The fox lair (Ren Ookami's graphic zone)

Ren Ookami

Why the fox lair ? because the "Ren" of Ren Ookami comes from "Renard", what mean fox in my native language. So, you're warned, I am not a native english speaker. So, about this topic, it will function in two levels. The sprites will be shown on new posts, but do not copy past them from there please, as on higher level I will update my personal library in this first post each time I'll submit something.

I am member of EmblemSpriters on DeviantArt, with the same username, so it is easy to find me back. Why copying the pictures only from here is simple, more clicks mean a better placement on the image searchs, what is how pepole usualy find our sheets and sprites, and since I will separate free to use, to project sprites on this post, it make things easier for everyone if they can find this preface instead of randomly rebloged pictures. Please considere of using IMG (in BBcode or HTML) instead of saving and rebloging too, as linking back is a easy way to everyone to find the original work.

Free to use sprites are for non comercial purpose only, and always with credit given to all the authors of the sheet. Yes, all, because I often do collabs on DeviantArt and multiple authors are making them. If you want a sprite assisstant to finish a unfinished work, feel free to contact me, as I am not the creator type but most of time a graphical assisstant.
[spoiler=An exemple of work I done]fe_footman_spritesheet_by_russellclark-dfe_footman_sheet__edited_by_renookami-d7

In "reserved to me" section will mostly go animations, but by viewing them I entrust you the duty of not stealing them, you have been publicaly warned. I will release them mostly because I want some constructive critiques from the comunity on my work in progress before DeviantArt release, since you are a fire emblem comunity, it is revalent conserning fire emblem sprites.

I will not post all what is on my DeviantArt, but since most of the sprite links are from there the pictures will auto-updates if I improve my sheets presents in here. Go in the DeviantArt gallery if you're interested to see more of my works.
Thank you if you read this preface, now enjoy the gallery.

[spoiler=Free to use ^.^]
[spoiler=Lyn (heavy sword) consept]fe__lyn__heavy_sword_moveset__by_renooka

[spoiler=Lyn (heavy sword) sheet]lyndis_ex_by_renookami-d81hi3e.png

fe_lc__arachne_centaurus__sheet__by_reno
fe_footman_sheet__edited_by_renookami-d7
fe_sea_tileset_by_renookami-d7au6qe.png
fe__recrute__male__by_renookami-d7gm44j.fe__pupil__base__by_renookami-d7gts0i.pn
984e12e8589218f83e324e69e1e4114c-d7a63m7
fe_pegasi_alone_by_renookami-d7cvxce.png

[spoiler=Not to use è.é]
5c0ac41f1f35b863bbaf0335ab543ef1-d7cxf9v
fe__manakete_mod_by_renookami-d80u2ny.pn
sprite_beta_001_by_renookami-d7r7sxw.png
drago_10.gif
laguz_bird_tribe_sprite_by_renookami-d79
laguz_beast_tribe_sprite_by_renookami-d7

[spoiler=Animations]
fe__manakete_cast_loop_by_renookami-d816fe__manakete_charge_loop_by_renookami-d80fa200560ecb0a1b5b506c200908f18f-d816gm1
swift_by_renookami-d7jfcjq.gifbeta_2_by_renookami-d7ctsds.gif
fe__arachne_centaurus_by_renookami-d81is
[/spoiler
[spoiler=Artworks]
lc__august_and_neroy_by_renookami-d81atv

Edited by Ren Ookami

Thanks. Fa's mod is a boss of my project, supposed to be a adult form of dragon of light, or at least older than her. I will release later a sheet free to use of the generic version, blue with no markings (and no spell cast animation) if you guys are interesterd in it. These marking versions are reserved for my projects.

Dragoncat:
Nice to find you Dragoncat, I'll do the sheets of those laguz someday, so since the base of cats is your, you also have the right to use the sheets if you want.

Riku:
Thanks, and yes I'm a member of emblem spriters on DA ^^

Now time for an important update ! after six hours of work, Prototype Lyn have comes to life again ! I don't know if someone already done it before, but here is my try at it. You can do editions if you want, since improvments can be made (and will be done in my personal sheets), so, give it a try if you're interested in training at composing/editing a sheet, or if you simply need the sprites for a hack.

Be shure to download it from DeviantArt to avoid any resized issues.

Description of deviantArt version:

Six hours of work to compose this comparative sheet. Most of the sprite are the originals of course, but compiled into custom movesets labbeled "A", "B" and "C" for each part of the moves. Lines labelled "O" have no edition to the move and stand for "origin". I belive I am not the only one waiting this since the release of "Protoype Lyn" sheet, so because we are never better served than by ourselves I made my version instead of waiting anymore.

Because I can !headbang.gif

The sheet is in creative commons, free to use if credit is given, but for non comercial purposes only. It is named "Do it Yourself" because I made several moves but you have to choose between the possible combinasons to make your own moveset, depending on your needs and how you want your character
[spoiler=Lyn (heavy sword)]fe__lyn__heavy_sword_moveset__by_renooka

If you have critiques and want to help improving the sheet, feel free to comment and/or post links to the parts of moveset you edited.

Edited by Ren Ookami

Look at this version on DeviantArt (link), it seems that the forum do not update linked images. There is a list of the custom sprites I added, since for some frames the Lyn's need to be synchro in precise places. And I used the base of SpriterRessources (link). "Heavy sword Lyn" is a completion of "prototype Lyn", but not named prototype as it is a finished sheet now. It is said in the description both here and on DeviantArt.

In the change I made in sprite editing were adding missing slashs from both vesions of Lyn, the "lyn X5" before the critical B, editing some assassin slashes to make the Critical A combo, adding the magical attack for those who want to use heavy magical swords (as base sword) using Roy and FE8 swordmaster, then using the Lyn prototype sprites to make custom movesets ready and easy to use for pepole to make their sheet. It is of course a completion of existing sheet, thus why it look somehow the same, but compare the version of DeviantArt and the original sheet on SpriterRessource and you will see that my version allow way more moves, ready to use.

A completion will always look somehow like the original, but if you want to compare quickly (again said in the description) the original moves from "prototype Lyn" are the ones labelled "O" for Origin. (again, compare on the updated shet what is on DeviantArt and the First post what is a referencing of the sheets/sprites I made for the comunity, not the previous post) The sprites used may be the sames in some parts, what is important is the movesets what allow a use of the sheet, since it was the goal of this sheet, being not weak on animations because "prototype lyn" really was weak on those compared even to the basic lord Lyn.

My only claim and credit is for the editions and moveset exemples, not the base what of course is "prototype lyn" as mentioned multiple times (the list of bases used is on the sheet too). I hope this explaination have answered to your questions.

You're definite prolific. I would give the Footman a more comfortable/natural standing frame. You can probably just tack it on to the beginning of the animation. At least turning them into gifs will give you an idea on how good they really are, and help you identify a lot of problems you can't see otherwise. If you're interested in learning how to create animation packages, there's a chapter in Blazar's ultimate guide.

i mean like, the custom sprites look like re-organized vanilla sprites put together. I'm still not sure what's going on.

the sword user with the sleeves is neat though

Dewey:
Like I said, the sheet is a completion of Prototype Lyn, a new version of the sheet if you prefear, so of course a part of the work was to reorganize the sprites to create better movesets than the original sheet shown. If (again) you look at the deviantart version, you will see that I spliced and made missing frames, not just a copy-past of the prototype. After all, it took 6h (even if I know I am slow at work) so it's not a simple copy-past.

The goal, again, was to provide a version easier to use, what allow more moves for pepole to be creative by using it as base, thus the "do it yourself". It is a comunity contribution for pepole wanting to use Prototype Lyn (no matter if it's for durandal or a generic heavy sword style) and help creating the missing frames for pepole being able to do so even if they are hackers but no spriters. It is a "assisstant" type of work on a existing character, at the opposite of the Arachus sheet what implied to splice to create a new character.

I don't claim creating prototype lyn at all, like I said it is no more than what it is really, a completion of the prototype to create a more legit and usable sheet.
There is a huge diference between "creator" sheets (like Arachus and the dancer swordman) and "assisstant" sheet (like Lyn). Othersare between the two types, like the dragon of light, but creating a sheet is not necesseraly creating 100% new consepts, it can also being improving an existing one.

deranger:
Footman base sheet was not from me, my version is a collab done for the author (you can compare them in the 1st post as it is the exemple of work I give) and on the ask of the collab was to create a solider of the army, that is why the idle pose is like the solider class. They are not supposed to be "natural" but follow army rule, it is the generic guard stence.

Conserning the animations, I know how to do it but using a templade to calibrate their range hackwise would maybe help doing better gifs.
I'll considere it in the future for the moveset animations, no need for the separate samples.

And yeah, I'm an active spriter, not taking alot of request of "can you create this ?" but doing collabs as assisstant on unfinished sheets mostly.

Edited by Ren Ookami

Wait,is yours the right or left footman?

[spoiler=critique for left footman]

I don't think any army would make their soldier's stand with such a torso twist for any extended period of time (he is holding his sword in his left and his shield in his right hand the whole time, correct)?

The right's standing frame is fine, at least physically.

deranger:
All is written on the sheets. Left (blue shield) was the original I was asked to correct, because there were mistakes of poses, Right (red shield) is mine and have my name in addition in the credits. Of course the soliders might have a off battle reste pose, but when the ennemy is in sigh they go guard pose (also true when another solider is near, noone want to be called a slacker, right ? xD) so when the battle start they are in guard pose, not rest one.

To everyone:
Also, on the updates, I started modding some samples of monsters for halloween, but DeviantArt crashes when I try to update the picture, so I'll update it on Serenesforest only at the end of month. If some of you have suggestions of monsters based on the FE8 sheets, tell me, you'll get credited for consept idea.
Some of them are already on DeviantArt, for those who are curious to see them.

deranger:

Usualy my credits goes this way:
Rip- not often put I admit, since it's about official sprites, It's for the person(s) who ripped the sheets used.
Consept- If a requester want the work to be based on a OC of him, for exemple, and done no graph part in the sheet.
Base- the original content I actualy used as base, like the sheet of left in the footman case (can already have multiple authors)
Editons- the additional editing process made in the released version, points the last editor.
Thanks- optional special thanks, rarely put exept for comunity or personal gift

In the case of someone editing my work, my name would jump to the "Base" section in addition to the other authors, the new bersion being based on mine, and basicaly "Edition" point out who did the changes between the previous version and this one. Those sheets are often labelled "custom" or "mod", so since my credits are based on technical timeline I wanted another word than those. The labells are somehow related to how we work in collabs on DA, after some time in sprite edition it's just became an habit to labell it like that in my case, but if you want to tell me how should be really labelled my part of work, go ahead.

Brendor:
As I am myself a bow user for personal practice I know, but it was originaly to add some funny fact conserning the archer trainee,
thus the critical of having the bow high "because the arrow always fall too low usualy". Maybe some sprite humour is not that good
so I will probably fix it for a correct pose instead. Thanks for the advice, I was waiting for how pepole see his stence since a long time.

Edition refers to a version of something, like the paper back edition of a book. I guess it could make sense if you said Personwhomadeedit's edition, meaning it's their version of the sheet. The word you're probably looking for is addition, or something that's been added on.
Homophones can be confusing.

Edited by Toa

Edition have the double meaning of the "book edition" type of meaning and the "making changes to something" but it is the term used in my native language for files changes as "you have edited (made changes in) them". That is mostly the reason I considered it as correct, so here come the cultural diferences problems. ^^"

Addition don't sounds as good, but at least there is no confusion, so I'll start using it in the future sheets. Thanks for the tip, and maybe someone should write a guideline for spriters to labbel correctly their works. I'm shure that I am not the only one who used this "wrong" labbel, and non native on english languages shure are not the only ones who make this mistake ^^"

I think the standard (in US-English) is:

Splice/Fusion: Where you put two or more separate sprites together to make something new

Mod: Where you have a pre-existing sprite and are painting over it to create something 'new'. Sometimes you can tell what the original item was.

Repaint: Same as a mod, but very specifically aiming to keep the base form intact (so you could easily swap between the new and the original sprites)

I think the confusing part is you're just saying 'credits to this mod and this original, here are all the parts and you can figure out how they all relate, right?'. A clearer way would be something like 'cleanup edit by Ren of Russell's footman mod of the Fire Emblem 7 soldier class', or 'X by Ren, made with centaur and gargoyle sprites from Fire Emblem 8'. It might be better for you to just learn what the proper terms are and write the credits in your native language.

Edited by Lenh

• 2 weeks later...