Dealing with fatigue (FE5)

Seph

I've played FE5 before and I got to Chapter 5, but I got bored of it.

I'm planning on starting another playthrough and since I hate rushing into things recklessly and always like to have a plan, what should I do in order to deal with fatigue?

- Should I switch between thieves, staff users every chapter?

- Should I bring the units on foot to the indoor chapters (about 10 of them) and the mounted characters to the outdoor chapters (about 10 of them)?

That's all I can think of right now.. what else should I do?

Edited by Loputousu

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get all the S-drinks in 14x, and buy some from arena money in 9 if you feel you need to.

Variating is the best, yes, but don't make your squad like 20 big. Most good mounted units (Fergus, Fin, Carrion, etc) don't get fatigued very quickly, so you can afford to use them indoors if you want to.

The most important thing is to get some Stamina Drinks (S Drinks) for your staff users and Lara.

You also might want to switch staff users at least every 2 or 3 chapters. Lara will need a lot of S Drinks later on as a dancer. As for thief, Lifis is your main choice, though you will get Pahn later, so give him S Drink if you want, that wouldn't be hurt.

Thanks for the help, everyone, I really appreciate it.

I'll probably abuse my staff users and Lara the most.

One last question: How many units in total should I use? About 16-18?

Yes, abuse them. Anyone who can use Staff in this game can be considered as great (if not awesome), just make sure their Staff level reached A.

I think 16 - 18 are good, as that was the number of units you can bring to the last chapter. But you maybe you can make it to 20? For the sake of variety and safety back-up units, I guess.

I think 16 - 18 are good, as that was the number of units you can bring to the last chapter. But you maybe you can make it to 20? For the sake of variety and safety back-up units, I guess.

I was thinking of 20 at first until I saw Mekkah's post:

Variating is the best, yes, but don't make your squad like 20 big. Most good mounted units (Fergus, Fin, Carrion, etc) don't get fatigued very quickly, so you can afford to use them indoors if you want to.

It sounded pretty convincing to me.

XD

I know that. But my reason to make it 20 was because of there are so many staff users you find in the game.

I personally like to train them all, some as my main group, and the rest as back-up units in case of my characters get fatigued when I don't have S Drinks. But you don't have to do this if you don't want to. =3

As I said before, most of your fighting units won't get fatigued easily. But your staff users will.

I guess it'll depend whether you'll be arena abusing or not. If you are, be a man and use them all.

As Mekkah said, mounted units don't get fatigued as much... as they usually have higher HP, and fatigue is HP-based. That means you'll indeed want to keep some reserve thieves and staff users, as they'll be getting tired rather quickly.

Remember, though: once an unit rests for one chapter, its fatigue level is resetted to 0. So, it isn't as dreadful as one would think - although it still means that you'll have to take care not to have your core units fatigued in the hardest chapters.

Fatigue is rarely a problem. As long as you're not throwing a single character into all the enemies, it's easily managable.

However, I do recommend a large team. Around 15-20 characters is a good amount. Also, make sure to limit excess healing. Having all your healers fatigued is very annoying. <_<

Also, once someone is fatigued and still in a chapter, just get as much use out of him as possible in that chapter. That way he'll take all the fatigue, get more ahead with EXP so he can afford to sit out a chapter, and your others are gaining no extra.

And plan ahead. I often field like the minimum of required units most of the time so that others can rest as often as possible. I find enemy density slightly too low to warrant huge armies ganging up, and usually some monster like Othin or Fergus can take an entire army on their own anyway. No need for 10 other units tagging along just to kill one more enemy or visit that village when they could be resting from any fatigue they have sustained. No need to field Othin in a pathetically easy chapter right before an extremely hard battle when he is at risk of being fatigued (takes a while for him though).

Train Leaf a lot, especially once promoted, and use him for "filler fights" (fights you don't do for the EXP, but to get rid of an enemy...like, you have a lot of people around him with important stats and weapon levels capped), and Leaf himself does not fatigue. He's also ideal for absorbing ballista and long-range magic fire.

Don't heal or dance for the sake of healing or dancing if you need them next chapter, unless you really want to get them to level up quickly.

I agree with the above, although don't train too many "fighting" units. If you focus on a few each chapter, they can get the bulk of your scrolls and gain crazy levels with crazy level-ups. Forthe majority of the game, I trained about 8 fighters (Leaf, Olthin, Fin, Halvan, Asvel, Shiva, Fergus, Carrion). Fatigue was never an issue, as I'd only need about 4 of them each chapter. Prepromotes like Dean or Sety can help bulk up your army later in the game.

Edited by IOS

I'd recommend to stick with around ~8-10 units that need Knight Proofs for your permanent team, so they can all promote in a reasonable time. With Leaf, Linoan, Dean and Olwen, that already makes for a fairly large team, and there's always the option of waiting a long time with promotion Saphy, since she doesn't really gain a lot from promoting (1 movement and the ability to attack 20 times with Lightning...I never found either useful). Do make sure she reaches A staves before Ch12 though, makes the whole Dakia saga a lot easier.

She isn't the one capturing, but rather the one being captured and stripped of all her possessions if weaponless.

Can't you just keep her away from enemies? She shouldn't be attacked anyway.

On Chapter 4 now. It was really easy and I keep on hearing bad things about this chapter, so let's see how hard it is.

Edited by Loputousu

She isn't the one capturing, but rather the one being captured and stripped of all her possessions if weaponless.

Oh. I see.

But there is a lot of others sacrificial unit, why it should be her? I wouldn't let anyone capture any of my precious Staff users.

There is one gaiden chapter in the late part of game.

To get there, there is a requirement that at least one of your units needs to be captured by the enemy.

But should she get into enemy melee range even once...

That's the main advantage of promoting her; with Lightning, she's at least given a chance of dodging/taking hits, instead of being automatically grabbed by any (and I mean any, given her low build) opponent.

To get there, there is a requirement that at least one of your units needs to be captured by the enemy.

And not rescued.

I never really cared about doing that chapter, to be honest. Well, I got to it once as an experiment, and it looked kinda grim - weaponless, underleveled captured characters locked in rooms, being indirectly attacked by random soldiers.

Edited by TheEnd

Okay, what the hell. I was expecting a challenge out of Chapter 4 and I beat it on my first try (without save states or anything). Almost too easy.

Fatigue doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, but I'll tell you guys about my playthrough if it does become a problem.

Edited by Loputousu

Fatigue doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, but I'll tell you guys about my playthrough if it does become a problem.

Of course it wasn't. You practically have no other characters to use aside from what you have now. XD

Wait until chapter 8 or so I think, then fatigue will be back to bother you again. =3

Except the Repair Staff. That seems to never get stripped from her inventory. I'm sure the game designers wouldn't allow it, as you really cannot finish the game without it.

But should she get into enemy melee range even once...

That's the main advantage of promoting her; with Lightning, she's at least given a chance of dodging/taking hits, instead of being automatically grabbed by any (and I mean any, given her low build) opponent.

And not rescued.

I never really cared about doing that chapter, to be honest. Well, I got to it once as an experiment, and it looked kinda grim - weaponless, underleveled captured characters locked in rooms, being indirectly attacked by random soldiers.

I ALWAYS go to Chapter 21 Gaiden. If you have Silence Staves, you can capture the priests and Bisshops, and take their Thunderstorm&Warp staves. Yes, even the boss can be silenced. Silence him, and using the Thief Staff (Remember her Mag has to be higher than the enemy's Res in order to take their items.) You will have to use the Thief Staff to take the Blizzard and Tornado book from the boss. This is also a chapter to get supplied with more Libro Staves, as you will likely run out at this point in the game. They're scarce until this chapter. You can wait until Turn 20 before opening the doors, so that you don't get swarmed with Torron Mages. Reinforcements stops coming by Turn 20. That is your chance to capture the priests and take their Libro staves. But get this done by Turn 30, because some Fenrir mages will come, and will have fun picking off your characters. Hopefully, you should be done with the Chapter by then. Plus going there gets you ANOTHER Knights Proof.

In all my playthroughs so far, when going to that chapter, it involved Rescue Staff, Repair Staff, Thief Staff, M Up Staff/Holy Water, Dance and run. When you go inside, they start actually burning uses on those Warp staves, and I like having them full for chapters like 24x.

Okay, got to Chapter 7 and decided to call it a day.

Chapter 5 was really annoying. Not because it was hard or anything, but because I had really atrocious luck. I got crappy level-ups and I didn't critical at all with Asvel on the units with Kill weapons.

Not much left until the fatigue part.