Rate That Pokemon B/W Day 1: Snivy/Servine/Serperior

Venusaur

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many Pokemon RTUs?

• Do you even have to ask?
    • YES
    • Don't care
    • Hey, having to parse through the topic titles is a challenge! You guys are just wimpy complaing about it, and... (it goes on forever)

Rules (adapted from Fire Emblem RTUs and shamelessly stolen and adapted from Knuckles/Folgore Blue/other previous names I can't remember):

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly. You can spray_trollface_copy.png a bit,

but no SEWADDLE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

- This RTU series is for Black and White, not Black 2 and White 2. Don't include anything about the latter.

* +/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a Pokemon above 10 or below 0. Try to keep it easily calculable, for my sake.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I can (or feel like), but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. If not enough votes are in, the current ranking continues on the the next day.

- A Pokemon being inferior relative to another Pokemon does not reduce their rating, though it may be mentioned. Just don't factor it into the rating itself.

Remember, it's about what the Pokemon can do.

- HOWEVER, if it locks you out of the other choices (starters and fossils, mainly), up to one point may be deducted.

- If a vote is unacceptable (rule breaking, terrible reasoning, etc.) , I'll give you a chance to revise it, and explain why it was rejected.

- We are rating in-game performance only, up until the Elite 4 is beaten the first time. Trade evolutions are A-OK, as are in-game trades.

- Evolution lines get condensed, so treat, say, Snivy/Servine/Serperior all as one unit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snivy, the grass starter that seemed so promising, but kinda fell flat, stat-wise. It tends to be a bulky set-up sweeper no matter which stage it's in, with good defenses, natural set-up moves, and great Speed, but mediocre attacking stats. Unfortunately, this lack of immediate power hurts it, as it makes fights take that extra bit longer, not something that's good in-game. And even its sweeping capabilities are flawed, as its movepool is shallower than a Dollar General kiddy pool, with only Normal moves and Aerial Ace for coverage (Dragon Tail comes way, way too late). Leaf Tornado's also not the best move to be stuck with until Leaf Blade at Lv. 32.

Leech Seed and the screens are the only notable support moves it gets, not really worth too much.

As for Gyms, well, it's debatable whether this or Meganium does worse at them. It's only super effective against Clay, while it faces trouble from Burgh, Elesa (everything has a SE move), Skyla, Brycen, and Drayden/Iris. Ouch. The E4's a little better, though not by much, because it at least isn't hitting NVE against everything. It works kinda well on Marshal, though watch for Mienshao. N and Ghetsis just give it a hard time, especially in White, what with all the SE moves flying around. Just swap it out for Reshiram/Zekrom.

But, Snivy does get you an early Panpour, which is a plus, as it's the best of the three monkeys, and takes a bit of the sting out of missing out on Oshawott. I'll get to Panpour on its own time, though.

6/10 from me, as it at least is early, and can help throughout the whole game. Plus, it looks kinda cool, but not enough to get any bias points.

Let me know if the rule changes I've made are OK!

Edited by Venusaur

Fairly meh. Poor offensive stats and a movepool consisting of mostly Grass and Normal moves aren't helping him one bit, and his support options aren't that great either. Then there's Water types being much less common than before, that pretty much nails him as the worst starter. I guess he makes a decent setup sweeper with moves like Growth and Coil.

5.5/10

Meganium got some spores and Razor Leaf super early, and could at least use Earthquake. BW2 Snivy has it even worse (sucks against the first FOUR gyms due to poison gym).

Snivy here has massive movepool problems (Grass, Normal, Rock Smash, Hidden Power, Aerial Ace and Dragon Tail). Unlike other Pokemon with moveset problems (like Liligant), Serperior has nothing exciting in its movepool (no status spores, no boosting movesIt's got stat problems as well (75 base attacking stats are ewwwww). Fast Leech Seed is about all it has, and even then Whimsicott can do that better because it has Prankster.

3-1 = 2/10 - Fast leech seed, 100% availability and early Panpour is all it has for it. Negative bias comes from its ability to somehow lose its arms during evolution, which is just really weird, and for always trolling me by getting HP Grass every time I use it..

...I feel like a terrible jerk. >.<

Edited by Lucina

<insert rant about how grass starters are bad, especially so when they make the first gym leader not rock>

His movepool and coverage is way too bad with pretty much exclusively normal and grass moves. Both offensive stats are pretty bad for a starter... Growth and Coil aren't going to save 75 base attack/spattack.

- bias for being a banana.

4/10

Edited by Ninja Caterpie

BW2 Snivy has it even worse (sucks against the first FOUR gyms due to poison gym)

I knew I forgot something! This is for B/W1, so don't include anything about the sequels. I'll add it to the rules!

Hooray, more RTP!

Fairly meh. Poor offensive stats and a movepool consisting of mostly Grass and Normal moves aren't helping him one bit, and his support options aren't that great either. Then there's Water types being much less common than before, that pretty much nails him as the worst starter. I guess he makes a decent setup sweeper with moves like Growth and Coil.

5.5/10

Edited by ZM456

Ugh, not another one of these!

I actually HATE all the Black/White starters.

I won't mind ditching them for another Pokemon.

Snivy is ugh. Disgusting.

Most of the points about it have been said.

3/10 for being poop.

And here I thought most people would have the opposite reaction. "Ugh, not another one of these!"

I'm good with it.

5.5/10. Not much for me to say that wasn't said already.

SMUGLEAF 10/10

Seriously though, Snivy has a lot of undesirable traits that prevent him from competing with the other two starters. My first issue with this line are his stats. Defensively, he has 45HP/55def/55spd, which goes up to 60/75/75, and ultimately 75/95/95, which means that this line has some decent bulk, but it's nothing to get a woodie over since Grass is god awful defensively. As for offenses, 63 spe(113 as Serperior)is good, but 45 in either attacking stat(75 as Serperior), combined with Grass typing and a meager offensive movepool means that Snivy has major issues dealing acceptable damage. Granted, he does learn Growth at Lv13 and eventually Coil at Lv36 to compensate, but let's face it: it hurts.

Speaking of his movepool, it sucks. As far as his offensive choices go, Serperior is mostly stuck with Grass and Normal moves, which give out crap type coverage. Like, the only attacking moves he gets that aren't one of those two types are Aerial Ace, Rock Smash, and Dragon Tail.

As for his gym matchups, Snivy is, well, awful in that regard. Discounting the first gym, where all three starters have a disadvantage, he only has a type advantage against Clay, is roughly neutral against Lenora, and loses to Burgh, Elesa(even though she mains electric, all her Pokes have moves that can SE Servine), Skyla, and Brycen(Drayden as well, but that's due to Smuglord doing fuck all to his dragons.). I don't exactly remember trainer lineups, but I'm pretty sure that water/ground/rock trainers are hard to come by in Unova.

While Snivy isn't the worst Pokemon out there, he does have major flaws, but at least he does net you Panpour. But I'll get to Panpour when it comes.

Crap offense+crap typing+crap movepool=mediocre.

Edited by Mercenary James