Favorite Video Game Music

Fayt Zelpher

Well, I've decided to create a topic dedicated to the greatness that is the VGM. Anyway, feel free to talk about your favorite video game music. (The exception being that if you're a crazed FF7 who simply wants to proclaim that OWA is the greatest ever without some sort of reason why, don't bother. Create your own topic.) Anyway, as an added bonus, I'll try to link one video of music that I find pleasing on most days (I'd say every day, but I want to cover my rear if I should forget, so to speak). Feel free to add your favorites as well. (Note that all VGM is acceptable, not just FE music [this is the other games forum].)

Also know that Remixes, Orchestral versions, and Remastered tracks are allowed. It just needs to be based off a VGM piece.

Anyway, I'll start with one soundtrack that gets overlooked because it plays exactly once in its game and generally isn't even on long enough to cycle through a full time because the battle is real quick. Nonetheless, I think it far outstrips both OWA and Birth of a God.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most FE music,

and a less known one: "still alive" from "mirror's edge". never played the game, to busy playing FE :P

EDIT: trying to get youtube movie in screen...

doesn't work, never mind...

worked! :awesome:

Edited by whase

The Dragon Quest series not only has phenomenal music in and of itself, but each and every numbered entry to date (sparing IX) has a fully orchestrated soundtrack accompanying it.

Super Mario Galaxy offers up an interesting blend of techno and instrumentals. Regardless of the instrumentation, all of that game's tracks are stellar.

Shadow of the Colossus's soundtrack is unique in that you could listen to it and appreciate it without even having played the game beforehand.

Lastly, MediEvil Resurrection, a PSP remake of the original MediEvil on the PS1, sports a fully orchestrated in-game soundtrack that sounds eerily reminiscent to some of Danny Elfman's work. Still awesome, though.

Edited by Fox

I like most FE music,

and a less known one: "still alive" from "mirror's edge". never played the game, to busy playing FE :P

EDIT: trying to get youtube movie in screen...

doesn't work, never mind...

Click on the insert media command and copy/paste the URL from the youtube link. That should do it.

Anyway, yes, I do like a good bit of FE music, but many people here will have heard quite a bit of that, so I want to share other music as well. Since today is the first day of this new topic though, I will suspend the 'one-new-video-per-day' rule and post some more videos today. Anyway, the music from the first part of the final battle of Mother 2 / Earthbound. Most people like the rock theme that starts after about 50 seconds. I actually like the 8-bit style that starts the track. (And yes, for the love of Pete, I know that the SNES is 16-bit. It SOUNDS a lot like 8-bit though.)

As anyone who has read my profile knows, I'm quite the fan of the relatively obscure PS1 RPG Legend of Legaia. It's time that you experienced the Mist firsthand (and no, NOT Ike's sister!!!). Dark enough for the atmosphere of the game while still perfect for the would-be final boss.

EDIT: My avatar is also from an attack used during this video. I'm not going to to a media embed here because it's literally a 30 minute long video (the battle is about 1/3 to 1/2 that), but

. The best image I could find comes in the background at 14:55. Edited by Randomly Predictable

Having lately been playing the Super Robot Wars games, I have come to enjoy many of it's music. I know that most of those are actually anime songs, but among it's original content, I'd say it also has very good music.

With the above being one of my most favorite.

Shadow of the Colossus's soundtrack is unique in that you could listen to it and appreciate it without even having played the game beforehand.

It's so emotional, too. I feel terrible for killing the Colossi. :(

Anyway, I think it goes without saying that the Castlevania series, as a whole, is absolutely phenomenal. And no, I'm not talking about Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Beginning. Those tracks, while good, have been remixed so many times it's not even funny, and they're terribly overrated. Some actually great tracks would be:

from Curse of Darkness

Dark Night Toccata ~Walter's Theme~ from Lament of Innocence

from Super Castlevania IV

New Messiah from Belmont's Revenge

from Castlevania Chronicles

Among other things. Other good soundtracks...the King of Fighters series has intense soundtracks usually, with such diversity in genre and excellent compositions. A good example of a great song would be

I also really love Intelligent Qube's soundtrack. Takayuki Hattori is a genius. I don't feel like typing any more so just listen to

and

Lots of other stuff I don't feel like posting about right now.

Going to start with the entire Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 soundtracks; David Wise is a genius.

Agreed (also the DKC3 soundtrack isn't bad either, I'd say). Additionally, I like the vast majority of the music from all 4 Ace Attorney games (especially Trials and Tribulations) and Radiant Dawn.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

This thread could use some more of what might be the best VGM that I've yet to hear. It's old, but it's amazing. So good, that it even made a cameo in Super Mario RPG.

There's way too many to list them all.

FE Radiant Dawn

-The black knight lives

-Sorrowful prince pelleas

-Oliver's Fall (SSBB Power Hungry Fool)

-Beauty is a mad Mistress

-Everything Hereafter

FE Path of Radiance

-To challenge Ashnard

FE Sacred Stones

-The Return of the Demon King

Golden Sun

-Battle Theme

-Mercury Lighthouse

Pokemon Crystal

-Lance/Red theme

Pokemon X*D gale of darkness

-Mirror B battle

-Vs. Shadow Lugia

Super Mario World

-Castle Theme

Edited by Isaac55

There's way too many to list them all.

Golden Sun

-Battle Theme

-Mercury Lighthouse

Well, I personally found the Venus lighthouse music superior to the Mercury Lighthouse music, but it's your call.

Now, I know that it's because both scores were written by the same composer, but I find the music in the final dungeon of Tales of Symphonia (Mithos' Castle) to be quite similar to that of the Venus Lighthouse music in Golden Sun. Agree or disagree?

Most of my favorite VG music made it into Super Smash Bros. Brawl, especially the Metroid and Zelda tracks. I tend to like a lot of FE music as well, my favorite being On Glory's Wings in FE10.

I specialize in the RPG, hence my selection of songs. Unfortunately, excluding MOTHER (and FE), there is no RPG music on Brawl. :( And for some reason, I found Melee superior. Maybe it's more that I really got into RPG's after Melee, so I had time to enjoy it for what it was, but still, everything I've heard suggests that Brawl is far superior.