Watch out, there's a virus about!

CrashGordon94

If you download something and "XP Guardian"/"Antivirus XP 2010"/"XP Internet Security 2010" comes up, it's not an Antivirus, it's malware!

Also, it hijacks IE and Firefox wehn you start them up and starts up whenever you run an .EXE file, and it has phony warnings too.

Further details and how to remove it (should you come into contact with this thing) can be found here. (try to use Chrome if you can, as I said, it screws up IE and Firefox)

I didn't notice that I'd been infected by this until like a day after it was there. Made me waste like seventy bucks getting my computer fixed after I failed at getting rid of it.

Being computer illiterate is fucking hell.

I didn't notice that I'd been infected by this until like a day after it was there. Made me waste like seventy bucks getting my computer fixed after I failed at getting rid of it.

I subscribe to the school of "never pay anyone to fix your computer ever ever ever ever ever". My computer has died and been revived like 6 times. My dad's old computer's motherboard melted.

Most people know this, I would guess. But thanks for the heads up anyways.

Yeah, I figured at least some would, but this is a sneaky virus, and I got it off the Photobucket bulk uploader, and there are a lot of Photobucket users here, so I thought I'd mention it.

Ouch, sorry man! ;_;

You might wanna bookmark the site I linked to, they seem to have a lot of helpful stuff! ^_^

I subscribe to the school of "never pay anyone to fix your computer ever ever ever ever ever". My computer has died and been revived like 6 times. My dad's old computer's motherboard melted.

I didn't have that option if I wanted to continue using it. Otherwise I would've. Maximizing laziness is key in these situations, you see, but even I have my limits.

Ouch, sorry man! ;_;

You might wanna bookmark the site I linked to, they seem to have a lot of helpful stuff! ^_^

Nah, I'm staunchly against learning my lesson the first time. It's going to take a lot more virus coming my way to make me actually protect myself properly.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Nah, I'm staunchly against learning my lesson the first time. It's going to take a lot more virus coming my way to make me actually protect myself properly.

Now that's just ridiculous! -_-

Why would you want to purposely screw yourself? What do yoiu gain from that?!

Now that's just ridiculous! -_-

Why would you want to purposely screw yourself? What do yoiu gain from that?!

Nothing; that's the point of being lazy. >__>

You just found this out?

It's not that surprising; I think this virus is relatively new.

Life lesson

Anti virus isnt free no matter what

It's not from downloading anti-virus programs (at least, mine didn't), it merely tries to pass itself off as your Windows Anti-Virus.

How did it even get installed?

To avoid shit like this, the basic rule of thumb is never to install executables that you haven't heard of before. That's, like, Internet Safety 101.

One of the worst f-in viruses to get rid of...There are versions out of it for vista and 7 as well...No, I didn't get it, but I had to remove it from a computer, which took hours of research to do. Basically, it spreads throughout your OS and unless you kill it all, it'll just recopy itself throughout your system.

It installs via the windows update system. It tricks the computer into thinking it's a legitimate windows update and goes that route. The program is basically one giant scam though, It's a massive pain in the rear though to remove...

The program works by running a fake scan of the system that picks up real items off of your OS or other programs (like the SIMS computer game), that if you remove would more than likely break your OS anyhow. But to the non-computer savvy person, it might look like you have tons of "real" viruses and malware. If the user tries to click the remove infection, it takes you to a website and asks you to buy the real thing. (hence the scam).

Removal Link

Edited by Hatari

• 2 weeks later...