Serenes Forest Music Geeks Club

I've been thinking a lot about doing this again, even before I returned to these forums, because of how awesome our music club was last time.

I probably found one of my favorite groups from some guy who shared an unknown group's bandcamp ~3-5 years ago, so I'd like to return the favor to the other users of this fine forum, in a fun group that I lovingly call "The Music Geeks Club".

Important Stuff:

Previous Album Recap

Week 1 (Done): Eels - Electro Shock Blues, Run the Jewels - Run The Jewels II, Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Coming Up

Week 2: O'Brother - Disillusion, Life Without Buildings - Any Other City, Michael Hedges - Live on the Double Planet

On Deck: Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire, Death Grips - The Powers That B

Form results

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IPXqNxzT7RfIJ3eKMmTAiGChxA9V2QOFTjlxfBNkqWo/edit?usp=sharing

Group Listen Date: TBD

______________________________________________________________________________________

Overview

Because this may be a long post, I'll underline the most important stuff for you

===============================================================================

Here's how it works:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Y0ogZKuFPXhDZBKq0MmtIEtc4WANSrR8ZIOh02Euspo/viewform?usp=send_form

Submitting an album

Step 1: Submit your album to that link above

Step 2: Post in the thread to introduce the album to other users

Step 3: Wait patiently for your turn

Note: If you have already had a suggestion looked at by the club, I will adjust your priority on future suggestions so everyone gets an opportunity to share. This does not mean you'll never get a chance to share again!

No album? No problem!

Since the last thread, I've discovered a website that will make it a lot easier for us to listen to music; similar to that of plug.dj

http://wavelength.fm/SerenesForest

You may upload files to this website, and it will play them, it works similarly to plug.dj (IT IS NOT A FILESHARING SITE, YOU CANNOT SIMPLY DOWNLOAD THE MUSIC). Please also note that this site may not play nicely with your browser, I suggest trying a different browser in the event this happens (I was using Pale Moon initially, but I had to switch to Chrome)

Once things get off the ground, we can start scheduling group listening times.

I have a volafile linked in the Google Form, but that's as far as I'm willing to go, in the way of actually sharing music. That should have all of our bases covered as far as being able to actually listen to the albums. Youtube and Spotify ought to be helpful as well (though I really would rather not use YT for music).

Listener's Guide

This is the entire point of the club:

Share your opinions of the albums which people took time to share.

People are bound to have different taste, so some degree of respect is expected, after all, these folks cared enough to share their music with you. On the other hand, speak your mind with regards to the music itself. Be as brief, or long as you desire. If you don't have time to give a page-long response, simply a sentence or two will do. This whole group won't be kept alive by me, it's going to happen because of YOU. Listening and participating in music discussion is the most important part of the group. Share your music, and then please stick around to give other people the same courtesy given to you. If you get nothing else from what I'm saying, please remember this.

Rules

1. Submissions are first come, first serve (generally)

2. Please let people know if content of an album is objectionable, album art is NSFW, etc.

3. When posting an album intro in thread, include album art if possible and try to include some info on the album's genre / style (be brief)

4. Durng group listening, only the sharer is allowed to touch the controls of the wavelength room

=============================================================================

______________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, now that the wall of text is done, anyone have thoughts for ways to improve ANYTHING here?

Edited by SirBrickingtonCrushworthy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Eels-Electro-Shock_Blues-Frontal.jpg?273

This album was recorded by the guy after basically everyone he loved died. it's full of sadness and emotion, to the fucking brim. it's a selfie of the soul, man. It is the single most moving album I have ever heard, shit brought me to tears before, several times. the first time I heard it was right after my grandfather died, and it was like getting hit in the face with a bucket of cold holy water. i guess you could call it electro-folk, or indie rock. whatever it is it's great

[spoiler=samples]

first song off the album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfz_bCwhYo

Run The Jewels - Run the Jewels II

RunTheJewelsRTJ2.jpg

This album's essentially one big collaboration between the two rappers featured in the album, you'll hear them referred to as Mike and LP. It's pretty intense as far as rap goes, though unlike other hardcore hip hop acts, stylistically it stays truer to the roots of hip hop forgotten by groups like clipping., and to a larger extent, Death Grips. Gangsta Boo and Zach De La Rocha are notable features on this record.

The submissions list viewable by everyone now

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IPXqNxzT7RfIJ3eKMmTAiGChxA9V2QOFTjlxfBNkqWo/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by SirBrickingtonCrushworthy

i-i'm not a geek

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

3a153b1e770db1d2f838dd8a6f6be25c9bffe668

Might as well make a classic album my first submission. This is maybe the prettiest album I've heard, and it's one of my favorites. Lyrically, it tells the story of a man returning from the Vietnam War to find his home country filled with injustice. Musically, it's a vocally-driven soul/R&B album that pretty much flows from start to finish. Every note Marvin Gaye sings just levels me (which means he was the Frank Ocean <3 of his time... actually, I got into this album because I heard someone say Frank Ocean was the Marvin Gaye of our time). Much love for this one.

[spoiler=Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)]

(Took me forever to write the description for this because I don't really know what to say other than "it's good" or "I like it.")
Hope I did an okay job at describing the album...

O'Brother - Disillusion

943073_619603078051425_204998737_n.jpg

Might as well start with my favorite album. With their three guitar assault, cryptic lyrics, and moody/airy atmosphere, Disillusion is one of the most unique albums I've heard, as it's very hard to describe what O'Brother is exactly. There's a lot of focus on groove and walls of sound on this one. Also some very passionate and emotional vocals here too.

[spoiler=Context & Parasitical]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJQzwA-wmQ

You don't have to strain yourself to explain things. If you can't do much at the moment, don't worry.

The important part is providing the album. I think I want to start with three albums for a week and kick it off now, to just see how it goes.

Anyone have an idea for a good wavelength time, like Friday or Saturday night?

sunday seems like a good day for me too, typically.

[spoiler=michael hedges -- live on the double planet]maxresdefault.jpg

There's a lot to say about this man. I wanted to choose an album that I feel adequately explains who he his and what it is that he does in just one album. What many would describe as "New Age" due to who he was signed with, he personally described his music jokingly as "Heavy Mental," "Thrash Acoustic," and "Deep Tissue Gladiator Guitar." I'd categorize it as "fingerstyle guitar," because it's typically guitar-only instrumental music (though he sang in his later albums too).

Anyway, talking about the actual music, it's hard to describe the overall feeling--he likes to take his audience on a roller coaster of energy. Because it's a live album, there's also no continuity between the songs in the context of them all coming from the same album (so, I would argue no shared ideas between them). He uses alternate tunings often, but other than that he follows common ideas had in terms of harmony, rhythm, etc. By this I mean it's not experimental or avant garde in the style of composition and play.

There's a lot of percussive elements to it (Hedges, Preston Reed, Don Ross, and Vicki Genfan were huge innovators in playing guitar), as well as tons of intricate and subtle guitar techniques that at some points make it seem like there's more than a single guitar being recorded.

[spoiler=sample]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3439l4HR0

While any night's fine (for me), I just don't know if I'll be able to be on at certain points, although, I think that's not really the point. But, people seem to be suggesting Sunday, so that's fine by me.

Cool, I need more albums to listen to. Currently at 800+, working on 1000.

8594a427.jpg

Here is what I consider one of the most criminally underrated albums of the 2000s. Life Without Buildings is a Scottish indie post-punk band that only ever released this album, but in doing so they came up with one of the most novel albums released in the indie/post-punk spectrum. Of course, the vocals are the most memorable element, but I have to something about how the guitar and drums provide the perfect not-quite-jam-not-quite-pop rhythm backdrop which sums to wonderful songs like "Juno" and "The Leanover" which you can't decipher.

The only thing about that time is that's kinda early for me, but living in California, it's probably always going to be early for me. So I suppose a little later would be nice.

You can disregard this post, as my post below contradicts this one sort of.

Edited by Disinnocence

Ah, I guess I'm gonna have to be difficult here, because I can't make it from 6pm to around 9pm as that's when I watch stuff with my family (this is an all week thing too, unfortunately). So, I don't really want to have everyone schedule around me, but I most likely won't be able to make it at that time. In the afternoon would be fine, but I don't know if everyone else would be fine with that, and at night would be good too, but I doubt people on the east coast don't want to stay up till (around) 3am (assuming the group listening sessions take around 3 hours). I don't know, I suppose I might get off one night, but I can't do it at 6pm at least, because I eat dinner then too. So, I don't know.
EDIT: well, it looks like everyone else agrees on 6pm, so I'll probably just have to miss the listening sessions and listen to the albums in the meantime or something.

Edited by Disinnocence

so is this happening right now and i'm in the wrong place or...?

I didn't see a response for time until today, practically. Mind you, I live in Alaska so you guys post and see what I write later than I'd like. Anyway, chalk it up to getting started and let's start a tenative date for Thursday at 7 PM PST, pending feedback from the other members. Shoulda added a time to my original suggestions though.