How to recognize good characters?

Quirino

Hey all. I'll soon start a playthrough on FE3 book 2 and I don't know all those characters. In the past I've always been using FAQs to determine which team I would use, but now I want to do a playthrough without those FAQs. Now my question is, how can I recognize characters which have potential and are good? I don't want to hear which is the best team, but I don't want to end up with bad characters either.

Thanks in advance!

I usually go for the "good looking" teen characters or characters who look like they fall into an archetype (eg. Nabarl).

If the character doesn't gain many stats for 5 or so Levels, or I see a new character whose around the same Level, but with better stats, they get dumped.

Use Anyone from Chap. 1 through about chap. 7. Then ditch all the others.

Unless their names are

Cain, Minerva, or Merric.

Also anyone is too vague. A few earlygame characters aren't too great.

Oh, so Lena and every other young Mage are tanky because they are young?

Book 1 Lena, she has like no play time in book 2 <_<

Yubello has growths. Level him a bit.

Malleisa and Yumina are :newyears: and they have special staves.

Yubello has growths. Level him a bit.

Yuebello's start is also meh. And doesn't have a special tome. Also you get Linda earlier who has Rezire and Aura and you get Merric later with Excalibur and Wendell has great staff utility and requires no training.

Basically any character can become good in FE3 Book 2 due to the existance of Star Orb fragments. The best character in the game though would be Paola. She is just godly. Like, Titania godly.

Arran is pretty useful early on because of high move and durability (only hope of getting the Lady Sword really), but I suggest you drop him a bit, as he's one of the few exceptions to the rule that Orb fragments make anyone good. He just becomes average.

Almost anyone who are prepromos end up crappy. Avoid em.

Use most of the characters that start of with good base stats. Characters that won't require much babying. Even if their stats are crap, that's what the stat up items are there for.

Thanks for your advice everyone. One more question, everyone says Doga's bad in FE1 and good in FE3, but the growths are exactly the same, except for luck in both games. It's not his archtype of early armor knight because Gilliam's pretty good in the Sacred Stones :)

Edited by Quirino

Thanks for your advice everyone. One more question, everyone says Doga's bad in FE1 and good in FE3, but the growths are exactly the same, except for luck in both games. It's not his archtype of early armor knight because Gilliam's pretty good in the Sacred Stones :)

Well, star shards let you fix growths in Book 2.

OK. One more question (again), I don't understand one thing really. In FE1 I used Oguma and he turns out great in the end, but I see at his growth rates and they do not seem that spectacular to me. Pretty low skill and defense growths and most of the other are on average or slightly above. How can he then still be so good? Or do I see something wrong?

First off, growth rates are overrated when judging a character unless they're abnormally high.

Secondly, Oguma's growths are decent. 30% Def growth is actually too much in my book and 40% Str improves his Str base.

Edited by Super FE3 Player

Ever been to a dog show, or seen one in a movie?

You know when the judge reaches inbetween the dogs legs and fondles their junk?

Whatever the hell they're looking for is the mark of a good character.

Ever been to a dog show, or seen one in a movie?

You know when the judge reaches inbetween the dogs legs and fondles their junk?

Whatever the hell they're looking for is the mark of a good character.

LOL!

What kind of dog shows do you go to? XD

First off, growth rates are overrated when judging a character unless they're abnormally high.

Secondly, Oguma's growths are decent. 30% Def growth is actually too much in my book and 40% Str improves his Str base.

In addition, 'Good' pretty much depends on your playstyle. Making mistakes as a norm, you'd probably want characters who won't die in a hit or two. If you're pretty settled in how to go about your business, you could use crappy characters and still have a good run.

Pure statistics will give you a raw value, but that value is affected by how the player actually plays :/

1. Doga is bad in FE1 because he can't promote. Period. For some retarded reason, Armors could not promote to Generals and Hunters could not promote to Horseman. This meant Doga, Kashim, Roger, Dolph, and Macellan were bad.

2. Oguma (and this applies for Dieck as well in FE6) actually don't have that good growths, but they're still decent and the reason why they're so good is because of bases and Weapon Ranks. Good bases and decent growths can save a character better than crappy bases and good growths, particularly when jointime is involved.

Doga is pretty awful. He has like 1 movement through forest patches, can't cross mountains, and can't keep up with anyone even on straight plains or castle floors.

From the first chapter, only Marth and maybe one of the Cavaliers is worth raising, and that's a big maybe. Sirius, Linda, Ogma, Navarre, Paola, Castor, Merric, Catria, maybe Sheeda, those are the characters you want. While statistics don't matter as much as in other games because of the shards, having to rely on them to get good is still annoying, since they can only be on one guy at a time, and you don't have infinite.

You can hardly go wrong in this game though, the enemies aren't very threatening, staying at level 1 for long, long times, and the EXP gain is extreme.

Except for the chapter with the Ice Dragons and Silver Axe Pirates. I despise that chapter.

The second chapter can be a little rough since the boss moves, has a Ridersbane, and high defense. Though you do get three bow users so...