Serenes Forest Music Geeks Club

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first off, 12-4 P.M (PST) would be perfect for me, but we'll get to that later.
Anyway (if my information is actually correct), it looks like most of Alaska is 1 hour behind PST, and like one small part is 2 hours behind, so I believe we'll be fine on that hopefully?

Edited by Disinnocence

Well, first off, 12-4 P.M (PST) would be perfect for me, but we'll get to that later.

Anyway (if my information is actually correct), it looks like most of Alaska is 1 hour behind PST, and like one small part is 2 hours behind, so I believe we'll be fine on that hopefully?

That's from 11AM-3PM my time, and I can tell you right now that on a Thursday, there is zero chance I will be able to get there in such time. What's wrong with going later in the day?

I'd also like to add that if one of you can get the wavelength working, you won't need me to be there for this broadcast to happen. Let me know if you have any questions or issues with running it.

I can listen to all these albums on my own, in fact, I've already gotten around to Electro Shock Blues. I just have to listen to Marvin Gaye and I've listened to them all for this week.

Anyway, after the wavelength, feel free to start posting your thoughts on the albums.

Edited by SirBrickingtonCrushworthy

That's from 11AM-3PM my time, and I can tell you right now that on a Thursday, there is zero chance I will be able to get there in such time. What's wrong with going later in the day?

Well, as I said in a previous post, I won't be able to make later in the day (6 PM to 9 PM, to be more exact), as it's pretty much the only time I'm not free regularly. I really wish I could as this seems the most convenient for everyone here, but I most likely won't be able to. So, unless we there's another time that would work for everyone, I'll just listen to the albums during the week.

Edited by Disinnocence

Well, as I said in a previous post, I won't be able to make later in the day (6 PM to 9 PM, to be more exact), as it's pretty much the only time I'm not free regularly. I really wish I could as this seems the most convenient for everyone here, but I most likely won't be able to. So, unless we there's another time that would work for everyone, I'll just listen to the albums during the week.

Okay, let's put it to a vote now:

http://strawpoll.me/3898450/

Once we get to my album, there's a couple of things to note.

1. I live in Israel. Time zone is +2 GMT.

2. I work in nightlife. If I'm at work that day, I won't get home until like 5 AM my time which is about 10 PM EST. Word of warning.

ANYWAY, Alexisonfire.

tumblr_m65pr4kdsa1qi8jpx.jpg

This is Alexisonfire's self titled debut album and quite a doozy. The first song (.44 Caliber Love Letter) starts off quite melodic for about a minute and a half (longer on the remastered version) before all hell breaks lose. Searching around the internet, you can find this band described as "post-hardcore" but honestly, they don't really fit any specific genre. The band describes their music as "the sound of two Catholic high-school girls in mid-knife-fight" which is the album art and also another song on the album (A Dagger Through The Heart Of St. Angeles). They lasted about ten years, put out four great albums and then split up.

I got to see them in 2009 just after Old Crows/Young Cardinals came out and they are incredible on stage. They're on a reunion tour right now and if I can find a way to go to a show, I will.

i definitely can't do that, that's 2 am in my timezone

alternatively we could simply each listen to the albums on our own in order and give our thoughts. the wavelength would be ideal though i think

At this point, I think let's just set Thursday as the day we share our thoughts, but Wavelength is there for those who can. In that case, I'll make an executive decision and say that 7 PM PST will be the time.

eels - Electro-shock Blues

the album i picked. y'all know how i feel about this album. 8/10

favourite track: elisabeth on the bathroom floor, p.s. you rock my world

least favourite track:

run the jewels - run the jewels 2

GOD THIS ALBUM IS SO FUCKING GREAT. EL-P IS A FANTASTIC FUCKING PRODUCER. EVERY BEAT ON THIS THING IS FRESH AS HELL, AND THE TWO JUST HAVE SO MUCH GODDAMN FUCKING ENERGY. killer mike can do no wrong.

favourite tracks: jeopardy, oh my darling

least favourite: close your eyes (and count to fuck). the sample gets old fast

Electro Shock Blues was outstanding to me, stylistically I got a big Radiohead vibe, without the britpop element Radiohead has. Really felt like Ween meets the Pixies meets Radiohead for a lot of the album. I'm glad I grabbed this album, and I'd definitely listen again. Cancer For the Cure really stood out to me as their best song, it had energy behind the layers of cynicism found in the band's lyrics, and their musicianship was entertaining on that particular track even moreso than the others. The Eels are an entertaining bunch.

Bottom Line: Adding this album to my library

Run The Jewels II was the album I picked, and it's something I listen to a lot when working out. This album's extremely intense for a good deal of time, and that's the big draw to me. In comparison to other hardcore hip hop they're very conventional, but at the same time, I find they're also probably the most crass and gratuitous lyrically, in their field, as far as my experience has gone. Nonetheless, it's easy to overlook when the instrumentation kicks in, because you know what they're going for. The start of "Oh My Darling Don't Cry" is intense, and it's my number one running track.

Bottom Line: This album keeps me on my toes on the track

What's Going On by Marvin Gaye was alright. Frankly, I felt it was white noise more than anything, partially because the lyrics were so saccharine, and partially because the instrumentation sounded like music you would hear in a soundtrack when someone's trying to introduce your stereotypical hippie character. Mind you, it wasn't displeasing, it just didn't stand out. Nonetheless, I enjoyed Marvin Gaye's vocals, which were probably the strong point of the album.

Bottom Line: I liked it, but I wouldn't listen again

Ah, sorry I'm a little late. I was gonna share my thoughts yesterday, but I was out all day.

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels II
Damn, as a person who's not particularly into hip-hop or the sort (not that I don't like it, I just probably won't listen to it), I actually didn't think I would like it as much as I did, but this one turned out pretty great. The album stays pretty fucking intense throughout, and at just under 40 minutes (even though I do typically listen to longer albums, so it does feel a bit short), it doesn't feel overly long. I might not pick this one up, but I definitely will listen to this again (to get a better scope of the album).
Favorite Tracks: Early, Angel Duster

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues (personal highlight)
As with many others probably, the first thing I noticed is the Radiohead influence (well, not influence per se, but more in that they sound similar), but I also heard touches of The Beatles (I suppose the vocal harmonies sort of reminded me), The Beach Boys (yes, I can't remember which song it was, but it sounded like them to me), and many others. Lyrically, the album is beautiful. I'm usually not emotionally affected by music, but this one definitely got me a little bit. So, I probably will pick this one up some time. Maybe even the vinyl version, because the blue transparent vinyl looks beautiful.
Favorite Tracks: Cancer For The Cure, Hospital Food (loved the jazzy sound of this song), Efils' God, The Medication Is Wearing Off

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
While by far not a bad album, probably my least favorite this week. The problem for me was it all sounded very samey. Like, it's something good to listen to on the radio, or in the background, but I wouldn't really find myself doing an invested listen into this one. The album is very nice sounding though, and I wouldn't mind listening to it again, but I probably won't pick this one up.

Favorite Tracks: Right On, Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)

So, pretty good first week imo.

Edited by Disinnocence

marvin gaye - what's going on

an absolute classic. the quintessential soul/r&b album. my personal favourite of this week (though tbf i love all three albums). the grand, smooth instrumentation goes perfectly with his beautiful voice. the lyrics are subtle but powerful. the story he tells throughout the album is resented but hopeful. every track flows seamlessly into the next. it's just a beautifully crafted work in its entirety. it feels almost like a single, extended song with movements, rather than a fractured album.

favourite tracks: flyin' high, inner city blues

Edited by fuccboi

marvin gaye - what's going on

an absolute classic. the quintessential soul/r&b album. my personal favourite of this week (though tbf i love all three albums). the grand, smooth instrumentation goes perfectly with his beautiful voice. the lyrics are subtle but powerful. the story he tells throughout the album is resented but hopeful. every track flows seamlessly into the next. it's just a beautifully crafted work in its entirety. it feels almost like a single, extended song with movements, rather than a fractured album.

favourite tracks: flyin' high, inner city blues

You know, that is a good point, the way this album flows. I'd definitely agree with this.

Anyway, because of Jenny Death coming out, I submitted another album for us to listen to at some point.

Death Grips - The Powers that B

Love them or hate them, I'm putting this one in the on deck area, because the industrial band fronted by an angry homeless man shouting at the top of his lungs in cryptic rythym is back. Of course, if you've ever run in hipster circles for music on the web for even a moment, you'll know about Death Grips and their shenanigans in their music, and the things outside of it. This new double album was technically being treated like two separate albums until Jenny Death (Disc 2 of this album) came out, since the first disc, Niggas On the Moon, was released in June of 2014. Nonetheless, I believe there's a reason why this was made as a double album, and as such, I believe it ought to be listened together as such. Stylistically, there's a logical progression to their sound, that, ironically, is a lot more polarizing than their earlier work like Exmilitary and The Money Store. Attached are the back and front covers.

post-1609-0-19585400-1427084235_thumb.jpg

post-1609-0-96523600-1427084258_thumb.jpg

something came up and i wasn't able to make the listening session, but the time does work. anyway, my lengthy thoughts

[spoiler=Ramblings With Rare-For-Me Capitalization]Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Electro-Shock Blues is an album that charts a man's journey through depression and all its relative peaks, valleys, and flatlines. The story is in the sequencing, which begins with the lyrically direct "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor," a killer track. Most of the album is informed by its meek guitar playing and unrelentingly bleak tone. The bassline that opens "Going to Your Funeral (Part 1)" doesn't sound so groovy anymore if you've lived "Elizabeth," and the lyrics in "Cancer for the Cure" start to read less like Beck's brand of irony and more like someone actually singing about cancer. Beck is still the most obvious comparison here, but the varied instrumentation and song structures on Electro-Shock are those of a man reaching for something, anything, to pull him out of his depression, rather than Beck's fragmentation-for-fragmentation's-sake. The tone oscillates until "Baby Genius," a really pretty song about childhood innocence inspired by a Christian hymn. This is the track that tears everything down, and the emotional ground zero interestingly gives way to three straight a-man-and-his-guitar ballads that lay a new foundation. (Clearly, the structure of the album was what grabbed my attention the most. It really sounds like a carefully laid-out story). Things pick up again with the borderline-catchy "The Medication Is Wearing Off." Juxtaposing a happy melody with a sad delivery is Songwriting 101, but "Medication" offers the most straightforward pleasures on the album - it's the sound of a man finding a way out of his rut, even if he doesn't know it yet. Such a good song; I listened to it a few more times when I finished the album. Album closer "P.S. You Rock My World" offers an appropriately muted sendoff in the form of a new outlook on life and soaring -but not too high!, because depression- strings. The verses are funny and lame and at-least-he's-getting-out-of-the-house charming. The moral of the song - People who have lived "Elizabeth" could find joy in being shortchanged at the pharmacy, and people who have only listened to "Elizabeth" would like to know where their other nickel is. I felt this album the most when he was at Peak Depression (the first track) and Peak Starting To Heal (the last two), though I liked the other stuff too and would recommend it to others who are sad music-inclined.

Favorite Tracks: "The Medication Is Wearing Off," "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor," "P.S. You Rock My World"

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

This was one of my favorite albums that came out last year, so I'm already very familiar with it. It offers everything you could want in a great hip-hop album: boundless energy, lyrical one-upmanship, cultural relevancy, ageless production, just everything. Killer Mike opens with "I'm finna bang this bitch the fuck out," and by the times he gets to "And me, I might be the closest representation of God you might see," who are we to doubt Him? When he shifts to a personal anecdote later on "Early," there really aren't any reasons left to not root for him. If Mike brings the "I'm being fucked by the system," El-P has his back with enough "fuck the system" for the both of them. El-P is the resident oddball more likely to namedrop Orwell and Philip K. Dick than anyone, and Zack de la Rocha is totally down with that (is "Close Your Eyes" the best verse Zack has ever delivered? probably, yeah). The most important thing the album has going for it is synergy. Songs like "Oh My Darling Don't Cry" and "Blockbuster Night Part 1" get better as they go along because of the way Mike and El tag team them into submission. They're angry, delighted, cocky, heady, and goddammit-I-just-want-to-fuck-and-get-high, and all within 3-minute bursts you can spend many late nights dissecting on rap dot genius dot com. The production kills, by the way, and always will.

Favorite tracks: "Oh My Darling Don't Cry," "Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)," "All Due Respect"

It wasn't exactly inspired of me to pick the most critically-acclaimed piece of music from the 1970s and one of my favorite albums, but here we are. So anyway, What's Going On. The album title has no question mark because it's meant as a declarative statement. As I said when I introduced the album, it tells the story of a soldier returning home from the Vietnam War to a home country full of injustice. The tracks blend seamlessly in an attempt to capture the ebbs and flows of reality (because reality, like, flows, maaaan), and this is contrasted by Marvin's elevated, angelic, often idealistic vocals. A great example of this tension is on "Save the Children," where he rattles off societal ills in spoken word then "reacts" to each with a "soulful version," until he ditches the spoken word thing and lets loose with a choir and all the dressings. "God Is Love," "Right On," and "Wholy Holy" invoke the same stuff, while the other songs are more grounded in reality. It's a flowing back-and-forth, and a story about idealism and fantasy ultimately being left behind. I could ramble on for hours in this way like a 9th-grade essay, but I'll contain myself.
What really makes the album for me is the vocal delivery. The soft power of Marvin's voice really is something-else legendary; the precision is impressive, and it all hits me hard. He sings like someone who was raised by strict parents and is afraid to talk back or raise his voice, but there are moments when he can't keep it bottled up anymore. This is why the choice to sing from the perspective of a soldier - who had just been ordered around by strict superior officers for years in Vietnam - made for such a snug fit. He's subservient, but then he steps off the plane. And within 35 minutes, even sweet little Marvin is able to work out that he is very much tired of the government's shit, which says a lot.
Favorite Tracks: "Flyin' High (In the Friendly Sky)," "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)," "What's Going On"

tl;dr i liked all three albums we all have good taste

something came up and i wasn't able to make the listening session, but the time does work. anyway, my lengthy thoughts

[spoiler=Ramblings With Rare-For-Me Capitalization]Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Electro-Shock Blues is an album that charts a man's journey through depression and all its relative peaks, valleys, and flatlines. The story is in the sequencing, which begins with the lyrically direct "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor," a killer track. Most of the album is informed by its meek guitar playing and unrelentingly bleak tone. The bassline that opens "Going to Your Funeral (Part 1)" doesn't sound so groovy anymore if you've lived "Elizabeth," and the lyrics in "Cancer for the Cure" start to read less like Beck's brand of irony and more like someone actually singing about cancer. Beck is still the most obvious comparison here, but the varied instrumentation and song structures on Electro-Shock are those of a man reaching for something, anything, to pull him out of his depression, rather than Beck's fragmentation-for-fragmentation's-sake. The tone oscillates until "Baby Genius," a really pretty song about childhood innocence inspired by a Christian hymn. This is the track that tears everything down, and the emotional ground zero interestingly gives way to three straight a-man-and-his-guitar ballads that lay a new foundation. (Clearly, the structure of the album was what grabbed my attention the most. It really sounds like a carefully laid-out story). Things pick up again with the borderline-catchy "The Medication Is Wearing Off." Juxtaposing a happy melody with a sad delivery is Songwriting 101, but "Medication" offers the most straightforward pleasures on the album - it's the sound of a man finding a way out of his rut, even if he doesn't know it yet. Such a good song; I listened to it a few more times when I finished the album. Album closer "P.S. You Rock My World" offers an appropriately muted sendoff in the form of a new outlook on life and soaring -but not too high!, because depression- strings. The verses are funny and lame and at-least-he's-getting-out-of-the-house charming. The moral of the song - People who have lived "Elizabeth" could find joy in being shortchanged at the pharmacy, and people who have only listened to "Elizabeth" would like to know where their other nickel is. I felt this album the most when he was at Peak Depression (the first track) and Peak Starting To Heal (the last two), though I liked the other stuff too and would recommend it to others who are sad music-inclined.

Favorite Tracks: "The Medication Is Wearing Off," "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor," "P.S. You Rock My World"

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

This was one of my favorite albums that came out last year, so I'm already very familiar with it. It offers everything you could want in a great hip-hop album: boundless energy, lyrical one-upmanship, cultural relevancy, ageless production, just everything. Killer Mike opens with "I'm finna bang this bitch the fuck out," and by the times he gets to "And me, I might be the closest representation of God you might see," who are we to doubt Him? When he shifts to a personal anecdote later on "Early," there really aren't any reasons left to not root for him. If Mike brings the "I'm being fucked by the system," El-P has his back with enough "fuck the system" for the both of them. El-P is the resident oddball more likely to namedrop Orwell and Philip K. Dick than anyone, and Zack de la Rocha is totally down with that (is "Close Your Eyes" the best verse Zack has ever delivered? probably, yeah). The most important thing the album has going for it is synergy. Songs like "Oh My Darling Don't Cry" and "Blockbuster Night Part 1" get better as they go along because of the way Mike and El tag team them into submission. They're angry, delighted, cocky, heady, and goddammit-I-just-want-to-fuck-and-get-high, and all within 3-minute bursts you can spend many late nights dissecting on rap dot genius dot com. The production kills, by the way, and always will.

Favorite tracks: "Oh My Darling Don't Cry," "Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)," "All Due Respect"

It wasn't exactly inspired of me to pick the most critically-acclaimed piece of music from the 1970s and one of my favorite albums, but here we are. So anyway, What's Going On. The album title has no question mark because it's meant as a declarative statement. As I said when I introduced the album, it tells the story of a soldier returning home from the Vietnam War to a home country full of injustice. The tracks blend seamlessly in an attempt to capture the ebbs and flows of reality (because reality, like, flows, maaaan), and this is contrasted by Marvin's elevated, angelic, often idealistic vocals. A great example of this tension is on "Save the Children," where he rattles off societal ills in spoken word then "reacts" to each with a "soulful version," until he ditches the spoken word thing and lets loose with a choir and all the dressings. "God Is Love," "Right On," and "Wholy Holy" invoke the same stuff, while the other songs are more grounded in reality. It's a flowing back-and-forth, and a story about idealism and fantasy ultimately being left behind. I could ramble on for hours in this way like a 9th-grade essay, but I'll contain myself.

What really makes the album for me is the vocal delivery. The soft power of Marvin's voice really is something-else legendary; the precision is impressive, and it all hits me hard. He sings like someone who was raised by strict parents and is afraid to talk back or raise his voice, but there are moments when he can't keep it bottled up anymore. This is why the choice to sing from the perspective of a soldier - who had just been ordered around by strict superior officers for years in Vietnam - made for such a snug fit. He's subservient, but then he steps off the plane. And within 35 minutes, even sweet little Marvin is able to work out that he is very much tired of the government's shit, which says a lot.

Favorite Tracks: "Flyin' High (In the Friendly Sky)," "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)," "What's Going On"

tl;dr i liked all three albums we all have good taste

damn you just raised the bar dude

i listened to the albums a few days ago, but had no internet...

anyway,

eels: it was okay! reminded me of robert wyatt's "rock bottom," what with the sadness and the emotion invoking songs. favorites include "going to your funeral (part I)" and "ps you rock my world." added to the collection, but i don't expect it to get much listens.

what's goin on: i can't add to what's been said. pretty good album, but it's not my favorite of his. "what's goin on," and "inner city blues" are fantastic fucking songs, though.

run the jewels 2: i've heard this album many times. "close your eyes," "love again," and "lie, cheat, steal" are my favorites.

i'm looking forward to this week's albums!

Electro Shock Blues: Feels like a mix between Radiohead, Tool and Arcade Fire. They definitely understand how to build an album which is a rarity. I really enjoyed it.

Run The Jewels 2: My new closing music. I can't pick out a song I dislike but Angel Duster is probably my new favourite rap song. It's like an American Die Antwoord but much cleaner.

What's Going On: Grew up listening to Motown so I already love Marvin Gaye. Haven't yet listened to the full album though.

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens

blu-exile-below-the-heavens.jpg

Underground hip-hop about just being. No grander than life shit, no big message, no shit about moving coke, just this dude rapping about Being. His life, his experiences, his walks in life below the heavens. Still very powerful. Exile's jazzy, blue production is on point and Blu is a damn good rapper. When this album came out, Blu was being called hip-hop's prodigal son, the next Lupe, etc. He kinda... didn't live up to it, but hey, at least we got this album. One of my favourites ever.

[spoiler=samples]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4OQU8qlSgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLbrn9Rv4rk

I'm changing my pick for this week to Portishead's Dummy

d9de5cb8418633ae40dc126d138e878e7421be06

Just look at that album cover. It's dark, creepy, and positively noir-ish, which when applied to a soundscape of slow-steady drum loops and Beth Gibbons' desparate vocals gives you the album. Right from the opening notes of Mysterons, you'll understand the meaning of trip hop, at the intersection of electronica and hip hop. Sounds like: Massive Attack, DJ Shadow