them somewhat easy to escape, though the range of the smashes are quite long compared to most smash attacks. The down smash in particular isn't as easy to escape as his other smashes, though keep in mind the final hit will send them flying behind you, so position yourself accordingly for KOs using down smash.

- Take advantage of the lag that occurs during down b by rushing towards the opponent as they try to dodge or defend from it. As an attack in itself, it's not very good, but using it for mindgames and rushing towards them while they're dodging or defending from it and grabbing them is quite an effective strategy, especially if you can grab them before the gunman shot so it's guaranteed to land.

I'm not sure how much of those you already know, but I hope it'll help, either way.

Edited by Randoman